Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

how long was the contract munster offered him?

he has only signed with stade for 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

CatFromHue wrote: »
    how long was the contract munster offered him?

he has only signed with stade for 2 years.

Apparently it was only a one year contract, can't blame the guy for wanting a bit of security.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

trackguy wrote: »

Best of luck to him, he doesn't owe Munster anything. Fantastic player for us at 15 and at 10 when ROG wasn't available.

Keatley has big shoes to fill.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ah i thought it was a two year contract from munster and he wanted three.

beauxis is leaving stade as far as i know, or he is rumoured to be anyway, so does that mean he has been signed as an out half?

CatFromHue wrote: »
    ah i thought it was a two year contract from munster and he wanted three.

beauxis is leaving stade as far as i know, or he is rumoured to be anyway, so does that mean he has been signed as an out half?

I think he is being signed as a 10.

Skrela has left Toulouse for Clermont, I think Beauxis is rumoured to be replacing him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,184 ✭✭✭Patsy fyre

Lads, what's going on down in munster very lucky to have players in the senior team and nobody in the u 20 team. Are things gone. that bad ?

Patsy fyre wrote: »
    Lads, what's going on down in munster very lucky to have players in the senior team and nobody in the u 20 team. Are things gone. that bad ?

The Combined U20s game at the Aviva really exposed the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Delighted for DOC, was fortunate to have been selected but was outstanding from the get go.

Some of the rubbish being said on here about him the last week was moronic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TheHighRoad

Delighted for DOC, was fortunate to have been selected but was outstanding from the get go.

Some of the rubbish being said on here about him the last week was moronic.

No it wasn't it was valid. Most said he shouldn't be picked because he had been poor all season and it was completely valid and he shouldn't have been picked. It was not rubbish or moronic to say such a thing. He pulled a performance out of the bag and proved the doubters wrong but that doesn't make their opinions any less valid at the time they said it. As they say hindsight is a beautiful thing. For example, you didn't show support for Fitzgerald before yesterday's game (nor did I) but it didn't make those opinions moronic or rubbish at the time. Many complained that Fitzgerald and O'Callaghan didn't deserve to be there and were proven wrong. However at the same time many didn't want O'Leary, Wallace and Leamy there and were proven right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

No it wasn't it was valid. Most said he shouldn't be picked because he had been poor all season and it was completely valid and he shouldn't have been picked. It was not rubbish or moronic to say such a thing. He pulled a performance out of the bag and proved the doubters wrong but that doesn't make their opinions any less valid at the time they said it. As they say hindsight is a beautiful thing. For example, you didn't show support for Fitzgerald before yesterday's game (nor did I) but it didn't make those opinions moronic or rubbish at the time. Many complained that Fitzgerald and O'Callaghan didn't deserve to be there and were proven wrong. However at the same time many didn't want O'Leary, Wallace and Leamy there and were proven right.

Good man yourself

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

O Leary fair enough but Leamy and Wallace were by no means any worse than most of the others on Saturday. I agree with Phat, alot of ****e being spouted about O Callaghan always on this forum. I think it comes from a section of supporters who would prefer to see Leo Cullen starting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

buck65 wrote: »
    O Leary fair enough but Leamy and Wallace were by no means any worse than most of the others on Saturday. I agree with Phat, alot of ****e being spouted about O Callaghan always on this forum. I think it comes from a section of supporters who would prefer to see Leo Cullen starting.

Whatever about Leamy hes right about Wallace. Wallace was just as bad as D'arcy and O'Leary for me. His mistakes might not have been as visible but we essentially played the entire game with 14 men. Wallace made 5 tackles, wouldn't push in the scrum and made a pathetic amount of ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Talk of Sean Henry joining Northampton

O Leary fair enough but Leamy and Wallace were by no means any worse than most of the others on Saturday. I agree with Phat, alot of ****e being spouted about O Callaghan always on this forum. I think it comes from a section of supporters who would prefer to see the best possible players starting.

Tuohy, Cullen and MOD have all played better than DOC over the course of the season.

Take your head out of the sand, and strop trying to make the discussion what it is not.

No you're wrong. It is mostly Cullen fans. Micko is as much ridiculed on this forum as DOC until he puts in a good performance. You are the only one mentioning Tuohy as international class I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

No you're wrong. It is mostly Cullen fans. Micko is as much ridiculed on this forum as DOC until he puts in a good performance. You are the only one mentioning Tuohy as international class I think.

Not at all. Plenty of people have mentioned him. He was good in the summer down in NZ and has probably been the in form lock in Ireland since the turn of the year. People haven't been discussing him as much since injury ruled him out for the past 2 weeks.

DOC has gone through the worst period of his career. His performance at the weekend was a level above anything he has produced internationally or in the HEC in a year. It's completely legitimate to query his selection. He has even lost his spot for Munster and quite rightly to MOD who has been playing very well.

profitius wrote: »
    Talk of Sean Henry joining Northampton

Wouldn't be a bad move for him tbh with Sherry, Varley and Flannery if fit ahead of him and Fogerty too if he can sort his throwing out.

