Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lidl Car Care Items On Sale Monday 5th April - Synthetic Oil €5/litre

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Just serviced my car with the 10W40 just there. So, with the oil filter I picked up in Halfords, that brings it to the total of about 23 Euro for an oil and filter change.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

bbk wrote:
    What I quoted was word for word of that little section so it must have been a different bottle then what you were talking about.

All that was there was 4 or 5 litre "Part Synthetic" stuff. Once I read what I typed in my post I lost any faith in the stuff.
    Checked the bottle of Lidl 10w40 I have in the car and sure enough its says "BMW Special VW 505.01":). Well spotted.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Just serviced my car with the 10W40 just there. So, with the oil filter I picked up in Halfords, that brings it to the total of about 23 Euro for an oil and filter change.:)

Is this the Yaris ? I thought 10w40 wasn't recommended for them ?

I bought 10 litres of the stuff today, should do the 2 litre petrol engine in the Audi A4 I'm driving for 6500 miles :rolleyes: Used only 10w40 semi-synth before but trying fully synth as an experiment to see if it makes any impact on the engines 1 litre per 1000 miles oil consumption.

Is there many miles on the Audi, a litre every 1000 miles is huge consumption as you no doubt are aware.

RoverJames wrote: »
    Is this the Yaris ? I thought 10w40 wasn't recommended for them ?

And that's what I serviced it with in the end. I brought back the 15W40, paid the difference, and they exchanged it no bother.

And that's what I serviced it with in the end. I brought back the 15W40, paid the difference, and they exchanged it no bother.

:), I actually thought that 10w40 wasn't recommended for the Yaris, according to both Castrol and Halfords on line oil guides, they may be wrong though.

• Advertisement

This reply is in the thread when you mentioned your Yaris :)
    The ole curiosity got the better of me so I did a small bit of internetting...

Brian was bang on with the 5w30 according to the dudes at castrol, it's the only recommendation, now quite often they list perhaps two different viscosity oils for a car so when only one is recommended I would imagine it is crucial to stick to it
    http://www.castrol.com/castrol/iframe.do?categoryId=9024084&contentId=7044829

No harm checking the Halfords recommendation
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/EngineOilGuidedSalesCmd?action=findEngineOils&vrn=&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&categoryId=165581&langId=-1&engineInd=1&makeName=44&modelName=4424&dvlaYear=39&subset=4424120&amountRequired=fullService&x=66&y=10

looks like 5w30 is the only option for the 1.0 Yaris you have, it's not cheap unfortunately but the one you initially linked to for €24.99 is correct I think. Free set of screw drivers too, I actually got that set some years ago with a gallon of oil, they are quite good to be honest.

Apologies, you will have to enter the details into the Castrol search function I linked to.

:), I actually thought that 10w40 wasn't recommended for the Yaris, according to both Castrol and Halfords on line oil guides, they may be wrong though.

BrianD3 did a google for me and found that I would just about get away with using 10W40.

Anyway, I've taken the car for a drive since and everything seems fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭GTE

If unsuitable oil is used you wont know about it asap like dirty fuel. It could result in extra wear and tear in the long run and shorten the life span of the engine.

Basically smoking doesnt kill you right away, but it hacks away at you later in life.

BrianD3 did a google for me and found that I would just about get away with using 10W40.

cool, i'd be concerned that neither castrol nor halfords listed the 10 40, 5 30 is a significantly different oil.

bbk wrote: »
    If unsuitable oil is used you wont know about it asap like dirty fuel. It could result in extra wear and tear in the long run and shorten the life span of the engine.

If so, I am willing suffer the consequences just fine.;)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

would it do my 2001 passat 1.6 petrol

Basically smoking doesnt kill you right away, but it hacks away at you later in life.

Folks at Yaris World agree
    http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=64572

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭GTE

If so, I am willing suffer the consequences just fine.;)

I love those sassy winks of yours ;)

What year Yaris is it anyway?
    I havent read about a lil Toyota engine thats picky on its oil untill tonight.

Feckin' hell, does it really bother you that much about what oil I put in my own car?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭bryaner

Wont make fcuk all of a difference again that engine is knackered the running gear will be long crushed

Feckin' hell, does it really bother you that much about what oil I put in my car?:rolleyes:

Well to be honest when someone asks is it ok to throw 15 40 in their car (after they say they know f all about car maintenance) and they then lash in 10 40 because someone gave them a google link saying it might be fine (even though no oil manufacturers on line guides concur) I thought it no harm to offer a link from Toyota folks. As the car has only a 2 year old engine in it I would have thought you would like to keep the engine in tip top condition.

No need for the sarcy post above to be honest, I was only highlighting that 5w30 is recommended for the Yaris.
    No doubt you are an expert though, sure you drove it after the oil change and 'twas fine.

I love those sassy winks of yours ;)

I havent read about a lil Toyota engine thats picky on its oil untill tonight.
    No need for the sarcy post above to be honest, I was only highlighting that 5w30 is recommended for the Yaris.

Well what's done is done. If you really wanted to help that badly then you should've done so when I originally asked.

Now, can we please lay this to rest before it turns into a massive argument?

Well what's done is done. If you really wanted to help that badly then you should've done so when I originally asked.

Now, can we please lay this to rest before it turns into a massive argument?

:rolleyes:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=65241052#post65241052

I did, two hours after someone said you might get away with the 10w40, generally if folks didn't want to help they wouldn't go pr1cking about on castrol and Halfords webites. You can rest assured it's laid to rest with me, even if there is a 3rd sarky remark heading my way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

RoverJames wrote:
    Is there many miles on the Audi, a litre every 1000 miles is huge consumption as you no doubt are aware
    76K miles at the moment but its been thirsty on the oil since around 40K miles.

Advertisement