Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Reserve - Interview/Report-Writing (see Moderator note: POST#1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭ghost86

I know it is helpfull hugo13 but my question is about the interview. Is there any prep or familiarisation material out there for the interview?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Hugo13

ghost86 wrote: »
    I know it is helpfull hugo13 but my question is about the interview. Is there any prep or familiarisation material out there for the interview?

Oh right sorry. None specifically to the Garda Reserve as far as I know, so can't help ya there.

You'll get questions about education/work background, motivations to join and then examples of when you used you skills such as leadership, decision making and also community relations. I think that's generally the way it is so you're best working on that.

Thanks Hugo13, so I take it that that is all they ask about?

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

ghost86 wrote: »
    Thanks Hugo13, so I take it that that is all they ask about?

You will be asked about:

Your reasons for joining etc
    Working as part of a team
    Solving a difficult problem
    Being involved in your local area

I prepared 2-3 answers for the last 3

Thanks hugo13 and tripp

• Advertisement

I'm pretty much the same as Tripp. That covers it really, and it should develop into a pretty normal chat from this so I wouldnt be worried about it. If you've covered those points you should be fine.

Best of luck.

Hi,

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive notification on whether you passed the interview or not?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Hugo13 wrote: »
    Hi,

Does anyone know how long it takes to receive notification on whether you passed the interview or not?

Thanks

Hi, the average seems to be 7-10days.

Thanks Kerry.
    its been two weeks for me, hope that doesnt mean something:confused:

Hugo13 wrote: »
    Thanks Kerry.
    its been two weeks for me, hope that doesnt mean something:confused:

Well it is bound to mean something.

It could be that they done so many interviews around the country and that has delayed the issuing of results.

As I said though, the average is 7-10days, I should have specified working days (ie not including week-ends) so I would just hold tough for another 5-7 working days and ring then if you've not heard anything. I would be surprised though if you didn't hear by this day next week.

• Advertisement

Okay, thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Ruairi88

I done my interview on a Wednesday and I found out the Friday week after the Wednesday so it's about 7-10 days (weekend inc) I passed so I'm really pleased. As for the notice I asked for an earlier interview if possible as I was due to fly to the States (which was cancelled). I think interview notice is about 2-3 weeks although I got called on the Monday and was asked could I come to Dublin on the Wednesday (I was told to expect short notice).

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Conmc88

Can anyone please tell me where I can find an application form for the gards as iv been lookin to apply for quite a while now and the local garda station is consistently out of them

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Conmc88 wrote: »
    Can anyone please tell me where I can find an application form for the gards as iv been lookin to apply for quite a while now and the local garda station is consistently out of them
    Ill assume that you mean the Garda Reserve since your posting in the Reserve section
    All infomation is in the ******Garda Reserve Guide******

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Falony

hi
    I've got my interview next tuesday and was wondering could anyone give me a few tips on how they got on in your own interview like some of the questions they asked you and what format did you write the report excercise down.
    thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Iceman aka Bobby Drake

Falony wrote: »
    hi
    I've got my interview next tuesday and was wondering could anyone give me a few tips on how they got on in your own interview like some of the questions they asked you and what format did you write the report excercise down.
    thanks

Hey man i had mine this morning... They asked me stuff about my knowledge of templemoore, but they also asked about school/college.. hobbies.. community work

the written exercise is pretty straight forward... spend time reading through it and joting down notes! then go back and write the report.... a warning tho time seems to serious fly when ur doing it... i was like less then a min away from finshing and couldn't finish my final sentence.. which was abit of a bi*ch

hi
    Does anyone know what format is the written test for the garda reserve to be done in ?????????????????

Hi
    how many situations were ye asked in the interview about
    (a) working as part of a team
    (b) solving a difficult problem
    (c) being involved in your local area

Hey Falony... The format <snip> not for discussion here!

The questions I got asked was all 3 that you named. For the working as part of a team I put down my local Foroige group. I'm in this as part of my college placement so kinda elaborated on that a bit. If your involved in anything in your community like Foroige, Civil Defence even if your working somewhere I'm sure there was times when you had to work as part of a team to get through a sticky situation.

Oh and don't worry about it you'll be fine! You'll just have to use a bit of common sense when doing the report writing it's not rocket science. Good posture in the interview, speak fluently and clearly and you'll fly it!

Best of Look!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Well guys , I have my interview next week on the 18th of May. I'm looking forward to it at the same time as been nervous. I didn't pass maths in my L.C, and they have still called me in. Hopefully I won't be turned away on the day.

Anyone got any tips/advice for me ? One question, I can't figure out how to answer in my head is my reason for joining.

Will I go with

1. I'm sick of scumbags thinking they own the place and making life hard for good citizens. Approach?

Or

2. Too help and protect the vulnerable members of society while upholding the name of the organisation. Approach ?

Another thing is I don't own a suit, I'm going to wear jeans. Will I go with Runners or Shoes. Then a shirt maybe a tie? I'm 21 and wouldn't wear a tie to be honest. Should I just dress as if I was going out into town on a night out?

Also, on the questions they ask do you think it would be ok to answer all questions regarding team work, solving a difficult problem etc.. with answers from my current job?

First things first. You can not go into an interview with the line "I'm sick of scumbags making it difficult for everyone else" do you actually want to fail? If your aspirations are to join the full-time force use that in the interview. I want to join the Garda Reserve as I have aspirations to join the force full time and I am looking for the experience.

Secondly rent a suit! if you were an interviewer what would you think of a person who walked in with a pair of runners on and wearing a pair of jeans? You have to sell yourself well. Wearing a suit is also a sign that you respect the interview board and you take pride in your appearance.

Thirdly and finally, I'm sure you have worked as part of team outside your occupation, incorporate that into your "working as part of a team" answer.

Goodluck.

Ruairi88 wrote: »
    First things first. You can not go into an interview with the line "I'm sick of scumbags making it difficult for everyone else" do you actually want to fail? If your aspirations are to join the full-time force use that in the interview. I want to join the Garda Reserve as I have aspirations to join the force full time and I am looking for the experience.

Secondly rent a suit! if you were an interviewer what would you think of a person who walked in with a pair of runners on and wearing a pair of jeans? You have to sell yourself well. Wearing a suit is also a sign that you respect the interview board and you take pride in your appearance.

Thirdly and finally, I'm sure you have worked as part of team outside your occupation, incorporate that into your "working as part of a team" answer.

Goodluck.

Thanks Ruairi , never though about renting a suit must look into it on Monday. Don't worrie I'm not going to go with that line, like you said. I am interested in the full time so, I'll just jot down some thoughts on Monday as to why I want to join against what they do and what I can gain from joining them and what they can get from me joining them.

Thanks!

msg11 wrote: »
    Well guys , I have my interview next week on the 18th of May. I'm looking forward to it at the same time as been nervous. I didn't pass maths in my L.C, and they have still called me in. Hopefully I won't be turned away on the day.
    Another thing is I don't own a suit, I'm going to wear jeans. Will I go with Runners or Shoes. Then a shirt maybe a tie? I'm 21 and wouldn't wear a tie to be honest. Should I just dress as if I was going out into town on a night out?

Thanks Ruairi , never though about renting a suit must look into it on Monday. ...Thanks!

To be honest, what you said above would actually be okay. Not everyone would wear at suit. Once you dress formal you will be okay. Some like yourself may not actually own a suit and some won't for varying reasons be able to rent suits either. All of that is understood and as I said, once you are smartly dressed you will be okay.
    Dress smart and polish your shoes :) Good Luck on the 18th.

kerry4sam wrote: »
    To be honest, what you said above would actually be okay. Not everyone would wear at suit. Once you dress formal you will be okay. Some like yourself may not actually own a suit and some won't for varying reasons be able to rent suits either. All of that is understood and as I said, once you are smartly dressed you will be okay.
    Dress smart and polish your shoes :) Good Luck on the 18th.

Well tomorrow is the day, got my formal outfit just there today and a new haircut. Have to get my stuff photocopied tonight. Looking forward too tomorrow, just to get it out of the way and see what happens.

Decided against the jeans got slacks new shoes a shirt and a tie. Also going to go with; wanting to join the Garda full time in the near future and want to get a feel for the job while waiting for recruitment to begin.

Also remember I do Astro on a Thursday so going to some how fit that into my team approach.

Any more advise ?!

Thanks Kerry4Sam and Ruairi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 USERNAME24

Well tomorrow is the day, got my formal outfit just there today and a new haircut. Have to get my stuff photocopied tonight. Looking forward too tomorrow, just to get it out of the way and see what happens.

Decided against the jeans got slacks new shoes a shirt and a tie. Also going to go with; wanting to join the Garda full time in the near future and want to get a feel for the job while waiting for recruitment to begin.

Best of luck although I dont think anyone outside the current panel will be joining full time AGS in near future.:(

Well folks, grand owl day. Was in and out of the hole thing with in and 1 and 30 mins. The interview was only 15-20mins. Was this the same for everyone else?

The written test wasn't too bad, although I do think they should send out an example of the cartoon style strip to people cause it's alot different from the lines of text in there examples sent out.

Well folks, grand owl day. Was in and out of the hole thing with in and 1 and 30 mins. The interview was only 15-20mins. Was this the same for everyone else?

The written test wasn't too bad, although I do think they should send out an example of the cartoon style strip to people cause it's alot different from the lines of text in there examples sent out.

I remember that the time flew for me aswell in there. The written for me was exactly as I expected with what I had received from PAS. They may have changed that though.
    Ah sur, how bad anwyays. It is all behind you now. Well done :)

You should receive your result in normally 7-10working days.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭B2deF

I have my interview next week. I'm fine with everything except the community thing they ask in the interview. Any tips please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭nathancool

Well did my report writing and interview. I think the interview went well, But the report writing I was so dissopointed with as I only finished half of it.

Tbh I feel sick because of it. Is there set amount of marks I need to get or if I did well in the interview and bad in the report writing that they may excuse it ??

Advertisement