Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Scrapage scheme working for skoda dealer

Options
  • 30-03-2010 3:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Hi,
    I rang a skoda dealer in cork city asking about a new skoda fabia combi or a skoda roomster as I read all good reviews about both and I need the room.
    I was told that all current models of both were sold and there are new models coming out ,,,but in two-three months.
    He went on to say that 192 skoda fabia combies were sold already this year up to mid march and that 172 were sold for the whole of 2009.
    The scrappage scheme certainly seems to be working for skoda.
    If anyone wants to confirm this PM me and I will give you the tel' number of said garage .
    Hopefully we won't see any more job losses in the motor industry:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

I know who you're talking about and they seem to have been getting a lot of deliveries of new cars...and I'm not even home that much to notice it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Entirely believeable, Motorcheck says that we're nearly on 40,000 new car sales this year(39,389 up to yesterday, last year was just over 55,000 for the entire year), already 10,000 extra cars have been sold compared to the same period last year and new car sales are now up 36% on the same period last year.

The SIMI will be even more happy that used imports are down 31% on the same period last year too, though to be fair a lot of the manufacturers have dropped new prices to something more in line with the UK(after VRT is added) with knock on effects in the used car market.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Fairly nice dealer actually. Nice showroom and a polite salesman to boot. He gave me a great price on a car and them my boss decided to give me a hand me down and later a P45. :rolleyes:

But the scrappage scheme. It's like a bond really through the government which is only going to be passed back onto us in so shape or form if we notice it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

Doesn't suprise me on the dealer in question. I've had a fair bit of dealings with them over the years both in the trade and in retail sales. They've been there a long time and have built up a very strong customer basis. they were also one of the last to build a glass palace and and, i'd imagine as a result were able to put more of their own money into it rather than the banks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

That's very true. They operated out of portacabins for about 20 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of the scrappage, I'd use it myself if I had an old banger and have friends who've used it. Pisses me off though that my tax money is subsidising car sales with zero benefit to either the Irish economy or environment. The SIMI must have incriminating pictures of Lenihan giving Cowen a BJ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

pburns wrote: »
    I don't blame anyone for taking advantage of the scrappage, I'd use it myself if I had an old banger and have friends who've used it. Pisses me off though that my tax money is subsidising car sales with zero benefit to either the Irish economy or environment. The SIMI must have incriminating pictures of Lenihan giving Cowen a BJ...

You would care though if you started hearing of similar cars being traded in to the ones that were under the UK scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,675 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Seriously?

The €1,500 scrappage is a VRT rebate. For every new car sold the Government is still making all of the VAT (and I think €320 of VRT minimum). Without the scrappage scheme I'd say we would have seen nowhere near as many new car sales as we have had - it's a NET gain for the Irish economy unless I'm missing something.

That's not to mention the Tax those in the Motor Industry are paying while in work, rather than being on the scratcher. Seems win, win to me.

On a seperate note, got 3 New Skoda's in last Tuesday morning and on Tuesday afternoon had 3 of the happiest drivers I've seen in a long while coming in to pick them up. They were truly all absolutley delighted.

One was going from a Vectra 1.9 150ps Club to an Octavia VRs TDI, so you can see why he was happy :p

One going from an Octavia L&K 2.0TDI DSG in to a Superb Elegance 2.0TDi 170 with upgraded wheels, sunroof, tinted rear windows and Sports Suspension.

Last one was going in to a Superb to the exact same spec as above (different colour though) and coming out of an 08 Audi A4 2.0TDi 143 in White with Sports Suspension. Beaming as he left he was.

First of the 2010 spec Elegance models I've seen and the specification is unbelievable. Memory drivers seats, heated seats in the rear and I tried the self parking system, which is a great party piece. Will probably only be used to show off, but brought a huge smile to my face.

Another 4 Skoda's still to come - 2 Superb Ambtions in transit, 2 Octavia Elegance DSG's haven't got build dates yet after 8 weeks though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

I think boards should start charging commission. Everytime comes on looking for suggestions on a new car, the Octavia and Superb always seem to be at the top (or near the top) of the list.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Entirely believeable, Motorcheck says that we're nearly on 40,000 new car sales this year(39,389 up to yesterday

Where did you get the info? Motorcheck seems to have only Jan-Feb updated on their stats page...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

R.O.R wrote: »
    Seriously?
    The €1,500 scrappage is a VRT rebate. For every new car sold the Government is still making all of the VAT (and I think €320 of VRT minimum). Without the scrappage scheme I'd say we would have seen nowhere near as many new car sales as we have had - it's a NET gain for the Irish economy unless I'm missing something.

Raises tax revenue yeah, but hardly lucrative once VRT out of the equation. Anyway it's still money from inside the country going to the exchequer (and relatively sweet fok all at that) whilst €€€€€s are being sent OUT to Germany, France, Korea etc.
    R.O.R wrote: »
    That's not to mention the Tax those in the Motor Industry are paying while in work, rather than being on the scratcher. Seems win, win to me.

First of all we don't have a motor 'industry'. It could be more properly described a motor retail trade. And it is a trade that was over-inflated during the boom. I'm not convinced that we are not artifically sustaining the unsustainable (at great cost). We have enough nooses around our necks without the government caving in to the SIMI and selling it an an economic (FF) and environmental (Greens) masterstroke...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

A lot of taxi drivers are getting the new Octavia under this scheme.

First of all we don't have a motor 'industry'. It could be more properly described a motor retail trade.

