Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hate Trinity

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I miss the hot undergrads in here.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I miss the hot undergrads in here.

Come over to Hammo so. ;)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's never open for creatures of the night like me :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Larianne wrote: »
    Come over to Hammo so. ;)

Why, do you know some?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

I have found most of the security guards to be very pleasant.
    Its a pain when you get caught doing something you shouldn't, but sure thats their job.
    One or two of them need lessons in basic manners though.
    A "please" and "thank you" dont cost anything. I remember a few months ago I was going out front arch after twelve and I didnt close the door fully behind.
    Some stubby guard rolled out after me and nearly ate the head of me.
    Effin' and blindin' like there was no tomorrow.
    I just pretended I didnt hear him.

But most of them are very polite.

Edit: Also, wheres the museum building?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,329 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Boston wrote: »
    As I said, same story with postgrad reading room and you can't claim thats for undergrads.

Of course you can't, its a postgrad reading room. Considering the Hamilton is 24 hour access, there is no reason to think that the Museum Building isn't. I'm just saying that if it truly isn't meant to be 24 hour access then there should be some indication of such.

It's never open for creatures of the night like me :p

What, the Hammo? Yeah it is.
    Why, do you know some?

Of course!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Of course you can't, its a postgrad reading room. Considering the Hamilton is 24 hour access, there is no reason to think that the Museum Building isn't. I'm just saying that if it truly isn't meant to be 24 hour access then there should be some indication of such.
    Boston is saying, without any particular evidence, that only students whose departments are based in the Museum Building are allowed there after hours.

To me that should be treated as if Boston were saying, without any particular evidence, that the Hamilton is only for science students.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

Those front arch security guys are ****ers.I got lucky (for a change) the night of my finals and they wouldn't let her in. Thought I'd be clever the following night (results night from dental hospital and brought out a second card and sent another lucky gal in first with it telling her what to say. I followed in a few mins later and there she was under front arch with 2 of the ****ers. One of em shouts out "AH jaysus lads, would ja look who it is-auld don wan de marco again".He said he saw me coming on the security cameras. It was in the bad old days when taxis were like golddust and I'd walk out close to james hospital!!Those pricks cost he 2 s*ags and I'm still bitter!!Lads love the story though :)

Boston is saying, without any particular evidence, that only students whose departments are based in the Museum Building are allowed there after hours.

To me that should be treated as if Boston were saying, without any particular evidence, that the Hamilton is only for science students.

How do you know I have no particular evidence? The hamilton has 24 hour access because it has computer rooms which are accessible by all students at all times. The Museum build has computer rooms accessible by engineers and geologists/some other no-name courses, only. Once in the building, the only thing you'll be able to use is the toilets. Unless you had some magical keys you found lying around which are the property of trinity college. Which one of us was the engineering student and which one of us was the BESS student who'd sneak into the building while looking out for security? If you were so sure of your right to use the building, why did you care so much about being caught?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

digzy wrote: »
    Those front arch security guys are ****ers.I got lucky (for a change) the night of my finals and they wouldn't let her in. Thought I'd be clever the following night (results night from dental hospital and brought out a second card and sent another lucky gal in first with it telling her what to say. I followed in a few mins later and there she was under front arch with 2 of the ****ers. One of em shouts out "AH jaysus lads, would ja look who it is-auld don wan de marco again".He said he saw me coming on the security cameras. It was in the bad old days when taxis were like golddust and I'd walk out close to james hospital!!Those pricks cost he 2 s*ags and I'm still bitter!!Lads love the story though :)

What now???
    Boston wrote:
    How do you know I have no particular evidence? The hamilton has 24 hour access because it has computer rooms which are accessible by all students at all times. The Museum build has computer rooms accessible by engineers and geologists/some other no-name courses, only. Once in the building, the only thing you'll be able to use is the toilets. Unless you had some magical keys you found lying around which are the property of trinity college. Which one of us was the engineering student and which one of us was the BESS student who'd sneak into the building while looking out for security? If you were so sure of your right to use the building, why did you care so much about being caught?

Out of interest, how are you meant to prove that you are one of the students allowed in if you are confronted by security??

They radio in your student number to see if you're in one of the schools who use the building. Happened to some friends of mine who where caught in the building after it was closed up.

How do you know I have no particular evidence?
    I didn't say you had no evidence, I said that you hadn't produced any. "Boston has said [without producing evidence]" kind of a thing. I'll happily stand corrected if I'm shown to be wrong.

Anybody fancy emailing the JD?
    Once in the building, the only thing you'll be able to use is the toilets.
    I think that's the point some people are making - the designated toilets for the Ussher computer room are in the Museum Building.
    Which one of us was the engineering student and which one of us was the BESS student who'd sneak into the building while looking out for security? If you were so sure of your right to use the building, why did you care so much about being caught?
    Let's not get into a discussion about my shenanigans on a public forum :)

I didn't say you had no evidence, I said that you hadn't produced any. "Boston has said [without producing evidence]" kind of a thing. I'll happily stand corrected if I'm shown to be wrong.

Produce evidence for me that the building has 24 hour access for all students.
    Anybody fancy emailing the JD?

What would she know about it? You'd want to contact the buildings office.
    I think that's the point some people are making - the designated toilets for the Ussher computer room are in the Museum Building.

Designated by whom.

Produce evidence for me that the building has 24 hour access for all students.
    The fact that there exists a functioning swipe access facility is evidence. That there is no obvious reason that this exists accidentally and/or is a mistake (for example, undergraduate access to the Postgraduate Reading Room was pretty clearly an accident, and rectified) is further evidence that there's access for all students.
    What would she know about it? You'd want to contact the buildings office.
    Buildings Office, afaik, operate under the instruction of the Board and Deans. Again, open to correction on that one.
    Designated by whom.
    Like everything else in College, presumably arising from an arrangement between the Students' Union and the Library, organised by the Junior Dean and facilitated by the Director of Buildings, conditionally agreed to by the Provost pending full permission in writing from the appropriate sub-committee acting in locum for the Board.

The fact that there exists a functioning swipe access facility is evidence. That there is no obvious reason that this exists accidentally and/or is a mistake (for example, undergraduate access to the Postgraduate Reading Room was pretty clearly an accident, and rectified) is further evidence that there's access for all students.

Postgrad reading room was like that for years. It's only been fixed since major renovations took place
    Buildings Office, afaik, operate under the instruction of the Board and Deans. Again, open to correction on that one.

Where's your evidence.
    Like everything else in College, presumably arising from an arrangement between the Students' Union and the Library, organised by the Junior Dean and facilitated by the Director of Buildings, conditionally agreed to by the Provost pending full permission in writing from the appropriate sub-committee acting in locum for the Board.

Theres nothing to indicate there's any such designation. Provide evidence please.

Where's my evidence that the Buildings Office operates under the instruction of the Board?

Lol.

I see UCD has turned you into a parrot. Where's your evidence that the buildings office works under the instruction of the junior dean and this board of deans you've made up? Perhaps you make reference to the Board of the College which both are under?

Where's your evidence that the toilets are designation as you claim?

Lol.

Lads, I'll send an email to JD and find out! ;)

She reads this forum, here user name is emmafoxysocks.

• Advertisement

Where's your evidence that the buildings office works under the instruction of the junior dean and this board of deans you've made up? Perhaps you make reference to the Board of the College which both are under?
    You need to read my posts with greater care, you're misquoting me.

I said "Buildings Office, afaik, operate under the instruction of the Board and Deans." Allow me to spell that out more fully for you, "The Buildings Office, as far as I know, operate under the instruction of the Board of Trinity College and under the instruction of the Junior and Senior Deans, who by designation of the Consolidated Statutes of 1966, shall 'maintain discipline.'"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 PapaRatzinger

digzy wrote: »

Tough ****. If you'd made the effort to make yourself known to them and had the banter, they might have bent a rule or two for you. Always be nice to the front of house men. No matter what line of work you're in. One day, you'll need them.

You need to read my posts with greater care, you're misquoting me.

I said "Buildings Office, afaik, operate under the instruction of the Board and Deans." Allow me to spell that out more fully for you, "The Buildings Office, as far as I know, operate under the instruction of the Board of Trinity College and under the instruction of the Junior and Senior Deans, who by designation of the Consolidated Statutes of 1966, shall 'maintain discipline.'"

Do you find legalise works for you when dealing with the sheep? You've yet to provide any evidence that the junior Dean has any involvement in determining the access policy for any area of college. She has some say over on campus student accommodation, but none whatsoever beyond that. Going to the auld polytechnic has made you slow of wit and replaced your ability to reason, if it existed in the first place, with legal garbage. You spout uninformed and unsubstantiated opinion as fact while demanding evidence of others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭D.R cowboy

Do you find legalise works for you when dealing with the sheep? You've yet to provide any evidence that the junior Dean has any involvement in determining the access policy for any area of college. She has some say over on campus student accommodation, but none whatsoever beyond that. Going to the auld polytechnic has made you slow of wit and replaced your ability to reason, if it existed in the first place, with legal garbage. You spout uninformed and unsubstantiated opinion as fact while demanding evidence of others.

Typical auld county people all they want is a cup of tae and a few auld ham sandwiches when they get home to the farm at the weekend :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

But Boston, Time Magazine prides himself on his College Knowledge. It's you who's wrong; it's the most parsimonious explanation.

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭devinejay

Just had to say, a bunch of us had a run in with the TCD security last night, and they were genuinely great. I take back what I said before, these guys were laid back and really polite, and the whole encounter was fine for all parties involved. The way it should be!

Were lovely to us the other night. Never really see em much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

There's more than one bad egg in the TCD security crew. About 5 of us were in the Durns (duams) room not doing much of anything and they burst in like a swat team demanding our permission slips for hosting a party or something. it would have been funny if the weather wasn't miserable and weren't basically thrown out onto the cobbles.

the alan partridge busy body is another ****er. operating mostly out of goldsmith, very fussy and annoying.

having said that I like that big bloke with the moustache that works mainly out of front arch. i had some issue at some point in the past and he was decent about it.

Advertisement