Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are you single?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

dsmythy wrote: »
    Begrudgery being something that only exists in Ireland and infects all the population is simply nonsense.
    Amen!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

A similar topic pops up about once a week in some forum on this site. Irish men and their inability/lack of confidence when it comes to asking women out. I've never been properly asked out by an Irish guy, english guys all the time, they've no problem asking you out but Irish men, they beat around the bush and ask subtle questions without ever actually ASKING YOU OUT. Useless, all of you!:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I know the feeling. I can think of two occasions where the girls seemed into me. All I had to do was pull the trigger but I couldn't do it.

I think I left my balls at home those two nights. I always forget something.

would imagine most men have live and learn I guess if shes into you why hold back, whats there to gain other then beeting your self up over it as i have im sure many men have...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

A similar topic pops up about once a week in some forum on this site. Irish men and their inability/lack of confidence when it comes to asking women out. I've never been properly asked out by an Irish guy, english guys all the time, they've no problem asking you out but Irish men, they beat around the bush and ask subtle questions without ever actually ASKING YOU OUT. Useless, all of you!:rolleyes:

Why don't you do the asking then? There's no law against it you know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

tempura wrote: »
    Right, thats it so, im going to the next one. Whos with me ?
    mojesius wrote: »
    When is it? I'll go if I can.:)

Ya can't miss the thread go have a nosey about!

I'd say the same fear that holds back the men.....Rejection.

• Advertisement

I have done in the past. However, it's the mans job :p and if he clearly likes you and you've sent a million strong signals back and he STILL doesn't have the balls to ask you out... :rolleyes:

Plus, I'm really not that pushed at the moment, I'm too lazy for the stress of a relationship.

I have done in the past. However, it's the mans job :p and if he clearly likes you and you've sent a million strong signals back and he STILL doesn't have the balls to ask you out... :rolleyes:

Plus, I'm really not that pushed at the moment, I'm too lazy for the stress of a relationship.

Are you sure they're strong to him? I know there's a popular trend in society to make fun of guys saying we are thick when it comes to reading signals from women. But sometimes, it really is impossible to know if a woman is interested or not. And that's not through any fault of the guy. Sometimes the woman can literally give off no hints at all.

Fago! wrote: »

No I'm just too afraid!

thats not healthy. Theres nothing wrong with it as in I wouldnt judge you as a person tho I would say that theres nothing beter then facing your fear head on, tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

thats not healthy. Theres nothing wrong with it as in I wouldnt judge you as a person tho I would say that theres nothing beter then facing your fear head on, tbh...

I'm rapidly getting out of that as I asked a girl out for this Thursday...

Fear be gone

For me it's not so much the rejection that I'm worried about, I kind of fully expect to get rejected if it's someone I really fancy. It's the manner in how they do it which is the worrying thing. I think most girls are polite enough but some can be very rude, or worse, when a guy even just says hello.

I think it's fair to say that if a girl made a move on a guy, 99.9% of the time even if he's not interested, he won't be a nasty about it. I think that percentage drops dramatically when the roles are reversed to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Are you sure they're strong to him? I know there's a popular trend in society to make fun of guys saying we are thick when it comes to reading signals from women. But sometimes, it really is impossible to know if a woman is interested or not. And that's not through any fault of the guy. Sometimes the woman can literally give off no hints at all.

I think there's not a strong 'dating' culture in Ireland, the last time I was in America I was in a queue in a pharmacy and was asked out that's NEVER happened here and it wouldn't. At the very most it would be in the pub. You should take your chances where you get them! I think most girls think that if a guy liked them he would ask and if he doesn't he doesn't fancy them. I don't know why we're like this cos the worst that will happen is that they will so know and the best they say yes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

tink2 wrote: »
    I think there's not a strong 'dating' culture in Ireland, the last time I was in America I was in a queue in a pharmacy and was asked out that's NEVER happened here and it wouldn't. At the very most it would be in the pub. You should take your chances where you get them! I think most girls think that if a guy liked them he would ask and if he doesn't he doesn't fancy them. I don't know why we're like this cos the worst that will happen is that they will so know and the best they say yes!

if you asked a girl here for their number in a queue or in the gym or somewhere like that, they'd probably call the police. Americans are totally different.

You dumped me!

I did NOT
    I'm rapidly getting out of that as I asked a girl out for this Thursday...

Fear be gone

Well nice to see you have moved on *glares*

:pac:

For me it's not so much the rejection that I'm worried about, I kind of fully expect to get rejected if it's someone I really fancy. It's the manner in how they do it which is the worrying thing. I think most girls are polite enough but some can be very rude, or worse, when a guy even just says hello.

I think it's fair to say that if a girl made a move on a guy, 99.9% of the time even if he's not interested, he won't be a nasty about it. I think that percentage drops dramatically when the roles are reversed to be honest.

Well I decided to take the lead once and asked a dude out for drinks....only to be met by utter silence!

In fairness the lad was extremely shy and went bright red and didn't know what to do!

Haven't asked anyone out since then.

Girls can be very cruel to lads I'll agree with that. But there are always circumstances or issues that lead to these bad encounters people have with one another.

good for you, you can do it. it just require one to not overthink or asume... to much to soon.
    tho one can always asuume varrible change :pac:.....

Thanx. I just basically started thinking liike... "If I'm not in I can't win"

tink2 wrote: »

Irish dating culture is basically, get luck and meet and hit it off with someone when you're out and have a few drinks on you or happen to be out at the same time as someone you like/have the same friends as them - you both have drink on you and thus you both summon up the confidence to hook up. In general, people just don't 'date' here.
    BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    if you asked a girl here for their number in a queue or in the gym or somewhere like that, they'd probably call the police. Americans are totally different.

Yeah, thats the thing isn't it? It's not what we do, in the states they ask people out in the supermarket, in cafes, in the street. Here, we just get locked and hope to get lucky.

ToniTuddle wrote: »
    I did NOT

Well nice to see you have moved on *glares*

:pac:

Take me back?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Irish men and their inability/lack of confidence when it comes to asking women out. I've never been properly asked out by an Irish guy, english guys all the time, they've no problem asking you out but Irish men, they beat around the bush and ask subtle questions without ever actually ASKING YOU OUT.

Yeah, what the hell?
    I got the fright of my life when I first moved to London cos they have no fear here! :pac: Irish lads seem to just be unable to do it!

bronte wrote: »
    Yeah, what the hell?
    I got the fright of my life when I first moved to London cos the have no fear here! :pac: Irish lads seem to just be unable to do it!

we're well able to do it it's just the reaction we assume we would get, i.e. "he's a bleedin' weirdo", or, police sirens.

Take me back?

>.>

*Molests*

<.<

*leaves thread*

we're well able to do it it's just the reaction we assume we would get, i.e. "he's a bleedin' weirdo", or, police sirens.

So when I'm in America for the summer I should most definitely not call the cops on some dude if he randomly walks up to me and asks me out...?

Ok, I shall have an open mind and not assume they are all axe wielding murderers.

Yeah, what the hell?
    I got the fright of my life when I first moved to London cos the have no fear here! :pac: Irish lads seem to just be unable to do it!

Even in pubs and clubs, when they approach you it's so much more natural than here. Irish men tend to stumble up, looking terrified before uttering some crappy ice breaker. Us Irish wimmen must be right bitches if we scare them that much.

• Advertisement

Even in pubs and clubs, when they approach you it's so much more natural than here. Irish men tend to stumble up, looking terrified before uttering some crappy ice breaker. Us Irish wimmen must be right bitches if we scare them that much.

I think you should go out some night and try to chat up straight women. Seeing you are a woman also, I suspect you'd get the same treatment as a normal guy would :)

centuries of church oppression, over dependency on alcohol, living with our mother's till we're 45, etc, this has all taken it's toll on the Irish Male Persona over the years, give us a break ffs

Yeah, but there's a damn good chance you wouldn't!
    Maybe it's confidence?
    I got so good at doing the asking when I lived in Ireland, it's like second nature to me now ( I have no patience and couldn't be arsed waiting around :pac: )
    Over here tis like being on holiday.
    They really don't hang about!

Yeah, but there's a damn good chance you wouldn't!
    Maybe it's confidence?
    I got so good at doing the asking when I lived in Ireland, it's like second nature to me now ( I have no patience and couldn't be arsed waiting around :pac: )

maybe you just come across as gamey?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Where do you go on holiday?

Dude im bye no ways a m,an to speek to women about im ****. unless shes english then suddenly ive got a porcelen tounge and get away with things that irish women would box my ears in for saying...

Take a bmx rider like the video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKy3FKCLEho

betta ya he, gets back up and goes and does the same thing again and nails it.... why because he knows if he doesnt the fear will get worse....

But the thing is he can go over watch what he just did on a camera see where he went wrong, and then corrected it. Theres no body there to tell him where hes gone wrong, hes got to figure it out for him self...

Exxpecting to get rejected tho your almost your own worst enemy for that, its like allready making up her mind.. with out saying anything... well i think so...assume nothing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭tink2

Irish dating culture is basically, get luck and meet and hit it off with someone when you're out and have a few drinks on you or happen to be out at the same time as someone you like/have the same friends as them - you both have drink on you and thus you both summon up the confidence to hook up. In general, people just don't 'date' here.

Yeah, thats the thing isn't it? It's not what we do, in the states they ask people out in the supermarket, in cafes, in the street. Here, we just get locked and hope to get lucky.

Jaysus getting locked is great isn't it?!! LOL!

maybe you just come across as gamey?
    I can assure you Sir, I do not.
    Where do you go on holiday?

Will be in Rome in a few months Mr. Adarf.

Thanx. I just basically started thinking liike... "If I'm not in I can't win"

exactly like folding on a game of texas holdem before youve ssen the flop :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

exactly like folding on a game of texas holdem before youve ssen the flop :)

some people are dealt a 7, 2 tho :rolleyes:

Advertisement