Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P JC Savage

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

As someone who was born and raised in Swords, worked in JC's and lived a stones throw from the shop and JC's house - this is a sad time -in fact an unbelivable time - its hard to picture JC gone . A few facts are called for though -

1- JC is prounced Jaayse by locals not Jayseeee (the see is quick - emphasis on the jay not the see)

2- The chipper was called "All Stars" with American Football the theme . "Jimmy's" was the newsagents .

While I'm at it -please note that locals refer to going to "the town" or the Main St. NEVER "the village" . Swords has always had a court and is therefore a town by definition as well as custom.

• Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Reposing at his home Today (Sunday) from 3 - 8 o'c. Removal on Monday morning to St. Colmcille's Church, Swords for 11 o'c. Mass. Followed by Funeral to adjoining cemetery. No flowers please, donations if desired to a charity of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

sffc wrote: »
    While I'm at it -please note that locals refer to going to "the town" or the Main St. NEVER "the village" . Swords has always had a court and is therefore a town by definition as well as custom.

Going "down the town". People saying village drives me nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Larianne wrote: »
    Going "down the town". People saying village drives me nuts!

'Town' is Dublin to me. Swords 'the village'. Picked it up off my mother and I guess it stuck in my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Don3556

We always referred to it as going up the town form a Seatown perspective. Going "into" town meant going to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Was always the village to us as well, and I grew up 30 seconds walk from JCs, all our neighbours called it that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

I grew up in Lusk but my parents and neighbours always shopped in JC's for as long as I remember and still do. I'm continuing the tradition myself.
    RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

you know, I never really say this type of thing, but I really think there should be some sort of memorial in Swords to JC. Not even a statue, but just....something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

RIP to this legend of a man. He always had us in stitches, and came up with the funniest things. I was honoured he had a song for me once, I will always remember it :)
    My thoughts are with the Savages, truely a huge loss. May his good spirit and humour live on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 joey2thec

Larianne wrote: »
    Wow! That's a good few years ago. The chipper at the front of the centre with Jimmy's and the dry cleaners, bakery, chemist, florist..

Dont forget the Bike Shop ! Firs thing I ever bought was army men in Jimmy's for £1. Good Times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Michael B

RIP. My mother was really saddened by this news, she often talked about how nice he was. When is the At Your Service RTE show they filmed last year on does anyone know?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I think it's either the 13th or 23rd of april - there's a sign on the side of the mayors, i'll report back

• Registered Users Posts: 81,888 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Michael B wrote: »
    RIP. My mother was really saddened by this news, she often talked about how nice he was. When is the At Your Service RTE show they filmed last year on does anyone know?

It's on next Tuesday at 8.30pm, called Fergal Quinn's Retail Therapy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

A great man, a big heart, humble, a true gentleman.

Ride easy brother.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Just a note that this is on tonight on RTE1
    20:30 Feargal Quinn's Retail Therapy (T) The commercial mastermind heads for Swords in Co Fingal to help an independent supermarket owner hold his own against the multinational businesses closing in on his local area. Feargal enlists the aid of the entrepreneur's three sons to improve the standards of the business, as well as delegate responsibility for the shop evenly throughout the family unit. Last in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Terrific programme - really caught the character of the man. How heartbreaking for his family to watch it - I'd a tear in my eye I have to admit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

The show is now available on RTÉ player here

• Registered Users Posts: 10 shellymce

I grew up beside JC's. He was a lovely man and was friends with my Dad. For the person who wanted to know the chipper's name in the old JC's it was All Stars... It was blue inside and had a red door where the toilet was... Ah the memories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

Fergal Quinn may be regarded as a commercial mastermind but JC's was always cheaper. More power JC. You'll be sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭BollickyBill

Zzippy wrote: »
    Was always the village to us as well, and I grew up 30 seconds walk from JCs, all our neighbours called it that too.

Depending on what part of Swords you are from you can go up the town or down the town. When you go INTO town, you go to the city, and that's a fact!

• Advertisement
Advertisement