Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newgate Street Shopping Centre?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

The Waterford City & County Council Planning website now has all the Planning Application information scanned, uploaded and available for viewing. The final report listed (size 4639) on the list of scanned files shows drawings and a narrative of what the scheme will look like. Looks interesting - with the preservation of Michael St as it is (almost) and with lots of public viewing space on what will be a large landscaped roof area.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Irishlad2014

The Waterford City & County Council Planning website now has all the Planning Application information scanned, uploaded and available for viewing. The final report listed (size 4639) on the list of scanned files shows drawings and a narrative of what the scheme will look like. Looks interesting - with the preservation of Michael St as it is (almost) and with lots of public viewing space on what will be a large landscaped roof area.

Have you got the link for this? the new council website is awful can find nothing on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭iseegirls

The existing shopping centres are already full apart from one empty unit in City Square if I'm not mistaken. What is there to promote?

Carraig Don seems to have left over the past week or so. Jane Norman unit is empty, Next is empty, the old card shop is empty too. I think the cake shop beside Debenhams is gone too. Not to forget where GameStop used to be upstairs.

But this maybe to do with the high rent that City Square may be asking for

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭SOPHIE THE DOG

I don't have enough posts to link to the website.
    The planning ref number is listed on an earlier post here.
    Using that its not overly difficult to navigate the Council Planning website and use their seach by planning application ref number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

iseegirls wrote: »
    Carraig Don seems to have left over the past week or so. Jane Norman unit is empty, Next is empty, the old card shop is empty too. I think the cake shop beside Debenhams is gone too. Not to forget where GameStop used to be upstairs.

Carraig donn had sign saying relocating....where to i don't know.
    Card shop I reckon closed as its gonna be knocked for extension.
    I'd be surprised if cake shop closed...it often just looks c closed then open next day you pass in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭Suryavarman

Oh. I forgot so many places were closed. I just thought it was jut the card shop. I was leaving the old Gamestop out of it because it doesn't seem like anything will go in there.

Please tell me the cake shop is still open. They did a very nice cream bun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Oh. I forgot so many places were closed. I just thought it was jut the card shop. I was leaving the old Gamestop out of it because it doesn't seem like anything will go in there.

I'd say you are right about rent, plus they did nothing with the place and seen to be in no rush to extend...they will when they see newgate starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I think it's safe to say Amandine is gone. Closed for two or three weeks now and their website and Facebook page are gone.

I don't know where Carraig Donn are moving to, but I do know Specsavers are relocating to where they were.

More on topic, the Newgate planning seems to be this one
    http://193.178.30.153/iDocsWebDPSS/listFiles.aspx?catalog=planning&id=16175

• Registered Users Posts: 6,719 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Speaking of City Square, do you need to rent the area where that guy is selling Sky packages for the last God only knows how many years? I never go to him as I have heard he is as ignorant as they come but I'm amazed hes still lasting as long as he is considering he really is selling only one product and depending on passing trade. I know his overheads are lower but it still odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Speaking of City Square, do you need to rent the area where that guy is selling Sky packages for the last God only knows how many years? I never go to him as I have heard he is as ignorant as they come but I'm amazed hes still lasting as long as he is considering he really is selling only one product and depending on passing trade. I know his overheads are lower but it still odd.

You d see those kiosks in other shopping centres round the country so I'd Imagine they're heavily subsidised by sky. Some boring job though. I'd also imagine you d have to have a permit to set up one of those kiosks, so that's where the 'rent' would be

• Advertisement

It is handy when there is a match on though. He sometimes has a crowd of about 20 people when there's an Ireland or premier league match on. But again, I doubt he makes any money off them - and it probably puts people off buying from them at a time when so many people are hogged around the stand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Any truth in the rumour that Kylemore are leaving, to be replaced by a food court set up?

longshanks wrote: »
    Any truth in the rumour that Kylemore are leaving, to be replaced by a food court set up?

That would be a good idea. Unknown though if there is enough space, unless they knock into a few of the empty units surrounding it and change the toilets.

Actually saying that, the toilets need to be downstairs. It's ridiculous having them upstairs, bad for people in wheelchairs too. And they need to go in search of a security man to open the disabled toilet too. Such a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭The_Shotz

Heard the same rumour about kylemore. I heard the plan is to extend the floor up stairs out further,similar to the food court in Mahon Point in Cork.

Also heard they got the green light to construct where the brasserie once was and that area along the front.

City Square badly needs a redevelopment, fairly dated looking with too many small units at present

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭BBM77

JohnC. wrote: »
    I don't know where Carraig Donn are moving to...

Geroge's Court I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You d see those kiosks in other shopping centres round the country so I'd Imagine they're heavily subsidised by sky. Some boring job though. I'd also imagine you d have to have a permit to set up one of those kiosks, so that's where the 'rent' would be

50 quid a referral.

No discounted packages allowed.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Wanderer78 wrote: »

There run and operated by Sky. The staff are Sky Employees. They get commission on sales of any description including Broadband - plus a base wage. There a sound bunch that work there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

I'm not from WF, but have had an interest in locating a store there at some stage.

On City Square, no units are currently available as the centre is being reconfigured and extended. (New owners took over last October) Many of the smaller units are being joined to make for a smaller number of larger units and an extension is planned.

Some very short term licences are available, but that doesn't suit most retailers.

Advertisement