Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N6 - Athlone Bypass Upgrade works

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

The median crossover is to allow traffic going westbound to go onto the eastbound carriageway.
    Basically they are going to remove the crash barrier between the eastbound and westbound lane, close off say a section of westbound road, divert that westbound traffic over the median onto the "fast lane" of the eastbound traffic, and restrict the eastbound traffic to one lane.
    Simples !

Hope they dont put traffic lights on the slip roads, that will make a mickey of the bypass.
    The only place that really needs traffic lights is the eastbound slip road at garrycastle,its very hard for traffic turning right there, once those traffic lights have Infra-Red sensors in them so they are only used when there is actually traffic on the slip road then it would work quiet well.
    ---> But as this makes total sence, I can 100% guarantee that they wont do it!

WCC have a webpage up about the scheme, but there is no info on it at present
    http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/scheme.asp?schemeId=16#current

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

50 km/hr signs out at J11 heading West this morning, until after J13.

No sign of actual works, but it was early...

Also at J10 and 9 eastbound. They were working in between J8 and 9 westbound at about 8:20.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

50kmh speed limit signs, nobody obeying it.

I wanted to, purely because I was heading towards the speed camera location. I just couldn't do it though.

• Advertisement

you cant be prosecuted for speeding in a temporary 50kph road works zone, unless the contractors have applied to the local county council have the speed limit reduced.
    Generally for athlone they would be shown on the Athlone Town council website,
    But then again a Garda could do you for dangerous driving if you were going too fast...

ok, found it on the WCC website
    http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/en/ourservices/roadstransport/roadspeedlimits/name,8614,en.html.

So you can be done for doing over 50kph !!

N6 Athlone Relief Road Special Speed Limits
    WESTMEATH COUNTY COUNCIL & ROSCOMMON COUNTY COUNCIL
    NOTICE OF SPECIAL SPEED LIMIT FOR ROAD WORKS IN ACCORDANCE WITH SECTION 10 OF THE ROAD TRAFFIC ACT 2004
    Notice is hereby given that the following Special Speed Limits have been made on the N6 Athlone Relief Road to facilitate overlay and rehabilitation works.
    A special speed limit of 50 km/h will apply, as shown on the attached map, from Easting 602937.0, Northing 742446.4 to Easting 607231.9, Northing 741088.8.
    The special speed limit is proposed for the duration of the road works at the above location and will be from 11th January, 2011 up to and including 11th October, 2011.
    The Council will have regard to any representations that are made in relation to this Special Speed Limit Order.

Signed: Barry Kehoe
    Director of Services
    Transportation

--> The guards did enforce this when they were constructing the M6 Athlone/Ballinasloe two years ago ( Mate of mine got nabbed by them)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

whyulittle wrote: »
    I wanted to, purely because I was heading towards the speed camera location. I just couldn't do it though.

I know, it's impossible! It would also be dangerous to drive at 50kmh if everyone else is doing 100kmh+

People will be more inclined to reduce their speed when they see work being done and especially when lanes are closed or when contra-flows are in operation.

This is my last week commuting to Athlone daily from Galway because I'm moving to Athlone at the weekend. It will be good to be walking distance from work and I won't get caught up in the traffic disruption caused by the upgrade.

yeah when the work starts people will reduce their speed but in fairness 50kph is ridiculous, it should be 60kph, at least you would have a chance to stick to that and not have too many people riding up your arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

billbond4 wrote: »
    from 11th January, 2011 up to and including 11th October, 2011.

Jesus H! :eek:

• Advertisement

yeah when the work starts people will reduce their speed but in fairness 50kph is ridiculous, it should be 60kph, at least you would have a chance to stick to that and not have too many people riding up your arse!

The traffic volumes during peak times will make the speed limits completely obsolete, what is really needed are "Queue in both lanes" and "Queues ahead" signs leading up to the works.
    Otherwise we'll have the ridiculous situation again, like last year where there was a queue 3-4km long in the driving (left) lane and an empty right lane, except for a few who stayed in the outside lane right up to the works and they were often blocked from rejoining the left lane.

This being Ireland, that won't be done. Look forward to a year of road rage!

Edit: I have sent in an email to WCC requesting that they look into "queue management", will keep you updated

And so it begins...

We now have a single lane westbound between the Rosconnom and Monklands junctions and reduced width eastbound.

Well I guess we'll find out if they are doing people for going over 50 km/h or not.

They are sitting in the spot at the temporary 100 km/h signs just before J8 eastbound, I passed at about 90 km/h.

There were two 50 km/h signs on the J10 on ramp, but there is a 100 km/h sign just after you join the carriageway. I'd imagine that would cover me if I was done by them.

whyulittle wrote: »
    Well I guess we'll find out if they are doing people for going over 50 km/h or not.

