Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland & tolerance of Christianity vs tolerance of other spiritual choices

Options
  • 02-04-2010 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭

I believe I show respect and tolerance for the spiritual choices of other people. Most of my friends show respect and tolerance for Muslims, Jews, atheists and agnostics and any other spiritual choices that someone may make.

Why is it that my friends don't show me the same respect because I am a Christian? The disrespect my non-Christian friends show to me and other Christians on Good Friday is sickening, and the only reason they seem to do it is for fun.

Am I alone?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Xluna

How do they disrespect you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Herbal Deity

In the last census, in 2006, about 90% of people at least claimed to be Christian.

That figure is either hugely distorted, or Ireland is more tolerant of Christianity than any other belief.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Political correctness rarely extends to anything that is perceived, rightly or not, as being the majority or in a position of power.

That is why you can crack jokes about white people yet would lose your job if you made the same comments about black people. It is why in the UK Scottish, Welsh or Irish nationalism is considered cool - but English nationalism is automatically equated with fascism.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Some of my friends have made jokes on Facebook about Jesus.

Others have sniggered when I declined their offer of attending a house party tonight.

This week they have made comments about my beliefs (my belief in Jesus Christ and his resurrection) and said that the crucifixion never happened.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

Others have sniggered when I declined their offer of attending a house party tonight.

This week they have made comments about my beliefs (my belief in Jesus Christ and his resurrection) and said that the crucifixion never happened.

A lot of it is rebelling against their childhood and lets face what has been in the news.

• Advertisement

rovert wrote: »
    A lot of it is rebelling against their childhood and lets face what has been in the news.

I agree with both of these points.

Is the Good Friday rebellion party something people in their 30s or 40s do, or is it just people in their 20s? I don't believe any of my parents' friends would do the same.

For the record, I have no problem with any of my non-Christian friends drinking today, but it's when they label the party as a Good Friday party that I take issue with it. If they don't believe in Good Friday, then why do they call it a Good Friday party?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭mehfesto

I agree with both of these points.

Is the Good Friday rebellion party something people in their 30s or 40s do, or is it just people in their 20s? I don't believe any of my parents' friends would do the same.

For the record, I have no problem with any of my non-Christian friends drinking today, but it's when they label the party as a Good Friday party that I take issue with it. If they don't believe in Good Friday, then why do they call it a Good Friday party?!

it is a religious day, but everyone in Ireland, Christian or not know it's goo Friday, as the numbers o shops closed today will show.

But why worry? They wouldn't have a good Friday party if the pubs weren't open on a bank holiday (or whatever it officially is). They don't believe you do, they not actually forcin you to do anything or live a certain way, so get over it.

It's not that big a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭jkl

Perhaps they're not really friends?

mehfesto wrote: »
    it is a religious day, but everyone in Ireland, Christian or not know it's goo Friday, as the numbers o shops closed today will show.

But why worry? They wouldn't have a good Friday party if the pubs weren't open on a bank holiday (or whatever it officially is). They don't believe you do, they not actually forcin you to do anything or live a certain way, so get over it.

It's not that big a deal.

To me it is a big deal. My friends don't show me the same respect I afford them in their beliefs. My belief is a very personal thing, and they don't respect it.
    jkl wrote: »
    Perhaps they're not really friends?

Nobody's friends please each other 100% of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Micilin Muc, I cannot see why there would be offence in calling a party a good friday party. As mehfesto posted, they wouldn't have to have it if it weren't for the forced religious law in this country.

Us atheists will leave ye christians/catholics alone as soon as ye stop interfering with our lives be it with religious law, education system, legal system and so on.

So until our lack of belief is respected why should we respect your beliefs?

• Advertisement

axer wrote: »
    Micilin Muc, I cannot see why there would be offence in calling a party a good friday party. As mehfesto posted, they wouldn't have to have it if it weren't for the forced religious law in this country.

Good Friday is nothing do with someone who doesn't believe in Christianity. If I had a whole lot of Muslim friends, I wouldn't organise a party during Ramadan and call it a Ramadan Party. That would be disrespectful to my friends.
    Us atheists will leave ye christians/catholics alone as soon as ye stop interfering with our lives be it with religious law, education system, legal system and so on.

I said in my OP that I do leave my non-Christian friends alone.

• I believe the off licences and pubs should be open on Good Friday to whoever wants to use them.
    • I believe parents should have the right to an education that doesn't force a religion upon them.
    • I believe the legal system should cater for other beliefs apart from those of Christians.

My beliefs as above do respect the beliefs of my friends. Why shouldn't they respect my belief in Jesus and my customs at Easter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,686 ✭✭✭✭PDN

Good Friday is nothing do with someone who doesn't believe in Christianity. If I had a whole lot of Muslim friends, I wouldn't organise a party during Ramadan and call it a Ramadan Party. That would be disrespectful to my friends.

