Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

R.I.P JC Savage

Options
  • 02-04-2010 11:31am
    Registered Users, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭

JC Savage passed away this morning, he was a legend a true gent and will be sorely missed in Swords .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭PCros

Thats sad to hear. I taught he was on the mend.

Great man himself and great man to Swords.

RIP JC

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I just heard the sad news a few minutes ago.

R.I.P. JC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Frank Spencer

Ah jaysus.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Very sad - a really great business man with a passion for his customers and great energy.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

JC was sick for a long time, although his passing is sad, it was a blessed release.

My folks split up when i was 12, and for a while struggled with cash. My mam would be going through the checkouts and JC would say to the cashier (as discreetly as JC ever was!!!) - "her moneys no good here" - and mam would be able to pay later. I'll never forget the man for that alone, as well as being my first boss, and teaching me pride in being a "Swordsman".

RIP JC.

PS - JC's open today - the way he would have wanted it :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

Thoughts and prayers are with JCs family.

He'll be sorely missed in the local community and we can only hope his trademark announcements (aka accusing ladies of stealing the bargains :) ) continue.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

RIP.

Swords will pretty much come to a standstill for his funeral I would say.
    jenga-jen wrote: »
    we can only hope his trademark announcements (aka accusing ladies of stealing the bargains :) ) continue.

That's actually his cousin Barry doing the announcements. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Larianne wrote: »
    RIP.

"French wine, from France..." :D

tbh wrote: »
    "French wine, from France..." :D

No, "New Zealand wine, from .... New Zealand". ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭jenga-jen

"Beautiful fresh fish...if you want it any fresher, buy yourself a rod"

The man was a genius! :)

Larianne, I'd noticed that Barry took over in the last few years but he's definitely keeping it going!!

• Advertisement

Larianne wrote: »
    RIP.

Was actually both of them with Barry taking over most of them in recent times.

Last one I remember JC doing was late last year when the first "shipment" of the 2 for €10 wines came in up by the pizza counter....they sold all the wine in about an hour so he gets on the tannoy and accuses southsiders coming over and taking all the wine. Was hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

'Kiss Cider, thats (insert 2 kiss sounds here) Cider. Last day of special offer on Kiss Cider!'

He was well known to my folks and met him a few times as a kid. One of a kind thats for sure.

R.I.P J.C

"No Problem Shopping"

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Ah god was over there this morning and saw the books of condolences and thought thats what they were for, great loss to the community.
    Shop was packed though :)
    I'm sure all of Swords will turn up for his funeral, he did so much for Swords.
    Did JC himself appear on the Fergal Quinn programme? its going to air in 2 week AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭luckyfrank

R I P very sad news

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Ginny wrote: »
    Did JC himself appear on the Fergal Quinn programme? its going to air in 2 week AFAIK.
    Yes, they were filming him talking to customers the morning I was up there.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Oh thats going to be so sad....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jorda 12

R. I. P. JC ......... A true gent who cared very much for the people of Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Jorda 12

Ginny wrote: »

I wonder will they still show it ? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Elliee

So so sad. :(

R.I.P J.C. Savage

I too believe the whole of Swords will come to a stand still. And only right too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

R.I.P JC

From what I hear, he'll be duly missed and was a great Swordsman.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Went to St Finians in Castlefarm many years ago. JC's was our hang out at lunch time. A true gent and will be sadly missed.If every town had a JC we wouldnt be in the mess we are in now. Cant remember the chipper that was there about 1989. Some Swords people will remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Only met him once but I can assure you J.C. will be missed by a lot of people not just in Swords but all over North Dublin.

R.I.P.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Never met the man (and only actually knew it was named after a person recently too to my shame) but JC's is a bit legendary for its independent status and well known here in Malahide too. Only heard recently he was ill but to have pioneered a long-lasting business that hasn't succombed to the ever-present chain franchises is some achievement. RIP.

Sparky84 wrote: »
    Went to St Finians in Castlefarm many years ago. JC's was our hang out at lunch time. A true gent and will be sadly missed.If every town had a JC we wouldnt be in the mess we are in now. Cant remember the chipper that was there about 1989. Some Swords people will remember.

Wow! That's a good few years ago. The chipper at the front of the centre with Jimmy's and the dry cleaners, bakery, chemist, florist..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,347 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Woah, that's a big loss.

RIP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭Posher

RIP JC Savage. I had no idea he was sick so shocked at this.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

RIP JC, a legend in Swords, and what a businessman. My first boss, he was a gent to all the staff that worked there, young or old. The announcements were brilliant too. I'll never forget working there with a Garth Brooks CD on repeat (all day, every day) and JC would be going around singing along, making you laugh.
    Anyone remember the huge prize draws he would have at Christmas, and the massive crowd that would turn up? He would work the crowd like a pro, he was some entertainer!
    Ar dheis De go raibh a anam.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 NJ Girl

When I was a kid we moved house from Swords to Skerries but my mother continued doing the weekly shop at JC's. A few years later my mother died and JC Savage was there are her funeral and at the burial in Skerries. I will always remember him for that. She was a customer - and that's how much he appreciated his customers. Thats the kind of man he was.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Don3556

Condolences to Geraldine and family. A great human being has been taken from us all. Ní fheicimíd a letheiíd arís.

Advertisement