Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Can you get motor tax anywhere?

Options
  • 30-03-2010 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭

Renting in Dublin and have my car registered in Louth (home). Can I get the car taxed in any motor tax office in Dublin (I don't have a renewal pin)? Or does it have to be the local tax office to where the car is registered (i.e. Dundalk)?

Sorry if this was asked before but i couldn't find a definite answer anywhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭chiefwiggum

local office im afaid pal

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

9 times out of 10 it has to be taxed in the local office to where you lived when you registered the car.

If log book says you live/lived at dundalk when you bought the car you must tax it there, or fill in a home owner change of address form. ( I think you fill in your new home details and tick the change of address box on the log book and send it to Shannon )

Sometimes you can get someone nice behind the counter who's in a good mood and will just process it for you. I got it done twice in Nutgrove by 2 nice ladies even tho car is registered for Longford where I live. I was in dub working and it was easier to do it in Nutgrove when I didn't have my renewal pin.

Also if you're trying the pretty please with a cherry on top approach in your renting local office, try to go to a young looking girl who might be only in the job a few weeks. That's the girls who did it for me :D

I suspect they were fairly new and didn't know they could refuse me etc :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

post it off...

wouldn't it just be posted to his home address so he'll have to go there anyway? This way he can go there and be done in one day rather than go and see if it arrived by post. Assuming that is no one is in the home address.

If someone is there of course they could either post it to you or let you know it's there and you can collect. Personally I'd like to go and get it done in 1 day, just take the time and go to the office.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Jemmy

You can get it online too... www.motortax.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭mal1

Nightmare. Might just have to go home for it. That's a pain.

The old owner has the renewal form so I don't have the PIN number to renew it online.

I don't fancy going down the postal route..

In Japan, no, they don't have cars.

Jemmy wrote: »
    You can get it online too... www.motortax.ie

Read the first post again.

Wrong thread?

• Advertisement

mal1 wrote: »

The old owner has the renewal form so I don't have the PIN number to renew it online.

Your most likely outcome would be to drive hom and do it. Quickest and easiest way without the pin in your situtation. You can try asking in your now local office but most likely to be told no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭SpringerF

There is something about the vin ? number of the car and the number of times it has been taxed.

I think that is how the pin is calculated.

Is this what the OP is looking for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭Tefral

The PIN number is the last six characters of your vehicle's chassis number as printed on RF100 form.

I got mine taxed in Nutgrove and my car is registered in Limerick. The guy felt sorry for me that i had waited, so he put it through. I hadnt known at that point that it had to be the local office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,266 ✭✭✭alias no.9

You can do a change of address combined with taxing it, there's a space on the form for the new address. If you really want to you can send off the new registration cert to change it back to the old address whenever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

cronin_j wrote: »
    The PIN number is the last six characters of your vehicle's chassis number as printed on RF100 form.

That's only for first taxation after registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Get someone at home to go in to the tax office & buy the tax for you. They can then post you the disc. I dont understand what the big problem is?

mickdw wrote: »
    Get someone at home to go in to the tax office & buy the tax for you. They can then post you the disc. I dont understand what the big problem is?

I asked a question, i got an answer. No big problem. Thanks for your pointless post.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,281 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Well this was your previous post so it did seem like its a major problem pain to you.

I gave a suggestion that I believe is helpful... get someone else to walk into the office at home & get it.

Now I dont know whether the actual owner is supposed to go in themselves but if so, it is not enforced & anyone can pick it up. This suggestion does seem to be the most reasonable.
    No journey home required, no messing in other tax offices.

Yawns wrote: »
    Read the first post again.

Yea and read just below your smart comment Yawns :rolleyes:

If you can do it online OP it would be easier for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Stupit system really, why does it have to be your local office when all the computers are linked, so many people like yourself work away from home. Typical of this country everything has to be complicated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Why not just do it online :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Why not just do it online :confused:

Jese is no-one reading the first post. You need a pin to do it online...he doesn't have a pin!

I had the same problem when I moved to Louth, went to tax the car the first time after I bought it and the woman tried to give me a big moan and lecture about having to do it in a Dublin office.
    I pointed out to her that I am paying the Irish government my road tax not Louth co. co. so why could it possibly make a difference where tax it.
    She practically threw the disk at me:P

Yea and read just below your smart comment Yawns :rolleyes:

If you can do it online OP it would be easier for you.

IF you read the 1st post he says he doesn't have the pin so he CANNOT do it online. I was only telling you to re-read the first post again as you had missed the point that he had no pin, therefore cannot do it online.

Again just for your benefit, HE CANNOT DO IT ONLINE. Got it yet?

IF you read the 1st post he says he doesn't have the pin so he CANNOT do it online. I was only telling you to re-read the first post again as you had missed the point that he had no pin, therefore cannot do it online.

Again just for your benefit, HE CANNOT DO IT ONLINE. Got it yet?

Your attitude is unnecessary here. Where does he say he CANNOT do it online? he doesn't so how about you cool it there. He said he doesn't have the pin but there are ways of calling and getting the pin, therefore he can do it online, then saving him the drive. Got it yet?! :D

Also saves him the hassle of having to try get it out of
    some young looking girl who might be only in the job a few weeks

because that is much better advice. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Your attitude is unnecessary here. Where does he say he CANNOT do it online? he doesn't so how about you cool it there. He said he doesn't have the pin but there are ways of calling and getting the pin, therefore he can do it online, then saving him the drive. Got it yet?! :D

I was under the impression that you request the PIN and they post it out to you - they won't read it out over the phone.

All sounds good until you remember that they post it to the registered address, and then when the disc is posted, that's also posted to the registered address (unless change of address done while taxing). That doesn't sound to me like it will save any time - it would actually be quicker to put in a postal application and get someone from home to post the disc on when it arrives.

The PIN can only be sent to where the car is registered (I believe). I want to tax the car asap so it's not really helping me out. Thanks anyway

Technically you also have to have the NCT with you when you go into the tax office. The NCT cert is with me and the car in Dublin. So going by the book i have to bring the NCT cert to Louth.

It's awkward since i don't like registering anything in Dublin since I have moved residences a lot in the last few years. Prefer to use the one stable address that i have in Louth.

I'm just going to drive home over easter to do it. Thanks for the posts;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

In communist russia, car taxes you

Thought this meant he could not do it online.. I may be wrong tho...

Oh wait, bit of a facepalm moment heading your way

It's awkward since i don't like registering anything in Dublin since I have moved residences a lot in the last few years. Prefer to use the one stable address that i have in Louth.

Your not alone. A lot of people who rent usually use their parents address or if they own a home in galway but work means you'll be temp living for a few month in Dublin, they use the home addy for all important things.

• Advertisement

because that is much better advice. ;)

At least my advice would work better than yours. He can't tax without the pin unless it's the first time the car is being taxed and he can use the vin number. So your advice is absolute useless. My advice has only a 0.00001% chance of working but it's better than 0% like yours.

Advertisement