I reckon everyone working in a garage, panel beaters, spraypainters, auto sparks, motor factors, accessory shop, breakdown business etc are all in the motor trade. I think the pros of the scrappage scheme outweigh the cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Cionád wrote: »
    Where did you get the info? Motorcheck seems to have only Jan-Feb updated on their stats page...

Motorcheck email me daily updates, it's just the car sales compared to the same period last year and 2008, no info re manufacturers etc, anyone can subscribe to it if they wish.

What I can tell you is that nearly as many cars have been sold this month as last month, ~10,500 up to the 29th compared to 12,310 for all of February.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I reckon everyone working in a garage, panel beaters, spraypainters, auto sparks, motor factors, accessory shop, breakdown business etc are all in the motor trade. I think the pros of the scrappage scheme outweigh the cons.

Thats a con. Their business is 2nd hand cars, not new cars. They are going to be decimated.

gurramok wrote: »
    Thats a con. Their business is 2nd hand cars, not new cars. They are going to be decimated.

No cars require the services of the above before they change hands no? :rolleyes:

KamiKazi wrote: »
    No cars require the services of the above before they change hands no? :rolleyes:

What for new cars? Since when do you need a panel beater for a new car?:rolleyes:

What for new cars? Since when do you need a panel beater for a new car?:rolleyes:

Which is more likely to recieve attention from a panel beater?

1. A car only a few months old with a typical car park small ding

or

2. A fifteen year old car with the same ding.

And occasionally new cars get damaged in transit from their country of origin and see a panel beater before they see the showroom.

Which is more likely to recieve attention from a panel beater?

1. A car only a few months old with a typical car park small ding

or

2. A fifteen year old car with the same ding.

And occasionally new cars get damaged in transit from their country of origin and see a panel beater before they see the showroom.

The older car requires more work as it collects more dings in its lifetime than a new car hence more labour for the beater.
    The ding factor is significantly more frequent for a car on the road than one yet to hit the road hence 2nd hand cars provide greater volume of work for the panel beater.

• Advertisement

You didn't answer my question.

The car just out of the showroom is more likely to get fixed up, no?

You didn't answer my question.

The car just out of the showroom is more likely to get fixed up, no?

What makes you think that? Anyone who wants their car fixed(undinged!) will want an A1 job done on it be it a new car for sale from the garage or a 2nd car hand car for sale from a private seller.
    The job has to be top notch in both cases, why would any of them be less likely to get fixed up?

It still does not warrant a scrappage scheme for this section of the motor trade as the panel beater loses out in the volume of work available.

No, people who buy fifteen year old cars generally don't expect them to be in showroom condition and as a result are unlikely to spend a few hundred quid fixing up a car that's probably not worth much more than €1000.

Yes a person who wants their car to be perfect will have it repaired regardless, but these people are more likely to buy new than buy a car from the mid 90s.

And what are the chances of a 15yr old car being for sale compared to a 5yr old car? (hint: volume)

Any car from '09 back to '95 itself is a market for the panel beater with greater jobs needed for the workers hence more panel beaters required.
    A new '10 car is very less likely for have damage on it and if there is damage its likely to be less than that of the 2nd hand car hence it produces hell of alot less work for the panel beater.

And what are the chances of a 15yr old car being for sale compared to a 5yr old car? (hint: volume)

Any car from '09 back to '95 itself is a market for the panel beater with greater jobs needed for the workers hence more panel beaters required.
    A new '10 car is very less likely for have damage on it and if there is damage its likely to be less than that of the 2nd hand car hence it produces hell of alot less work for the panel beater.

I disagree with your point entirely. Loads of old cars on the road with dents and scratches don't present much opportunity to panel beaters etc unless they have received a slap from a 3rd party. A new car is much more likely to have minor bodywork done.

RoverJames wrote: »
    I disagree with your point entirely. Loads of old cars on the road with dents and scratches don't present much opportunity to panel beaters etc unless they have received a slap from a 3rd party. A new car is much more likely to have minor bodywork done.

How do you come to that conclusion? You mention 3rd party, you basing it on insurance jobs?
    People do repair their bodywork on cars without being in an accident, I did.

Yes a new car might have minor work, that just proves my point that there is not much money there for the panel beater as the frequency of that bodywork being damaged is low in contrast to the high frequency of a 2nd car needing work done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

There are people who work in the Irish motor industry that work in the support sector (Panel beaters etc ). This is the first time I heard someone saying that they feel a new vehicle purchase program will have an effect on the motor support industry.

It wont do it any harm, but it's not going to give it any boost. As was said already before on this forum many times, this "scrappage scheme" is only a temporary relief which is sending cash straight out of the country.

The whole strategic idea of a government incentive program is to spark off a chain reaction to kick start a few sectors of employment. The Irish incentive program is built to keep many businesses going when they are not viable.

What the support sector of the IMI needs is a normal economy. Not a depressed one.

You're still oblivious to the fact that in the real world the newer the car is the more likely it is to be maintained as well as possible.

You're still oblivious to the fact that in the real world the newer the car is the more likely it is to be maintained as well as possible.

Nope. I did state that it will be maintained aka A1 if you want to quote me.

Now can you outline how the volume of work for panel beaters is more on new cars straight off the ferry than on cars already on the road?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Most if not all new car support business goes straight back to these busineses which are being kept going when they are not viable in the already mentioned "scrappage scheme".

But there are some special support trades which I guess might benefit and maybe a panel beater is one. But almost all other trades like independent garages, performance garages, HGV garages etc will not benefit from this scrappage scheme. They need a flourishing economy and not people sending money to Germany and keep certain Irish businesses temporarily going.

Advertisement