Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

antoobrien wrote: »
    Not really, pre-motorways this was a favorite spot for speed checks (especially the Roscommon exit - saw them there every time i played golf in hudson bay). All they've done is gotten the private operators to take up the slack that the motorways has created. I noticed that there are no motorways marked on this map. The original promise (my memory might be wrong) was they would not target motorways, but would target accident prone areas.

What would annoy me about this is the areas where speed limits are artificially low (i.e. areas where the limit is 80 becuase of an r redesignation).being enforced. IMO the (current) surface of the bypass isn't up to constant 120km traffic.

A good few of the zones marked on the map seem to be on former national primary routes which have since been bypassed by motorways.

For example, the former N8 (now N77) between Portlaoise and Abbeyleix.

I presume the decision to make this a speed enforcement zone is because of past accident rates when it was part of the N8.

However, the completion of the M8 means that those past accident rates are now pretty much irrelevant.

Is there any point in making stretches of former national primary routes like this one into speed enforcement zones?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

The rate may decrease as you have less traffic on the road, but the road could still be bably designed and more prone to accidents.
    Anyway if not doing over the limit you have nothing to worry about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭veryangryman

I've seen worse stretches in France with 130 limits.

The surface needs work, and the on/off ramps and associated junctions are terrible, but the actual bypass itself is OK.

Just no. Both junctions west of the Shannon can get tailbacks very easily, visibility is poor due to the hill climbing west of the bridge and the curved nature of the Monksland Junction (J13)

Ever tried doing 120KPH towards either junction at rush hour? Not recommended. The merge/diverge lanes also rediculously short so tailbacks can overspill onto the main carriageway.

And dont get me started on all the pedestrians/cyclists/farmers/animals (RIP that dog yesterday between J9-10)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

However, the completion of the M8 means that those past accident rates are now pretty much irrelevant.

Is there any point in making stretches of former national primary routes like this one into speed enforcement zones?

If it's on a stretch that was downgraded to 80kph from 100kph then more than likely it's a revenue generating exercise.

Normally id be against these as revenue earners.

But i must say, id sooner have someone who's breaking the law rescue the country from the clutches of the ECB and IMF than to have to pay it myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Unfortunately, looks like we're gonna be forced to take a bailout from Europe/IMF due to our EU friends getting the fear that we'll bring down the euro. So we'll be paying it no matter what.

But back on topic :D
    Hasn't the tree cutting along the by-pass brightened it up a bit

But back on topic :D
    Hasn't the tree cutting along the by-pass brightened it up a bit

Dunno, it's always dark when I drive along it! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,863 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The Athlone bypass is one place that needs speed cameras. I'd love to see it motorway at 120kmh, but the curvature just isnt up to it and Athlone needs another bridge before the alternative route can be called 'reasonable'.

Now granted, the speed reduction from 120 to 100 should be WAY clearer than it is, but keeping people from drifting above 100 or not slowing down from 120 at all, is important here.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Athlone needs another bridge before the alternative route can be called 'reasonable'.

If you were going to build another bridge, it'd probably make more sense to cut straight across from M6 to M6 with a southern bypass.

Map

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭roosterman71

If you were going to build another bridge, it'd probably make more sense to cut straight across from M6 to M6 with a southern bypass.

Map

Probably be the most sensible, which means it will never happen!!

My second choice would be to build a bridge to the Longford side of the existing bridge, and join up at Monksland. Something like this

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

KevR wrote: »
    Not to mention a pedestrian was killed there not long ago (although this tragic accident could well have had no relation to speed).

Good God Kev! You obviously need some consciousness-raising - how non-PC, contra Health & Safety and pro-car can you get?

Obviously this accident was all about speed, like all RTAs. (Ask Gaybo). If the car was doing one kph, do you really think the pedestrian would have been hit?

Shame. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

dubhthach wrote: »
    If it's on a stretch that was downgraded to 80kph from 100kph then more than likely it's a revenue generating exercise.

Could be, although the former N8 between Portlaoise and Abbeyleix is now part of the N77, with a 100km/h limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

I don't think it's hypocrisy, it's common sense. Dog-walkers, cyclists, tractors, joggers: it's absolutely essential that Dublin/Galway traffic slows down for the Athlone bypass.

If the minister doesn't redesignate, they should speed-trap the hell out of the whole stretch.

What is disgraceful is:

1) allowing local gobsheen politicians to keep it from redesignation and
    2) the pathetic/inconsistent signage coming from Galway warning road users of the end of motorway/100K limit. It's not quite so bad coming from Dublin.

The thing is, you could easily not see a pedestrian or cyclist on a dark winter's evening and kill him/her even if you are well within the speed limit. That's why lighting is more important than speed checks in my opinion. Even if you had average speed cameras on the bypass which would force almost everybody to obey the 100kmh limit over the full stretch, it would still be a very dangerous place for peds/cyclists. I personally wouldn't walk along it in daylight if you paid me; no chance whatsoever in the dark.

There should also be signs at both ends warning motorists about pedestrians/cyclists/slow moving vehicles. I'm sure I have seen "Caution - Walkers" warning signs in a couple of places on national roads to warn motorists...

The Athlone bypass is one place that needs speed cameras. I'd love to see it motorway at 120kmh, but the curvature just isnt up to it and Athlone needs another bridge before the alternative route can be called 'reasonable'.

Now granted, the speed reduction from 120 to 100 should be WAY clearer than it is, but keeping people from drifting above 100 or not slowing down from 120 at all, is important here.

I saw a mobile camera todat eastbound just hiding around the bend just before the kilmartin exit! UNMARKED TAX COLLECTOR

There should also be signs at both ends warning motorists about pedestrians/cyclists/slow moving vehicles. I'm sure I have seen "Caution - Walkers" warning signs in a couple of places on national roads to warn motorists...

They should say "Caution - Morons"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I saw a mobile camera todat westbound just hiding around the bend just before the kilmartin exit! UNMARKED TAX COLLECTOR

Saw it too! Think i got behind a truck. Was overtaking at about 110km/h. Anyone know the tolerance levels on the cameras?

Bear in mind that the cameras move around every 3/4 hours so it could be at a different location on the bypass right now or later on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

They should say "Caution - Morons"

Very few motorists have been killed by pedestrians though.

Queue almost onto the mainline for J9 Eastbound exit this morning. And that was with 2 queues (1 for turning left and 1 for turning right). It's technically only supposed to be a single file queue (which would mean the queue would easily stretch onto the mainline most mornings).

This junction definitely needs to be upgraded.

From what I can see, still no sign of any of the bypass upgrade work starting.

Queue almost onto the mainline for J9 Eastbound exit this morning. And that was with 2 queues (1 for turning left and 1 for turning right). It's technically only supposed to be a single file queue (which would mean the queue would easily stretch onto the mainline most mornings).

This junction definitely needs to be upgraded.

From what I can see, still no sign of any of the bypass upgrade work starting.

Indeed. But in fairness thats my first time in nearly 5 years using the junction that there was such a queue - no doubt an auld one too scare to just go, or a moron caused it

The junction needs upgrading, but would require CPO from the house to the left and realigning of the Mount Temple road.

I cant see it being a priority. Ever tried the Monksland exit? Thats one that needs a revamp. Id even put Roscommon Rd slip above it also

Of course as someone who goes J9-J13 and back every day, i have my own priorities. Stupid IMF - be more generous!! :D

• Advertisement

This junction definitely needs to be upgraded closed.

Fixed your post :D

What planet are you living on with a post like that?

Junctions with that much traffic should not be closed. How the frig do you expect half the towns workforce to get into work. Kilmartins already full to bursting at J8 and Town not much better at J10

Luckily for us, you dont run the NRA. Sure why not close EVERY junction between Dublin and Galway at that rate :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Get off at the Coosan Junction instead, I see no problem closing it, 3 junctions in a mile is mad.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Get off at the Coosan Junction instead, I see no problem closing it, 3 junctions in a mile is mad.

First of all the Athlone relief road was built to bypass the town, it was not originally intended to be part of a motorway, all the junctions were needed to allow an many motorists to use ith ebypass instead of the town as possible.

Secondly, all the junctions can be cheaply upgraded with mini-roundabouts on the roads crossing it. These will resolve the principle cause of tailbacks on the slip roads by giving right turning vehicles priority over traffic on the local road coming from the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

This junction serves Ericssons and all of Blyry Ind. Est., not a chance of it closing.

Getting off at Coosan would do you no good. Ballymahon Road is the next one, and even getting off at that wouldn't be practical. If I was going to Blyry, I would get on at J10 Ballymahon Road, and get off at J9, instead of taking the long way around.

Anything coming from the east would have to go down past J9, to J10, and then double back on itself the long way round. They can't come in the old Dublin Road because of the railway bridge at Garrycaslte.

I passed the junction at 8:30 this morning, and there was nothing backed up.

Sponge Bob wrote: »

*Sigh*

The Shannon divides the town enough without fewer junctions on the bypass

Please name 1 benefit of closing any. Wow ~2 minutes will be saved on the Inter-Urban journey by the higher limit. You do realise that some people doing this route do actually want to go to Athlone.

And before you say, get off at Coosan (too late i know), have you ever seen the queues on main roads from Kilmartins to Monksland and thats with the current situation.

The town cannot handle much more traffic. 10-20K locals who use the bypass to dilute the traffic through town is much more beneficial to much more people than closing junctions. And no this isnt parish pump politics. The fact is that the Shannon is a major pain to traverse and people want to avoid the neolithic streets (and awful traffic lights) as much as possible

People in Naas/Galway many other places would give their right arm to be able traverse their towns as handily.

Matter of interest, how many people really go the full D-G route daily? Granted alot of trucks, but are they even allowed do 120?

Indeed. But in fairness thats my first time in nearly 5 years using the junction that there was such a queue - no doubt an auld one too scare to just go, or a moron caused it

The junction needs upgrading, but would require CPO from the house to the left and realigning of the Mount Temple road.

I cant see it being a priority. Ever tried the Monksland exit? Thats one that needs a revamp. Id even put Roscommon Rd slip above it also

Of course as someone who goes J9-J13 and back every day, i have my own priorities. Stupid IMF - be more generous!! :D

I have seen long queues, on both the Eastbound and Westbound offramps, in the past couple of weeks. Today's queue was exceptionally long but the queues are definitely significantly longer than they were when I was using this junction daily last year..

The junction is underpowered and should be improved with mini roundabouts (rather than being closed!).

I live near J11 and use the bypass daily, but I think that J9, J11 and J12 should all be closed, J10 and J13 should be upgraded, local feeder roads improved and the whole shebang redesignated as a Motorway.

I am well aware that lots of local traffic uses these junctions all the time. The reason to close the junctions is to stop local traffic using the N/M6 to go a mile to work.

With fewer M-way grade junctions, the road can be redesignated, and the joggers, dog-walkers, tractors, L-drivers and bicycles gotten off the route before the deaths start mounting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

I think we might finally be getting somewhere.

Small sign around J9 Westbound this afternoon. All I could grab off it as I passed was "Athlone Relief Road Rehabilitation Works".

I'll see if I can get any more off it tomorrow, and the local paper will be out too - that might have more.

• Advertisement

I saw two of those this morning as well, first time I'd seen them.
    I would expect work to start in the new year, maybe just some prep work going on now.

Advertisement