Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unfortunately with its smaller size Galway will be more difficult to find work in than Dublin. Summer coming the tourist start arriving and with them the need for more short time workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

Happy days are always looking for staff. musgraves will be gone at the end of june. so mr blond will have to go into the social office for the first time in 20yrs, its going to hit him hard (him and 140more)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Hey folks - pardon my ignorance as a Galway newb... but who/what are 'happy days'?

Is it the newsagents? Thanks a mil for the tip.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Happy days is a newsagent at the Tesco Shopping centre.

The Red Square are looking for part time staff too I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Trí wrote: »
    Hey folks - pardon my ignorance as a Galway newb... but who/what are 'happy days'?

Is it the newsagents? Thanks a mil for the tip.:)

:D

Yes newsagents in headford rd shopping centre, at the front near BoI. Was in there myself today! What work are you looking for? Smyths HO are looking for 2 buyers. PM for more details if its in your field??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Creganna out in Parkmore are filling positions for weekend/nights now because of some new orders, get your CV in fast and emphasise previous line/cleanroom experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

a lot of employers are just taking the p1ss, these days unfortunately :mad:
    cleaner.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

you have got to be freakin' kidding me.

Cleaning washrooms is not what that program is for. FFS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

a lot of employers are just taking the p1ss, these days unfortunately :mad:
    cleaner.jpg

Why would anyone clean toilets for free :confused: Or does the "no salary" part mean that it's wage-based job i.e. work from week to week and see how it goes? I noticed a lot of "placement" positions on the FAS website that offer no salary. Good of them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Maybe these jobs are actually Fás placements; i.e. you get your Fás allowance/payment but they place you to work for this company??

• Advertisement

these are WPP scheme jobs.

Basically, you keep your dole, the company doesn't pay you, but you get experience to add to your CV. Oh, but you have to eat your travel costs, so in many cases you're worse off working financially - if you're barely making ends meet on the dole, good luck.

Unfortunately, I doubt that "cleaning toilets" is such worthwhile experience that it should be included in this scheme - especially since it has a 6 month minimum duration. I mean seriously how long could it possibly take to learn how to scrub a goddamn toilet?

Then there's the employers who are looking to hire people under WPP but they're demanding 3+ years of experience. That's not the point of the WPP either - it's for people who have no experience!

Finally, there's the fact that in this country, the longer you're unemployed, the more programs are open to you. So after a while, your months of unemployment start to be a bit of a currency that you can trade in. But if you go on one of these WPPs and you don't get a job at the end (because what's stopping them from replacing you with some more free labour with another WPP person?) you're back to square one, 0 months unemployment, and have to wait another 12 until you can avail of stuff like BTWEA or BTEA.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Blank_

I think the only way to find a job in Galway is to leave your CV everywhere, really everywhere! Was out of work for 2 months, got another one after around 100cvs left. Its really hard but not impossible :)

Oh and this WWP thing is a joke!! Saw the same for sales assistant few weeks ago, like WTF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

Those adverts can be reported to FAS, and I'd advise anyone that sees them to do so, they are usually pretty good about taking off the worst of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,791 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Amhran Nua wrote: »
    Those adverts can be reported to FAS, and I'd advise anyone that sees them to do so, they are usually pretty good about taking off the worst of them.

Got a link or anything we can use to report?

(I'm currently hatching a plan for a new, but yet manageable, way to share information about jobs in the more casual/low-exerience end of the market. Suffice to say "paid work only, no work experience programmes" is one of my criteria!)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

cranky bollix, you are so right, that ad really is taking the mickey. 6 hours a day, 5 days a week for no pay? Why would anyone sign up for that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Malice_ wrote: »
    cranky bollix, you are so right, that ad really is taking the mickey. 6 hours a day, 5 days a week for no pay? Why would anyone sign up for that?

Say you're 23 and unemployed, you'll get €150 in JA but if you undertake a WPP, that increases to a whopping €196. Plus you get seriously fantastic experience.

I saw one earlier for an office worker which duties included editing the boss's Phd thesis

snubbleste wrote: »
    Say you're 23 and unemployed, you'll get €150 in JA but if you undertake a WPP, that increases to a whopping €196. Plus you get seriously fantastic experience.

afaik, you only keep your payment, ie, what you were getting before.

snubbleste wrote: »
    I saw one earlier for an office worker which duties included editing the boss's Phd thesis

lmfao.

I worked at a place where one of the girls in the office did the boss's coursework for his degree - degree was related to his profession :rolleyes:

lolz-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Amhran Nua

JustMary wrote: »
    Got a link or anything we can use to report?
    They've no specific route as far as I know, just info@fas.ie should do the trick.
    JustMary wrote: »
    (I'm currently hatching a plan for a new, but yet manageable, way to share information about jobs in the more casual/low-exerience end of the market. Suffice to say "paid work only, no work experience programmes" is one of my criteria!)
    I don't think there's much shortage of workforce for those sorts of jobs, which makes those WPP adverts all the worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

We're looking for a graduate HW engineer for a position in our Budapest office.
    We have an office in Galway & Dublin also.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭StinkySocs

I can't believe those WPP ads. OMG, best of luck to everyone looking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 lilygirl

Hi I heard Radisson hotel need couple of chefs.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭cranky bollix

the main problem with this wpp scheme is that employers that would usually hire someone for a job with pay are now just chancing their arms and hiring without pay.so instead of someone working and paying taxes, they have to stay on the dole and squeeze more money from our economy. there are lots of examples around ,and the media is more interested in other non-sense.
    another example taken from different site

http://jobbank.fas.ie/servlet/Watis?SESS=19944_3&REQUEST=WWW_JS_VAC_SHOWJOBS&BACK=TEMPLATE%3DWWW_JS_VAC_CRITERIUM_SELECT.HTM

"Where once there were at least 4 jobs, there are now four more people unemployed. Although they will be working but their paltry wages are paid for by the taxpayer.

1.+ Retail Sales Consultant (WPP2) 37.5 Dublin 2 JB534349
    Area of Activity: ECCO Shoes, Retail Sales Consultant. Handling cash, stockroom duties, administration duties, selling shoes. Elements of Experience offered: professional sales experience; brand training programme; stock management and training; IT training on Sales P.O.S system, Word, Excel and emails; rostering skills; general housekeeping skills; team skills. Person Specification: We will require persons who have the capacity to undertake as follows: be enthusiastic about selling and approaching customers. Work hard as part of a team. Be prepared to adopt the principles of the ECCO brand - full training given. Show capability of being organised. Be prepared to get their hands dirty.

2.+ Retail Sales Consultant (WPP2) 37.5 Swords - Dublin North County JB534355
    Area of Activity: ECCO Shoes, Retail Sales Consultant. Handling cash, stockroom duties, administration duties, selling shoes. Elements of Experience offered: professional sales experience; brand training programme; stock management and training; IT training on Sales P.O.S system, Word, Excel and emails; rostering skills; general housekeeping skills; team skills. Person Specification: We will require persons who have the capacity to undertake as follows: be enthusiastic about selling and approaching customers. Work hard as part of a team. Be prepared to adopt the principles of the ECCO brand - full training given. Show capability of being organised. Be prepared to get their hands dirty.

3.+ Retail Sales Consultant (WPP2) 37.5 Quarryvale JB534373

4.+ Retail Sales Consultant (WPP2) 37.5 Blanchardstown JB534396
    Area of Activity: ECCO Shoes, Retail Sales Consultant. Handling cash, stockroom duties, administration duties, selling shoes. Elements of Experience offered: professional sales experience; brand training programme; stock management and training; IT training on Sales P.O.S system, Word, Excel and emails; rostering skills; general housekeeping skills; team skills. Person Specification: We will require persons who have the capacity to undertake as follows: be enthusiastic about selling and approaching customers. Work hard as part of a team. Be prepared to adopt the principles of the ECCO brand - full training given. Show capability of being organised. Be prepared to get their hands dirty."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I went to college in Galway and loved it, I'm from just up the road in Mayo (like most people you meet in galway...) but I always wanted to come back. It's one of those cities you could really see yourself settle in cos is beutifull, crime IS NOT bad, and there's a million things to do arts/rec wise. And I know a lot of the people I know from Dublin who were down here said the same.

