Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland & tolerance of Christianity vs tolerance of other spiritual choices

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

axer wrote: »
    Ok, sorry, thought you were looking for some possible reasons instead of just empathy.

You should pop over to the atheist & agnostics forum where you will find a few christians knocking about. Its good to debate and hear from the other side since it is better to try and understand where the other side is coming from to live in peace with them.

Well I suppose my asking for reasons was more rhetorical than literal, although I am interested in the opinions of non-Christians. I have visited A&A a few times but would find it futile, mainly because others would naturally expect a Catholic's opinions to be the same as the official line of the Catholic Church, which is not the case with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

We have had the Horus debate many times before - use the search function. Frankly, the evidence is less than compelling; it's nothing more than misinformation and half-truths - much like some of your other claims about Christianity that you have needlessly brought into this debate.
    Sure, in your opinion. My point was that christianity takes names and festive periods and makes them their own so why can non-christians take the name of the day and make it a party instead especially when our law calls it the same name.
    It's all about you. Poor diddums! Have you ever thought about the rest of us non-Catholic Christians? I don't want to send my kids to a RC school, nor do I want to be denied the option of having a drink of Good Friday.
    Good for you. Lets join the fight to have these ridiculus things changed and create a secular society in Ireland where people are free to believe or not believe without interference from others.
    Yet unlike you, I don't feel the need to speak for anybody else or make childish threats.
    Not sure where you are getting this from. I am speaking for myself and trying to give the OP some insight into the way his friends might be thinking.
    Ironic that you would accuse Christians of such a thing after you have displayed a large degree of ignorance in your last post. Read the charter. No more generalizations.
    Ok, buddy.
    No, you're not telling it how it is, you are informing us of your opinion. There is a difference.
    I am informing how I see it will be. Of course it is opinion since I am semi speaking hypothetically since I do not know the OPs friends.
    I have visited A&A a few times but would find it futile, mainly because others would naturally expect a Catholic's opinions to be the same as the official line of the Catholic Church, which is not the case with me.

Micilin Muc, why would you call yourself a Catholic if you do not believe the entire Catholic religion? Why not call yourself a Christian or just spiritual instead and come to your own conclusions instead of following a specific dogma?
    By calling yourself Catholic you are suggesting that you follow the Catholic church's teachings which is why people are prejudging your beliefs to that accord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

axer wrote: »
    Micilin Muc, I cannot see why there would be offence in calling a party a good friday party. As mehfesto posted, they wouldn't have to have it if it weren't for the forced religious law in this country.

Us atheists will leave ye christians/catholics alone as soon as ye stop interfering with our lives be it with religious law,education system, legal system and so on.

So until our lack of belief is respected why should we respect your beliefs?

the education system you refer to, down here in limerick there are a number of religious orders that gave up there own buildings in order for schools to be opened in them so would you rather that these orders take back there buildings and close down the school because it interfers with atheists beliefs? i for one am greatful for this as i would had to travel very far on foot every morning if the redemptorists didnt let us use there building and surrounding grounds and were also nice enough to let us use the church for various plays and activities ( that non-christian students took part in and enjoyed) and also when your on about the education system and religion if your reffereing to religion being thought in school, if a student does not want to take part in the class he does not have to I know this because there were a number of students of different faiths in my class that did not take part ( inlcuding an orthodox christian who did not want to learn about other faiths because religion being thought in schools these days is not just christianty it deals with every religion and not just religion but it teaches about morals and deals with things like drug abuse and abortion and various other things that are valid in todays society) obviously you have not been to school for a very long time, I left last year so you can trust me on this! so atheists that go on about the education system ye would want to educate yourselves on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

the education system you refer to, down here in limerick there are a number of religious orders that gave up there own buildings in order for schools to be opened in them so would you rather that these orders take back there buildings and close down the school because it interfers with atheists beliefs? i for one am greatful for this as i would had to travel very far on foot every morning if the redemptorists didnt let us use there building and surrounding grounds and were also nice enough to let us use the church for various plays and activities ( that non-christian students took part in and enjoyed) and also when your on about the education system and religion if your reffereing to religion being thought in school, if a student does not want to take part in the class he does not have to I know this because there were a number of students of different faiths in my class that did not take part ( inlcuding an orthodox christian who did not want to learn about other faiths because religion being thought in schools these days is not just christianty it deals with every religion and not just religion but it teaches about morals and deals with things like drug abuse and abortion and various other things that are valid in todays society) obviously you have not been to school for a very long time, I left last year so you can trust me on this! so atheists that go on about the education system ye would want to educate yourselves on it!
    I think it is worse in the primary school system where it actually matters. That is the time when religious orders try to brainwash children as they are easy targets. Those schools should no longer be funded by the goverment and new secular schools should be established to replace them.

I think when children go to secondary schools they have a greater ability to think for themselves but the only problem is that the majority of them have already been through a catholic primary school where they were thought 2+2=4 followed by another "fact" that god exists. Do not under estimate the effect this has on a childs permeable mind. How are they suppose to distingush between what is fact and what is mere belief?

You don't need religion to have "good" morals. Morality is something children will pick up from their parents and peers.

Advertisement