Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XIV - Beta Test

Options
  • 12-04-2010 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭

I haven't seen this posted here, but has anyone else signed up for the EU beta test of FFXIV?

I hadn't looked at the official FFXIV site in a long while, but when I popped on today I noticed they were taking applications for beta testers for both the PS3 and PC versions. There's a sizeable application form to fill out, but square say that testers will be picked at random.

To register for the PS3 version you need to register your copy of FFXIII first - certain reg. numbers (think it's just the first-run copies of the game), will give you a registration code that allows you to apply for the beta test. I'm pretty sure you have to get the code in order to apply though. You're guaranteed some in-game item if you register FFXIII too, so it's worth doing.

Official site

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Muwahahaha!
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055776179

I actually like the look of it so far. Graphically, its very good. And i kind of missed the FFXI boat, so look forward to giving this a go (when it eventually comes out). Have they kept the cross-platform servers? Would be nice to get a good game where pc gamers can play with console gamers.

I am pretty jaded with MMO's though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

Damn you Kiith!

I didn't realise that the beta sign-up had been open for so long. I never actually played FFXI because my PC wasn't up to scratch, but I'm big into the Final Fantasy series so I'm hoping this is a good one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

It looks like a nicely crafted world,but I'm not into MMORPGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭carbonkid

Im thinking of giving this one ago depending how i am financially when its released. Never played an mmorpg before, is there a recommended platform? Choices been console or PC of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭Notorious

carbonkid wrote: »
    Choices been console or PC of course.

I suppose that depends on how good your pc is? I'm working off a netbook at the moment, so I'll be going for the ps3 version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I'm looking for PS3 version but i'm a bit wary of getting this game.

WoW sucked up a lot of time and i don't want an exact repeat of that. Also in this, I hope i can find UK & Irish only guilds. Freaking swedes/danish were a nightmare in WoW cause of time difference and them finishing working at 4pm (their time). They always wanted to raid early and make the UK/Irish players rush home.

Notorious wrote: »
    I suppose that depends on how good your pc is? I'm working off a netbook at the moment, so I'll be going for the ps3 version.

Ive both a fairly powerful PC and PS3 at my disposal...which is the better platform though or does it make a difference?

carbonkid wrote: »
    Ive both a fairly powerful PC and PS3 at my disposal...which is the better platform though or does it make a difference?

Probably PC if SE allows add-ons for UI. they didn't in FFXI which ended up being a big selling point for WoW.

Probably PC if SE allows add-ons for UI. they didn't in FFXI which ended up being a big selling point for WoW.

LOL...sorries man i havnt a clue what "SE allows add-ons for UI" means.

Basically in wow you can customize your interface with add-ons ( they are kinda like approved mods ). They improve on the basic ui using information already in code.

• Advertisement

Ah i see now...yea i definitely be wanting some of that.

Im pretty sure there will be lots of robbing from WoW ideas in FFXIV so chances are that will be an option.

Thanx for the advice ^_^

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Signed up for it there. Never got into FF XI dispite having imported it from the states and setting up a us based account to play. I got it as it was the next FF XI in the series and had not played an mmo.

Then came years of wow now quit. Signed up for the beta anyway I'd be interested in a casual experience in the FF world.

I never played IX either...apparently to get anywhere you had to give up at least 6hrs or more of your time on a quest. This one is ment to be more like WoW.

Bumpity bump.

Got a mail today of acceptance to the beta test

Site will be up tommorow where you can log in and download the client apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Same here! beta testing here I come.

Woden, I've just logged in, the site is up!

Woo hoo FF14 here I come

scratch that, the log in failed, it seems it's up for certain amount of time,

the next window will be 10am tomorrow till 8pm

Lousy work. I shall check it out when I get home!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Give yourself a good 10+ hours to download it. They are using a P2P system make sure to open the ports they suggest goes much faster!

Played FFXI since 2004, benn in the Alpha a while now, some aspects of the game are great and some seem to be taken from WOW but definately has that unique Final Fantasy feel to it. Game looks and runs beautifully.

Anyone else that is in Beta want to team up? Makes things much faster, FF has always Bern based around party play.

Another thing to note for potential PS3 owners is that the game has been pushed back to March 11 for release while on PC it's due for release in September 10.

The problem is to do with the way the game was optimised for PS3, it doesn't have enough RAM so they need to redesign it.

A huge problem in the development of FFXI was limitations put on the game by the PS2. While some modifications/scripts where possible on the PC it was nothing like customizable UI on WOW and other things, something I'm hoping won't be a problem this time around with PS3 but it seems to already be the case with the above

• Advertisement

:mad: currently grumpy about game not working for my particular set up, neither laptop nor desktop.

am I testing: yes

having fun: zilcho

Try updating your drivers. I had a problem where it crashed on launch. Needed updated drivers

I tried that: they're already tip top.

I've been glued to the users forum, it's quite a common problem!

I think I'll stick to wow.

In the last few months I've totally gone off JRPGs and Japanese games in general.

I'll just look forward to cata and getting my Worgen Druid alt

33.5% slowly slowly catchy monkey

there's been a slew of upgrades I had to do on my Desktop, but I;m slowly getting there.

yes! 3 days of upgrades, standard vista> 70 odd updates> upgrade to pack one> 50 updates > Upgrade to Pack 2 > 20 or so more updates.

the client is working! (currently downloading) time remaining 25 hours apparently
    :(, but :D

progress!!

Now you just gotta wait for them to get passed these technical difficulties and hopefully we can play haha!

Think its scheduled for Wednesday

scratch that, time waiting: 75 hours :(

• Advertisement

Have you opened the ports? Just leave it over night thats what i did, took about 15/20 hours but it was done.

Advertisement