But it has only been recently since I began looking for work and talking/networking that I have found that galway has this reputation as 'the city where ambition dies'.
    Everyone who goes to college there would love to stay but, well, just cant really for the most part. And those who do find it hard to move up. And apparantely this has always been the way.

Would love to hear some opinions on this, tbh I wouldn't mind trading a fair few grand a year for the quality of life that I know Galway will offer me but its looking like dublin for me now, which is grand Dublin is ok, but I'm west of Ireland man and would love to get back here some day. But do you ideally need a local connection to manage a life in Galway?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Stacks Mad

I don't think the wpp1 is that bad but the problem is that not enough companies are aware of the programme. I'm a recent engineering graduate and cannot break into my field due to lack of experience and the wpp1 gave me some hope but to no avail as the majority of the engineering firms are not aware of the programme.

Yes some business take advantage of free labour but this will happen in all aspect of the business world.
    If you go on to any employment website they are looking for lots of people with engineering backgrounds but all want at least 3-4 years experience,
    it's a catch 22 for me at the moment:(.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Carolyyn

I went to college in Galway and loved it, I'm from just up the road in Mayo (like most people you meet in galway...) but I always wanted to come back. It's one of those cities you could really see yourself settle in cos is beutifull, crime IS NOT bad, and there's a million things to do arts/rec wise. And I know a lot of the people I know from Dublin who were down here said the same.

But it has only been recently since I began looking for work and talking/networking that I have found that galway has this reputation as 'the city where ambition dies'.
    Everyone who goes to college there would love to stay but, well, just cant really for the most part. And those who do find it hard to move up. And apparantely this has always been the way.

Would love to hear some opinions on this, tbh I wouldn't mind trading a fair few grand a year for the quality of life that I know Galway will offer me but its looking like dublin for me now, which is grand Dublin is ok, but I'm west of Ireland man and would love to get back here some day. But do you ideally need a local connection to manage a life in Galway?

I think that jobs-wise Galway has always been very hard to break into. I'm from Mayo originally and after college in Galway had to move to Dublin to spend a number of years getting the work experience I needed in my field of work. I moved to Galway in 2007, but had spend the 2 previous years solidly applying for and doing interviews for jobs back in the west. It took a lot of patience because towards the end I was getting fed up in Dublin and even considered taking an unskilled job just to move west. Anyway I did get a job with equal pay to what I had in Dublin in the end and boy did I notice how much more money I had in my pocket too !
    So my point is that even in the (very) good times it was difficult to get into the jobs market here. When I lived in Dublin so many others I met were also trying for work in Galway.I've since got a network and contacts in the sector I work in here and have to say that without fail the job vacancies that arise go to people within this network or else to someone that someone knows. It's very closed and I can see now why it was so hard to get a job as an outsider.
    So for vast majority of graduates I would say that definitely going to another city or country for work experience is the way to go if you seriously want to have any kind of a chance of developing a career related to your qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,170 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Jobs going in Subway on Foster Street, They were looking for staff in The Skeff and Cookes..but that was a while ago. Hogans are looking for a Deli assistant. KFC are looking for an Assistant Manager and Team Leaders and will most likely be looking for assistants too. Happy Days are also looking for staff. HP seem to be looking for weekend workers for demo'ing printer,laptops etc.

Skeff are looking again. Richardsons are looking for waitresses..actually saw a whole bunch of jobs but they are the only two I remember from walking through town this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

The new drive-thru KFC in Briarhill Dunnes Stores (due to open in next few weeks I think?) has signs up looking for staff

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement