Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

my initial thought of it when i saw the game was that it was just clumsy footwork and that he didnt know where he was standing on wallace.

from that clip though you can see he has his head down and is aware of where wallace is yet still stands on his head!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 532 ✭✭✭roycon

funnily enough sean obrien always says he likes leinster and liked playing for ucd. it seems strange that hagan said he didnt like ucd as youd think it would be the most open club seeing that its players are from all over the country. the captain of ucd's senior team last year was matt nagle - younger brother of ian nagle a corkman i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

roycon wrote: »
    funnily enough sean obrien always says he likes leinster and liked playing for ucd. it seems strange that hagan said he didnt like ucd as youd think it would be the most open club seeing that its players are from all over the country. the captain of ucd's senior team last year was matt nagle - younger brother of ian nagle a corkman i believe.

I think the guy left his course so maybe it was just that college life in general wasn't for him? Not really for us to speculate anyway, luckily he kept playing, good luck to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Given that Hagan was an Irish youth international and went to one of the most expensive schools in the country for 6 years, I struggle to make sense of his difficulty fitting in with the private school rugby types in UCD when plenty of others settle in no problem with far less in common. I think it's likely he's just a quiet bloke who struggled generally as a 18 or 19 year old with a nightmare commute to college every day as happens to hundreds of students every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Has Sean O Brien moved to Munster? Brilliant if he has.

• Advertisement

yeah news just in sean obrien has signed for munster

yeah news just in sean obrien has signed for munster

Munster thread therefore Munster news, I didn't think it would be that difficult to figure out :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Big call for McGahan coming up, Horan and Fogs played AIL today. Does he stick with Hurley and Sherry or bring back the established guys?

Fwiw I'd go with Hurley and Sherry. I've a lot of time for Horan and (as everyone says) "if Fogs could throw he'd be a good player etc" but it's time to back the younger players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Big call for McGahan coming up, Horan and Fogs played AIL today. Does he stick with Hurley and Sherry or bring back the established guys?

Fwiw I'd go with Hurley and Sherry. I've a lot of time for Horan and (as everyone says) "if Fogs could throw he'd be a good player etc" but it's time to back the younger players.

I agree. Sherry was supposed to have had a great game for Garryowen last night as well. Hurley as well looks like one of our best scrummagers. He's the perfect build for a prop as well IMO. He's very broad and not overly tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Heard that Fogs, Baz Murphy and possibly Dowling could be left go.

Murphy is injury prone so no surprise there.
    Fogs can't throw so..
    Dowling is a surprise if he is let go. No a great player but good to have around the squad I'd say.

• Advertisement

profitius wrote: »
    Heard that Fogs, Baz Murphy and possibly Dowling could be left go.

Fogs can't throw so..
    Dowling is a surprise if he is let go. No a great player but good to have around the squad I'd say.

Dowling would be a bit of a surprise to me. I know he's not exactly the best winger in the world but he's effective at what he does for Munster. I wouldn't have him in the starting 23 though.

If true it might be a nod to giving some of our younger backs a chance.

Have to feel sorry for Murphy though. He has looked sharp for us whenever he's been able to play but he's just so injury prone .

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

profitius wrote: »
    Such a shame. When fit this season he showed glimpses of his old self. Can't be kept on if he can't make himself available, sadly he seems permanently crocked.
    Fogs can't throw so..
    Doesn't surprise me. When he got a run of games last year in Fla's absence he didn't perform well. With Sherry coming through as an excellent backup to Varley and Flannery in rehab in the background there really is no room for Fogarty. He still has the potential to be a good player if he gets his throwing sorted. Possible replacement for Cronin?
    His hip injury sounded quite serious. There is no room for him really anymore at Munster. We already have a solid, unspectacular player in Denis Hurley. I hope he gets a decent contract somewhere because he can definitely do a job. The A side seems to have a few decent youngsters coming through.

If the above are true!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Not sure where to ask this, I've never been to Musgrave park but I'll ask here since its owned by Munster rugby.

According to wikipedia Dolphin RFC and Sunday Wells RFC each have their own pitch on the east side of the stadium. How often do these teams play AIL league matches in the stadium or do they at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

If the above are true!

I'd be fairly certain that Dowling wouldnt have let Sackey score that try in Toulon, he'd have bundled him into touch.

i didnt start the topic phatphiggins no need for the smart remarks i wont comment again.gluck

i didnt start the topic phatphiggins no need for the smart remarks i wont comment again.gluck

Good man yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,038 ✭✭✭✭phog

From Munsterrugby.ie
    Horan and Fogarty Back In The Mix

31 January 2011, 1:18 pm By The Editor

Marcus Horan and Denis Fogarty make successful returns to action over the weekend, Horan for Shannon and Fogarty for Cork Con in their 23-12 win over pacesetters Old Belvedere at Temple Hill.

Both players got about 50 minutes with Fogarty marking his return from a shoulder injury with a first half try. Both players will be in contention for selection when Munster resume their Magners League campaign in two weeks time and there is also the possibility that Alan Quinlan will also be in the mix for that game away to Benetton Treviso.
    Quinlan dislocated his elbow against Connacht at Christmas but reports steady progress with the hope of resuming contact training, albeit limited, next week.

Jerry Flannery expects to get back with his club (Shannon) in the next week or so while Felix Jones is scheduled to resume playing towards the end of the month.

Niall Ronan (knee) will be out for six weeks, Barry Murphy will have a further scan on his damaged ankle later in the week.

Dave Ryan (shoulder), Peter O'Mahony (neck) and John Hayes (groin) all remain out for a number of weeks while Ian Dowling is not expected back anytime soon.

Poor Ian Dowling, not looking good :mad:

phog wrote: »
    From Munsterrugby.ie

Poor Ian Dowling, not looking good :mad:

Its hard not to like Dowling. He's done really well with what's honestly a very limited skill set.

Dave Ryan gets a worrying amount of back and shoulder injuries. Is any where near durable enough to be a pro?

Even the thought of Fogarty makes me cringe.

If Fogarty is behind Fla, Varley and Sherry then fair enough

i.e. playing for Con. :D

Hopefully Borlase will get a run of games with Hayes out and we'll see if he's up to it, initial signs aren't good.

It's also a chance for the likes of O'Donnell to make a mark with Ronan injured and Leamy and Wallace away for the Six Nations.

Fantastic news on Jones. Hopefully he can give the backline a new dimension either from wing/fullback that has sorely lacking.

If Fogarty is behind Fla, Varley and Sherry then fair enough.

He should be behind Sean Henry as well.

You get that sinking feeling that he'll appear back in the magners 22's though. Sherry will rightly get the hump, bugger off to Connacht become Sean Cronin 2.0 , become a regular in the Irish squads and transfer to Ulster or Harlequins in 2013. Meanwhile we'll still be stuck with couldn't hit a donkeys arse with a banjo Fogarty. It's like watching a car crash in slow motion.

:(

• Advertisement

He should be behind Sean Henry as well.

You get that sinking feeling that he'll appear back in the magners 22's though. Sherry will rightly get the hump, bugger off to Connacht become Sean Cronin 2.0 , become a regular in the Irish squads and transfer to Ulster or Harlequins in 2013. Meanwhile we'll still be stuck with couldn't hit a donkeys arse with a banjo Fogarty. It's like watching a car crash in slow motion.

:(

Aye. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Talk that Dowling and Murphy are out of contract this year. Hard to see them being kept on with their recent injury troubles. Maybe a sad end for the 2 lads that lit up Thomond in 2006 season against Sale. In fairness Munster don't owe them anyhthing and have stood beside them (especially Murphy) through thick and thin.
    One thing ref Fogarty. If he ever sorted his throwing to even 80% he is a great player around the pitch but I would too be happy to see him move west and Sherry to stay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Munster under Declan Kidney won 80% of all Heineken Cup games played, this dropped to 68.18% under Tony McGahan. No wonder for the first time in 13 years Munster failed to qualify from the group stages...

Rugby Matters

In fairness to McGahan the HCup has become alot more competitive in the past 3 seasons. Leinster,Clermont, Biarritz, Ospreys (some of the teams that beat Munster) have far stronger panels and take the competition alot more seriously now too.
    Not excusing him as such but we are all aware of this Munster team aging and even Kidney would not have reversed all this and may be partly to blame , for me , he got out at the right time but left the academy in a shambles and continues to insist on the likes of Hayes playing for Ireland, or O Gara starting ahead of Warwick when off form, when clearly not up to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭sioda

Saw Dowling the other day god he doesnt look great limp very like someone who recently hada hip replaced. not good coz always liked him as a player even if he was not world class there was no doubting the effort been given.

Would be a shame if he lost out on his contract though

buck65 wrote: »
    In fairness to McGahan the HCup has become alot more competitive in the past 3 seasons. Leinster,Clermont, Biarritz, Ospreys (some of the teams that beat Munster) have far stronger panels and take the competition alot more seriously now too.
    Not excusing him as such but we are all aware of this Munster team aging and even Kidney would not have reversed all this and may be partly to blame , for me , he got out at the right time but left the academy in a shambles and continues to insist on the likes of Hayes playing for Ireland, or O Gara starting ahead of Warwick when off form, when clearly not up to it.

Just to add to that there are no 'soft' french teams any more either. The Bourgoins, Monatabuans,Brives and Agens have been replaced with Toulon, Metro, Clermont and a more frequently motivated Castres.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Munster under Declan Kidney won 80% of all Heineken Cup games played

That is a phenomenally impressive statistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭trackguy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

I wonder if that's related to sexton staying with Leinster?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

trackguy wrote: »

Sorry to see him go - another great servant for Munster. He will always be remembered for the day he beat the Aussies single handed. 'The best Australian on the pitch'. :D

• Advertisement

durkadurka wrote: »
    I wonder if that's related to sexton staying with Leinster?

It was rumoured he was going to Stade before the Sexton ones started I think. Plus Cheika said ages ago that they weren't after Sexton anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement