Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anybody been to Kansas USA?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

TBH I'd go to Kansas just to hear that guy who shouts "TOUCHDOWN!! KAN-SAS CIT-TY!!!!!"

He Rox!

Actually that Kansas City is in Missouri...which is worth a visit, because Kansas City BBQ is AWESOME.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GenericName

I spent 7 weeks working in a town called Ulysses (population 7000). It was bizarre. The scenery looks exactly like the GTA Kansas video on YouTube. Worse, if you attempt to speed the highway patrol comes out of the.. wheatfields.

I went to the Air Museum you mentioned, it's got lots of planes, but was similarly depressing. We were the only people there. The big jets are just rotting away, there more to catch tumbleweed more than anything else. Myself and my colleague would travel 60 miles each way to the next town over getting dinner. Just to break the tedium.

On the plus side, drinks in the only bar in town are cheap. And being a total novelty we were always invited back to house parties. Cocaine fuelled Americans trying to teach us to shoot was an experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭bonerm

I spent 7 weeks working in a town called Ulysses (population 7000). It was bizarre. The scenery looks exactly like the GTA Kansas video on YouTube. Worse, if you attempt to speed the highway patrol comes out of the.. wheatfields.

I imagine the day you left was a case of "yes ... yes .... yes".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

I think I'd prefer the pirate version - Arrrrrrr-kansas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

TBH I'd go to Kansas just to hear that guy who shouts "TOUCHDOWN!! KAN-SAS CIT-TY!!!!!"

He Rox!

You might have to spend a year or two there ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

cafecolour wrote: »
    I may have driven through it I don't think it's terribly memorable. It's gonna be mostly fields. Maybe there's a national park or two to explore.

Looking at wikipedia it's about the size of ireland with 2/3rds of the population.

OTOH no one ever visits. Go there with an Irish accent and you'll probably never have to buy a pint and have the pick of the women.

Eh, no.

Its got less than half the population and is almost three times the size!

Here's something you could so...

Try get a picture of all the state symbols!

(from wikipedia)
    State symbols

* Amphibian: Barred Tiger Salamander
    * Animal: Buffalo
    * Fish: Channel Catfish
    * Bird: Western Meadowlark
    * Flower: Sunflower
    * Insect: European honey bee
    * Motto: Ad astra per aspera, or "To the stars through difficulties"
    * Reptile: Ornate Box Turtle
    * Soil: Harney silt loam
    * Song: "Home on the Range"
    * Tree: cottonwood
    * Seal: Symbols of Commerce (river, steamboat) and agriculture (farmer plowing) Adopted 1861

For the song, learn it, for the seal learn how to draw it and for the motto say it.

Pretty corney but maybe it'll get ye discovering some parts of the place worth seeing!

Advertisement