Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Ireland need a Thatcher?

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,699 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

sarumite wrote: »
    In the UN's 2013 report, Ireland had a higher human development index than all of the above.

And Norway significantly higher than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭sarumite

Tabnabs wrote: »
    And Norway significantly higher than Ireland.
    I would have expected them to be above us. As I said previously, they have oil money and a small population. While its possible, it's also improbable, that a Norway without oil would have topped the list with such a significantly higher HDI than other countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

I worked in the UK at the tail end of Thatcher's period in office and through the Major years. Usually if someone mentions her as some kind of icon of sound government I advise them to go take a drive through the Yorkshire and east Durham coal fields, then come back and reconsider their view.

Saying that, I've had children be seriously ill in both Ireland and the UK and there's no comparison - the NHS, to my mind, is a true wonder service - unlike the HSE who would just rather you would die quickly and preferably quietly.

She championed efficiency, value for money in public services and cost effectiveness but at a huge social cost.

She had her good points, she had her bad points but on balance I'd say the last thing we need is Varadkar as a Taoiseach.......sorry I meant to say Thatcher, I get the two of them confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭shanered

Okay well suppose the word Nordic should just be replaced.by Norway. Maybe we should take a leaf out of their book and actually make.some.money off our natural resources rather then let multinational corps such as shell make all those petrodollars!

Advertisement