Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for Christians who believe that non-Christians go to hell

Options
  • 04-04-2010 5:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭

If you genuinely believe that non-christians go to hell, how do you feel about this, considering that some of your friends will probably go there? Also, if you have a non-Christian child, how do you feel about them going there, and do you feel that it's unfair of God? This is a genuinely serious question, I've been wondering about this for a while. Do you feel that you will enjoy your time in heaven knowing that others are suffering?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

I want PapaRatzinger's opinion on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

If you genuinely believe that non-christians go to hell, how do you feel about this, considering that some of your friends will probably go there? Also, if you have a non-Christian child, how do you feel about them going there, and do you feel that it's unfair of God? This is a genuinely serious question, I've been wondering about this for a while. Do you feel that you will enjoy your time in heaven knowing that others are suffering?

Hi there...

This problem (or objection if you prefer) is best dealt with by splitting it up into componants.

Componant 1: Choice

(Probably) most of Christianity considers Hell to be the destination of those who choose it. Leaving aside the issue of how a person, who doesn't believe in God's existance, chooses Hell, you could see how the problem is reduced somewhat. Whilst sorrowful, you might expect that I would at least respect their decision to be where they now are. That's what they wanted afterall.

Componant 2: The Personhood of the person in Hell.

The person in Hell is there because they effectively reject association with the things of God. Which means they reject association with the image of God in which they were made. And so that image is removed from them

Which means you wouldn't recognise you own mother if you saw her in her Hell-state. All that is attractive, joyful, loving, courageous, positive ... about your mother will be gone. All that will be left is her without that which makes her good. Her selfishness, her spitefulness, her meaness ... is all you would see.

Would you miss such a creature?

* It should be noted that what I think constitutes a Christian and what you think constitutes a Christian might differ but I'm leaving that aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 peccavi

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church [ http://www.scborromeo.org/ccc/ccc_toc.htm ]:
    "Outside the Church there is no salvation"

846 How are we to understand this affirmation, often repeated by the Church Fathers? Re-formulated positively, it means that all salvation comes from Christ the Head through the Church which is his Body:

Basing itself on Scripture and Tradition, the Council teaches that the Church, a pilgrim now on earth, is necessary for salvation: the one Christ is the mediator and the way of salvation; he is present to us in his body which is the Church. He himself explicitly asserted the necessity of faith and Baptism, and thereby affirmed at the same time the necessity of the Church which men enter through Baptism as through a door. Hence they could not be saved who, knowing that the Catholic Church was founded as necessary by God through Christ, would refuse either to enter it or to remain in it.

847 This affirmation is not aimed at those who, through no fault of their own, do not know Christ and his Church:

Those who, through no fault of their own, do not know the Gospel of Christ or his Church, but who nevertheless seek God with a sincere heart, and, moved by grace, try in their actions to do his will as they know it through the dictates of their conscience - those too may achieve eternal salvation.

848 "Although in ways known to himself God can lead those who, through no fault of their own, are ignorant of the Gospel, to that faith without which it is impossible to please him, the Church still has the obligation and also the sacred right to evangelize all men."

And also, what creature said above about loving the souls in hell. All that is good, beautiful, and true is gone. Terrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

As a christian i dont belive non christians will go to hell. In fact I believe this is purgatory and we are all being judged. I believe regardless of your faith once you live to its principles and do no harm we will all go to "hevan"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭StormWarrior

Thanks for the answer. However, I do not understand why Christians think that the non-Christian chooses hell. The majority of us, we simply don't believe that the Christian god exists, or that the biblical tales are true. I, and I'm sure the majority of other people, certainly don't choose to go to hell, we just don't believe that it exists. We don't make the decision: "I have a choice between heaven and hell, and I choose hell." If it turned out that my lack of faith is wrong (although I really don't think that it is) and the Christian god is real and heaven and hell exist, then of course I would prefer heaven. But I've thought about it long and hard, studied the evidence and actually did Christian theology A-Level and studied religion at university, was sent to Sunday school for years as a child, and after all that I just genuinely do not believe that Christianity can possibly be true. If it turns out I'm wrong, that doesn't mean that I have chosen hell. I don't see how we can leave aside the issue of someone who deosn't believe in God's existence. And what about people who follow Islam or some other religion in good faith? They haven't chosen hell, they've tried everything they can to make sure that they get into heaven.

