Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

Don't worry about it. If you done a good interview that should boost your score! It's over and done with now so hang tight!

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭B2deF

They literally let everyone with half a brain in anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

B2deF wrote: »

.... which pretty much rules you out for starters :D

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭B2deF

Delancey wrote: »
    .... which pretty much rules you out for starters :D

True :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

B2deF wrote: »

User infracted for this post. No further comments on this is necessary in here.

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

nathancool wrote: »
    Well did my report writing and interview. I think the interview went well, But the report writing I was so dissopointed with as I only finished half of it.

Tbh I feel sick because of it. Is there set amount of marks I need to get or if I did well in the interview and bad in the report writing that they may excuse it ??

Well, I take it you got your feedback how did you get on? Did you pass? I went through a couple of techniques with my mate, he failed first time but passed it the second time!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭LaurzH27

Got my interview in just over a week. Kinda nervous about the whole community work thing. I'm first aid trained and use it serving the community while I'm working. Is that ok? Also been accepted as a volunteer at citizens information but haven't started training or my placement yet!! So nervous I've my heart set on this. Help :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭ZoneAlarm

LaurzH27 wrote: »
    Got my interview in just over a week. Kinda nervous about the whole community work thing. I'm first aid trained and use it serving the community while I'm working. Is that ok? Also been accepted as a volunteer at citizens information but haven't started training or my placement yet!! So nervous I've my heart set on this. Help :(

Just be yourself as if you went for the interview for your citizens information placement, simply, keep it short and to the point, as they say less is more, hope that helps.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭King Ludvig

Well, it took just over three months since sending my initial application, but I finally got a letter today inviting me to the interview and report writting stage. :D Nervously excited now! Time to re-read this entire thread....:pac:

Well, it took just over three months since sending my initial application, but I finally got a letter today inviting me to the interview and report writting stage. :D Nervously excited now! Time to re-read this entire thread....:pac:

oh wow! I was wondering where you had gone to. Best of Luck now King Ludvig. Any queries, just ask away :)

• Advertisement

Well ive got the interview later this week, currently running the questions and my answers over in my head!

The main topics I supposedly will be asked about are working as part of a team, solving a difficult problem and being involved in your local community (and maybe conflict resolution).

I think I have the community involvement covered pretty well. As for the others (solving problems and working in a team), my stories seem pretty amateurish....anyone willing to share their examples to give me something to compare to? :o

Do you work in a factory or with other people hands on so to speak, does your work involve you passing work to others in your job, do you play football for a team or anyother sport involving team play.

Did anything happen in your job that you where able to solve or anything else that you done that sorted a problem out.

Im a post-grad in college at the moment. I suppose I could talk about a recent group project I did with class mates - nothing hugely exciting though, just the usual run of the mill meeting up deciding who's doing what etc. Dont know how I develope that into some sort of interesting demenstration of my abillity to work in a team.

I work part-time in a petrol station also. Im a supervisor, usually only managing two other staff but I suppose thats something I could talk about if they ask about leadership.

As for solving a difficult problem....its a petrol station, not exactly the most challenging of jobs. Dealing with difficult customers would probably be the height of it.

I work part-time in a petrol station also. Im a supervisor, usually only managing two other staff but I suppose thats something I could talk about if they ask about leadership.

As for solving a difficult problem....its a petrol station, not exactly the most challenging of jobs. Dealing with difficult customers would probably be the height of it.

There ya go top marks for both, you have to manage people, you have to deal with people aggrived etc, make a scanario up if needed, responsibilities would be cashing up making sure the tills ballance at the end of the shift for you and the staff working under you.

Cheers man, thats actually quite helpful! Yeah counting tills, making and receiving orders from suppliers, being a 'keyholder' etc are all things I could talk myself up on! Not huge levels of responsibility compared to other jobs but still!

I was reading over the first few pages of this thread earlier ZoneAlarm, back when you were going for the initial interview yourself. How did you get on in the end?

Not a problem at all, just keep calm and eye contact while speaking to them, you will be fine responsibilities come in many guises, you have one use it to your advantage, keeping staff happy and punters is a big plus, its showing you have the ability to deal with things, plus you have your weekly or monthly meeting with your supervisor/ manager to discuss various aspects of your job, just think of it as you doing that at the interview.

Guess who gets to fill out the BR Form? :D Thanks for the well wishes and advice (Eroo, Kerry4sam and ZoneAlarm in particular ;)). I got the letter saying I was successful only 3 days after the interview!! That must be record time!

Guess who gets to fill out the BR Form? :D Thanks for the well wishes and advice (Eroo, Kerry4sam and ZoneAlarm in particular ;)). I got the letter saying I was successful only 3 days after the interview!! That must be record time!
    Where was your interview!? I'd mine a week ago and still no news:-(

Mine was in Dublin City Centre. Your letter is probably on it's way, apparently it usually takes 7-10 working days to hear back. Not sure why mine was so quick but I was sure it was bad news!

I really hope so!!! Congrats to you :-)

• Advertisement

Cheers, hope its good news for you too!

Cheers, hope its good news for you too!
    Got my letter today Phew :-)

Good news I take it? :)

kerry4sam wrote: »

Good news I take it? :)

Good news indeed!! BR form here I come

• Registered Users Posts: 32 EimearM1

I applied for my interview about 3 weeks ago now , still waiting , in the meantime does anyone have any advice for me , i think i have the volunteer work and my reason for wanting to join the garda reserves covered im just struggling a bit on past experience and challenges iv faced , i had a baby quite young at the age of 16 but and i worked in a fast food rest restaurant straight beside a night club my usual shift would be 7.30 evening to 4.30am , i just dont no what kind of challenges i could say iv overcome . :S help

• Registered Users Posts: 22 daedalus177

Hi,

I have applied recently for the Garda Reserve, I was looking to find out on avergae how long do people wait between applying and getting called for an interview? its about 3/4 weeks since i applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Hi,

I have applied recently for the Garda Reserve, I was looking to find out on avergae how long do people wait between applying and getting called for an interview? its about 3/4 weeks since i applied.

I don't think there will be interviews for the Garda reserve anytime soon, They have a huge waiting list of candidates waiting on the background checks to be completed so they can do medicals and move onto training. I think the main concern at the moment is to clear this backlog of candidates who have been waiting long, I done my interview in January 2011 and met with my superintendent in December 2011, and I'm still waiting to be called for medical, so be prepared it is a very long process! I would ring public jobs and ask if their is any interviews planned.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea there such a back log. Im prepared for a long wait however, I think I'll get in touch with PAS in the coming weeks and ask about any up coming interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭A.G.S

Thanks for the info, I had no idea there such a back log. Im prepared for a long wait however, I think I'll get in touch with PAS in the coming weeks and ask about any up coming interviews.

Yes do get in touch with them! Yes there is a huge back log seems everyone and their mums wants to join the Garda reserve these days either to get experience for when the full time recruitment starts or their just nosey :D

• Advertisement

Haha, i dont know about being nosey, but im really looking for a change, Ive spoken to several local full time Gardai and sergeants about it, its something i hope to get involved in.

Advertisement