Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭padraig.od

jm08 wrote: »
    I think POC and Poitre get on reasonably well now. He lets Munster get away with murder at the breakdown. He even joked in the game against northampton when munster were looking for a penalty for something that he wasn't giving, that "your not in thomond park now".

His mind is well decided about the scrum though. Not sure if its just Northampton's scrum being completely dominant or that Munster just has a poor scrum. Botha has always had problems with Northampton's one. I'd imagine he will be well up for this game considering how he was more or less discarded by Ulster and would want to prove a point. He should also be very familiar with the Ulster scrummaging techniques.

Discarded by Ulster.....I don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

castie wrote: »
    Yes he rewards the scrum going forward which alot of the time is the incorrect call. NH being a prime example of a team with alot of power and trickery to make it look like your infringing.

Hes been at this long enough to watch videos and get to grips rather than favouring the one team for the whole game at scrum time.

This then filters down and pisses off the players who may not keep their mouths shut and then lose decisions elsewhere because of that.

He’s absolutely incorrect but he certainly doesn’t favour sides over Munster. Everyone knows exactly what’s coming with Northampton and with Poite. Munster have had Poite possibly more than any team in the past 2-3 years in Europe. If anything, they should have an advantage with him as referee. Ulster do not possess a scrum (tactic) like Northampton’s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

His mind is well decided about the scrum though. Not sure if its just Northampton's scrum being completely dominant or that Munster just has a poor scrum. Botha has always had problems with Northampton's one. I'd imagine he will be well up for this game considering how he was more or less discarded by Ulster and would want to prove a point. He should also be very familiar with the Ulster scrummaging techniques.

Is this your genuine opinion?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

GerM wrote: »
    He’s absolutely incorrect but he certainly doesn’t favour sides over Munster. Everyone knows exactly what’s coming with Northampton and with Poite. Munster have had Poite possibly more than any team in the past 2-3 years in Europe. If anything, they should have an advantage with him as referee. Ulster do not possess a scrum (tactic) like Northampton’s.

Didnt mean to suggest he favoured anyone over Munster.
    Im a prop and dispise the guy for his handling of the scrum.

I have had terrible refs frustrate me for 80 minutes some days.
    Nothing worse than beating your opposite number to have crap officating either negate what your doing by say letting the LH stand up or allowing them to get the push on early to put you on the back foot cause they know theyre in trouble if they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,721 ✭✭✭✭phog

budhabob wrote: »
    “The scan revealed significant damage to Stevie’s left ankle and it is unlikely that he’ll be available for Sunday,” said an Ulster spokesman.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0403/1224314296127.html

With Ferris out and POC back it puts us in a great position for the weekend.

Last night, Ferris tweeted "there's life in the old dog yet". To me he's still hopeful/optimistic of making the game.

• Advertisement

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-2038690/RUGBY-WORLD-CUP-2011-Ronan-OGara-quit.html

re: BOD paraphrasing Ronan's
    "I said I'd retire at 38 to shut people up talking about it"

Probably shouldn't have brought it up in the first place...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

ed7890 wrote: »
    He's only in the academy now sure. Lualala coming wont stop him getting a handful of Pro12 games next year to see how he gets on.

Maybe, but he was signed up as an exile, you'd think we'd have pushed him through more if we rated him. How often does he play for the A side?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,906 ✭✭✭jacothelad

I'd imagine he will be well up for this game considering how he was more or less discarded by Ulster and would want to prove a point. He should also be very familiar with the Ulster scrummaging techniques.

Most of your posts are filled with erratic, ill-informed, manic, Munsterlove gibberish. This is another example of the typical nonsense that you spew out. Botha left Ulster because Munster were able to offer him more than Ulster could manage. Even the slowest should be able to understand this. Here is a tip. Engage brain in gear before posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

jacothelad wrote: »
    Most of your posts are filled with erratic, ill-informed, manic, Munsterlove gibberish. This is another example of the typical nonsense that you spew out. Botha left Ulster because Munster were able to offer him more than Ulster could manage. Even the slowest should be able to understand this. Here is a tip. Engage brain in gear before posting.

Cut the personal comments please.

My understanding is that Botha was looking for more money than what he was on and got offered more by a French club (the provinces do not compete with each other over signings). Humphreys got annoyed and told him to go, and got Afoa who worked out to be cheaper.

Don't know why you get so upset by that comment. I've seen lots of comments from Ulster fans saying they were delighted that Botha was offloaded because he was beginning to be injury prone and Afoa turned out to be a great signing.

Cut the personal comments please.

My understanding is that Botha was looking for more money than what he was on and got offered more by a French club (the provinces do not compete with each other over signings). Humphreys got annoyed and told him to go, and got Afoa who worked out to be cheaper.

Don't know why you get so upset by that comment. I've seen lots of comments from Ulster fans saying they were delighted that Botha was offloaded because he was beginning to be injury prone and Afoa turned out to be a great signing.

I'd say the truth is somewhere in between, I don't think botha wanted to leave Ulster, at least initially. Iirc, he had some tweets or somesuch saying he wanted to stay?

• Advertisement

I'd say the truth is somewhere in between, I don't think botha wanted to leave Ulster, at least initially. Iirc, he had some tweets or somesuch saying he wanted to stay?

Botha gave an interview when he first arrived in Munster saying that he would have preferred to have stayed in Belfast because his family were well settled there, some ex-team mates from SA and he was friends with the local butcher etc. I admired him then for his honesty and it was refreshing to hear someone not coming out with usual stuff like every time robbie keane moves club.

Last week in an interview he said that the family have settled well now and he would like to have an option to stay on longer than his present contract.

Botha gave an interview when he first arrived in Munster saying that he would have preferred to have stayed in Belfast because his family were well settled there, some ex-team mates from SA and he was friends with the local butcher etc. I admired him then for his honesty and it was refreshing to hear someone not coming out with usual stuff like every time robbie keane moves club.

Last week in an interview he said that the family have settled well now and he would like to have an option to stay on longer than his present contract.

Yeah, think I remember that, he made it clear the move was a short term thing to maximise his earning. I don't remember him saying he was forced out of Ulster though.

Yeah, think I remember that, he made it clear the move was a short term thing to maximise his earning. I don't remember him saying he was forced out of Ulster though.

I didnt claim he was forced out. I posted that he was more or less discarded by Ulster.

If the same thing was said about Paul Warwick who was more or less forced to leave if he wanted better than a 1 year contract, no one would blink an eyelid at the comment.

I didnt claim he was forced out. I posted that he was more or less discarded by Ulster.

If the same thing was said about Paul Warwick who was more or less forced to leave if he wanted better than a 1 year contract, no one would blink an eyelid at the comment.

Speaking of Warwick, how has the season gone for him. Hope he's had a good one but I think Stade are struggling?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,632 ✭✭✭nerd69

jacothelad wrote: »

chill out dude the provinces don't compete with each other when it comes to wages.you really shouldn't be insulting someones intelligence because you disagree with there opinion and if you are at least get your facts right first.

with regards to the actual topic seems like a win win afoa and bj are both fantastic players and nice guys and offer an experienced head for some of the young irish front rows to learn from.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

I think POC and Poitre get on reasonably well now. He lets Munster get away with murder at the breakdown. He even joked in the game against northampton when munster were looking for a penalty for something that he wasn't giving, that "your not in thomond park now".

In the Scarlets away game, Rees was penalised for hands in the ruck under the Scarlets posts. Before ROG took the 3 points, he asked Poite "would that have been a yellow in Thomond". Poite replied "We aren't in Thomond now" Nice moment actually. Funny moment.

He's anything but a homer though, and at times it seems the more indignant the crowd get, the less he gives.

I don't mind him, bar the scrum (but Munster benefited from that in Parc y Scarlets). He's on a loser with Munster though, people almost seem to be waiting for him to make a mistake so they can get up in arms about him.
    Speaking of Warwick, how has the season gone for him. Hope he's had a good one but I think Stade are struggling?