They are sitting in the spot at the temporary 100 km/h signs just before J8 eastbound, I passed at about 90 km/h.

There were two 50 km/h signs on the J10 on ramp, but there is a 100 km/h sign just after you join the carriageway. I'd imagine that would cover me if I was done by them.

Revenue gathering! There's no reason for the whole road to have the speed restriction, only the sections being worked on. :mad:

PS they wern't there this morning @05:00

For anyone heading west: the overtaking lane is closed from just before J12 (just across the Shannon bridge) to just after J13.

Traffic was still ignoring the 50 limit this morning, doing about 80 through the restricted section.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

Revenue gathering! There's no reason for the whole road to have the speed restriction, only the sections being worked on.

That'd take a lot of work - having to apply for and advertise changes in the speed limit. Easier to get the restriction for the road - same way as it was done on the M50 (the whole section of road being covered under a phase was covered, not just the part of the road was being worked on). They ended up lifting the restrictions gradually as sections (and junctions) were completed. Hopefully they'll do something like this.

antoobrien wrote: »
    That'd take a lot of work - having to apply for and advertise changes in the speed limit. Easier to get the restriction for the road - same way as it was done on the M50 (the whole section of road being covered under a phase was covered, not just the part of the road was being worked on). They ended up lifting the restrictions gradually as sections (and junctions) were completed. Hopefully they'll do something like this.

Not at all, they just advertise a "rolling limit" as in it only applies to the section actually being worked on between two distinct points, i.e.
    "Rolling Speed restriction for works carried out on sections of road between J8 to J13". Just placing signs along the whole road where there are no works is just an invitation for revenue gathering!

Edit: I would like to know what speed the "scameras" are set for now!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭spadesaspade

anybody know what company is doing the works on this project?

Edit: I would like to know what speed the "scameras" are set for now!

Me too! :o

anybody know what company is doing the works on this project?

"The work will be carried out on behalf of the local authority by a Mayo-based Civil Engineering company, Wills Bros Ltd, while another company, CMS, will handle traffic management during the project."

(from the Westmeath)

• Advertisement

I have just sent in a complaint about the speed limit covering the entire road, perhaps if a few more complain they might reconsider.
    I would like to complain about the placing of the special speed limit along sections of the road that are not currently being affected by the upgrade works. currently the entire bypass is subjected to the 50kmh limit when it is only the section between the Coosan road (eastbound) and Monksland junctions that actually have works being carried out. the remainder of the road is completely free of works.

Please consider restricting the limits to just the sections of road being worked on and on the approach to the lane restrictions, also remove the limit from the road immediately after the works have been passed.
    http://www.westmeathcoco.ie/Contact%20Us/ContactUs.aspx

Its Willis Bros are doing the work, (they are also doing the new roundabout and resurfacing out at the monksland )

You could have asked the scamera people this morning, as the van was out at the Birr exit

The WCC project webpage now has a link with a picture of when and where the traffic management will occur
    http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/database/downloads/N6%20ATH%20Relief%20Traffic%20Management.pdf

I can see my house!

I was walking out of Applegreen there this evening, and you could see the traffic backing up onto the overpass.

Plus, I've asked a friend of mine who works in the Westmeath to see if he can find out what speed limit Go Safe are working off on the bypass at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,546 ✭✭✭veryangryman

J13 east on ramp closing next Thursday for 3 weeks :eek::eek::eek:

So the entire Monksland population have to go through Baylough, out Roscommon Rd and onto Ganlys to get on.

Since alot of the people living here are blow-ins, ill bet my bottom dollar that traffic slows to a crawl through people not knowing the way (or going through town like silly billies)

J12 east off ramp also closing. Not a big eek as its not really a main off route.

Whats interesting, i saw what looked like a third lane being dug up towards the Roscommon J12 eastbound exit this morning - is the junction being upgraded? If so then maybe all this fuss is worth it

yeah they will be closing the slip roads as well as the sections of the roads at a time.
    If you look here
    http://www.wccprojectoffice.ie/new/database/downloads/N6%20ATH%20Relief%20Traffic%20Management.pdf
    You see that the main road and the slip roads are closed in stages.

For the speedlimit, there is a roadworks end sign just after the bridge going eastbound, so technically you can increase your speed back up to 100kph there.

For the speedlimit, there is a roadworks end sign just after the bridge going eastbound, so technically you can increase your speed back up to 100kph there.
    But without an end of speed limit sign, they can still get you! :mad:

but isnt a roadworks end sign the same ?
    I havent travelled all the way to kilmartins so I dont know what signs are further along the road.

• Advertisement

From J10 to J8, there are no signs on the mainline, until you reach J8 where there are two big 100 km/h signs (the speed van was parked directly behind these the other morning). The 50 km/h signs are only on the on ramps.

Advertisement