It says on many webpages that Christians believe that God allows souls to go to hell because he doesn't want to interfere with their free choice of rejecting him. But even if they believe and have rejected him, what if they don't choose hell either? What if they choose non-existence, or a non-stop eternal party or orgy? Isn't God interfering with their free will by stopping this from happening?

About component 2 - does it actually say this in the bible, that a person's good traits are removed from them in hell? Even if it does, the fact remains that your mother's consciousness still exists, and that consciousness will be in torment. Your mother is still suffering even if her personality has somehow been changed. Would you really enjoy heaven knowing that?

By Christian I just mean anyone who believes in the whole jesus thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

In order to give an adequate answer to this we must first define our terms.

1) What is a Christian?
    2) What is hell?

1) A Christian is somebody who (rightly or wrongly) genuinely believes that Jesus was the divine and ultimate revelation of God on the stage of history. And that He actually rose from the dead in vindication of His divine claims.

2) Hell is an actual real place where everybody is actually on their way to because of their sins.

If Jesus was in reality the ultimate revelation of God on the stage of history then it would be wise to heed what He says about hell wouldn't it? I think most people would concede that point even if they didn't actually believe in Jesus.

So if as a Christian you believe you have gotten the right message, that Jesus was God and hell is a real place, and that the only way to escape it is to trust in God and what He wrought through the substitution sacrificial death of His son for you to save you from your impending doom, then to not preach this message to your loved ones would mean that you don't really care about them after all. But if after you have preached it to them and they don't accept their need of what Jesus actually provided in His death. Then what else can the Christian do?

Well he could employ one of the following tactics.

1) Make the case for the truthfulness of his faith by showing forth the case of the resurrection.

2) Torture his family until they submit themselves to the will of God.

3) Say nothing at all to them and just let them go on their merry way.

If the family end up in hell after having this way out preached to them but failed to grab hold of it, then they have only got themselves to blame because the way to escape was preached to them and they failed to lay hold on it and get saved. And if they are genuinely good people who don't think they deserve hell then good for them, but the Bible states that there are none that does good, no not one. If the God of the Bible is real then He says that unless we are given over to Him in trust/faith we are none of His, and if we stand before Him on the day of judgment in that state then He will say depart from me I never knew you. If He is not the be all and end all for you in this life then you will not have any part in His Kingdom on that day. The Christian simply does not want this to happen to anybody, they want everyone saved.

And if all this ends up to be a load of BS, then there will be nothing to worry about will there? But if you end up being wrong about your conclusions that all this Jesus stuff is a crock of **** then it will simply prove that what you based your life on was a lie. If hell exists then it doesn't really matter whether anyone believes in it or not, it is fact independent of anyone's belief. And if you think God is being unfair in creating such a place then you have substitute your judgment for God's and put yourself in His place. And if you profess that we should not to put any faith in this unfair God's judgment calls, why should we put it in yours?

But why keep those souls in hell? Why not destroy them or just send them wherever they want? And why not give absolute irrefutable proof of God's existence? I mean, if god was real and those who didn't believe were going to hell, why wouldn't a loving god make absolutely sure that there was real evidence of his existence so that people could make a genuinely informed choice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭monosharp

But why keep those souls in hell? Why not destroy them or just send them wherever they want? And why not give absolute irrefutable proof of God's existence? I mean, if god was real and those who didn't believe were going to hell, why wouldn't a loving god make absolutely sure that there was real evidence of his existence so that people could make a genuinely informed choice?

Because that would be no fun.

Look its been admitted on this forum many times that even if God did do something like this it wouldn't make most of you turn to Him anyway. The central point in the Christian faith is the resurrection of Jesus. If that didn't happen then its all cr*p anyway. If it did, then its the central point of history. Plus it is the only sign Jesus said would be given to the world, the sign of Jonah. If you don't accept that sign then you'll never accept anything. In short, if God gave you something natural that you would accept then you'd want something supernatural to prove His supernatural ability. He did give something supernatural and you don't accept it because you can't test it. What is He to do with you? Some people will never see and understand, it is tragic but why should all us suffer because of the blindness of others? You simply don't and can't get it and you never will.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Hi there...