Haven't seen much of him myself but is obviously attracting attention, possibly from the 'A' match against Nottingham when Northampton people were said to be looking at Nagle. Showing that the B&I cup can give good exposure to players.

Sorry I'm wrong how?

Has DOC performed (prior to Saturday) better than any of those I mentioned over the course of the season thus far?

Ignorance of Tuohy does not mean that he isn't up to the level. He had a great game last summer in an Ireland Jersey if I remember correctly too, before his injury.

Where someone is from, or who they support provincially doesn't always have a bearing on who they want to see in an Irish Jersey. Believing that you can belittle someone else's opinion of a player simply because they support another province is just as bad as someone blindly pressing for "their" player to start each time.

To be fair, many Leinster supporters (which I'm sure you were trying to highlight) have asked that Cullen play instead of an out of sorts DOC, this is fair enough, they've probably seen him a lot more than any other 2nd row. Many other Leinster supporters couldn't care what colour Jersey Cullen/Tuohy/MOD/DOC wears during the year, because when it comes to 6N time, there's only one colour that they're all fighting to wear. And given the performances and reputation/abilities of the players this year, that order (again, prior to Saturday) had DOC at the bottom of the list.

"Rising above" the Leinster/Munster BS by saying that "they only want to select xx because he plays for yy" is actually dragging yourself down into it.

Now, with respect to DOC, there's no way I'm not picking him in the 2nd row this weekend. Played as though he thought that he'd be out of WC reckoning if he didn't lift his game tenfold. He overshadowed POC.

He lost his place as a punishment for being sinbinned stupidly in Toulon. O Callaghan raised the roof when he came on against London Irish and really drove Munster on. O Driscoll is a bench player when DOC and POC are fit.
    O Callaghan's form has slumped a bit but not to the extent that is reported here. He even got a MOTM award a few weeks ago I forget against whom.
    Re Tuohy I have seen the guy play a few times in the flesh but nothing to suggest he is better than what we have yet.
    Cullen obviously is but is a too similar to the superior O Connell in style and Ireland need a warhorse like O Callaghan in there.
    Cullen and POC on the same field to me would be crazy.
    Re the provincial stuff Emmet. This isn't one of those posts on my behalf anyway. If you look at my posts you would see that I agree with Sexton over O Gara, Ross over Buckley/Hayes etc. My argument that there is no one better than DOC for that no.4 shirt.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

He lost his place as a punishment for being sinbinned stupidly in Toulon. O Callaghan raised the roof when he came on against London Irish and really drove Munster on. O Driscoll is a bench player when DOC and POC are fit.
    O Callaghan's form has slumped a bit but not to the extent that is reported here. He even got a MOTM award a few weeks ago I forget against whom.
    Re Tuohy I have seen the guy play a few times in the flesh but nothing to suggest he is better than what we have yet.
    Cullen obviously is but is a too similar to the superior O Connell in style and Ireland need a warhorse like O Callaghan in there.

Jesus that is some load of tosh. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

That's the partnership that made absolute mincemeat out of France's and Italy's line out last year against the likes of Zanni who was peerless in the air last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

From Munsterrugby.ie

The week that Munster resume their Magners League campaign began in the most positive sense with the news that eleven of the current squad have agreed contract extensions.

They include the Munster crop of young talent such as Darragh Hurley, Mike Sherry, Ian Nagle, Dave Foley, Peter O'Mahony, Paddy Butler, Tommy O'Donnell, Conor Murray, Scott Deasy and Felix Jones while it was officially confirmed that Ian Keatley will join from Connacht at the end of the season on a two year contract. Doug Howlett has also agreed a further extension that will keep him in Munster red until the end of the 2011/2012 at least despite more lucrative offers from abroad.

Good to see dougie hanging around!

wixfjord wrote: »
    Jesus that is some load of tosh. :p

Some interesting refutations there, well done.

TheJims wrote: »
    From Munsterrugby.ie

Good to see dougie hanging around!

Good to see Conor Murray signed though you'd have to question will he really get meaningful gametime. We now have 4 scrum-halves on full contracts.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Some interesting refutations there, well done.

Not much point refuting when you're up against that my dear Buck!
    Bring back Dowling, Hurley and Hayes I say old chap!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

if you are not going to discuss it then don't post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Risteard wrote: »
    Good to see Conor Murray signed though you'd have to question will he really get meaningful gametime. We now have 4 scrum-halves on full contracts.

What is Duncan Williams' contract situation? He'd be the more likely to move given that he's older and there is no way past Strings and TOL.

I would have thought that Connacht would have chased Sean Henry, AFAIK he's from Sligo and with Cronin moving on there is definately room in the squad.

SomeFool wrote: »
    What is Duncan Williams' contract situation? He'd be the more likely to move given that he's older and there is no way past Strings and TOL.

I would have thought that Connacht would have chased Sean Henry, AFAIK he's from Sligo and with Cronin moving on there is definately room in the squad.

Wasn't he given a contract a few years ago or even last year? I'm fairly sure he was though I could be mistaken.

Great news on the contract extensions. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

With the young lads given new contracts, and the match against Treviso coming up, do you think a relatively young team will be fielded this sunday? Looking forward to seeing the starting 15...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement