Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My 8 Point Plan to Reform Student Politics

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭Mark200

Denerick wrote: »
    One cannot be a hack if he proposes to enter office in order to abolish it.

Funny how you plan to run for SU President when you constantly make fun of anyone who ever bothers to vote in SU elections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Mark200 wrote: »
    Funny how you plan to run for SU President when you constantly make fun of anyone who ever bothers to vote in SU elections.

Please understand how retarded that statement is. I mock anyone who votes to continue the status quo. Turnout is so tiny because the vast majority of students agree with me. If I pledge to abolish the institution and then peacefully walk away, I believe I may increase turnout by at least 15-20%. The silent majority will have a field day getting rid of this whore of Babylon.

Please understand how retarded that statement is. I mock anyone who votes to continue the status quo. Turnout is so tiny because the vast majority of students agree with me. If I pledge to abolish the institution and then peacefully walk away, I believe I may increase turnout by at least 15-20%. The silent majority will have a field day getting rid of this whore of Babylon.

No, turnout is tiny because the vast majority of students don't care. I hope you do run next year, so you can finally understand that very few people have the same opinion as you. You aren't party of the silent majority, you're part of the loud minority.

No, turnout is tiny because the vast majority of students don't care. I hope you do run next year, so you can finally understand that very few people have the same opinion as you. You aren't party of the silent majority, you're part of the loud minority.

Nah, I'm not actually running next year. I won't even be a student here next year. I just thought it would provoke a bit of a response if I dramatically announced my candidacy for the office of Student President here on boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

So you're a crypto-hack then?

This is the single most retarded post I have ever read on boards. Because the guy buys a sandwich in the SU shop, he's a hack?? I'm sick of hearing that stupid word anyway.

I don't like the SU either. Go ahead, run for president. Turnout will still be tiny because NO ONE CARES. You seem to think that everyone has just been waiting on a revolutionary such as yourself to shake up the "status quo" and disband the SU. The fact that the overwhelming majority are completely indifferent to it hasn't occurred to you?

I'm glad I'm out of here in 6 weeks and will start living in the real world outside of Trinity. Y'know, maybe if you put all the time and energy you waste in your hatred of the SU into something worthwhile, you might find your horizons will expand and you could be part of something that actually matters.

Instead of focusing on making college an unbearable place where societies and group activities of any kind are forbidden, and being labelled a 'hack' is akin to being called a child murderer :rolleyes:

Seriously, get a life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

Shelga wrote: »
    This is the single most retarded post I have ever read on boards. Because the guy buys a sandwich in the SU shop, he's a hack?? I'm sick of hearing that stupid word anyway....

Game, Set and Match!!

Shelga wrote: »
    This is the single most retarded post I have ever read on boards. Because the guy buys a sandwich in the SU shop, he's a hack?? I'm sick of hearing that stupid word anyway.

I don't like the SU either. Go ahead, run for president. Turnout will still be tiny because NO ONE CARES. You seem to think that everyone has just been waiting on a revolutionary such as yourself to shake up the "status quo" and disband the SU. The fact that the overwhelming majority are completely indifferent to it hasn't occurred to you?

I'm glad I'm out of here in 6 weeks and will start living in the real world outside of Trinity. Y'know, maybe if you put all the time and energy you waste in your hatred of the SU into something worthwhile, you might find your horizons will expand and you could be part of something that actually matters.

Instead of focusing on making college an unbearable place where societies and group activities of any kind are forbidden, and being labelled a 'hack' is akin to being called a child murderer :rolleyes:

Seriously, get a life.

Hack.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,368 Mod ✭✭✭✭andrew

I bet Denerick is actually the provost. Hey Denerick...do you like lasers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭gamma23

In the interests of reducing the prevalence of hacks in our fine institution:

1) Disband the SU.

3) Appoint two Law PHD students to act as 'legal rights officers'. The university will pay a small monthy stipend for their legal advice for students, funded by the savings from the dissolution of the SU. Nuisance complaints will in future be dealt with by faculty convenors.

4) Faculty convenors will be nominated by elected student reps. Faculty convenors will act as the mediator between faculty and staff. Students with legal complaints will go first to the faculty convenor, who will in turn pass it on to the legal rights officer's. (If necessary)

You want to disband the SU then recreate it exactly as it is but you want it for free. With only 2 sabbatical officers that are appointed not elected. Appointed how, and by who, I would ask, if the plan had not already been ridiculed much more extensively above.

You have no problem with the SU, you just have a problem with the people who are running it and how they spend your money.

That's something you could do something about but you have just been too lazy and have spent your college years on boards attacking those who tried to be proactive about it.

If you hate 'hacks' and anyone who does anything but moan without giving constructive critism is labelled a 'hack'; by you. Then you have been resisting any changes the whole time and are as bad if not worse than those who continue them year on year.

This college and this forum will be a much better place without you. Please leave soon.

gamma23 wrote: »
    You want to disband the SU then recreate it exactly as it is but you want it for free. With only 2 sabbatical officers that are appointed not elected. Appointed how, and by who, I would ask, if the plan had not already been ridiculed much more extensively above.

No, please learn how to read. 'I' would have absolutely nothing to do with the founding of the SU, I'm merely saying that if people wish to have it they should make a conscious decision to pay for it themselves - in other words, to make it a voluntary institution. In other words, to remove the authoritarianism from the system which presumes that I should have to pay for it without giving it my consent. This is authoritarianism. If people like to claim that the SU represents my legal rights, I contend they do it badly and that people with knowledge and experience in the legal field should do it instead. On the contrary, the point hasn't been scrutinised, so how you think it has been ridiculed beggars belief and says more about your idea of what a political debate is.
    You have no problem with the SU, you just have a problem with the people who are running it and how they spend your money.

Its getting irritating trying to explain ethics to people from a very basic foundation. 'I' am indifferent to the existence of the SU. 'I' object to been forced to accept its existance, without been given a choice. 'You' seem to think its perfectly fair that an institution with no popular mandate (Less than 30% of the student body turn up at elections) is allowed to exist. You are the bad guy, not me.
    That's something you could do something about but you have just been too lazy and have spent your college years on boards attacking those who tried to be proactive about it.

Oh shut up. Buzz words.
    If you hate 'hacks' and anyone who does anything but moan without giving constructive critism is labelled a 'hack'; by you. Then you have been resisting any changes the whole time and are as bad if not worse than those who continue them year on year.

This college and this forum will be a much better place without you. Please leave soon.

You're going to get a sore awakening when you enter the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Am I the only one who thinks Denerick is a hack? Before he joined there was a max of two SU threads a year, now they're all over the place, and each has his stamp on them. There's something not quit right about caring that much about the SU.

Boston wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks Denerick is a hack? Before he joined there was a max of two SU threads a year, now they're all over the place, and each has his stamp on them. There's something not quit right about caring that much about the SU.

The games up I suppose. I'm actually the auditor of the Phil.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

Go Denerick. Why should we stop at the SU? Let's make the government a voluntary institution, and only those who voted for it shall pay taxes. Down with authoritarianism!

... Don't people usually grow out of their teen-anarchist stages when they're about 15?

BlueCam wrote: »
    Go Denerick. Why should we stop at the SU? Let's make the government a voluntary institution, and only those who voted for it shall pay taxes. Down with authoritarianism!

Reductio et absurdium is it? Why don't you just compare me to Hitler while you're at it? The difference is, my dear fellow, that when I apply to join Trinity College Dublin I do it in order to complete a degree. Things such as the societies and the SU are auxiliary to that purpose and not part of the broader package. It stands to reason then that the SU should be voluntary and democratic body, not an institutionalised authoritarianism which nobody has a choice over (They do have a choice to vote for hack no. 1 or hack no.2 at elections, however) Which is why the previous comment that 'I could have changed things' is so patently absurd and naieve.
    ... Don't people usually grow out of their teen-anarchist stages when they're about 15?

I am not an anarchist and you are employing a dishonest tactic.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

In the interests of reducing the prevalence of Denerick in our fine institution:

1) Disband Denerick's posting rights.

2) Replace it with a voluntary body. Students can choose to flame this body -voluntarily-. No longer will we be coerced into flaming a man none of us were given a vote on. Students who flame Denerick will have a franchise in which to vote for their new, reformed body. Students who don't pay for membership will miss out on... those cool posts. We'll soon see just how many individuals are willing to pay for this hack infested pit of idiocy.

3) Appoint two Law PHD students to act as 'legal rights officers'. The university will pay a small monthly stipend for their legal advice for Denerick. These students will help to defend him from his numerous upcoming lawsuits

4) Flame convenors will be nominated by elected voluntary body reps. Flame convenors will act as the mediator between the banned denerick and posters. Posters with complaints about Denerick will go first to the flame convenor, who will in turn pass it on to the legal rights officers. (If necessary)

5) Cut Social flaming by 50%. Force members to flame for themselves elsewhere.

6) Merge both of Denerick's fake accounts into one. Eliminate both Fo Real and Mr Pain, as their writing is cringe inducing. Plough savings into the production of higher quality posters such as Jonathon, actually, anyone really... Cut opinion pieces by half.

7) Charge a 'troll tax' on all Denerick or supporter posts. For example, for all of his posts, he'd be will be forced to pay a small, arbitrary fee to the university. This would be backdated to Denerick's registration date.

8) Ban Denerick from the SU shop. Denerick's use of the shop in the front square is unnecessary for him.

I believe that if these reforms are introduced, Denerick levels would be reduced by 45-55%

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

But he doesn't study English?

Boston wrote: »
    But he doesn't study English?

I'm not actually a hack. My identity is unknown. I am a subversive element within several societies whilst simultaneously plotting their downfall. I am Edmond Dantes.

gearoidof wrote: »
    In the interests of reducing the prevalence of Denerick in our fine institution:

1) Disband Denerick's posting rights.

2) Replace it with a voluntary body. Students can choose to flame this body -voluntarily-. No longer will we be coerced into flaming a man none of us were given a vote on. Students who flame Denerick will have a franchise in which to vote for their new, reformed body. Students who don't pay for membership will miss out on... those cool posts. We'll soon see just how many individuals are willing to pay for this hack infested pit of idiocy.

3) Appoint two Law PHD students to act as 'legal rights officers'. The university will pay a small monthly stipend for their legal advice for Denerick. These students will help to defend him from his numerous upcoming lawsuits

4) Flame convenors will be nominated by elected voluntary body reps. Flame convenors will act as the mediator between the banned denerick and posters. Posters with complaints about Denerick will go first to the flame convenor, who will in turn pass it on to the legal rights officers. (If necessary)

5) Cut Social flaming by 50%. Force members to flame for themselves elsewhere.

6) Merge both of Denerick's fake accounts into one. Eliminate both Fo Real and Mr Pain, as their writing is cringe inducing. Plough savings into the production of higher quality posters such as Jonathon, actually, anyone really... Cut opinion pieces by half.

7) Charge a 'troll tax' on all Denerick or supporter posts. For example, for all of his posts, he'd be will be forced to pay a small, arbitrary fee to the university. This would be backdated to Denerick's registration date.

8) Ban Denerick from the SU shop. Denerick's use of the shop in the front square is unnecessary for him.

I believe that if these reforms are introduced, Denerick levels would be reduced by 45-55%

Hack.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

Hack.

Denerick.

Couldn't find a better insult, tbh

gearoidof wrote: »
    Denerick.

Couldn't find a better insult, tbh

Uber hack.

• Advertisement

Hack.

Have to say that I've found some of your ramblings amusing before, but they're getting annoyingly repetitive at this stage.

Have to say that I've found some of your ramblings amusing before, but they're getting annoyingly repetitive at this stage.

I know you are, but what am I?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

You are a history student called Denis, and I could probably post your exam results, home address, and contact details etc etc. Sometimes being a former hack has perks.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Steve Higginson

A nerd from Monaghan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

A nerd from Monaghan.

Man I'd say Monaghan is a **** boring county!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭REPSOC1916

God this is funny.

*Awaits being called a hack.

Alright, I'll stop trolling. But the fact you all know this is slightly disconcerting and paranoia inducing.

Alright, I'll stop trolling. But the fact you all know this is slightly disconcerting and paranoia inducing.

Good idea, Den Bomb.

Good idea, Den Bomb.

You are a disturbed individual.

• Advertisement

You are a disturbed individual.

Oh, you've really got me now. I'd better go cry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement