Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anybody been to Kansas USA?

Options
  • 30-03-2010 4:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

Anybody been to Kansas USA? I googled "things to do in Kansas" and it makes pretty grim reading. ie.

Best places to visit are the Mid-America Air Museum, University of Kansas Natural History Museum and eh that's it. Oh wait the most famous person from Kansas is Kirstie Alley (from Cheers) and the most interisting fact from Kansas is In 1990 Kansas wheat farmers produced enough wheat to make 33 billion loaves of bread, or enough to provide each person on earth with 6 loaves. WOW 6 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! has anybody been? Is it really that interisting?:eek:

http://www.thingstodo.com/states/KS/index.htm
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Storm chasing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

wheat fields.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Oh wait the most famous person from Kansas is Kirstie Alley (from Cheers)

What about Dorothy?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,832 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I wouldnt go live there if I needed a hug or anything

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Kansas_population_map.png

That said it would be pretty bitchin to have 100 acres to yourself. You'd never have to wear clothes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭MaybeLogic

mikom wrote: »
    What about Dorothy?

I don't think she's in Kansas anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭cafecolour

I may have driven through it I don't think it's terribly memorable. It's gonna be mostly fields. Maybe there's a national park or two to explore.

Looking at wikipedia it's about the size of ireland with 2/3rds of the population.

OTOH no one ever visits. Go there with an Irish accent and you'll probably never have to buy a pint and have the pick of the women.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

My friend went there last year to see Kings of Leon. I thought it was kind of an odd place to take a holiday but she really enjoyed it. She loves KOL and she's also pretty interested in anything to do with American culture so..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Wichita can be fun.

Im much more of a mountain guy myself. That much flatland would drive me insane. Puget Sound in WA, thats where its at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭LenaClaire

My grandparents were from Kansas so I have been there many times. Actually the Mid-America air museum is pretty cool if you are into air/space stuff and there are a few towns like Dodge city that have more museums about the old west and such.

Other than that there are little cute towns that have little old stores. But that is about it. If you like looking at wheat fields and old oil rigs then Kansas is the place for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

mikom wrote: »
    What about Dorothy?

Dorothy is certainly something I would want to do in Kansas.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Overheal wrote: »
    Im much more of a mountain guy myself. That much flatland would drive me insane. Puget Sound in WA, thats where its at.

Greetings from Seattle.

Almost 10am on a wet spring morning, so mt.Ranier is hidden but the mountains west on the penninsula are visible just. Not much snow this year so only the tops are covered.

Wichita can be fun.

There's a good opera there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

It is home to the (disputed) world's largest ball of twine - how could you NOT go there!!!! :cool:

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Greetings from Seattle.

Almost 10am on a wet spring morning, so mt.Ranier is hidden but the mountains west on the penninsula are visible just. Not much snow this year so only the tops are covered.
    :D

Only remember it from being a toddler basically. But that was some of the best scenery I've ever seen. San Juan and the Nat'l Parks were somthin else. Deep River Valleys and Rockfaces and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

Truley wrote: »
    It is home to the (disputed) world's largest ball of twine - how could you NOT go there!!!! :cool:

Well in that case........(taps heels together) "theres no place like home, theres no place like home"
    holy Crap

MaybeLogic wrote: »
    There's a good opera there.

And ballet.. Moscow festival ballet are there in late April I think, Century II i seem to remember it's called. Copelia.. will be in Oklahoma City over that period, but prob. a bit too far to to go.

Beautiful theatre

And ballet.. Moscow festival ballet are there in late April I think, Century II i seem to remember it's called. Copelia.. will be in Oklahoma City over that period, but prob. a bit too far to to go.

Beautiful theatre

I was only throwing in a White Stripes reference.
    I think it will come as a surprise to many to find you so cultured.

:eek:

That's an awful thing to say.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Wichita can be fun.

Wichita lking about Willis?

I prefer Randy's cover tbh. We love you Ran-deh!

'The Store' on E Osie St was my fav. bar... lots of very friendly people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Beautiful theatre

You,my friend are finished in Thunderdome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Sofaspud

I heard that there was once a meteor shower in a small town in Kansas, and since then loads of weird things keep happening, teenage supervillians appearing and stuff.

Strangely, a lot of the goings-on seem to have moved to Metropolis in more recent times.

Sofaspud wrote: »
    I heard that there was once a meteor shower in a small town in Kansas, and since then loads of weird things keep happening, teenage supervillians appearing and stuff.

Strangely, a lot of the goings-on seem to have moved to Metropolis in more recent times.

It also took a few big nuke strikes in the Day After

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

Degsy wrote: »

Awful rubbish that film. Much preferred Threads.

bonerm wrote: »
    Awful rubbish that film. Much preferred Threads.

Ah yes..Sheffield got blown up in that one..nasty peice of cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 831 ✭✭✭achtungbarry

I just can't wait for Grand Theft Auto Kansas to come out.......

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,244 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Degsy wrote: »

Wasn't Jericho in Kansas? That was a good show...

I did stop off at the Greyhound museum (The dog, not the bus) in Abilene.

NTM

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

TBH I'd go to Kansas just to hear that guy who shouts "TOUCHDOWN!! KAN-SAS CIT-TY!!!!!"

He Rox!

Advertisement