Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What age is too old to have your shirt hanging out

Options
  • 09-04-2010 11:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭

There are several transition points in life. When you stop running through puddles, pulling the legs off bugs are signs of maturity that people reach by their teens.Finding farts funny -does anyone ever grow out of that.

I was driving and saw this guy with his shirt hanging out and it was just soo wrong. I dunno what it was but I immediately thought this is wrong -tuck your shirt in.

So is there an age where you no longer go about with your shirt hanging out.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

CDfm wrote: »
    There are several transition points in life. When you stop running through puddles, pulling the legs off bugs are signs of maturity that people reach by their teens.Finding farts funny -does anyone ever grow out of that.
    Never found farts funny even as a kid. Legs off bugs? No fun. Running through puddles? Great craic. Never gets old. Ditto with climbing trees. Thats better when you get bigger. You can go higher and reach branches you had difficulty when you were physically smaller.
    I was driving and saw this guy with his shirt hanging out and it was just soo wrong. I dunno what it was but I immediately thought this is wrong -tuck your shirt in.

So is there an age where you no longer go about with your shirt hanging out.
    Not yet for me :D Then again I haven't worn a tie in 20 years. Hideously restrictive bloody things.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭johno2

I haven't worn a shirt in years. I don't miss them either, t-shirts are much more practical. They're easier to layer in cold weather too. Should I be tucking in my t-shirts btw?

johno

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Shirts tucked in are just WRONG, a suit yes, work clothes yes, day wear or a night out? wrong, wrong, wrong. If I ever get to the age where I tuck my shirt in on a regular basis I'll know I shouldnt be in a club as I'll be an OAP.

Men who tuck in their shirts are usually the ones who wear hideously mismatched clothes combos and dance ridiculously bad in pub and clubs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

krudler wrote: »
    Shirts tucked in are just WRONG, a suit yes, work clothes yes, day wear or a night out? wrong, wrong, wrong. If I ever get to the age where I tuck my shirt in on a regular basis I'll know I shouldnt be in a club as I'll be an OAP.
    Yep defo one of the symptoms of the creeping beige alright. I know a few very elegantly well dressed men who wouldnt be seen dead with an untucked shirt, but thats different. I'm referring to the semi dee and sensible shoes brigade. Who think "slacks" are a viable fashion statement.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I dunno -the guy I saw was is jeans, leather jacket etc but was almost too pristine & ironed like his Ma had dressed him and it struck me this is so wrong & "tuck your shirt in". Too dress down Friday, smart casual rugby shirt shirt.

I like a good suit, shirts n ties but this was a try hard....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Wibbs wrote: »
    Who think "slacks" are a viable fashion statement.

What's wrong with slacks? Especially when you can get them for €2.50 in Arnotts' bargain basement shop. :D

Shirt hanging out? About 13 is too old.

Farts funny: not in company. (But otherwise AOK :pac:)

Pherekydes wrote: »
    What's wrong with slacks? Especially when you can get them for €2.50 in Arnotts' bargain basement shop. :D

Shirt hanging out? About 13 is too old.

Farts funny: not in company. (But otherwise AOK :pac:)

Thats exactly what wrong with slacks.

13? if I ever start tucking in my shirt I'll also start wearing Old Spice, wearing a brown belt with black shoes (possibly decks, shudder) oh and a beige jacket, because I'll be at the bottom of the unfashionable barrel so may as well go all out, actually scrap the shoes, sandals with socks under, oh yeah :pac:

shirts tucked in: WRONG

krudler wrote: »
    T

shirts tucked in: WRONG

Marco Polo and Tesco clothes are wrong.

If you have to think about whether you tuck your shirt in or out its wrong.

Marco Polo and Tesco clothes are wrong.

If you have to think about whether you tuck your shirt in or out its wrong.

I dont have to think about it, it stays out :pac:

I love getting dressed up in my suits, and those I will tuck in the shirt, unless I dont wear a tie and then I leave it untucked, it looks cooler and more casual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

People shoule be able to wear whatever they want in whatever way they want at whatever age they want. This obsession with clothes is just silly.

• Advertisement

arnotts slacks for 2.50 -you probably recycled the plastic they are made from. My scrotum itches just thinking of it -sorry -it just does.:pac:

Plastic pants - urrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh

People shoule be able to wear whatever they want in whatever way they want at whatever age they want. This obsession with clothes is just silly.

You own a beige cardigan dont you :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

I don't...but if I did...I'd own that fcuking thing.:cool:

I'm kinda looking forward to when I dont have to give a sh1t about what I dress like, can have a pipe, slippers, a cardigan, and spend my day peering out the window at the little feckers galivanting around the estate, get off my garden!

arnotts slacks for 2.50 -you probably recycled the plastic they are made from. My scrotum itches just thinking of it -sorry -it just does.:pac:

Plastic pants - urrrrrrggggggggghhhhhhhhh

It says 100% cotton on the label. Am I being conned? :pac:

P.S. They feel sorta cottony. Sorta. :)

I don't...but if I did...I'd own that fcuking thing.:cool:

what coloured cardie then :rolleyes:

It says 100% cotton on the label. Am I being conned? :pac:

P.S. They feel sorta cottony. Sorta. :)

And it was hi-tec when Star Trek series 1 was first out.

I dont want to alarm you but read this and does it resemble your slacks in anyway.

Characteristics of polyester
    • Polyester fabrics and fibers are extremely strong.
    • Polyester is very durable: resistant to most chemicals, stretching and shrinking, wrinkle resistant, mildew and abrasion resistant.
    • Polyester is hydrophobic in nature and quick drying. It can be used for insulation by manufacturing hollow fibers.
    • PolyesteThe most popular and one of the earliest uses of polyester was to make polyester suits – all the rage in the 70s. Polyester clothes were very popular. Due to its strength and tenacity polyester was also used to make ropes in industries. PET bottles are today one of the most popular uses of polyester. r retains its shape and hence is good for making outdoor clothing for harsh climates.
    • It is easily washed and dried.
    Uses of Polyester

Polyester care tips

Taking care of polyester clothing is really easy and very time efficient.
    • Polyester clothing can be machine washed and dried. Adding a fabric softener generally helps. Dry the fabric at low temperatures to get maximum usage from the clothing.
    • Though polyester does not require much ironing, if you must then iron warm.
    • Polyester can be dry-cleaned with no hassles.
    Having learned a little something about polyester and how popular it has become, one could never imagine the history of polyester to be quite so illustrious. The manufacturing process also deserves a more detailed description. The revival and success of polyester is without doubt something that is here to stay.

They dont mention that is is also tasteless

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

Like many things, I think it depends on several factors - the persons age, the whole look or style as opposed to just the shirt, how they pull it off etc.

For example if I'm going out I'll usually wear a good pair of shoes, jeans and nice dress/formal shirt such as:

http://www.arxmanstyle.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/cotton-lacoste-shirt-by-junya-watanabe-doc.jpg

I will always tuckk that in. For me, I just think it looks shabby when it's not tucked in.

In contrast, today I'm wearing runners - think this but blue instead of grey http://usc.scene7.com/is/image/usc/9201-1-2904-818_1

Jeans and a check shirt something like this:

http://www.republic.co.uk/content/ebiz/republic/invt/55860/55860_lg2.jpg

In the case above I'll generally leave it hanging out as it's a very casual look for me which I wouldn't wear often. Personally I think I look good in it :D

It really is personal taste when it comes to these things. I'm only 24, in ten years time, I could well look ridiculous in the above clothes.

I guess that doesn't really answer the question. I began tucking my shirts in regularly once I got a proper job after graduating, which was about one year ago. Mainly because I had to dress formal-ish for work and I could afford to buy nicer shirts :) which just looked better tucked in.

I dont want to alarm you but read this and does it resemble your slacks in anyway.

No. I'm pretty sure 100% cotton precludes the use of polyester.

There's no nylon or lycra, either. (Not that there's anything wrong with both of those, in the right place, on the right person, at the right time :D)

No. I'm pretty sure 100% cotton precludes the use of polyester.

The 100% cotton probably refers to the label.

Otherwise the only way to test them is destruction by fire -which I am sure most would agree would probably be a kindness. :P

Post pics - are they high waisted and is that the attraction??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭Sugar Free

[/QUOTE]No. I'm pretty sure 100% cotton precludes the use of polyester.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it will usually say "Cotton rich" if there's other fabrics used. I've found that cotton rich usually means only 60% cotton though.

Yeah, it will usually say "Cotton rich" if there's other fabrics used. I've found that cotton rich usually means only 60% cotton though.

Sort of like this and which needs tucked in shirts to complete the look

6a00d83451ccbc69e2011278dc33fd28a4-400wi

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭matrim

It depends on the type of shirt too. Certain shirts just call for being tucked in (suitish style shirts) but you can get causal (normally short sleeve) shirts that just look wrong tucked in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

Basically it depends on girth fat lads are allowed to keep the shirt out thin lads need to tuck it in and have the the waist band of the jeans advance up as they get older

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭vicecreamsundae

out out out!
    unless its a work suit.
    but even casual suit should be out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,333 ✭✭✭✭itsallaboutheL

I'm probably odd,

in that i only ever wear shirts with suits, or something that would pass for a suit pants..

So always tucked in.

This jeans and a shirt business makes you look 35 wether you happen to be or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

/Suffering mild apoplexy after reading some of the posts in this thread. :eek:

:)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

For me it depends on the jeans and shirt -no hard and fast rule but with ralph lauren jeans you would tuck a shirt in because they are smart casual and just look wrong. If you think it looks unstudied then ..........

But some peple look bad with untucked shirts and small guys just look like schoolboys when they do it and skinny guys look wrong too.I have a friend who is skinny and he could never do it and it would just be wrong.

Some shirts with proper tails if untucked look like underwear with the tails flapping and look lke the guy just cant dress himself.

But agewise -it does not make a huge difference. With a suit no matter what age it looks undressed or like the guy slept in his clothes. Oh shirt outn-Green Day fan are we :D

Now what I think looks really dumb is the low cut jeans and boxers showing. There is a padre at a local church that does that at the local youthclub and its too stupid for words.

But age wise - has anyone like discontinued the practice.

OldGoat wrote: »
    /Suffering mild apoplexy after reading some of the posts in this thread. :eek:

:)

did I read somewhere that you consider tesco jeans a good buy :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

did I read somewhere that you consider tesco jeans a good buy :eek:
    Value for money for work wear. Yep. :)
    €150 on a pair of denims? Get a fuppin'grip! Jeans as smart casual? uhuhh, not gonna happen.
    Would you wear a boilersuit to a club?
    :rolleyes:

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement