Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sky 3d

Options
  • 05-04-2010 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

sky 3d is now showing up on channel 217, not that ill be using it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Yep, the whole concept seems a tad silly

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Unlike HD i don't see much of a take-up of 3D. There'll always be a few that have to have the latest gadget but with most people only starting to look at HD now i don't see 3D being a big earner for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭IrishKev

I think it's obviously not going to as big a hit as HD, at least not for another few years, but I saw the United Chelsea game in 3D in the Grand Central in O'Connell St. on Saturday and it looked great. Is it going to cost extra on a HD sub for the 3D services? Excluding the 3DTV of course, even though I think it will work on some HDTV's, there are some ones that are 600Hz, I think 200Hz is the required level for 3D ones?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

IrishKev wrote: »
    I think it's obviously not going to as big a hit as HD, at least not for another few years, but I saw the United Chelsea game in 3D in the Grand Central in O'Connell St. on Saturday and it looked great. Is it going to cost extra on a HD sub for the 3D services? Excluding the 3DTV of course, even though I think it will work on some HDTV's, there are some ones that are 600Hz, I think 200Hz is the required level for 3D ones?

I have heard some very mixed reviews on the game shown the other day.

At the moment all that is required to watch the preview is a Sky World subscription and HD. Football matches are blocked to all domestic viewers for some reason.

You will need a 3D ready tv to watch. A normal HDTV will not be good enough.

Personally I am not going to bother with this. For home use I think it is very gimmicky and the fad will die out over time.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    You will need a 3D ready tv to watch. A normal HDTV will not be good enough.

Personally I am not going to bother with this. For home use I think it is very gimmicky and the fad will die out over time.

Yeah not a chance I'd buy a 3DTV either, at least not until it becomes very common and much cheaper. HDTVs are dear enough as it is, so 3DTVs are going to be a way dearer. But I do think sport in 3D looks amazing, and people will catch on to the whole fad in a while if documentaries and films all begin to be broadcast in 3D.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

YBut I do think sport in 3D looks amazing, and people will catch on to the whole fad in a while if documentaries and films all begin to be broadcast in 3D.

What about the adult channels, any chance of them going 3D?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,798 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Maybe its just my eyesight but I've seen 2 3D movies in the cinema now (Avatar being one) and the effect for me was barely noticable most of the time.

Plus I don't fancy having to wear big clunky 3D glasses to watch TV in my own front room. I think it's a fad, it'll continue in the cinema for a while yet, then die out - just like it did first time round.

Sky would be better off sorting out their existing pricing (+€15 for HD versions of channels I already pay for??) before trying to get people to part with more of it.

evilivor wrote: »
    What about the adult channels, any chance of them going 3D?

I wondered the same! And I've heard about 10 people say the same since :D and... http://www.overheardindublin.com/story.php?id=6269

• Registered Users Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭danois

I just bought the samsung PS50B451 in the manual it talks about using the 3D function mentions a 3D IR Emitter which is not included would this mean that if i was to buy a 3d ir emitter that the tv would then be 3d ready??

Thanks a million

http://www.3dflightsim.com/articles/HDTVisHERE.htm I am guessing that this means it probably is sorry should of tried google first!!

Yeah ye got your answer there :D How much was that TV at all? and where did you get it? Just curious, wonder if its much extra than a normal HDTV...

• Advertisement

it is just a normal hdtv according to that website since 2005 some samsung tvs are 3d ready but you still need to buy the glasses and emitter thing

I got it in DID for 620 not sure to be honest if thats a good or a bad price i just liked the look of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭gtg60

danois wrote: »
    but you still need to buy the glasses and emitter thing

Oh, are these the glasses that are over £100 each!

yes as far as i know they are expensive enough but i am not sure how much I am guessing too much for me to bother buying tho by the looks of things

Yeah these glasses are like €100, they are active ones which need batteries and are better quality than passive ones (worth a fiver), but they'd want to be at €100! I wonder would the passive glasses be OK for your TV? Seeing as the active ones would work?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Mini Driver

anyone who thinks 3d tv is a fad and will die out is just plain wrong!! Its gonna take over the gaming world and it is amazing in the cinema. obviously not gonna be the same on home tv but its still amazing ive seen it at an expo in America and it was unreal.

Defo gonna wait for a year or 2 till it gets cheaper though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭Calibos

They're launching in Pubs first as a promotional exercise with the channel going live for home subscribers in Sept/Oct. Its free to HD subscribers. Its content will be 'Event' programming whether that be a Premiership Match, a Blockbuster 3D movie or a 3D Discovery/Nat Geo doc.

Its not for everything, you won't be watching Coronation Street, Snooker, the latest Jennifer Aniston Rom Com, or a 3D WW1 documentary in 3D and you won't be watching all your TV with the glasses on. Why do people seem to think this will be the case?? The HD 3D TV's after this first generation won't be that much more expensive. (Yes its only flagship models that have it this year but the tech will filter down to the cheaper models over the next year or two) The new Technology in the sets to make them good for 3D also make them better for 2D which is what you will be watching on these TV's 99% of the time. I don't see what the problem is.

I was/am a bit skeptical about the immersive affect on average plasma sizes of 42-50" at normal viewing distances and thought there was no point to 3D except with Projector screen sizes but there are a lot of reports coming from people who have seen the shop demo's and they are suprisingly positive given the screen sizes and viewing distances. I'll now reserve judgement to I get a look myself. The mixed reports from poeple who have been to the Pub premiership showings seem to be down to where the managed to get a seat. ie. the positive reports were from those up front and closer to the screen and the negative reports are from those standing at the back 20 or 30 feet from the screens where the 3D effect is virtually invisible. I said from the beginning that Sky were mad to promote 3D in Pubs. The 30% of punters in a given pub up front would be positive about 3D but you'd have the 70% in the middle and back leaving and saying it was a load of bollix :D ie. Sky knew it was a waste of time promoting HD in pubs first because beyond a certain distance no one would see the difference between SD and HD. Why they thought pub promotion for 3D was a good idea I don't know because similarily to HD, beyond a certain distance the 3D effect is invisible.

As for people saying it'll fail just like it did in the past...

In the past polorised glasses systems (not the blue and red crap) did exist suprisingly far back. (1950's) The problem was the screen technology, even the polorised glasses tech and the projector technology was prohibitively expensive for cinemas. It was terribly hard to perfectly sync two 35mm projectors etc. So although the potential was there for full colour 3D even back then, in practice you had to hope that not only was there a Cinema within a couple of hundred miles of you that had the financial clout to install the system but you had to hope they had a projectionist at the top of their game. No wonder full clour 3D never went mainstream. Hardly anyone got to see it at its best.

Then they tried the red and blue glasses tech. This was a backwards step in terms of the visuals (movie colours were messed up) but it was cheaper and easier for more cinemas to install and for the projectionist to run. That obviously didn't impress too many people.

Its only now with digital projection and better cheaper polorisation systems that full colour HD 3D is cheap enough and easy enough to install and run for enough cinemas to install it to make it massmarket. Ditto in the home. Its only now with high refresh rate low pixel response time large screens with cheap poloriser or active shutter glasses systems that proper full colour high res 3D is possible at home.

This is not a rehash of 3D or the same ol same ol. All the other times 3D was pushed in the past were premature. Now we have the technology to do it right in the cinema and at home. You can't compare the current push with 3D in the Cinema or High Def 3D at home with any 3D false start in the past.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I for one am just waiting for the retailers online or bricks and mortor to get them in and am getting one. Can not wait.

I wonder would the passive glasses be OK for your TV? Seeing as the active ones would work?

Anyone have an answer to this question? Would the passive glasses work on the 3DTV danois bought? The active ones are abit expensive so if the passive ones would work they'd do imo, no point wasting €100 a pop on glasses when ones worth a fiver would be OK?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭lcrcboy

Anyone have an answer to this question? Would the passive glasses work on the 3DTV danois bought? The active ones are abit expensive so if the passive ones would work they'd do imo, no point wasting €100 a pop on glasses when ones worth a fiver would be OK?

ya that would be the job, go to the cinema with the family and take your glasses when the film is over:D:D... actually got a few lying around from avatar.
    theres a few 3d tvs for sale in limerick for about 1700 euro not to bad I got to see a demo expected it to be worse pretty impressed especially with the sports.
    Heard nintendo are going to realese a 3d DS and they say you wont need glasses does anyone know how this is possible???

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

lcrcboy wrote: »
    Heard nintendo are going to realese a 3d DS and they say you wont need glasses does anyone know how this is possible???

Was that last Thursday, by any chance?

• Advertisement

Was that last Thursday, by any chance?

ya it was... I read about it on BBC news webpage in the tech section during the morning

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,542 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

ya it was... I read about it on BBC news webpage in the tech section during the morning

Remind me ... what was the date last Thursday?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

Priced at £4299 including 5-year Panasonic warranty:D:D

for one of these

Press release for nintendo translation here :D:D

another linkie

Remind me ... what was the date last Thursday?

:D:D:D:D:D:D

bollox didint even cross my mind :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

bollox didint even cross my mind :P:P:P

its actually true, it was announced before April 1st

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,629 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ya that would be the job, go to the cinema with the family and take your glasses when the film is over:D:D

Doesn't work, different technology.

I have to say, I've been to a few 3D movies now and with the exception of Avatar, I'm completely underwhelmed by 3D. The 3D was barely noticeable and didn't add anything at all to these movies.

bk wrote: »
    Doesn't work, different technology.

I have to say, I've been to a few 3D movies now and with the exception of Avatar, I'm completely underwhelmed by 3D. The 3D was barely noticeable and didn't add anything at all to these movies.

So will the Sky 3D channel broadcast in the Autumn just be in active 3D format, and the €150 per pair glasses will definately be required with no other option of glasses to wear?
    Also about the 3D films, I've only seen Avatar but apparently that was the only 3D film that was actually filmed in 3D, Clash of the Titans and the rest were filmed in 2D and just edited afterwards. The difference would probably be noticeable.

bump...^^^

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ken Lane

I bought Samsung PS50B451B2W on 1st Feb this year for €790.00

Noticed later 3D sync out option on the back and it seems that If I buy an IR emitter that fits into the 3D sync and 3D Glasses I am 3D.

Found this link http://www.3dflightsim.com/product/product_03.htm which sells emitter and 4 pairs of glasses for $175 including delivery. (Other options available)

Just ordered these so not 100% that will work, so will update you later but no reason to think that it will not work.

For just over €900 think it is quite reasonable for 3D and very happy with TV anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭John mac

Ken Lane wrote: »
    I bought Samsung PS50B451B2W on 1st Feb this year for €790.00

Noticed later 3D sync out option on the back and it seems that If I buy an IR emitter that fits into the 3D sync and 3D Glasses I am 3D.

Found this link http://www.3dflightsim.com/product/product_03.htm which sells emitter and 4 pairs of glasses for $175 including delivery. (Other options available)

Just ordered these so not 100% that will work, so will update you later but no reason to think that it will not work.

For just over €900 think it is quite reasonable for 3D and very happy with TV anyway.

dont forget you will need skyhd ,or a 3d bluray player. (there's only 2 or 3 films available yet)

Advertisement