Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lidl Car Care Items On Sale Monday 5th April - Synthetic Oil €5/litre

Options
  • 31-03-2010 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭

Lidl have card care items next Monday 5th. Their synthetic oil is high spec and great value at €5 per litre.

5W-40 ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, API SM/CF
    BMW Longlife-98, MB 229.3, Opel GM-LL-B-025, Porsche, VW-Norm 502 00, 505 00

Not your ornery onager

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭Moanin

I've used it for a while on my Golf GTI (No complaints) Once it conforms to VW spec it will do me fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

€5/litre is cheap indeed, especially given the fact that it's a litre container. Normally full synth sells for upwards of €10/litre if you're buying 4.5 litre bottles, and €14/litre if you're buying litre bottles.

Pity it's not 505.01 though.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Would this Synthetic oil suit my SEAT Cordoba 1.4Tdi sport?
    Almost due an oil/filter change :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,267 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Just had a look at my car manual there (1.8Tfsi), 502 00 is approved for normal interval servicing, not longlife. Thats a good price & I think I will buy some. Car just finishing warranty now so I will be doing oil changes myself.

Edit: looked at link, where did OP find the specs for the oil? THinking again, I will be holding all receipts for service parts & Lidl oil wouldnt be a good selling point regardless of whether it meets the vw spec or not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭GTE

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Pity it's not 505.01 though.:p

I dont have the engine for that oil but I understand your pain!:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,384 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Halfords oil is cheaper than that isn't it?

mickdw wrote: »
    Just had a look at my car manual there (1.8Tfsi), 502 00 is approved for normal interval servicing, not longlife. Thats a good price & I think I will buy some. Car just finishing warranty now so I will be doing oil changes myself.

Edit: looked at link, where did OP find the specs for the oil? THinking again, I will be holding all receipts for service parts & Lidl oil wouldnt be a good selling point regardless of whether it meets the vw spec or not

I couldn't care less about old receipts to be honest. If the service logbook was maintained, I'm happy enough.

Not that any of it guarantee the work was actually done on the vehicle...:o

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Halfords oil is cheaper than that isn't it?

Not full synth though.

Upwards of €10/litre as said before.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,016 ✭✭✭✭Esel

The specs I posted are from the previous version of this oil, from 2008. I took the liberty of upping the API spec from SL to SM, because I'm pretty sure that's what this version would have.

It is possible that the VW spec has been upgraded to 505.01.

Not your ornery onager

Did a bit of googling. Original brand is PENNASOL SUPER PACE SAE 5W-40, made in Germany.

Specs:

API SM/CF,
    ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4,
    VW-Norm 502 00, 505 00
    Porsche
    MB 229.3
    BMW Longlife-98
    Opel GM–LL–B-025
    Renault RN 700, RN 710

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

My local Motor Factors (tinnnnnny little shop) quoted me EUR50 all in for 2x 5litre cans of Elf Fully Synth 5w-40. Afaik Elf are now Total Energy branded.. any comments on how it would compare to the Lidl (Pennasol) oil?

Also Esel, are you sure its Pennasol? I did some googling too, I found some Polish web forum making that connection (I think), nothing even remotely concrete though.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

esel wrote: »
    Lidl have card care items next Monday 5th. Their synthetic oil is high spec and great value at €5 per litre.

5W-40 ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4, API SM/CF
    BMW Longlife-98, MB 229.3, Opel GM-LL-B-025, Porsche, VW-Norm 502 00, 505 00
    It doesn't state BMW Longlife-98 in the ad in the OP. How do you know? Does it say on the bottle? Or was it from googling?

Good value but I wouldn't leave it in an engine beyond 6000 miles or so, no doubt it is labelled fully syn and meets all the specs but quite likely it has ester as an additive rather than a basestock. Folks should remember that the cheapest synthetic oils available are often not really sysnthetic from a chemical perspective. They are often specially refined mineral oils of light viscosity. About 15 years ago there was a big legal battle in the states that allowed these fancy mineral oils to be labelled and marketed at synthetic.

I only drive old cheap cars so wouldn't hesitate in lashing the Lidl stuff in my car (but at €5/L for the Lidl stuff I'll stick to the Mobil S 10w40 semi syn that can be gotten for €23 in Halfords from time to time) but if I had a modern pricey motor I would be very slow to use it, unless I was planning on taking it out after 6000 miles, I certainly wouldn't leave it in there for the recommended service interval in miles. It may well not be one of the fancy mineral oils but I wouldn't bank on it.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Also Esel, are you sure its Pennasol? I did some googling too, I found some Polish web forum making that connection (I think), nothing even remotely concrete though.
    See this post (Polish forum) which quotes a fax from the manufacturer (i.e. the refinery). This fax crops up a few times when googling, and I can't see anyone going to the bother of faking the contents, tbh. So, I'm happy to accept that it's Pennasol.
    biko wrote: »
    It doesn't state BMW Longlife-98 in the ad in the OP. How do you know? Does it say on the bottle? Or was it from googling?
    From the bottle of Lidl's previous version of this oil, and from googling. It will state all the specs, including BMW, on the bottle.
    RoverJames wrote: »
    Good value but I wouldn't leave it in an engine beyond 6000 miles or so, no doubt it is labelled fully syn and meets all the specs but quite likely it has ester as an additive rather than a basestock. Folks should remember that the cheapest synthetic oils available are often not really sysnthetic from a chemical perspective. They are often specially refined mineral oils of light viscosity. About 15 years ago there was a big legal battle in the states that allowed these fancy mineral oils to be labelled and marketed at synthetic.
    From the manufacturer's PDF which I linked to in post 11 above:
    PENNASOL SUPER PACE consists entirely of synthetic base oils which meet the high technological demands of the latest engine generation

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭westeire

I bought the oil in Lidl today, maybe it's nationwide??

• Registered Users Posts: 23,267 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What are the specs on the bottle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

was in lidl monaghan today and the oil is already on sale maybe its old stock from a previous special

mickdw wrote: »
    What are the specs on the bottle?
    I suppose Easter is the right time to be a Doubting Thomas... :D

Not your ornery onager

I checked it out and Im not convinced.

I was reading the standards on the back and it says
    VW 505.00, BMW Special VW 505.01,

The lack of a comma and having the BMW in the middle seemed odd. As if they just chucked the standards in without passing them after googling it.

Also, a reason with a good base for doubt, it had VW505.01 on the Part Synthetic oil, what I assumed was semi synth. As far as Im aware VW strictly say no semi synth in their TDI's, only fully synth and specifically the PD TDI which is what the 505.01 standard is for so why would VAG put the 505.01 standard on a semi synth when they say no to it. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ill give it a miss.

I only drive old cheap cars so wouldn't hesitate in lashing the Lidl stuff in my car (but at €5/L for the Lidl stuff I'll stick to the Mobil S 10w40 semi syn that can be gotten for €23 in Halfords from time to time) but if I had a modern pricey motor I would be very slow to use it, unless I was planning on taking it out after 6000 miles, I certainly wouldn't leave it in there for the recommended service interval in miles. It may well not be one of the fancy mineral oils but I wouldn't bank on it.

What Fully Synthetic oil would you recommend for my 1.4Tdi VW engine?
    Mobil 1 ??
    Due and oil/filter change soon and only want to use good stuff

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    Mobil 1 ??

Wouldn't have a clue to be honest. The modern VW diesel engines require really good stuff, I have heard absolute horror stories of what happens the 150hbp 1.9 when the correct oil is not used (didn't understand the ins and outs of it but essentially wrecked engine was the jist of the story). According to the Castrol website for the 1.4TDi VW Castrol Edge 5w30 fully synthetic is the correct oil (€54.99 in Halfords for 4L).

Halfords recommend 5w30 fully synthetic too, both their own brand (€51.99 for 5L with an 8 piece screwdriver set free at the mo) and the Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 (€59.99 for 4L & €64.99 for 5L).

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/EngineOilGuidedSalesCmd?action=findEngineOils&amountRequired=fullService&storeId=10001&catalogId=10151&categoryId=165581&langId=-1&engineInd=1&makeName=50&modelName=5001&dvlaYear=52&subset=5001300&x=17&y=15

Interestingly they don't recommend the Castrol product at all even though they do stock it, either VW don't recommend it or their is some politics going on.

The Mobil is the same price ish if you need 5L, I'd go for that I reckon with a nice Mann filter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Stoolbend

Mobil 1 ??

Castrol edge. It's either 0W/30 or 5W/30 specifically for vw engines. If you're doing it youself it's worth spending the bit extra on the oil for the newer engines.(just my opinion)!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

bbk wrote: »
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Ill give it a miss.
    I'll have a look tomorrow. Lots of oils claim to "meet or exceed standards of" x, y and z, without actually being certified.

The Mobil is the same price ish if you need 5L, I'd go for that I reckon with a nice Mann filter.

I like the sound of Mobil 1 ..!
    Do halfords stock Mann filters?
    barry81 wrote: »
    Castrol edge. It's either 0W/30 or 5W/30 specifically for vw engines. If you're doing it youself it's worth spending the bit extra on the oil for the newer engines.(just my opinion)!

Yes indeed.
    I would only use the better oil.
    Much cheaper than fixing the engine. I want it right for the next owner as well this year.
    Cheers guys

I like the sound of Mobil 1 ..!
    Do halfords stock Mann filters?

I don't think so, I never noticed them there, they come in distinctive green and yellow boxes (they used to anyway). Some factors stock them, quite a few garages and mechanics won't put anything else on a VAG car.

I don't think so, I never noticed them there, they come in distinctive green and yellow boxes (they used to anyway). Some factors stock them, quite a few garages and mechanics won't put anything else on a VAG car.

Good stuff
    Thanks

Mobil 1 ??

Indeed, your TDI is I think a pump dusse TDI so Im pretty sure it needs VW 505.01 spec oil. Dont quote me on that but if your car handbook has the oil specs listed for the engine, which it should and it does have 505.01 then look hard for good quality oil and take note of the specs. Oils that meet the VW505.00 standard are not suitable. It seems to be a hard one to find. I use an older TDI so I dont need that particular standard but I work in a shop that sells oil and Ive begun turning people away when they look for oil for their pump dusse engines because we cant stock and it seems to be an oil that is pretty rare.

The following is a list of approved VW oil that meets the 505.01 standard, however it is for the US market so I dunno how the brands translate over here. And as you can see the copy and paste job I did has the copyright info showing its from 2007.

AD Parts AD SDI SAE 5W-40
    Addinol Addinol Light MV 0546 PD SAE 5W-40
    Adnoc Adnoc Pearl SAE 5W-40
    Agip IP SINTIAX 505 EXCLUSIV SAE 5W-40
    Agip Agip 7004 SAE 5W-40
    Armorine Couguar SAE 5W-40
    Avia AVIA TDi 505.01 SAE 5W-40
    BP BP Visco Special V SAE 5W-40
    Bucher AG MOTOREX Select LA-X SAE 5W-30
    Carat Carat ad-Diesel PD-Oil SAE 5W-40
    Cartechnic CARTECHNIC Motorenöl Pumpe-Düse SAE 5W-40
    Castrol Castrol SLX 505 01 SAE 5W-40
    Castrol Castrol SLX Professional VW 50501 SAE 5W-40
    Castrol Castrol GTX Magnatec SAE 5W-30
    Castrol Castrol GTX Magnatec C3 SAE 5W-30
    Castrol Castrol Magnatec C3 SAE 5W-30
    Castrol Castrol Magnatec Professional C3 SAE 5W-30
    Castrol Castrol SLX Professional OE SAE 5W-30
    Castrol Castrol Magnatec Professional SAE 5W-40
    Castrol Castrol Magnatec Professional B4 SAE 5W-40
    Cepsa Cepsa Star TDI synt SAE 5W-40
    De Oliebron TOR Specialsynth SAE 5W-40
    Denicol Denicol Pro Syn 4 SAE 5W-40
    Elf Elf Excellium DID SAE 5W-40
    Elf Elf Excellium DID SAE 5W-40
    Elf Elf Excellium C3 SAE 5W-30
    Elf Elf Solaris LSX SAE 5W-30
    Elf Elf Excellium DID SAE 5W-30
    Engen Petroleum Engen Formula 505.01 SAE 5W-40
    Esso Esso 505 01 SAE 5W-30
    Eurol Eurol Turbo DI SAE 5W-40
    Eurol Eurol Turbo DI SAE 5W-40
    Fina Fina Delta 505.01 SAE 5W-40
    Fina Fina First 500 SAE 5W-30
    FL Selenia Aktual Top Synth SAE 5W-40
    FL Selenia Pulsar Progress SAE 5W-40
    FL Selenia Selenia Performer SAE 5W-40
    Fuchs Labo Syntha High Tech Synthese SAE 5W-40
    Fuchs TITAN Supersyn PLUS SAE 5W-40
    Galp energia Galp Formula 505 SAE 5W-40
    Ginouves York 742 SAE 5W-40
    GMC Oil GML Oil Eternity TDI SAE 5W-40
    Gulf Oil Gulf TEC Plus SAE 5W-40
    Gulf Oil Gulf Formula ULE SAE 5W-30
    Engine oils which currently meet VW Oil Quality Standard VW 505 01
    Please note: Not all oils listed may be available in North America
    Page 2 of 3 9/11/07
    ©2007 Volkswagen of America, Inc. It has always been Volkswagen's policy to continuously improve its products. Volkswagen, therefore,
    reserves the right to make changes in design and to make additions or improvements to its products without incurring any obligation to
    install them on products previously manufactured. Text and specifications in this Supplement are based on information and knowledge
    available at the time of printing. All rights are Reserved. No Part of this document may be reproduced or translated in whole or in part
    without the written consent of Volkswagen of America, Inc. Specifications are subject to change without notice. If you are not sure which oil
    to use, consult with your authorized Volkswagen Service Advisor.
    Igol Process 505.01 SAE 5W-40
    Kuwait Petroleum Q8 Motoroil 505 01 SAE 5W-40
    Liqui Moly Liqui Moly Diesel High Tech SAE 5W-40
    Liqui Moly Europart Motorenöl Pumpe Düse SAE 5W-40
    Liqui Moly Liqui Moly Nachfüllöl SAE 5W-40
    Liqui Moly Liqui Moly Pro-Engine M 500 SAE 5W-30
    Liqui Moly Liqui Moly Diesel High Tech SAE 5W-40
    Liqui Moly Liqui Moly Nachfüll-Öl SAE 5W-40
    Liqui Moly Liqui Moly Longtime High Tech SAE 5W-30
    Liqui Moly Liqui Moly Pro-Engine M 400 SAE 5W-40
    Liqui Moly Liqui Moly Top Tec 4100 SAE 5W-40
    Lotos Lotos Traffic Diesel 505.01 SAE 5W-40
    Meguin
    megol Motorenoel Super Leichtlauf
    Technology SAE 5W-40
    Meguin
    megol Motorenoel Super Leichtlauf
    Technology SAE 5W-40
    Meguin megol Motorenoel Low Emission SAE 5W-40
    Meguin megol Motorenoel New Generation SAE 5W-30
    Mobil Mobil Syst S Special V SAE 5W-30
    Mobil Tecar 50501 SAE 5W-30
    Modrica Optima Eco SAE 5W-30
    MOL MOL Dynamic Gold SAE 5W-30
    Motul Motul Specific 505 01 SAE 5W-40
    Motul Motul Specific 505 01 502 00 505 01 SAE 5W-40
    Motul Motul 8100 X-clean SAE 5W-40
    MRD Motor Gold Supertec PD SAE 5W-40
    Oel-Brack Midland Synova SAE 5W-40
    OMV OMV syn com diesel SAE 5W-40
    OMV OMV BIXXOL special C3 SAE 5W-30
    Panolin Panolin Daytona SAE 5W-40
    Panolin Panolin Daytona SAE 5W-40
    Paramo Mogul Racing S Pro SAE 5W-40
    Pennzoil Pennzoil Platinum European Ultra Diesel SAE 5W-30
    Pentosin Pentosynth HC SAE 5W-40
    Petrol Petrol 505.01 5W-40 SAE 5W-40
    Quaker State Quaker State Diesel Plus SAE 5W-40
    Rafinerija Modrica Optima 505 01 SAE 5W-40
    Ravensberger
    Schmierstoffvertrieb Ravenol VPD SAE 5W-40
    Redoil Italia Challoils Ultrasynt SAE 5W-40
    Repsol Repsol Elite 50501 TDI SAE 5W-40
    Repsol Repsol Elite 50501 TDI SAE 5W-40
    Rothen Oil Rothen Extrasynth SAE 5W-30
    Shell Shell Helix Diesel Plus VA SAE 5W-40
    Shell Shell Helix Diesel Ultra VA SAE 5W-30
    Shell Shell Helix Ultra AX SAE 5W-30
    Engine oils which currently meet VW Oil Quality Standard VW 505 01
    Please note: Not all oils listed may be available in North America
    Page 3 of 3 9/11/07
    ©2007 Volkswagen of America, Inc. It has always been Volkswagen's policy to continuously improve its products. Volkswagen, therefore,
    reserves the right to make changes in design and to make additions or improvements to its products without incurring any obligation to
    install them on products previously manufactured. Text and specifications in this Supplement are based on information and knowledge
    available at the time of printing. All rights are Reserved. No Part of this document may be reproduced or translated in whole or in part
    without the written consent of Volkswagen of America, Inc. Specifications are subject to change without notice. If you are not sure which oil
    to use, consult with your authorized Volkswagen Service Advisor.
    Shell Q European Engine Ultra Diesel SAE 5W-30
    Shell Shell Helix Diesel Plus VA SAE 5W-30
    SIG Car Jack GPD SAE 5W-40
    Sinopec Blue Spirit SAE 5W-40
    Sonol Sonol Synt 505.01 SAE 5W-40
    SRS Schmierstoff
    Vertrieb Wintershall Leichtlauf-Motorenöl PD SAE 5W-40
    Startol RASANTA SPECIALSYNT SAE 5W-40
    Statoil Statoil SuperWay 505.01 SAE 5W-40
    Statoil Statoil LazerWay C SAE 5W-40
    Sun Oil Sunoco Ultra semi-synthetic SAE 5W-40
    SWD Concep-Tech Synth. SAE 5W-40
    SWD swd Primus Synth. SAE 5W-40
    SWD Concep-Tech Synth. SAE 5W-40
    SWD swd Primus Synth. SAE 5W-40
    SWD GECCO Motorenöl SY SAE 5W-40
    SWD swd PRIMUS DX SAE 5W-30
    Tamoil Tamoil Sint Future Racing PD SAE 5W-40
    Tamoil Tamoil SINT FUTURE EXTRA SAE 5W-40
    Texaco Havoline 505.01 SAE 5W-40
    Total Total Quartz 505.01 SAE 5W-40
    Total Gulf GDI Extra SAE 5W-40
    Total Total Quartz INEO MC3 SAE 5W-30
    Unil Opal Opaljet Futura SAE 5W-40
    Valvoline Valvoline DuraBlend Diesel motor oil SAE 5W-40
    Valvoline Synpower MST SAE 5W-30
    Valvoline Synpower MST SAE 5W-30
    VAPS VAPSOIL 505 01 SAE 5W-40
    Volkswagen Original
    Teile ® Motorenoel G 052 167 A2 SAE 5W-40
    Wolf Wolf Masterlube Synflow PI SAE 5W-40
    Würth Triathlon Special PD SAE 5W-40
    Yacco Yacco VX 505 SAE 5W-40
    Yacco Yacco VX 1703 FAP SAE 5W-40

bbk wrote: »
    Indeed, your TDI is I think a pump dusse TDI so Im pretty sure it needs VW 505.01 spec oil. Dont quote me on that but if your car handbook has the oil specs listed for the engine, which it should and it does have 505.01 then look hard for good quality oil and take note of the specs. Oils that meet the VW505.00 standard are not suitable. It seems to be a hard one to find. I use an older TDI so I dont need that particular standard but I work in a shop that sells oil and Ive begun turning people away when they look for oil for their pump dusse engines because we cant stock and it seems to be an oil that is pretty rare.

The following is a list of approved VW oil that meets the 505.01 standard, however it is for the US market so I dunno how the brands translate over here. And as you can see the copy and paste job I did has the copyright info showing its from 2007.

Wow..!! :eek:

Some selection there
    I must check the book tomorow.
    I should have mentioned it is the 80bhp sport engine as opposed to the normal 70BHP.
    Not sure if this would be a factor.

Thanks for the post ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

bbk wrote:
    I checked it out and Im not convinced.

I was reading the standards on the back and it says

Quote:
    VW 505.00, BMW Special VW 505.01,

Are you sure you were looking at the right bottle?

Specification word for word from the back of the 1 litre bottle.
    Specification: API SM/CF, ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4.
    Approved according to /complies with: VW-norm 502 00,505 00, Porsche, MB 229.3, BMW Longlife-98, Opel GM-LL-B-025

I bought 10 litres of the stuff today, should do the 2 litre petrol engine in the Audi A4 I'm driving for 6500 miles :rolleyes: Used only 10w40 semi-synth before but trying fully synth as an experiment to see if it makes any impact on the engines 1 litre per 1000 miles oil consumption.

• Advertisement

Are you sure you were looking at the right bottle?

Specification word for word from the back of the 1 litre bottle.

I bought 10 litres of the stuff today, should do the 2 litre petrol engine in the Audi A4 I'm driving for 6500 miles :rolleyes: Used only 10w40 semi-synth before but trying fully synth as an experiment to see if it makes any impact on the engines 1 litre per 1000 miles oil consumption.

What I quoted was word for word of that little section so it must have been a different bottle then what you were talking about.

All that was there was 4 or 5 litre "Part Synthetic" stuff. Once I read what I typed in my post I lost any faith in the stuff.

Advertisement