Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrapage scheme working for skoda dealer

Options
2»

Comments

gurramok wrote: »
    How do you come to that conclusion? You mention 3rd party, you basing it on insurance jobs?
    People do repair their bodywork on cars without being in an accident, I did.

Yes a new car might have minor work, that just proves my point that there is not much money there for the panel beater as the frequency of that bodywork being damaged is low in contrast to the high frequency of a 2nd car needing work done.

Under what circumstances would a car require a panel beater or spray painter (they have been different trades now for donkeys years but no doubt that you know that ;) ) if it has not been in an accident ? Rust, car park dings etc most of which (most) folks with 10 year old cars couldn't be arsed repairing. Taking a few thousand 10 year old cars off the road will not effect body shops in the slightest.

Now can you outline how the volume of work for panel beaters is more on new cars straight off the ferry than on cars already on the road?

Can you outline how the opposite is true ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

There are people who work in the Irish motor industry that work in the support sector (Panel beaters etc ). This is the first time I heard someone saying that they feel a new vehicle purchase program will have an effect on the motor support industry.

I would go further and say the scrappage scheme is bad for the support sector. An independant mechanic is far less likely to get to work on a 2010 Renault covered by a 5-year warranty than a 10 year old Fiesta.

I would have thought a 2010 car gettting a ding would go straight to the main dealer to get the work done, especially if it's covered by insurance. For the average indy mechanic the scrappage scheme was definitely a bad deal.

Cionád wrote: »

I would have thought a 2010 car gettting a ding would go straight to the main dealer to get the work done, especially if it's covered by insurance.

And most main dealers have bodyshops now do they ?
    Most of the main dealers in Cork City use one of three bodyshops for their work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

RoverJames wrote: »
    And most main dealers have bodyshops now do they ?
    Most of the main dealers in Cork City use one of three bodyshops for their work.

Panel beating may be an exception, but as a rule indie's were screwed imo.

Often main dealers will just replace the part.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

So dealerships have to hire more panel beaters in this example to cope with the increased workload. I never mentioned whether the panel beater would be working for a main dealer or an indy, I simply said IMO there is more work when newer cars hit the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Under what circumstances would a car require a panel beater or spray painter (they have been different trades now for donkeys years but no doubt that you know that ;) ) if it has not been in an accident ? Rust, car park dings etc most of which (most) folks with 10 year old cars couldn't be arsed repairing. Taking a few thousand 10 year old cars off the road will not effect body shops in the slightest.

Cars do run into pillars, bollards etc as well you know :) You mention 10yr old cars, its not specific to that age for repair. It can be anywhere from 1 yr to 20yrs.
    Anyone who spent alot on a car will want to keep it in tip top shape during its ownership for whatever reason(for future sale) until its no longer economically viable. (car model lovers will repair them anyway :))
    Can you outline how the opposite is true ?
    Does it not make sense to you? How many cars do have panel damage coming off the ferry as to opposed to those already on the road?

And remember, the vast majority of cars in the nations fleet are 2nd hand, not new hence a huge market for panel beaters right there.

I worked in a motor factors back in the 90s, none of the independent mechanics thought it had effected their business, admittedly most had a customer or two that scrapped a car and bought a new one. Indy garages work on loads of cars every day, even one man shows wouldn't be bothered by losing 10 customers to the scrappage scheme. For every customer lost there is someone else with a 4 or 5 year old car getting fed up of main dealer costs.

Does it not make sense to you? How many cars do have panel damage coming off the ferry as to opposed to those already on the road?

And remember, the vast majority of cars in the nations fleet are 2nd hand, not new hence a huge market for panel beaters right there.

But you seem to forget that todays new cars will be on the road for years, they aren't just a flash in the pan bit of business they will increase business for years to come :confused:

KamiKazi wrote: »
    But you seem to forget that todays new cars will be on the road for years, they aren't just a flash in the pan bit of business they will increase business for years to come :confused:

Thats a waiting game. Whats happening now is a chunk of 2nd hand 10yr old plus cars been scrapped for new ones. Those owners that would be cared to repair a 10yr old car are lost business until their new '10 cars get damaged in a few yrs time.
    Thats a few yrs lost work for those panel beaters, understand?

• Advertisement

Cars do run into pillars, bollards etc as well you know :) You mention 10yr old cars, its not specific to that age for repair. It can be anywhere from 1 yr to 20yrs.
    Anyone who spent alot on a car will want to keep it in tip top shape during its ownership for whatever reason(for future sale) until its no longer economically viable. (car model lovers will repair them anyway :))

:rolleyes:

I mention ten year olds as they are the ones eligable for scrappage you know :)

New cars run into pillars and bollards too, that's called an accident btw ;)

Thats a waiting game. Whats happening now is a chunk of 2nd hand 10yr old plus cars been scrapped for new ones. Those owners that would be cared to repair a 10yr old car are lost business until their new '10 cars get damaged in a few yrs time.
    Thats a few yrs lost work for those panel beaters, understand?

No.

Take two cars, one new, one over ten years old.

They both have the same likely of being damaged.

KamiKazi wrote: »
    No.

Take two cars, one new, one over ten years old.

They both have the same likely of being damaged.

How?
    The new one has not hit the road yet, the only damage would be in-house and as stated by other posters would be minor and have low frequency of damage.

The 10yr old one has 10yrs road usage on it. That to me is a higher frequency of damage and higher frequency of that damage needing major repair for a panel beater to fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭FGR

I'm waiting on a car from this particular dealer.

I was originally quoted 6-8 weeks for the car (late February) however I'm having severe doubts due to big demand being there for Skodas throughout Europe.

Here's hoping I'm wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭Erren Music

I reckon everyone working in a garage, panel beaters, spraypainters, auto sparks, motor factors, accessory shop, breakdown business etc are all in the motor trade. I think the pros of the scrappage scheme outweigh the cons.

What happens when scrappage stops, will potential buyers wait to buy later for further price reductions. I think the car game is going the way of the building game.

What happens when scrappage stops, will potential buyers wait to buy later for further price reductions. I think the car game is going the way of the building game.

Who knows, the scrappage scheme definitely encouraged people to go out and spend money, cars were sold that otherwise would not have been.

Advertisement