Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Names of the Gen V games announced - Gen V speculation here!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭syncosised

That does sound quite final, but I'm sure they'll continue on anyway! Interesting as the colours are usually related, whereas these are opposites. I don't think it'll really make a difference though. It would be cool if they made the games very different though!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

I think they'll do the decent thing - scrap the entire 500-ish list of existing pokemon and have 15-20 base types - all of type Normal - that, depending on the moves they learn and the moves they use in battle, will have a number of different possible next evolutions, going through maybe 5 evolutions 'til you end with your final type. I also think there will be a series of spin off games - a street-fighter / Smash bros style brawler, a 5-a-side football game, a cutsey karter, a tennis game etc. - that you can import and export your pokemon from, so the core game allows you to breed and train your characters for the other games, but without the crippling PBR limitation of one-way transfers so the exported pokemon can be re-imported later with skills and abilities they wouldn't otherwise have...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Wow, they really must have had quite a huge debate over what to name them and not just scrape the proverbial bottom of the barrel...

/sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,811 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

GtduW.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭fleeflyfloflum

It does sound final... I do hope not! :eek:

That little fox looks adorable too! And late 2010 is quite early for another installment isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well Diamond/Pearl/platinum were the last "new" games, seeing as SoulSilver and HeartGold are remakes with a few added extras, so thats over 4 years between DPP and BW. plus this is the japan release, its gonna be at least a year before we get it.

As for how they could evolve the game (I'm hilarious :D ), i wish they cut out the amount of HM's, yeah they need to be there to give a structure to the game and have areas sealed off until a certain point but do then you need to have 2 dud pokemon in your team to lug them all around. Would be better if say Surf, Waterfall and Whirlpool all fell under one move, but you needed a certain number of badges to use the extra moves over just basic Surf.

meh, more news 15th April, lets wait to see what we will be getting.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Watch in amazement as "Black" outsells "White" by 10-1 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

I just when I was having a major crap start to the day with my NTL box not recording Bones for me to watch in the morning, waiting for a letter in the post that didn't arrive, having to jump out of the shower and dress hurridly to answer the doorbell, and have to go to work in a turbo-lame-tastic job for the weekend, Pokémon once again lifts it's ever smiling face and all is well in the world.

My knowledge of written Japanese is craptastic, but I am so importing these.

I can only guess from the title "Black and White Versions" that they are planning to recapture the audience of the original games, like what they are doing with this style of add: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCDj2PunKWU

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Watch in amazement as "Black" outsells "White" by 10-1 :pac:

racist :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Edited the title to note the speculation :)

I'm very excited about this one. Interesting to see what they'll do to improve/enhance Black & White over HG/SS. I assume pokéwalker compatability is a yes also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

It doesn't sound final to me. It does sound like a back to basics start, hopefully. I would love if they cut down on the amount of pokemon, didn't introduce too many new ones (less than 20-25).

If they brought it to a whole new part of the world, not just a different region of Japanamon then they could realistically cut down the amont of catchable pokemon and not allow for trade from other gens...

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

This is my guess as to what the games will be like

I think it is same to assume that you will play as a young boy or girl called White (or Black) who wishes to become a Pokemon Master. You will live in a small town next to Professor (tree) who will give you a Pokedex and your first Pokemon which will be either grass, fire or water type.

Professor (tree) will also give a Pokemon to another young trainer called Black (or White). Black (or White) will not be as kind to Pokemon as you are and will become your rival. You will battle Black (or White) on numerous occasions, the last being very close to when you become a Pokemon Master. Black (or White) will admit that you are the better trainer and he/she should be kinder to Pokemon. Black (or White) will have a starter Pokemon that is strong to your type of Pokemon

You will travel the world of (TBC) going to all the towns to fight the eight gym leaders, each who will specialize in one type of Pokemon. Defeating each Gym Leader will give you the right to use a new Hidden Machine to further explore the world. You will be able to use exciting moves such as Fly, Surf, Strenght and even Cut.

Exploring the world of (TBC) you will battle Geodude and Zubat in caves, Tentacools in the water and explore tall grass and discover beasts like Pidgey/Hoothoot/Taillow/Starly. Fish the water for that elusive Magikarp. Battle other trainers you come across and try and beat the 2 unevolved Bug Pokemon they have.

Along the way you will encounter the nefarious Team (TBC) who plan to use the Legendary Pokemon (TBA) to rule the world of (TBC). Without any help ,except from your faithful Pokemon, you will single handedly defeat Team (TBC) and capture the Legendary Pokemon (TBA) for yourself.

Visit the GTS where people all over the world will be queuing up to give you Level 100 Mew, Celebi, Deoxys and Shaymin in exchange for your awesome Venonat, Qwilfish and Finneon. Battle other trainers from all over the world but don't forget the Friend Codes!

Finally you will reach the Elite Four and undertake the battle of your life. But there is one surprise left, as you will then battle the Grand Champion. Who will it be? Black (or White)? Your single parent mom? Professor (tree)? Zorua? Find out in Pokemon Black and Pokemon White

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Buzzthebatgirl

OMG CUT? EPIC WIN! :p

Really though, who gives a toss about the story in the Pokémon games? It's something to keep you interested for the first week or two, then it's the collect every single blighter to have a full 'dex and do mini-quests. Just like every other RPG in the world.

The only difference with Pokémon over other RPGs I have played (Final Fantasy 3+6-9, Breath of Fire, Golden Sun 1+2 are some of the great ones I have played) is that when the story is done and the final boss is beaten, you are done, not much else to do other than level up your same characters and maybe do some mini-quests, but in Pokémon, you can make the best of the best characters ('mon) via breeding, hunting etc.

Find some special moveset no one else has though of. Part take in tournaments with friends and even officially run ones (VGC anyone?). Hunt down an elusive shiny Pokémon. Find a great trade on the GTS and brag about how you got a lv50 Lugia for any Kecleon. Hunt down your own Kangaskan in the Safari Zone and nickname it PINGAS, or whatever.

You'll find with Pokémon even though the story ended at 20 hours, you're still playing it three months later. I'm not bashing other RPGs as I love them as a genre, but most of them suffer from "story over go home peeps" syndrome.

I'm sorry if that sounded too much like a rant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

online pok-e-tournements baby. Players can enter and battle their way to the top. For the last 64 players, each match is sceduled for a time to be played. Nintendo tournement website with split screen showing players via webcam, and battles as it progresses. All the while the announcer from the cartoon competitions comments on the battle. This happens for Indigo Plateu, Orange Islands etc.

Oh and the third game will be grey, HAS to be. Seems a bit of a step back from ruby/saffire/emerald/gold/silver/diamond/pearl/platnuim, all expensive jewels/metals.

Maybe a step back in time as well with pokemon that became extinct

All sarcasm aside, I'd love to see them do something like setting it in the past or in the future. I'd also like to play as someone different. Wouldn't it be cool to play as a Team Rocket Grunt who has to capture Pokemon to keep his job. Or a king who captures Pokemon to amass an army to defend his castle. Anything to break the mould

I also don't want too many new Pokemon, there are enough as it is. And definitely not too many new Legendary Pokemon.

And finally please remove HM's. Pokemon has improved so much over the years but you still have to trawl back to the Pokencenter and swap HM slaves into the party all the time. Even if you could carry redundant HM Pokemon with you all the time in addition to your six battle Pokemon would be an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I'd like them to change the Fire-Water-Grass starters to some sort of new triad. Wouldn't the Orange Islands be a cool background? I'd also like a complete re-haul of the GTS and for the WiFi Connection to be constantly on.

Imagine something with the graphics of Animal Crossing and two people exploring/battling together!

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭spookymuffin

I have to say that I hope that they don't change too much. I know that the main series Pokemon games are beginning to seem a little stagnant but I would much prefer them to stick with what is good than go totally mad and wreck it.
    If they change it to the same degree as the transition between Gen I and Gen II then I would be happy. You know, introducing a lot of cool new stuff while keeping the same basic Pokemon experience.

I will be pissed if they take any steps backward, like getting rid of the animated sprites at the start of battle or removing the walking pokemon feature.

I still want them to introduce the usual 100+ new pokemon but I would like for them to be more "organic" than a lot of the newer Pokemon. I liked when most Pokemon looked like animals and plants rather than robots.
    I would also like if they focused on existing Pokemon and evolutionary lines, adding pre-evolutions and evolutions where needed. Miltank and Tauros need a calf pre-evolution to link them, Baby-Kangaskhan needs to be made into a seperate Pokemon as well (being born with a baby already in your pouch is too freaky!). Giving mono-gender species their opposite gender counterparts would be awesome as well.
    I just feel that they would be better off expanding on the Pokemon they already have before adding way more.
    freyaplus wrote: »
    But there is one surprise left, as you will then battle the Grand Champion. Who will it be? Black (or White)? Your single parent mom?

Maybe I'm alone in this but I think it would be the most awesome thing ever if the PC's Mom turned out to be the suprise champion. Seriously, it would be Legendary!

The first pictures of the game are here

It's looks nice. Not exactly revolutionary but moving away from the topdown angle gives the area more depth as seen in the pokecentre and town pictures.

freyaplus wrote: »
    The first pictures of the game are here

It's looks nice. Not exactly revolutionary but moving away from the topdown angle gives the area more depth as seen in the pokecentre and town pictures.

Hmm...At first I didn't like it but then I saw the city picture and figured it was awesome, it really made the city seem huge.

No Pokemon following our hero though. That's very sad. I thought it would be a standard thing following from HS/SS from now on. It makes it seem kind of gimmicky now.

A pokemon centre and a mart together? Lazy...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Teferi wrote: »
    A pokemon centre and a mart together? Lazy...

Convenient though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

I still want them to introduce the usual 100+ new pokemon but I would like for them to be more "organic" than a lot of the newer Pokemon. I liked when most Pokemon looked like animals and plants rather than robots.
    I would also like if they focused on existing Pokemon and evolutionary lines, adding pre-evolutions and evolutions where needed. Miltank and Tauros need a calf pre-evolution to link them, Baby-Kangaskhan needs to be made into a seperate Pokemon as well (being born with a baby already in your pouch is too freaky!). Giving mono-gender species their opposite gender counterparts would be awesome as well.
    I just feel that they would be better off expanding on the Pokemon they already have before adding way more.

Couldnt agree more, the animals they are using for Pokemon in the recent games have been getting more and more ridiculous and just like random hsapes thrown together. Was just thinking about animals such as:
    -bulls, we have Milktank, Tauros is more a buffalo though
    -rams, Mareep and Flaffy are nice, have been on a sheep farm for years and yet to see anything apporaching an Ampharos
    -goats
    -are ther any boar Pokemon??, I know Mankey is a Pig-Monkey (dont want to see how that child was concieved :eek:)
    -any hedgehogs...think there is one or two somewhere in the pokedex
    -another pair like the Nidorans, and maybe breeding the two final evolutions gives a legendary version of the species

Pics look nice, but just seems like they used the same technique for faux 3D they used for buildings in the recent games. Wonder what it looks like in motion.

Those pictures look really promising, but I'm not happy about the lack of pokemon following the PC. I can only hope they are planning to add it in later and/or made it optional.

As for having the Pokemon centre and Pokemart in the same building I think that it makes more sense than the previous arrangement. Doesn't really come across as lazy to me.
    Gunmonkey wrote: »
    -are ther any boar Pokemon??, I know Mankey is a Pig-Monkey (dont want to see how that child was concieved :eek:)

We have Grumpig and Spoink but they're the only pigs that I can think of off the top of my head.
    -any hedgehogs...think there is one or two somewhere in the pokedex

I'm pretty sure that Shaymin is the only hedgehog so far. More hedgehogs would be awesome.

Sandslash looks sort of hedgehog-y(?) too.

Yeah, I guess so. I've always been reminded more of a Pangolin when I look at Sandslash despite the spikes :pac:

A Moose.
    Standtler is cool but he could do with a Moose evolution.
    Also Piloswine is a Boar.
    The Praying Mantis. Scyther doesnt cut it here. XD
    Also a Duck billed Platypus.

Theres a reason for the lack of Hedgehogs.
    Theres a certain famous blue-hedgehog that Nintendo have a hold on already.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

Any dolphin Pokémon? Can't think of any immediately.

As for the pics, I like how it looks in the city but most of it seems like perspective change for the sake of making it look different on the same system. I really think they should just leave gen 5 for the 3DS personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭wayhey

I can't believe the idiots would think of getting rid of the Pokémon following you around...

wayhey wrote: »
    I can't believe the idiots would think of getting rid of the Pokémon following you around...

They're very early screenshots so it's still possible that they can add it in.

Although it wouldn't bother me one way or another. We've only ever had pokémon following once before in Yellow so it's not a big thing imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭Closed ac

Davidius wrote: »
    Any dolphin Pokémon? Can't think of any immediately.

As for the pics, I like how it looks in the city but most of it seems like perspective change for the sake of making it look different on the same system. I really think they should just leave gen 5 for the 3DS personally.

Lanturn looks dolphin-ish. :p

Advertisement