This problem (or objection if you prefer) is best dealt with by splitting it up into componants.

Componant 1: Choice

(Probably) most of Christianity considers Hell to be the destination of those who choose it. Leaving aside the issue of how a person, who doesn't believe in God's existance, chooses Hell, you could see how the problem is reduced somewhat. Whilst sorrowful, you might expect that I would at least respect their decision to be where they now are. That's what they wanted afterall.

Componant 2: The Personhood of the person in Hell.

The person in Hell is there because they effectively reject association with the things of God. Which means they reject association with the image of God in which they were made. And so that image is removed from them

Which means you wouldn't recognise you own mother if you saw her in her Hell-state. All that is attractive, joyful, loving, courageous, positive ... about your mother will be gone. All that will be left is her without that which makes her good. Her selfishness, her spitefulness, her meaness ... is all you would see.

Would you miss such a creature?

* It should be noted that what I think constitutes a Christian and what you think constitutes a Christian might differ but I'm leaving that aside.

What about a child who dies at a young age & never had enough time to find Jesus in his/her life?

Or a person who was never exposed to the outside world & also never had a chance to learn about Jesus.

What would happen to these people? People who didn't get a chance to accept or reject Jesus. Surley it would not be fair to punish somebody after death if they did not have a fair chance in life?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

tdv123 wrote: »
    What about a child who dies at a young age & never had enough time to find Jesus in his/her life?

I think you'll find that most Christians would not for a moment imagine that such a child would go to hell. They haven't committed sin yet, so there would be no reason for them to punished for sins they haven't committed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Its funny how those who hold Christianity to the more extreme non-compromising ideology are atheists and Christian fundamentalists.

The central point in the Christian faith is the resurrection of Jesus. If that didn't happen then its all cr*p anyway. If it did, then its the central point of history. Plus it is the only sign Jesus said would be given to the world, the sign of Jonah. If you don't accept that sign then you'll never accept anything. In short, if God gave you something natural that you would accept then you'd want something supernatural to prove His supernatural ability. He did give something supernatural and you don't accept it because you can't test it. What is He to do with you? Some people will never see and understand, it is tragic but why should all us suffer because of the blindness of others? You simply don't and can't get it and you never will.

What makes you think no sign would convince me? If God boomed his voice out from the sky, took us all on a trip to visit heaven and hell and caused, say, an earthquake which decimated everything and then put it all nicely back together, I'm sure a lot of people would believe. Why should anyone believe the "sign" of the resurrection? It wasn't a sign because we didn't see it, we just heard about it in a book written hundreds of years ago. What should make me accept Christianity when there's no evidence and also a hundred other religions also claiming that they are the truth?

What do you mean "why should all of us suffer because of the blindness of others?" How is it making you suffer if the "unworthy" souls are destroyed or sent somewhere else instead of kept in hell for eternity? And why doesn't God just destroy the souls who aren't destined for heaven?

If, after you die, it turns out that your belief in Christianity was mistaken and Islam was the true religion, will you be ok with the fact that you rot in hell for eternity for believing the wrong thing?

Thanks for the answer. However, I do not understand why Christians think that the non-Christian chooses hell. The majority of us, we simply don't believe that the Christian god exists, or that the biblical tales are true. I, and I'm sure the majority of other people, certainly don't choose to go to hell, we just don't believe that it exists. We don't make the decision: "I have a choice between heaven and hell, and I choose hell." If it turned out that my lack of faith is wrong (although I really don't think that it is) and the Christian god is real and heaven and hell exist, then of course I would prefer heaven. But I've thought about it long and hard, studied the evidence and actually did Christian theology A-Level and studied religion at university, was sent to Sunday school for years as a child, and after all that I just genuinely do not believe that Christianity can possibly be true. If it turns out I'm wrong, that doesn't mean that I have chosen hell. I don't see how we can leave aside the issue of someone who deosn't believe in God's existence. And what about people who follow Islam or some other religion in good faith? They haven't chosen hell, they've tried everything they can to make sure that they get into heaven.

A couple of things to note:

1) You don't reason your way to belief in God (or not) - according to the Bible. According to the Bible belief in God arises out of God's self-revelation to you.

2) How you arrive at the point where he reveals himself to you is the area involving choice. There are various arguments, my own centring on the undoubted ability a person has to believe God even when they don't believe in God. The example oft used is your believing murder to be wrong being a case of your believing God - even though you don't believe in God.

Hence a mechanism whereby God and man can interface/act - before the point where God turns up. A mechanism whereby you can make all sorts of choices w.r.t. the things of God.

3) Theology is very often taught by atheists so there isn't even the certainty that the Christian gospel was that to which you were exposed in your studies. And as Sunday school experience might point out - even being exposed to the Christian gospel (assuming you were ,there) doesn't necessarily mean a person will be saved (or "get it")

Main point: you can choose for/against God without believing God exists.

It says on many webpages that Christians believe that God allows souls to go to hell because he doesn't want to interfere with their free choice of rejecting him. But even if they believe and have rejected him, what if they don't choose hell either? What if they choose non-existence, or a non-stop eternal party or orgy? Isn't God interfering with their free will by stopping this from happening?

It would depend on your definition of free will. To me a will that is free is one that can choose freely between options presented. That the options might be limited doesn't mean the will isn't free to choose from what's there. And seeing as God is about the biggest 'item' one could choose between (as in possessing the item or not) I think this is about a free as freewill would get.

(Not that I believe man has free will I might add: I adhere to a mechanism of salvation which sees active expression of a man's will unto rejection of God and passive expression of a mans will (ie: it does nothing) unto acceptance of God. The analogy used would be one of a fisherman: if the fish caught it is by the will of the fisherman. If fish escapes it is because of the will of the fish). The fish contributes nothing, by way of act of will, to it's being caught).

About component 2 - does it actually say this in the bible, that a person's good traits are removed from them in hell? Even if it does, the fact remains that your mother's consciousness still exists, and that consciousness will be in torment. Your mother is still suffering even if her personality has somehow been changed. Would you really enjoy heaven knowing that?

I think that is the direction the Bible goes in. You must remember that the term "my mother" would cease to exist because the elements going to make up the personhood of my mother wouldn't be assembled in one person anymore. I love my mother because she is loveable - my loving is a reaction to something in her. Were it that all that is loveable is stripped away, then I wouldn't be able to love my mother anymore. She wouldn't exist to love. This doesn't mean that there isn't a consciousness there - there would indeed be. But that personhood is my mother-minus.

(As it happens my mother is also saved. So I'll be spending eternity with her :))

tdv123 wrote: »

The Bible is, I gather, silent on the issue. Better to deal with what is revealed than what isn't.
    Or a person who was never exposed to the outside world & also never had a chance to learn about Jesus.

I've no reason to suppose that a person has to have heard of Jesus in order that they be saved. If God can reach Old Testament characters and save them (before Jesus' incarnation) then I've no reason to suppose he can't do the same today.

What would happen to these people? People who didn't get a chance to accept or reject Jesus. Surley it would not be fair to punish somebody after death if they did not have a fair chance in life?

Indeed. Although I think the way of salvation involves a prior step to accepting Jesus. That prior step involves believing God in a specific way - after which a person is "given" to Jesus. A person can believe God without believing in God (see a simple, non-salvation inducing example in the post to StormWarrior above re: believing murder wrong)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭herbiemcc

Have you guys heard of correlation v causation?

"Independently agrees with" does not equal "Believes". Please get a dictionary.

This has already been discussed in other threads but it is ludicrous to say that 'believing' murder is wrong equates to believing God. Do you believe in every single god of antiquity who said that murder is wrong? Obviously you do by following your argument even though it doesn't really make sense.

I could make up a god right now and smugly say that all your opinions and ethics are derived from him because they match. You could not disprove it - ever.

The previous point made about not caring about your own mother's fate because she wouldn't be 'lovable' any more is just cold. Your mother could have a mental illness tomorrow (hopefully not of course) that would make her unrecognisably bitter and twisted. It sounds like you'd throw her in a care home and never look back. Who needs an un-lovable mother anyway?

herbiemcc wrote: »
    Have you guys heard of correlation v causation?

"Independently agrees with" does not equal "Believes". Please get a dictionary.

This has already been discussed in other threads but it is ludicrous to say that 'believing' murder is wrong equates to believing God. Do you believe in every single god of antiquity who said that murder is wrong? Obviously you do by following your argument even though it doesn't really make sense.

I'm assuming for the sake of argument that God exists and is the source of our sense of good & evil. If he does and is then my point stands - there is no independent arrival at good and evi thus a person believing murder to be wrong is actually believing God - even though they don't believe in God. Thus is the objection raised, answered.

If he doesn't exist then of course the point doesn't stand.

This is Christian apologetics. Not Christian proof of anything.

The previous point made about not caring about your own mother's fate because she wouldn't be 'lovable' any more is just cold.

She would't exist anymore so there can be no talk of "she"

Your mother could have a mental illness tomorrow (hopefully not of course) that would make her unrecognisably bitter and twisted. It sounds like you'd throw her in a care home and never look back. Who needs an un-lovable mother anyway?

In the case of my Hell-abiding mother, it is her that choose the condition she is now in (went the argument up-thread). Her being stripped of goodness is a consequence of her decision w.r.t. God.

Her will would have been done, in other words...

What makes you think no sign would convince me?

It's just a hunch I have. I could be wrong.
    If God boomed his voice out from the sky, took us all on a trip to visit heaven and hell and caused, say, an earthquake which decimated everything and then put it all nicely back together, I'm sure a lot of people would believe.

You see there's two ways of getting your attention. Your way and God's way. But why should God condescend to doing things your way when He has already decisively revealed Himself in Jesus and performed many signs and wonders through Him? OK you weren't an eye witness but we have eye witness testimony of these things written down since the beginning. So unless you can show that somehow this testimony is unsound then it can be taken as sound, and if the implications of those reports are that there exists a supernatural God then so be it.
    Why should anyone believe the "sign" of the resurrection? It wasn't a sign because we didn't see it, we just heard about it in a book written hundreds of years ago.

Well the reports that somebody raised from the dead are either true or not true. And the only way to conclude either way is to accertain whether the reporters (the disciples) were lying about it or not. I've studied the records and read between the lines and I can find nothing to suggest that these disciples were doing anything other than telling what the experienced and saw with their own eyes. And not only that, but that they were happy to die shameful horrible deaths for this testimony to boot. That might sound like nothing as you read this but put yourself in their shoes. All you would have to do to put a stop to the torture and death that is coming your way is to deny Christ rose and ascended and was the Son of God. If you had made it all up as a lie then you knew it was a lie and there is no way that all of these disciples would willingly die these horrendous deaths for a lie that they knew was a lie. I might believe that they would do it for something that they believed was true but were simply mistaken about but these disciples claimed that they were eye witnesses to the resurrected Christ and died gruesome deaths because they would not renege on that testimony. To have paid that high a price for any testimony I think their accounts of what they said deserve a more than a fleeting glance.
    What should make me accept Christianity when there's no evidence and also a hundred other religions also claiming that they are the truth?

Study and research all the religions of the world and draw a conclusion based on that. Do a comparative religion course somewhere and mark the differences in each religion. You will find that out of all the respected founders of religion that Jesus was the only one who centered the religious experience in Himself. All the other leaders put the center of the religious experience outside of themselves. Jesus made claims about Himself that should belong in the funny land realm of religion and yet the world says of Him that it's OK to respect Him as a good and wise teacher but not as supernatural. If the claims He made are not true then He cannot be both good and wise. He could be good if He was an honest megalomaniac but not wise enough to know that His claims are not true. Or He could be wise enough to know His claims are not true but uses them to manipulate His followers which would mean that He is not honest and therefore not good. He is one or the other or if He's both then He is also supernatural. Give the Jews credit, they knew that no mortal man could make the claims Jesus made about Himself and called Him a blasphemer. They at least recognized that only God could claim the things Jesus went around claiming. And if Jesus was a fraud then they were right to have Him executed. But if the claims were true, then He is the Lord of Glory and we must deal with Him as such.
    What do you mean "why should all of us suffer because of the blindness of others?" How is it making you suffer if the "unworthy" souls are destroyed or sent somewhere else instead of kept in hell for eternity?

As it is we cannot force people to believe what we believe to be true but that shouldn't mean that we should side with them and suffer the same fate as them either.
    And why doesn't God just destroy the souls who aren't destined for heaven?

Again it is pretty foolish to think that God should condescend to doing this the way you would like Him to. Why should He? He wants faith from you and doesn't get it, so why should He give ear to any of your requests? If you don't like a God like that then that is your problem not His. He is not running a popularity contest and is not looking for friends. He is seeking out people who will simply trust Him with their lives so that He can save them from the destruction to come. Everybody is capable to grabbing onto this great news but only a few will, everyone else is going to fry, simple as. The question should not be: "How can you serve a God like that?" Rather it should be: "How can you not serve such a God who gave His only Son to die in your place, and to do it with joyfulness and gladness of heart?"
    If, after you die, it turns out that your belief in Christianity was mistaken and Islam was the true religion, will you be ok with the fact that you rot in hell for eternity for believing the wrong thing?

I'm content in knowing that what I believe is true. If Allah has a problem with me being truthful to myself then he can bite me. The God I serve judges the heart all the time and I'm sure there will be many Jews, Muslims and all sorts in heaven, even people who thought they were against Jesus because they apposed a corrupt church. God sees the heart and knows if you are being truthful to what you profess about yourself even if that profession is for atheism. What He will not tolerate is anyone who has been enlightened by the Gospel of Jesus Christ to willfully turn away from it or to simply reject in order to live a self centered existence. Folks like that are in much great danger of the fiery wrath than the poor unenlightened tribes living off grubs in the backside of nowhere who are true to their own beliefs and consciousness. God is a just God and will take your circumstances into account when you stand before Him to give account. But to the ones who have the light better make sure that they hold fast to it more and more each day as God will not be pleased with any of those who turn their backs on it or treated it as something cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

You're rather spectacularly missing the point. No-one goes to hell for 'believing the wrong thing'. You go to hell for sinning - for lying, cheating, stealing, being selfish etc.

If Islam is correct and I go to hell then I will receive exactly what I deserve, and I should have no complaints at all about that.

As it is I believe that the Christian Gospel offers me a totally undeserved opportunity to receive eternal life. And if I reject that offer then I receive exactly what my sins deserve.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

While I am certainly no theologian, I have always found hell (at least the traditional 'permanence' image of it) to be completely jarring and at odds with the message of Christianity.

We have a God that gave up His own life so that we might be saved, but when we die, He instantly retracts the offer, and sends us to hell no matter how much we would ask to be forgiven.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying we wouldn't deserve it. I'm saying it doesn't seem to be consistent.

If I ever did become a Christian, I would probably adopt a more considered approach to the doctrine of Hell.

• Advertisement

Morbert wrote: »
    While I am certainly no theologian, I have always found hell (at least the traditional 'permanence' image of it) to be completely jarring and at odds with the message of Christianity.

We have a God that gave up His own life so that we might be saved..

...from Hell
    .. but when we die, He instantly retracts the offer, and sends us to hell no matter how much we would ask to be forgiven.

The offer has a life-span. A best before date. We are enabled to make a choice regarding the offer and having done so to God's satisfaction there is no point in asking us to choose again.

To do so would be a little like being asked to vote on Lisbon a second time. Farcical.

And just to be clear, I'm not saying we wouldn't deserve it. I'm saying it doesn't seem to be consistent.

What do you think now?

If I ever did become a Christian, I would probably adopt a more considered approach to the doctrine of Hell.

It seems to fit pretty well together from where I'm sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

The offer has a life-span. A best before date.

I think that is the bit that Morbet is saying doesn't make sense.

I can go my entire life sinning my way through it and then, on my death bed, suddenly realize that God exists, he loves me, I was doing wrong by him, and accept his offer of salvation from his holy punishment.

But 2 seconds after I die, when I actually am standing in front of God and thus would realize if I hadn't already, that God exists, he loves me, I was doing wrong by him, I can't.

It seems a little odd.

But anyway, that is a bit off topic. For the purposes of this discussion about how Christians feel about hell, are we to take the above as a given? Or do some Christians believe you can actually do this after death?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

The offer has a life-span. A best before date. We are enabled to make a choice regarding the offer and having done so to God's satisfaction there is no point in asking us to choose again.

