Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aslan

Options
  • 02-04-2010 9:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭

Anyone else here a fan? I love them, listen to them constantly!

Can't wait for a new album from them! :D

If you're not a fan or are coming in here to put them down, GTFO i dont care if you dont like them!

Anyone go to the gig on Paddys eve?

Loved that they played Loving Me Lately and Rainman!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My friend has two free tickets to see them tomorrow night in the TF in Castlebar. He doesn't like them so he is trying to get rid of them, no one will take them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Powder_Keg

Yes I was at the Paddys eve gig, they were great and I was in Athy last night, brilliant.

Very underrated, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭kenon

Powder_Keg wrote: »
    Yes I was at the Paddys eve gig, they were great and I was in Athy last night, brilliant.

Very underrated, I think.
    Is that you Christy?

5/6 a side football

Coolmine Sports Centre - Wednesdays - 8pm

PM me for a game

Thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

I used to love these guys years ago as a teenager. Me and a large group of my friends used to go see them live several, several times a year (which made us the epitome of cool of course!) I think I've somewhat grown out of them by now but in fairness to them, they do a great live set and Christy has a real stage presence. I think their best gig I was at was 'An intimate evening with Aslan' at the Point on a New Year's Eve. Could never stand that baldy guitarist though and his sleazy ways, that dude must have snogged half my hometown :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

neil_18_ wrote: »
    If you're not a fan or are coming in here to put them down, GTFO i dont care if you dont like them!

Dead right mate, I'm so sick of people knocking Aslan, they're class. People are getting too big for their boots and they slag everything that's Irish just because it's cool to slag Irish talent, well Aslan are a super band and I'm not afraid to say it. I think their more recent material is badly overlooked, even by fans of the band. Crazy World is deadly and all, but She's So Beautiful is probably the best Irish song penned in the last 15 years. It's so catchy and yet so heartfelt at the same time, I can relate to it so much (see below). I can't wait to catch the guys live again, they always put in an awesome live show, doing the actions to the songs and all...

"When I scream it gives me back my sanity
    Everything that's real is not reality"
    - She's So Beautiful : Best Irish Song Ever?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Dead right mate, I'm so sick of people knocking Aslan, they're class. People are getting too big for their boots and they slag everything that's Irish just because it's cool to slag Irish talent
    I don't think it says anywhere on the charter that you must only post positive things about a band because the opening poster says so.
    I dislike them not because they're Irish, or to be cool, but because I don't like the sound of anything I've heard by them... apart from This Is, which is quite a good song in my opinion.

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't think it says anywhere on the charter that you must only post positive things about a band because the opening poster says so.
    I dislike them not because they're Irish, or to be cool, but because I don't like the sound of anything I've heard by them... apart from This Is, which is quite a good song in my opinion.

Ah you should give She's So Beautiful a spin so, way stylier than This Is in my humble opinion. As far as your opinion goes, say what you like, I was just endorsing the OP's suggestion that people who just want to knock the band don't bother posting here as he (and I) don't care if they hate Aslan (who are clearly deadly). By all means say your piece if you feel the need, It's alright yeah, it's alright. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

Dead right mate, I'm so sick of people knocking Aslan, they're class. People are getting too big for their boots and they slag everything that's Irish just because it's cool to slag Irish talent, well Aslan are a super band and I'm not afraid to say it. I think their more recent material is badly overlooked, even by fans of the band. Crazy World is deadly and all, but She's So Beautiful is probably the best QUOTE]

Havr to agree with this. Songs like these are pure class :

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭MissHoneyBun

I dislike them not because they're Irish, or to be cool

...but to stir sh1t with people who clearly do like them and start arguments about charters for no fcuking reason. Trolling in other words.

I think what you're saying is true Golden Tickets. A lot of people in this country don't want to know about music unless it's Saturday night Fake Factor

As far as your opinion goes, say what you like, I was just endorsing the OP's suggestion that people who just want to knock the band don't bother posting here as he (and I) don't care if they hate Aslan (who are clearly deadly). By all means say your piece if you feel the need, It's alright yeah, it's alright. :)
    Thank you. You can obviously understand that when you say stuff like "People are getting too big for their boots and they slag everything that's Irish just because it's cool to slag Irish talent" well, other members are free to contradict that if it's untrue, this being a public message-board and all that. It's obviously not trolling or stirring sh1t.

And if an act is being discussed, nobody can stop people posting critical comments about them - that's what a discussion is. Once people aren't abusive and don't belittle others for their tastes, and generally stay within the charter boundaries, it shouldn't be seen as a problem and they should be able to say what they like without being harassed. "Let's only say nice things/bad things about x" threads would be just boring.

Consider the reverse: imagine if people were told to "GTFO" if they wanted to say positive things about The Coronas on that other thread?

• Advertisement

Thank you. You can obviously understand that when you say stuff like "People are getting too big for their boots and they slag everything that's Irish just because it's cool to slag Irish talent" well, other members are free to contradict that if it's untrue, this being a public message-board and all that.

No, I wouldn't say that. I would say that other members are free to contradict that if "they believe it to be untrue". For another member to brand someone's opinion as untrue because they disagree with it is no better than any of the other behaviour you consider dismissive.

Also, to say I can "obviously understand" before you state your opinion only serves to put words in my mouth which isn't really fair either. If I agree with an opinion that is expressed here I will say so after I hear that opinion, not before.

I support the OP's suggestion that those who would just use this thread to bash Aslan should GTFO, who needs another thread bashing an easy target? I don't expect those people to actually restrain themselves and keep their bile off the thread, but I'm free to suggest it or second a motion suggesting it if I want to, "this being a public message-board and all that".

Anyway, I think this thread has been taken far enough off topic at this stage so let me try to get things back where they should be... Aslan are class! :)

No, I wouldn't say that. I would say that other members are free to contradict that if "they believe it to be untrue". For another member to brand someone's opinion as untrue because they disagree with it is no better than any of the other behaviour you consider dismissive.
    "People only dislike x because it's cool to do so" is not a subjective opinion, it is a presumption which is either a fact or it isn't. It 100% does not apply in my case, and I'm hardly alone. I'd be surprised if the vast majority of adults didn't have their own minds and were dictated to according to what they deem "cool".
    Also, to say I can "obviously understand" before you state your opinion only serves to put words in my mouth which isn't really fair either. If I agree with an opinion that is expressed here I will say so after I hear that opinion, not before.
    Oh I was referring to your last post, in which you appeared to display understanding of my position on my first post to this thread.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Switch off the musical snobbery and just enjoy Aslan for what they are. Which is a really fun, honest live band who has written some of the better songs in Irish music.

Sweet Jesus on his fucking cross - it's not music snobbery, it's just simply disliking the band's sound! :mad:

Weirdly enough, if a person said they didn't like the sound of Joy Division, it wouldn't be considered music snobbery - yet it's exactly the same thing: a dislike of the band's sound...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The Vicar Street album is superb imo.

Sweet Jesus on his fucking cross - it's not music snobbery, it's just simply disliking the band's sound! :mad:

Weirdly enough, if a person said they didn't like the sound of Joy Division, it wouldn't be considered music snobbery - yet it's exactly the same thing: a dislike of the band's sound...

Why do you dislike their sound? Why are making vague negative comments about a band in a thread about them is another question? No one will ever claim that they reinvented the wheel or that they are the greatest band ever just that they are a really fun and hard working band.

rovert wrote: »
    Why do you dislike their sound?
    Why do you dislike the sound of any band you dislike? I find their sound dull - that is my opinion which I can't help. It's not a choice. It's not my kinda thing, in the way a lot of country music isn't my thing (but I find an exception in nearly everything). Why aren't you asking every single person here who dislikes a particular band why they dislike them?