Good point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭hivizman

In fact, the fast runs only between sunrise and sunset, so if you call your party a "Ramadan Iftar", hold it between the sunset and evening prayers, and don't serve alcohol, you wouldn't be disrespectful. Ramadan for many Muslims can be the party month. Just don't have a lunch party. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

MM you are truly blessed, Luke:6:28 ''Bless them that curse you, and pray for them that calumniate you.''

I invite you to Read the sermon on the mount and rejoice and be glad.

Pax Christi
    Stephen <3

If it has nothing to do with non-christians then why are the pubs around the country forced to close today?

Today under Irish law is good friday so your friends are using the legal name for this day and adding party to the end of it[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif] because they are having a party.[/FONT]

Its like having a st. paddys day party without believing the story of st. patrick which is done all over the world.

Its like christians stealing a festival from pagans and renaming it and calling it there own even though it had nothing to do with them.

Its like christians stealing the story of a man named Horus renaming him and stealing him to be their leader even though he had nothing to do with them.
    I said in my OP that I do leave my non-Christian friends alone.
    • I believe the off licences and pubs should be open on Good Friday to whoever wants to use them.
    • I believe parents should have the right to an education that doesn't force a religion upon them.
    • I believe the legal system should cater for other beliefs apart from those of Christians.

Thats all great but your religious masters don't agree and neither do the majority of your christian comrades.
    My beliefs as above do respect the beliefs of my friends. Why shouldn't they respect my belief in Jesus and my customs at Easter?
    Until christians show athieists respect then christians are going to be laughed at for their beliefs based on the story a few people (possibly only two people) wrote a 1 or 2 thousand years ago.

I have no problem with people believing what they want as long their religion does not interfere with my life but for now it does affect non-christians lives so respect for your beliefs is not something to expect from us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭ToniTuddle

Just a thought but....have you mentioned how you feel about it?

Like have you actually tried saying to them

"Lads/Ladies seriously I'm not being funny here but these are my beliefs so would you mind not taking the mick as it's kinda hurtful"

Something as plain, simple, to the point and said in a civilised tone as that should shut them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

OP: My friends used to make jokes about the Crucifixion and the like around me. Over time this has stopped, after people have noticed that I don't get offended about it and that my Christianity actually is important to me.

Try not let it get to you, but at the same time don't deny your faith before them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Muslims don't enforce Ramadan on us. They're happy enough to practice that in a secular manner unlike the way your practices are foisted on us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

If some of you want to get annoyed put terms like "Good Friday" , "God", "meat" etc into twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

Isn't it wonderful?

Blessed are you when people reproach you, persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, for my sake. (Mat 5:11)

Looks like you are lucky (well, almost - as it's still persecution that you are missing)!

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

If it has nothing to do with non-christians then why are the pubs around the country forced to close today?

Today under Irish law is good friday so your friends are using the legal name for this day and adding party to the end of it[FONT=verdana,geneva,lucida,'lucida grande',arial,helvetica,sans-serif] because they are having a party.[/FONT]

Its like having a st. paddys day party without believing the story of st. patrick which is done all over the world.

Its like christians stealing a festival from pagans and renaming it and calling it there own even though it had nothing to do with them.

Its like christians stealing the story of a man named Horus renaming him and stealing him to be their leader even though he had nothing to do with them.

[/LIST]
    Thats all great but your religious masters don't agree and neither do the majority of your christian comrades.

Until christians show athieists respect then christians are going to be laughed at for their beliefs based on the story a few people (possibly only two people) wrote a 1 or 2 thousand years ago.

I have no problem with people believing what they want as long their religion does not interfere with my life but for now it does affect non-christians lives so respect for your beliefs is not something to expect from us.

Before you start mouthing off about Horus and the like you better get you facts straight, buddy. It might do you good to step back from the anger that fuels your posts. I'm quite intolerant of bigots whatever their bent.

Anyway I think it is tempting for Christians to play the "persecuted card" (not saying it is the case here). I guess it is natural given the shift of societal outlooks from Christian to largely post-Christian. I believe that this is something we have to be cautious about. Maybe the OP simply needs to have a gentle word with friends if they have crossed the line. It is very possible that they don't mean anything by it.

Before you start mouthing off about Horus and the like you better get you facts straight, buddy. It might do you good to step back from the anger that fuels your posts.
    No anger in my posts. Just trying to explain to the OP where his friends might be coming from if they are non-believers - I believe that is what the OP is wanting to know. (oh and by the way there are a huge number of co-incidental similarities between Horus and Jesus - a bit too co-incidental imo).
    I'm quite intolerant of bigots whatever their bent.
    Good for you - don't know what that has got to do with me since what I believe is not being forced upon you by law. I am open to other ideas (if they are based on any proper evidence) whereas religious people tend not to be.
    Anyway I think it is tempting for Christians to play the "persecuted card" (not saying it is the case here). I guess it is natural given the shift of societal outlooks from Christian to largely post-Christian. I believe that this is something we have to be cautious about. Maybe the OP simply needs to have a gentle word with friends if they have crossed the line. It is very possible that they don't mean anything by it.
    With all due respect his friends will probably laugh at him for being offended and think he is a fundamentalist christian. Just telling it as it is.

With all due respect his friends will probably laugh at him for being offended and think he is a fundamentalist christian. Just telling it as it is.

If his friends laugh at him when he tries to get his point across that it has hurt him then they are not good friends.
    Hopefully he can take a joke same as the rest of us. I've got a gang of mates that regularly rip apart the Christian faith.

If he knows what they are like then he should avoid them on days such as this. Or try and explain about how it is his beliefs and that's not going to change so if they wouldn't mind easing up a bit when he is around.

That's fair enough to ask.

Just trying to explain to the OP where his friends might be coming from if they are non-believers - I believe that is what the OP is wanting to know.

You're right. But I suppose what exactly I am trying to find out is is where their lack of respect for my beliefs (not those of other Christians) come from.
    With all due respect his friends will probably laugh at him for being offended and think he is a fundamentalist christian.

I would seriously doubt that. I'm by no means a fundamentalist. There are plenty of things in scripture and other expectations of Catholics that I do not agree with and do not abide by.

You're right. But I suppose what exactly I am trying to find out is is where their lack of respect for my beliefs (not those of other Christians) come from.
    It is probably by describing yourself as a christian people equate you to other christians and their beliefs. They probably don't see your beliefs as your own - but more like beliefs that were thought to you (like were thought to all children in Ireland). Like if you were born in pakistan you would probably be a muslim - get my point? So maybe that is why they don't take your beliefs seriously and think you won't be offended by their jokes etc.
    I would seriously doubt that. I'm by no means a fundamentalist. There are plenty of things in scripture and other expectations of Catholics that I do not agree with and do not abide by.
    I believe you but I was making the point that they might think you are a fundamentalist because you get offended by something like calling a party a "Good Friday Party".

Thanks for the helpful suggestions, ie not let my friends get to me and to ask them to ease off.

BTW, this is my first time in the Christianity forum and I am surprised at the amount of non-Christians in it, quite ironic! I was only looking for advice from people who would empathise with me!

BTW, this is my first time in the Christianity forum and I am surprised at the amount of non-Christians in it, quite ironic! I was only looking for advice from people who would empathise with me!
    Ok, sorry, thought you were looking for some possible reasons instead of just empathy.

You should pop over to the atheist & agnostics forum where you will find a few christians knocking about. Its good to debate and hear from the other side since it is better to try and understand where the other side is coming from to live in peace with them.

Its good to debate and hear from the other side since it is better to try and understand where the other side is coming from to live in peace with them.

All religions should listen to this part of what you are saying! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

Amen to that. Shame the Christians who run the country have decided to stop many non-Christians from doing as we please on this day. How much respect is that showing? That disrespect actually has practical repurcussions, as opposed to the repurcussions you are feeling that stem simply from your own personal sense of being slighted by your friends going partying. Why dont you just 'turn the other cheek'?

And calling it a Good Friday party is surely just a matter of nomenclature. The state has called the day Good Friday. If it was called Bank Holiday Friday, perhaps it would be a Bank Holiday Friday Party?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

No anger in my posts. Just trying to explain to the OP where his friends might be coming from if they are non-believers - I believe that is what the OP is wanting to know. (oh and by the way there are a huge number of co-incidental similarities between Horus and Jesus - a bit too co-incidental imo).

We have had the Horus debate many times before - use the search function. Frankly, the evidence is less than compelling; it's nothing more than misinformation and half-truths - much like some of your other claims about Christianity that you have needlessly brought into this debate.
    Good for you - don't know what that has got to do with me since what I believe is not being forced upon you by law.

It's all about you. Poor diddums! Have you ever thought about the rest of us non-Catholic Christians? I don't want to send my kids to a RC school, nor do I want to be denied the option of having a drink of Good Friday. Yet unlike you, I don't feel the need to speak for anybody else or make childish threats.
    I am open to other ideas (if they are based on any proper evidence) whereas religious people tend not to be.

Ironic that you would accuse Christians of such a thing after you have displayed a large degree of ignorance in your last post. Read the charter. No more generalizations.

No, you're not telling it how it is, you are informing us of your opinion. There is a difference.

Advertisement