Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorists encouraged to buy electric

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I think this is great, while I agree the technology isn't there yet it's good we're finally getting some forward planning in this country. Electric cars are the way of the future, even if they're powered by fossil fuels it's much more efficient than burning oil in a car and will give us some more energy independence. As well as this it's obvious that electric cars are going to develop over the next couple of decades and will be able to displace traditionally powered cars in terms of practicality and eventually cost.
    Personally I'd like to see the country covered in wind turbines and the seas full of wave generators, finally start catching up in renewables.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

Seems they forgot to mention you have to "rent" the battery!
    1200euro per year!

I give you your Battery rental tax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

flynnlives wrote: »
    Seems they forgot to mention you have to "rent" the battery!
    1200euro per year!

I give you your Battery rental tax!

Have you a link for this? Jeesh?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    I said these stations will cater for all chargable cars, that will be their business model & plan, they will hardly say "Sorry we only do Renault Bud" , these will be computer controlled charging points with all necessary adaptors & fitting required to make a buck!
    I can't see people putting every charger under the sun in a charger station. I can see Renault having a clause in their contract that they stations will only be for "their" cars...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭cianof

GLWT Renault...

Monthly battery rental won't catch one. Nissan and other car makers have copped on to this and are selling the batteries with the vehicle.

I think Renault will back down on this plan.

I would be happy to pay a deposit on a battery, refundable when the battery is returned/exchanged.

I wouldn't like to deal with a yearly/monthly battery rental scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Fast Charger Number 30 is probably the fast charger that the ESB were never originally going to install in Dublin ...at least not 2 months ago :D

esbfc.jpg

I'd like to know where you got that map. The N18 has technically zero charging points there. Surely having one installed at the airports would be ideal too? Gah theyre missing a few points really should be locating them on the commuter routes if they really want to see this kicking off.

For Limerick alone there is none on the N21/N18 and N24 near Limerick :confused: Locate one each at Newcastle West, Shannon and Ennis FFS. For Cork there is none at Mallow on the N20 seriously bad selection. For Galway there is none at Tuam, who the hell is picking these locations??

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Live Drive

The current generation of electric cars cannot make it to Galway and back to Dublin on a charge

The Opel Ampera is an interesting solution to that problem in the short term. A range of 60km on the battery and then the engine kicks in but rather than running the wheels it charges the battery so the fuel consumption is very low. It has a range of 500km on one tank. Out next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Live Drive wrote: »
    The Opel Ampera is an interesting solution to that problem in the short term. A range of 60km on the battery and then the engine kicks in but rather than running the wheels it charges the battery so the fuel consumption is very low. It has a range of 500km on one tank. Out next year.

Bit like a Prius that LiveD, a Hybrid rather than an EV.

I knew Ryan had something slimy up his sleeve as usual, he never mentioned the €23 a week ( plus Vat????) battery rental which is more than half the population spend on petrol every week. :(

smart green pixiebollix , as expected. Why is everybody asking about the map, do ye not believe that Dublin is getting no Fast Chargers or something ????

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Live Drive

Bit like a Prius that LiveD, a Hybrid rather than an EV.

It'd count for the €5k rebate though wouldn't it? it uses the same charging points too. It's a happy medium for those who need more range until the technology provides long range batteries.

• Advertisement

Live Drive wrote: »
    It'd count for the €5k rebate though wouldn't it? it uses the same charging points too. It's a happy medium for those who need more range until the technology provides long range batteries.

You will use the rebate up after 4 years ( 4 x €1200), I suppose the greens will want you to scrap the car then :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

SpongeBob, thanks for the link. The location of the charging points should be redone and put on commuter areas under 100km as they are nowhere near as reliable as the petrol/diesel car.

It's only Renault that are considering going with the battery rental model.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

And they're only considering it as a means to keep the purchase cost down.

It also has another benefit: If you owned the battery you would have to replace it every time it reaches end-of-life, potentially very costly. I reckon owners of BMW diesels would be happy if they could rent their turbo chargers.

I would say end of battery life will be c.3 years, on this generation of EV. About the cost of a 320d turbo every 3 years like JHMEG pointed out.

I would say end of battery life will be c.3 years

Where did you pull that figure from?

Sorry, but I'd think your talking rubbish there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Batteries are generally only good for 1000 or so charges before they start to degrade and fail to hold a full charge. After 3 years you'd be at that mark easy. As you'd have to charge these every night at least. This should improve as battery technology advances.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmmm... ok we all know that petrol/diesel is running out so if nothing else, for THAT reason we have to start looking at alternatives (I'll leave out all the tree-huggery arguments)

But this seems like a PR stunt to me... range of 160km?? I'd do that easily most days and having to find somewhere to plug the thing in all the time would rapidly become a right pain (not to mention remembering to plug it in at night).

Then there's the financial side.. are we seriously supposed to believe that THIS government (which has single-handedly manage to flush our economy and potential future down the toilet) is encouraging something that will get them LESS revenue to squander?? Isn't the current tax take per litre of petrol something like 60/70c?

Aside from the high cost of installing this charging point (assuming you can.. as someone else said, what if you live in an apartment, or rent?), are we REALLY meant to believe that they won't recoup the losses somehow?

Also, how reliable are these cars/batteries? Given that manufacturers still haven't perfected conventional cars and the electrics in them, what issues lie ahead with these? Where will you get them serviced? How much more will it cost? (presumably workshops will have to be re-equipped? Who's paying for that?) What'll the resale value be like on something like this?

I think like most new tech, the first generation will be fraught with problems and it'll potentially kill any market before it starts. Of course knowing our country, they'll probably just push the running costs of a conventional car through the roof to "incentivise" the already hard-pressed motorist.

Seems to me that this is yet another example of appearing to deal with a problem, without actually doing something that'll make a real difference - something we excel at in this country!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

No pistons, one gear, no turbo or pumps. Sounds like it should be more reliable than your average modern diesel.

This is the 1st generation...

4x4-lohner-porsche2.jpg

If you're driving 160km everyday, your probably better sticking to your petrol/diesel/hybrid car. Most motorist don't drive that much.

It doesn't matter too much what the gov do, mainstream EVs are going to happen elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,557 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

I would say end of battery life will be c.3 years, on this generation of EV. About the cost of a 320d turbo every 3 years like JHMEG pointed out.

First generation Prius batteries (1997) are still going strong: http://www.automoblog.net/2008/12/31/dont-worry-about-your-prius-batteries/

You'll have replaced much more parts of a car due to wear and tear before the batteries of current generation EV's is a problem, let alone future generations.

And if you go with something like the Volt/Ampera, the engine doesn't need any gearing system, making it much simpler again, and likely to last much longer than a standard car.

Going to a battery only EV, you have one moving part in the engine.

Electric motors are arguably more advanced than ICE engines as well, they've been around longer, and used in more places, and at lots of different scales. There's no need for a complicated seperate electrical system for the car's electrics either.

It's great, because eventually we'll move to in wheel motors (traction control for free), and in theory, the battery could be swapped for a fuel cell depending on use (long journeys for example). Torque is great, and top end power will keep on going up and up (electric formula 1 in ~10 years?). No large engine to accommodate, and batteries can be any shape, cars could become much more comfortable, and safer (no engine blocks crushing limbs/bodies).

And the best bit, abandonment of the inefficient clutch and gearing sytem, driving without waggling a stick at random times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,792 ✭✭✭SeanW

cianof wrote: »
    If you're driving 160km everyday, your probably better sticking to your petrol/diesel/hybrid car. Most motorist don't drive that much.

It doesn't matter too much what the gov do, mainstream EVs are going to happen elsewhere.
    Most people might only drive a few km/s every day, but take long drives occasionally. What then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

esbfc.jpg

That map shows none in dublin, have they not installed two in dublin already?

astrofool wrote: »
    First generation Prius batteries (1997) are still going strong: http://www.automoblog.net/2008/12/31/dont-worry-about-your-prius-batteries/

Prius batteries are not a good comparison, they are NiMh and are designed to coast a car slowly but not to accelerate it sharply , it was because LiON batteries were too expensive/heavy that Toyota went with the NiMh in their Hybrid.

EVs ...NOT Hybrids...have to do everything on battery and will use LiON formulations most likely. All sorts of promises have been made for nanotube/lithium combinations...and even for A4 paper as I said earlier...but these nanon whatsits are the nextgeneration coming in 5 years time. They should have fast charges and reduced weight. They have been around 4 years already though and nowt!!

The current generation cannot hack it on range and are consigned to be urban cars. Nor am I convinced as to their charge cycles...other than overnight charges.

For now, and unless proven otherwise in real world conditions an EV will do 100km on an overnight charge at home or 100km on a High Amp Fast Charge in very limited locations ( or a battery swap underneath) and that is it.

If you run out of juice in the wrong place make sure you have warm gloves.

Davy wrote: »
    That map shows none in dublin, have they not installed two in dublin already?

Not fast chargers. There will be 3 kinds and they installed the middlin fast ones , the culchies get the very fast ones ( 20-25 minutes only)

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2010/0315/1224266296611.html
    He said that there will three different types of charging point. The first will be at home where it is estimated that up to 90 per cent of the recharging will be done, using cheap overnight electricity.
    A special seven-pin all-weather socket will need to be installed outside homes. The cost of recharging will be circa €2.50 which is about six times cheaper than petrol or diesel.
    The second will be the kerbside juicepoint, which will cost more, but still less than petrol. The third will be a high-speed DC charger that will recharge batteries in 20-25 minutes.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

20 minutes is impressive imho

Davy wrote: »
    20 minutes is impressive imho

Sure is if you are stuck in Charlestown Dungarvan or Kinnegad which is where they are going :D The Dubs get the cheaper 2 hour ones in their max 2 hour parking bays.

It has to start somewhere though, they cant be everywhere overnight

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bk wrote: »
    The ironic thing is that if we had a high quality broadband network to every home in Ireland and incentivised companies to let their employees work from home (where possible), starting with the civil servants, we would vastly reduce pollution more then by this sham.
    What ever happened to taxing parking as BIK ?

ros.ie is saving the revenue something like €25m a year, and it's not the only government dept, much of the BB could be funded by government savings

Aren't we paying something like a tenner a tonne for CO2 too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

cianof wrote: »
    This is the 1st generation...

4x4-lohner-porsche2.jpg
    And a lot of the current electric cars like the Reva still use Lead Acid batteries. :(

Advertisement