And yeah I barely posted anything criticising them, so you're right - vague it is. The OP comes along and invites discussion but says "GTFO" to anyone who might post something he doesn't like reading - all I said was he doesn't have the right to dictate like that. Where I attacked Aslan... oh yeah, I didn't. I actually mentioned a song of theirs I like. The sooner this ****ing place gets some active moderation...
    No one will ever claim that they reinvented the wheel or that they are the greatest band ever
    Was anyone asked to? Is anyone expecting them to fulfil the above criteria?
    just that they are a really fun and hard working band.
    Oh so therefore people HAVE to like them - even if they don't, they must pretend. Or else they're music snobs. Tell you what: I'll force myself to like them.

Dullard calling something dull lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 431 ✭✭punkindrublic

here here.
    & I also think Aslan are awful too.

Dullard calling something dull lol
    Oh I see... "I can't come up with a response so I'll resort to personal abuse of someone I don't know" - sparkling of you! ;)

• Advertisement

here here.
    & I also think Aslan are awful too.
    Oh I see... "I can't come up with a response so I'll resort to personal abuse of someone I don't know" - sparkling of you! ;)

How can I respond to such a cerebral appraisals of their music?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

If you want to go to a message board where there is no other discussion other than how great a band are, then go to the bands official forum.
    Dudess saying that she doesn't like their sound is fair, even if it's vague.

mars bar wrote: »
    If you want to go to a message board where there is no other discussion other than how great a band are, then go to the bands official forum.
    Dudess saying that she doesn't like their sound is fair, even if it's vague.

Doesnt add much to the discussion is the issue. Like or dislike but have a reasonably constructed reason why. It is a much better alternative to posting "dull" and "awful" which adds little to the discussion.

It's vague because I'm not "allowed" to be critical.
    How can I respond to such a cerebral appraisals of their music?
    Personal abuse - check
    Random, unrelated comment in response to something - check

You're ticking all the boxes on your way to being just swell. :)

You're also changing your tune - while you feel the need for detailed critiques now, a while ago you asked that people not be music snobs. Which is it? :confused:

It's vague because I'm not "allowed" to be critical.

Personal abuse - check
    Random, unrelated comment in response to something - check

You're ticking all the boxes on your way to being just swell. :)

You're also changing your tune - while you feel the need for detailed critiques now, a while ago you asked that people not be music snobs. Which is it? :confused:

Loving all the strawmen and weird conclusions you are drawing here.

Having a reasoned opinion doesnt make you a muscial snob.

You taking the topic off topic - check

Id rather have this thread to talk about Aslan that listen to your dull slabber.

So guys what is your favourite track of Uncased?

Having a reasoned opinion doesnt make you a muscial snob.
    Grand so, thank you for confirming I'm not a musical snob - and realising how retarded it is to call people musical snobs for simply being of the opinion that something is not good. :)
    You taking the topic off topic - check
    As are you. :)
    Id rather have this thread to talk about Aslan that listen to your dull slabber.
    That's it, keep on moving those goalposts - back and forth, back and forth... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭doughef

Hi

Just throwing my 2 cent in here.

I think Aslan are class.. great music and a great hard working band, some really class songs. Should have been huge although their personal problems got in the way.

I had the pleasure of playing before them a few times and they are lovely fellas.
    The only downside is that they do draw a bit of a rough crowd to their gigs,,

Grand so, thank you for confirming I'm not a musical snob - and realising how retarded it is to call people musical snobs for simply being of the opinion that something is not good. :)

As are you. :)

That's it, keep on moving those goalposts - back and forth, back and forth... :)

Again with the strawmen and bizarre conclusions.

Please stop.

"I'll pretend I'm baffled by her interpretations as I can't come up with a response" - check

You're super you are!

• Advertisement

Dudess, you've completely derailed this thread, presumably there's something in the charter about that too? I think if you want to have this argument you should start a new thread on it somewhere else on boards. So you don't agree with something that somebody said here, don't take it so personally and don't let it completely destroy what was a fair enough idea for a thread to begin with.

If you come onto threads looking to be offended you'll rarely be disappointed, if you take them at face value you'll more than likely find that nobody was trying to offend you in the first place.

Advertisement