To do so would be a little like being asked to vote on Lisbon a second time. Farcical.

If that were the case then surely we would have all been sorted the minute we took a bite from the apple. Christianity seemed to be all about salvation despite bad choices in life. It seems odd that a God who cared enough to pour his entire being into saving us bad-choice-makers would so quickly retract His efforts.

The Bible is, I gather, silent on the issue. Better to deal with what is revealed than what isn't.

Genuine question

Is the Bible actually silent on the issue or does it simply not make any distinction between an adult and a child (and thus you could conclude children end up in hell along with everyone else?)

Is this idea that children don't sin Biblical, or is it a later interpretation?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

It seems to fit pretty well together from where I'm sitting.

I think it only truly fits if Johns description of it being 'The second death of which there is no resurrection' is what it is, and I don't see it as being anything else but what John so concisely describes.

The whole idea of living forever in torture or sufferings simply does not compute. This Christian believes it is what John says it is. An eternal death, of which no resurrection is possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,418 ✭✭✭JimiTime

If that were the case then surely we would have all been sorted the minute we took a bite from the apple. Christianity seemed to be all about salvation despite bad choices in life. It seems odd that a God who cared enough to pour his entire being into saving us bad-choice-makers would so quickly retract His efforts.

TBF, its over 2000 years and counting.

Wicknight wrote: »
    I think that is the bit that Morbet is saying doesn't make sense.

I can go my entire life sinning my way through it and then, on my death bed, suddenly realize that God exists, he loves me, I was doing wrong by him, and accept his offer of salvation from his holy punishment. But 2 seconds after I die, when I actually am standing in front of God and thus would realize if I hadn't already, that God exists, he loves me, I was doing wrong by him, I can't.

It seems a little odd.

I don't see much by way of choice involved in such a post-mortem conversion. It would be more a case of compulsion unto belief than the choice-based mechanism utilised by God in this life.

I know we disagree on a man being able to believe God without believing in God but at least we might agree that the post-mortem situation dissolves any possibility of choice.

But anyway, that is a bit off topic. For the purposes of this discussion about how Christians feel about hell, are we to take the above as a given? Or do some Christians believe you can actually do this after death?

I'm not aware of many Christians who believe in post-mortem conversion.

There's purgo of course, for those so inclined..

JimiTime wrote: »
    I think it only truly fits if Johns description of it being 'The second death of which there is no resurrection' is what it is, and I don't see it as being anything else but what John so concisely describes.

The whole idea of living forever in torture or sufferings simply does not compute. This Christian believes it is what John says it is. An eternal death, of which no resurrection is possible.

Do you also believe that fallen men are born dead too (the first death). Wouldn't this permit conscious death?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

We have a God that gave up His own life so that we might be saved, but when we die, He instantly retracts the offer, and sends us to hell no matter how much we would ask to be forgiven.

Hello Morbert, you might find answers to your questions in the work of Reginald Garrigou-Lagrange

http://www.catholictreasury.info/books/everlasting_life/index.php

See the chapters on final impenitence and immutability of the soul after death.

God bless,
    Noel.

• Advertisement

I don't see much by way of choice involved in such a post-mortem conversion. It would be more a case of compulsion unto belief than the choice-based mechanism utilised by God in this life.

I know we disagree on a man being able to believe God without believing in God but at least we might agree that the post-mortem situation dissolves any possibility of choice.

Not sure why?

When you are alive God send the Bible to you and says accept what this says about sin, accept you are a sinner and deserve punishment, accept that Jesus died for your sins, and you will be forgiven

When you are dead God says to you accept what I say about sin, accept that you are sinner and deserve punishment, accept that Jesus died for your sins, and you will be forgiven

What is the difference? You still choose to accept or not. Just when you are dead and see God before you you have more convincing reason to, but isn't that the point? Doesn't God want to convince you of these things?

Christians like to say that I go to hell because I choose to reject God.

Don't I actually have to believe he exists in the first place, and wouldn't this 2 seconds after I die meeting with God be the perfect time for when I choose to reject or accept what God is saying to me?

Advertisement