I keep an eye on the French teamsheets and results and he starts a lot at fullback for them, but I haven't seen him play enough to comment. Stade are 7th and a point off the playoffs, so they are pushing for HEC again (they're also in the quarters of the Amlin). They were near the bottom of the table last year, so a bit of an improvement for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

nerd69 wrote: »
    chill out dude the provinces don't compete with each other when it comes to wages.you really shouldn't be insulting someones intelligence because you disagree with there opinion and if you are at least get your facts right first.

with regards to the actual topic seems like a win win afoa and bj are both fantastic players and nice guys and offer an experienced head for some of the young irish front rows to learn from.

I don't believe that is applicable to NIQ players such as Botha, Warwick etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

Maybe, but he was signed up as an exile, you'd think we'd have pushed him through more if we rated him. How often does he play for the A side?

He's featured in a few of the games, a couple at 13, a couple in other positions. Chambers played a good few of the A games at 13 though so this might have limited his chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

GerM wrote: »
    I don't believe that is applicable to NIQ players such as Botha, Warwick etc.

It is. It's the same, provinces have to have permission to enter negotiations.

Botha wanted his contract with Ulster to be structured differently (don't think it was financial) and they refused to budge. When his people informed them (and I'm sure everyone else in Irish rugby who would listen) that he was enquiring externally, Ulster (not Humphreys decision) informed them they would look elsewhere, then they struck World Cup winning gold. Until Ulster ended negotiations Munster would not be allowed to talk to Botha.

It makes sense and it's a good rule from the IRFU; why would you want 2 parts of your organisation competing just to drive your wage bill up?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

The thing that confuses me IrishBucsfan is that Munster announced they were signing Botha about a month before Ulster announced their signing of Afoa.

http://www.ulsterrugby.com/news/9144.php
    http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/8712.php

So was it a case of Ulster in a way let him go before they had a replacement lined up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The thing that confuses me IrishBucsfan is that Munster announced they were signing Botha about a month before Ulster announced their signing of Afoa.

So was it a case of Ulster in a way let him go before they had a replacement lined up?

Those were the announcements though. That is not to say the signings were complete well beforehand.

CatFromHue wrote: »

As far as I know, Ulster had to close the door on Botha to get permission to open the door for Afoa. The provinces are quite restricted in who they can talk to and what they can offer by the advisory board I think.

As far as I know, Ulster had to close the door on Botha to get permission to open the door for Afoa. The provinces are quite restricted in who they can talk to and what they can offer by the advisory board I think.

Not sure Afoa was Ulster first choice after Botha. There was mention also of Botha going back to SA to try and make the world cup squad (dont know if that was just a rumour). Seemed to be known for a while that he wasn't staying in Ulster anyway.

John Andress mentioned in an interview recently that he was going to come back to Ulster last season, but Ulster went cold on the deal when he got mixed up in some incident (to do with drink) and him being a bit of a wild boy in the past, ulster were not going to risk taking him back again. He said he was glad he didn't go anyway because he would have ended up behind Afoa. He then said that Munster made an offer for him, but he turned them down as he didn't want to be behind Botha.

its worth noting that Munster announced that Bowe & ruddock were going to and staying in ulster & leinster respectively, long before they had signed anything with either clubs. Seemed like to me the provinces not letting themselves be used as bargaining tools to jack up wages.

Flincher wrote: »
    In the Scarlets away game, Rees was penalised for hands in the ruck under the Scarlets posts. Before ROG took the 3 points, he asked Poite "would that have been a yellow in Thomond". Poite replied "We aren't in Thomond now" Nice moment actually. Funny moment.

Thats it. It was a funny moment. Poitre seems to be a bit more relaxed now, whereas for a while he look like he had something to prove. Quite like him now.
    He's anything but a homer though, and at times it seems the more indignant the crowd get, the less he gives.

I don't mind him, bar the scrum (but Munster benefited from that in Parc y Scarlets). He's on a loser with Munster though, people almost seem to be waiting for him to make a mistake so they can get up in arms about him.
    He definately isnt a homer. He seems to really enjoy standing up to the locals.
    I keep an eye on the French teamsheets and results and he starts a lot at fullback for them, but I haven't seen him play enough to comment. Stade are 7th and a point off the playoffs, so they are pushing for HEC again (they're also in the quarters of the Amlin). They were near the bottom of the table last year, so a bit of an improvement for them.
    I do too. Has played up to about a month ago (splitting his staring time between 10 and 15), but for the last month or so, he has been benching for fullback. Stade are doing ok now, though they lost at home to Toulouse at the weekend. It doesnt get any easier with Clermont next on the agenda.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Not sure Afoa was Ulster first choice after Botha. There was mention also of Botha going back to SA to try and make the world cup squad (dont know if that was just a rumour). Seemed to be known for a while that he wasn't staying in Ulster anyway.

John Andress mentioned in an interview recently that he was going to come back to Ulster last season, but Ulster went cold on the deal when he got mixed up in some incident (to do with drink) and him being a bit of a wild boy in the past, ulster were not going to risk taking him back again. He said he was glad he didn't go anyway because he would have ended up behind Afoa. He then said that Munster made an offer for him, but he turned them down as he didn't want to be behind Botha.
    Last year Ulster were looking at a top quality back three player (Corey Jane and a South African I forget were talked about) and Andress or a project prop. Corey Jane fell through and Afoa became available Humphries jumped and picked up Payne as a project.

He was very high up the list. You don't get a deal done with a kiwi international mid-season that quickly, so they had to get on it fairly sharpish.

its worth noting that Munster announced that Bowe & ruddock were going to and staying in ulster & leinster respectively, long before they had signed anything with either clubs. Seemed like to me the provinces not letting themselves be used as bargaining tools to jack up wages.

Not sure about that one. The provinces all know well who is talking to who. If Dawson wants to know if Munster had offered Ruddock a deal he just has to pick up the phone and call Fitzgerald.

I personally think they killed the stories because they don't need the press to paint the picture of them being turned down, which of course is exactly what the press would do regardless of how close to the truth it is. They went after Bowe in fairness, as they were well within their rights to.

Heard good things about the Dolphin player, Ryan Murphy, who's playing with the u19's tomorrow. He was picked to play for the AIL selection against Munster A recently. Tralee's Ultan Dillane is also starting, heard he's a decent athlete as well as a good second row. We've only two starters in the u19 team compared to 5 starting for the u18 side. Hopefully it's a sign our underage teams are getting better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Heard good things about the Dolphin player, Ryan Murphy, who's playing with the u19's tomorrow. He was picked to play for the AIL selection against Munster A recently. Tralee's Ultan Dillane is also starting, heard he's a decent athlete as well as a good second row. We've only two starters in the u19 team compared to 5 starting for the u18 side. Hopefully it's a sign our underage teams are getting better.
    Dillane's a very good athlete. competed at all ireland level in shot and i think another field event
    Weve always had alright enough numbers at 18s level and its at 19s and 20s where the numbers have dropped off

ormond lad wrote: »
    Dillane's a very good athlete. competed at all ireland level in shot and i think another field event
    Weve always had alright enough numbers at 18s level and its at 19s and 20s where the numbers have dropped off

Still though, you'd hope a few would come through. What's Greg O'Shea (?) like as a player? I know he's fast but is he actually skillful or is he a bit like Andrew Maxwell was? I saw him play against Connacht last season but Munster didn't get the ball to him much.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Still though, you'd hope a few would come through. What's Greg O'Shea (?) like as a player? I know he's fast but is he actually skillful or is he a bit like Andrew Maxwell was? I saw him play against Connacht last season but Munster didn't get the ball to him much.
    Good player, decent defence. great awareness of space.
    At least the schools have players playing in the right positions.
    Seamus Keating is playing winger for the youths and to be honest im not sure he's quick enough to play back 3. Good enough at outhalf but just doesnt have the out and out pace you need to play on the wing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement