Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The serious thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I actually have no idea. Haven't heard from anyone else lately. In fact Dav has done more moddy stuff about TCN lately.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Tbh, you could do with a silleh-enforcer fellow mod. (no offense)
    Tar is great and all but rarely ventures out the FlirTar.

This is the Serious Thread. Non-serious posts will be deleted. I am sad that anyone needs to be reminded :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Sarky wrote: »
    This is the Serious Thread. Non-serious posts will be deleted. I am sad that anyone needs to be reminded :(
    good point, but I'm fairly sure you deleted at least one serious post there!

Can't you ask Mick D to be a mod here too, he posts here regularly enough now at this stage if you're too busy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

What's the need for a serious thread?

The only similar one I can think of from the top of my head is in politics; and I'm not sure TCN has that kind of traffic.

It's a bit Buzz Killington isn't it. I don't think it creates a great vibe in here.

• Advertisement

It's a nod to the days of amp, sort of. Traffic was a little higher before the mouth-breathers moved in, and it made sense for one small corner of the forum to not be bathed in insanity. This particular thread is a relic from the days when Tar and I moved in, and the resident clique were whining a moderator actually enforcing silly instead of an endless stream of dreadfully boring retarded chat and counting threads.

They screamed Y U NO LISSEN WE ARE BEEN OPPRESSED YUO WORS THEN HITLOR

I set up a thread to hear them out and explain things. They mostly ignored or abused it, naturally. One doesn't pay attention to reality when one is throwing a stop.

It stays, in case such idiocy should happen again, and in case you lot have any serious questions or suggestions, and are for some reason afraid of PMing me like most other forums would expect you to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭Storminateacup

The retro serious thread was invented because amp banned oldyellar and i went whining around every other thread "but it's not faiiiiiiiiiir" and so the serious thread was born. And oldyellar came Back when I promised to type with capital letters at begining of sentences, full spellings and a bit of puntuation. It was the deal.

Some might say the serious thread learned me the Internet and valuable life skills (typing).

I miss the old tcn sarky. Any way of bringing it back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

I'm trying, and so is he. Bring it back storm. I wasn't in the old TCN but I'm trying to bring in some silly.

If I could bring it back on my own, I would. But it needs people like you guys avoiding reality, making nonsensical conversations, doing silly things. You're doing pretty well in that regard, so thank you. Convince others to do the same, and you will have your promised land.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

The retro serious thread was invented because amp banned oldyellar and i went whining around every other thread "but it's not faiiiiiiiiiir" and so the serious thread was born. And oldyellar came Back when I promised to type with capital letters at begining of sentences, full spellings and a bit of puntuation. It was the deal.

Some might say the serious thread learned me the Internet and valuable life skills (typing).

I miss the old tcn sarky. Any way of bringing it back?

OMG how about YOU grow up????? You arent silly OR funny?
    Stop blaming her cos ITS not silly

You gave your life story.....

• Advertisement

Chucken - Im warning you to back the fugg right off, you drunk useless dolemonger, get a job. Kthnx.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,279 ✭✭✭Lady Chuckles

I'm silly. I would like to post around here :)
    I have been reading this forum to and from with the hope of participating in silliness. However, I find it's very hard for new people (or at least for myself) to post as you are a very close-knit bunch of people. For instance, there's a lot of chatting that is hard to get into unless you're already "in with the crowd", aslo there are many threads dedicated to specific TCN posters (regulars) where you'd chat about them or with them or something... It's great, but also quite hard for newbies to get in on.

I feel this could turn into a long rant, but I have one last thing on my mind that I'd like to approach :o
    In the "chat all you like"-thread, it seems there's a lot of sarcasm going on and from the look of it, it might have gotten to some. Unemployment can be a touchy subject and sarcasm isn't always nice...

It's just a thought. I don't mean to offend anyone. I just really thought now could be a good time to speak up :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I have been reading this forum to and from with the hope of participating in silliness. However, I find it's very hard for new people (or at least for myself) to post as you are a very close-knit bunch of people. For instance, there's a lot of chatting that is hard to get into unless you're already "in with the crowd", aslo there are many threads dedicated to specific TCN posters (regulars) where you'd chat about them or with them or something... It's great, but also quite hard for newbies to get in on.

I feel this could turn into a long rant, but I have one last thing on my mind that I'd like to approach :o
    In the "chat all you like"-thread, it seems there's a lot of sarcasm going on and from the look of it, it might have gotten to some. Unemployment can be a touchy subject and sarcasm isn't always nice...

It's just a thought. I don't mean to offend anyone. I just really thought now could be a good time to speak up :o

I'm new enough too, I just try to post silly in any thread I think I can, everybody is really nice around here.

Chucken - Adios :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

The nest is for silly. Everyone is new at some point. I don't see how you have a problem with this.

It was not sarcasm, it's not fair for you to judge when you are not familiar with the thread or the nest imo.
    This is just your opinion unless you know something we don't.

You failed here I think.

I failed giving my view? Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

No your view is your opinion to which you are entitled but you failed in trying not to offend people.
    I much prefer people to say what they think rather than sly digs, it's better to b upfront imo.

What goddamn dig???

Christ - Lady Chuckles. Are you coming to play or not? If you're going to post silly and be silly and make the rest of us be silly come onnnn and do it.

Right now -- not so much and y'all just know sarky will blow a fuse when he reads this. So, let's go, yeah?

Maybe an introduce yourself to the asylum would be a good idea for the newbies?!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

That is actually a good idea Teddy

• Advertisement

Sounds like a splendid idea to me too :)

I'll consider it. Don't expect anything from me this weekend, I'm busy. And so help me God, if I come back on Monday and see any more stupid drama, I will be VERY unhappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

As a former "moaner" and one time regular poster of Tcn (blessings be upon it) ...if you take silly seriously fine....if you take the forum seriously, then the forum probably isn't for you...but then again...it's probably not for most people in large doses....do what it says on the tin ..."single flyovers preferred"....less is more here...

Just wanna put my two cents in.

1. Anyone who thinks that we are cliquey here in tcn couldn't be more wrong. Maybe it seems that way but i feel we are very welcoming to new people. Take oranage for example. He wasn't a regular that long ago. Well as far as i know he wasn't. Correct me if i'm wrong. Anyway he just dove into the forum and started posting random silly. Now he's part of the furniture. Same with hondasam, teddy and many more. Just dive in and piss all over the kitchen table. Go mad. It doesn't really matter what you write, people will respond.

2. In regard to the user specific threads - that's mostly my fault. I sometimes start a thread about someone because its funny to me but also to get them to start posting in the forum again....... But mostly because its funny to me.

3. Teddy's idea is good but sarky wouldn't allow it.

4. Can people please stop being mean to new people. It is scaring them away.

4.5. RIP chucken1. A damn fine poster. Sad to see him go.

5. ???

6. Profit.

ok that was 6 and a half cents. Almost enough for a wham bar.

Fago! wrote: »

1. Anyone who thinks that we are cliquey here in tcn couldn't be more wrong. Maybe it seems that way but i feel we are very welcoming to new people. Take oranage for example. He wasn't a regular that long ago. Well as far as i know he wasn't. Correct me if i'm wrong. Anyway he just dove into the forum and started posting random silly. Now he's part of the furniture. Same with hondasam, teddy and many more. Just dive in and piss all over the kitchen table. Go mad. It doesn't really matter what you write, people will respond.

2. In regard to the user specific threads - that's mostly my fault. I sometimes start a thread about someone because its funny to me but also to get them to start posting in the forum again....... But mostly because its funny to me.

3. Teddy's idea is good but sarky wouldn't allow it.

4. Can people please stop being mean to new people. It is scaring them away.

4.5. RIP chucken1. A damn fine poster. Sad to see him go.

5. ???

6. Profit.

ok that was 6 and a half cents. Almost enough for a wham bar.
    Lol! I'd spank that if there was a spank button here, its a funny.
    We need a spank button too damn it:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

Fago! wrote: »

1. Anyone who thinks that we are cliquey here in tcn couldn't be more wrong. Maybe it seems that way but i feel we are very welcoming to new people.

Personally I think Tcn is cliquey ...and has been for quite some time...* just sayin*

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Gotta say I agree with Cicero. That's really one of the reasons I not in here much anymore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44,501 ✭✭✭✭Deki

yeah, I think it is but i do come back from time to time. In all fairness though it always was cliquey a little - just was my clique I guess :p:)

Hmm. Well I didn't think so until you guys just said it. Maybe that's just me. But then again, most other forums (including private forums) are cliquey. They say they aren't but they are. Maybe that's what's happened here I guess. There's isn't really much you can do about that. 'cept maybe get rid of the chat thread (which I'm not the biggest fan of tbh) but when Sarky got rid of the chat thread last time the Nest saw a huge drop in numbers.

There was one forum I started to post in and after a week or so I stopped because it was too cliquey. Not a private forum or any forum you lot post in btw.

How would you suggest we get rid of cliques?

• Advertisement

You never gonna be rid of cliques

Advertisement