Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Areas to avoid?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

sure what other letting agency has there own bebo group :pac:

http://secure.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=7577815695

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

manus30 wrote: »
    op, dont go rushing in to renting in the city center. I know some posters say there is more to do in the city center, but there is actually more to do out the dunmore road area.
    plenty of pubs, tesco, next homebase, loads of restaurants, loads of stuff going on. much more to do and see than the city center, cheaper rental and you get a lot more for your rental money.
    the area is also very quiet with hardly any anti social behaviour. pubs have a more relaxed and friendly atmosphere.
    plenty of buses going anywhere you want and regularly too. wins hands down imo...

I know there are advantages to living out of town, but 'more to do' on the Dunmore rd., come on? You can't possibly compare what is on the Dunmore rd. to the city centre. Imo, it's pointless to live out the Dunmore rd. if you don't have a car, even though there are buses.

The rent is cheaper on the outskirts but not substantially so iirc. There's maybe 30 euro a month in the difference I reckon if you're comparing like with like. But daft will give a good indication anyway.

As for anti-social behaviour, the city centre is better than many of the estates on the outskirts because the age profile is older in the residential areas, so no roaming bands of kids. The Dunmore rd. would be one of the better areas on the outskirts however. Just the same, I know two guys living in Ardkeen village, one gets no hassle at all, another guy close by, because of where his house is positioned, is on to the cops every night of the week because scumbags from a neighbouring estate are vandalising his house and car on the way to get to where they're going. So you can be unlucky. In the city centre you'll get a few heads wandering around and it can get lonely at night, but I don't see that much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

Back 20 years ago when I was first married we bought a little do-er-upper in Andrew st. off Ballybricken and absolutely loved the area. Moved out to the 'burbs once the kids arrived but still sometimes wish I was in Ballybricken.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

merlante wrote: »
    As for anti-social behaviour, the city centre is better than many of the estates on the outskirts because the age profile is older in the residential areas, so no roaming bands of kids.....

..... In the city centre you'll get a few heads wandering around and it can get lonely at night, but I don't see that much trouble.

I dunno TBH, I've lived in a few city centre locations and I've never had the hassle where I live now (out the Dunmore Road; where I am in our estate, you could nearly be out in the middle of the country, it's that quiet and peaceful) that I did whilst in various places in town - house broken into and robbed, car vandalised on a number of occasions in different locations, drunks trying to kick your door in at 1am or just shambling past roaring their heads off and disturbing you, wheelie bins robbed or upturned or stuffed full of other people's rubbish, piss and/or vomit streaked down your door, cans/rubbish left on your windowsill etc.

All the joys of living in any citycentre, really. Haven't had any of this living in an estate TBH. Although I suppose some of this would be mitigated if you choose to live in an apartment block, and don't have any direct street frontage IYKWIM, then it's just down to whether or not your neighbours in the block are decent. Of course if you choose to go further out of the town (but not into the burbs proper, just out a little bit into some of the more central residential areas previously mentioned) this will also lessen any hassle you might have as there'd be less footfall from random assholes or drunks.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I will +1 everything said about book a room.

Avoid at all costs OP. BTW tc2010 that is all kinds of ilegal, there is no such thing as a random house check.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I wouldn't touch book a room or castle estates with a very very very long barge pole
    tc2010 wrote: »
    i woke up one morning and there was a person from bookaroom in my bedroom. i flipped out and said what the fook are you doing in my house? they said it was a random check and didnt realise i was at home

What they did was illegal, if they wanted access to the house you should have been informed before hand

Very dodgy

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

Ya 24 hours in advance iirc,

I think you are much better finding a owner occupied house to rent on daft. It hasn't done me wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

ziedth wrote: »
    Ya 24 hours in advance iirc,

I think you are much better finding a owner occupied house to rent on daft. It hasn't done me wrong.

Thanks, but definitely don't want to share with a stranger if it can be helped.

So anyone know anything about Maritana Gate beside the park? There was some attack there recently so is that typical?? Or what about Anne St.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

A friend of mine lived there for a few years, he loved it there.
    On the attcak by the park, its not a usual thing. It made headlines around the country because of the severity of the crime, so I wouldn't worry about it being a usual occurance down around that area.
    That area is, as far as I know, relatively quiet. The appartments are nice and you're about a 5 min walk away from the centre of the city. Couple of nice take aways around there too,lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭THall04

So anyone know anything about Maritana Gate beside the park? There was some attack there recently so is that typical?? Or what about Anne St.?

Anne St?? Tall apartment blocks overlooking other tall apartment blocks and an ugly multi-story carpark......no thanks.....unless you need to be near the train and bus stations or the tax office.

Maritana Gate....upmarket apartment complex....overlooking a lovely city centre park.....pub next door ,quite area ,less than 5 minute walk from city centre......I'd go for this one.

The recent attack in the park was pre-planned , not a random act , could have happened in a quite area anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 daisyholeR

+1 Stay away from bookaroom!
    Not very prompt in fixing any issues with flat/house and will do their best to hang on to your money for as long as possible or not give it back full stop. I had a few bad experiences with them when I lived in Railway Square, very unprofessional IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭tc2010

Ive heard from several landlords that they have had major hassle with BookaRoom aswell. its not just tenants.

A lot of houses on daft are from individuals rather then agents. in fact the last 3 houses ive been in have been individuals through daft.

bookaroom always tended to pop up in a conversation of why they rented out by themselves rather than through an agent.

i had one landlord who absolutely hated them with a passion. it was actually comical how much hatred he had for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

I looked at a room there a while ago, and while the building looks the part and is right next to the park and a few eateries, the apartment I looked at was very small. I've heard the same from others as well. At the time it was also overly expensive.

Still, for the right price, it could be a very good option.

Shame about that attack. As people have said, it was pre-planned and not a reflection of the normal state of affairs in the area. I'd have no problem walking through the park at night tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Big J

Cabaal wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch book a room or castle estates with a very very very long barge pole

I'm about to move and tomorrow will be looking at a house advertised on Daft with Book a Room and also with another agent. I've heard bad things about Book a Room before this thread so approached the other agent even though their price was higher (if they won't match the Book a Room advertised rent I'll go elsewhere - it's a tenants market at the moment).

Castle Estates - I'm currently with them. Given the franchise has had 3 owners in the last 5 years there is bound to be some variability. I've no issues with the present management - but we'll see come checkout day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Eroticplants

HEYA, so I'm moving down to Waterford soon for college and am moving into Manor Village.
    I know it's a student village and the apartments aren't meant to be the best BUT is it an ok area? Like... ya?
    Reading all this has kinda gotten me all jittery! :P :P
    Not really but would be nice to have my wits about me...
    Oh... wits... WIT... I'm so witty...
    IT JUST NEVER ENDS...
    Ok sorry... :P

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭clansman

I think daft.ie is grand. its only Book a Room you want to avoid. :pac:

thats also from personal experience
    daisyholeR wrote: »
    +1 Stay away from bookaroom!
    Not very prompt in fixing any issues with flat/house and will do their best to hang on to your money for as long as possible or not give it back full stop. I had a few bad experiences with them when I lived in Railway Square, very unprofessional IMO.

second that. Stay well away!!

We stayed in a house with bookaroom for only 4 weeks. We were waiting for another house to become available(from a different agent). We only got half our deposit back because they have to "clean" the house after us!
    You might think well maybe you did wreck the house...
    Well on the day we moved into the house we found a live bird in one of the rooms. Needless to say that the bird was there for a good few day as there was bird sh!t every where!! kitchen, living room..etc.. So bookaroom said sorry and that they will get professional cleaners to sort out things for free. I guessing now that we paid for the cleaners with the deposit...

they are some joke of a company...

HEYA, so I'm moving down to Waterford soon for college and am moving into Manor Village.
    I know it's a student village and the apartments aren't meant to be the best BUT is it an ok area? Like... ya?
    IT JUST NEVER ENDS...

In my experience it's grand, just keep sharp like you would in any city centre. Don't walk home alone after a night out and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Keea

There's a lovely little estate called 'College Court' which has about 40 houses - some owner ocupied and some rented. It's walking distance to city centre, tesco poleberry, nightlife etc (off ballytruckle road) but tucked away nicely from road so you don't have any passers-by. In fact, alot of people dont even know its there, its such a private location. Houses are semi-detached with gardens. I just did a quick google search and came across this one to let. It's probably a bit bigger than you are looking for but I know there is 3 bed semi's to let from time to time here also.

http://www.rent.ie/houses-to-let/College-Court-Waterford-City-Co-Waterford/849875/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

IT JUST NEVER ENDS...

Ya, you'll be fine. Take it easy with the coffee though will ya?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

deisedevil wrote: »
    Ya, you'll be fine. Take it easy with the coffee though will ya?

and sugar, coke and ahh all the other stuff.. :D

back on topic:

If you're looking for a small house have a look over in Poleberry, lots of small houses there, ex council
    and have been renovated, some to a good standard, most have back gardens and 10 mins walk to the
    city centre, Tesco around the corner and away from the crowds and noise..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭Hoffmans

I think daft.ie is grand. its only Buk a Roo you want to avoid. :pac:

thats also from personal experience

double that, rents have supposedly dropped by 30%
    but not with dodgy letting agencys trying to prop up the prices of an already over supplied market.
    according to the daft theres 475 empty houses and apartments this week in the town....

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭Waterford26

I have a bad experience with book a room agency too. Manor properties or Property Partners(tramore) are perfect! I'v just move up to Ardkeen..does anybody know what bus does Ardkeen-WIT(or Lisduggan tesco) route? ..if any :o ..cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

I have a bad experience with book a room agency too. Manor properties or Property Partners(tramore) are perfect! I'v just move up to Ardkeen..does anybody know what bus does Ardkeen-WIT(or Lisduggan tesco) route? ..if any :o ..cheers

I think the number 5 goes up by ardkeen.

I can't remember the Lisduggan bus number but it goes by the route starting at the Quay, turns up Thomas Street, up the Glen into Ballybricken, up lower Yellow Road turning left into Morrisons Road, turns right to Cannon Street, then goes through Lisduggan via Arbor Road, then left down Paddy Browns Road stopping for 5 minutes at the Tesco. It goes all the way down to the Cork Road stopping at the WIT and follows the Cork Road into town via a detour into Kingsmeadow then back on Manor road, Parnell St, The Mall and back onto the Quay.

so two buses?..first from Ardkeen down to the Quay and than take another one from Quay to lisduggan? OMG.. thought its straight one from ardkeen to wit or lisdugg. ;( .. thanks for reply anyway

No there def isn't. It's a fair slog a mate of mine lived out there gotta give yourself 40min to get to college

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm 99% sure the bus that goes from Ardkeen goes out to Lismore Park which is basically the WIT. It always did up to a year or two ago anyway. Think it was the number 5.

thanks lads.. will do the 'test spin' with No.5 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Patari

waterford

• Registered Users Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭200motels

I'd go for the Dunmore road Farmleigh is one of the nicest areas on that road but most of them are good, I'm from Lisduggan but don't live there now but I'd stay away from from most of that area, nothing really wrong with most of the people who live there but the odd scumbag, but the Dunmore road is the one to go for, it's not perfect by any means but a good place to live.

• Advertisement

I think you might actually be right Niall,

I seem to remember the no 5 passing tesco.

Advertisement