Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JaMarcus Russell at 290 pounds

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

The Raiders statement makes you wonder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

f1dan wrote: »
    2 of the side effects of codeine addiction are apparently weight gain and lethargy.

Interesting.
    But the question is what happens if you already are lethargic and overweight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Hazys wrote: »

Yeah I think they are missing a zero:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Yeah I think they are missing a zero:P
    I think they wrote LBs when they meant KGs

:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

No longer on the Nighthawks Roster:

http://www.ufl-football.com/omaha-nighthawks/player-roster

Seems they have dropped him already haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The UFL pick any available player, there is no obligation on a player to ever show up at their facility, not unless they want to and sign a contact

Frank Walker, CB for the Ravens got cut and then picked by an UFL team.
    He laughed about it on the website and no way would he go play UFL, was beneath him
    Joke is on him as no NFL team will sign him.

Wasn't that bad a CB, very physical and did well in the playoffs but he was a magnet for pass interference calls.

The UFL pick any available player, there is no obligation on a player to ever show up at their facility, not unless they want to and sign a contact

Frank Walker, CB for the Ravens got cut and then picked by an UFL team.
    He laughed about it on the website and no way would he go play UFL, was beneath him
    Joke is on him as no NFL team will sign him.

Wasn't that bad a CB, very physical and did well in the playoffs but he was a magnet for pass interference calls.

Kind of sums up how rubbish the UFL is. Their Goal sounded unique in the beginning now they are clearly just winging it.

Explanation for those who haven't read it.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/16/ufl-explains-that-players-listed-on-rosters-may-not-actually-be-on-rosters/
    Well, the UFL finally has addressed the curious presence on Omaha Nighthawks' roster of various former NFL players who have not yet agreed to play for the team, including quarterback JaMarcus Russell, the first pick in the 2007 draft.

Though some of the men haven't signed contracts, the Nighthawks have secured dibs on the players, via the UFL draft or otherwise. And so the Nighthawks have placed the men on the roster.

Other UFL teams are apparently doing the same thing.

"Players listed on UFL rosters are a combination of signed and unsigned players," the league said in a release. "Teams own the UFL rights to the players listed on their respective roster provided they are not signed to another professional team's roster."

That's fine. But the rosters need to point out this distinction. Though some would argue that it's no different than an NFL team listing unsigned draft picks on its roster, NFL draft picks almost always sign with the team that holds their rights. For the UFL, targeting various free agents who are not under currently contract with NFL teams, but who presumably would like to be, looks more like a list to be recited while sitting on the lap of a large man in a red suit who smells like beef and cheese.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 UALacrosse

He has been a bust ever since he got out of college.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

@UALacrosse, How? What if he was good?

• Advertisement

Your question makes no sense what so ever. What if he was good? Then he would not be a bust. He has not ever had a good season, which I know is hard to have with the Raiders, but nevertheless he has not produced, which is expected from the number 1 pic in the draft. Therefore he is a bust...

UALacrosse wrote: »
    He has been a bust ever since he got out of college.
    Your question makes no sense what so ever. What if he was good? Then he would not be a bust. He has not ever had a good season, which I know is hard to have with the Raiders, but nevertheless he has not produced, which is expected from the number 1 pic in the draft. Therefore he is a bust...

Yeah but you stated that the moment he left college that he was a bust. I've heard a few say this and hindsight's a beautiful thing but you don't explain.

Peyton Manning had a sh!t first season and look what he developed into.

Russell could have had a bad first season and then developed but your thing is saying since the moment he left college he was a bust. Just don't understand it.

Have to agree with Reacher Creature. To say JMR was a bust the second he left college is flawed.

He *Had* potential but blew it as he was a fat lazy sap who held out on a contract and got fat and most likely as it turns out was taking codeine by the bucket load.

Had he had a better attitude and worked his a$$ off he could have had a better career and succeeded. But of course hindsight is a wonderful thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

He was never good in college in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I listen to the ESPN Football Today podcasts and they bring in Coach Martinez every few weeks.
    QB coach and Tom Brady brings him in for personal tutoring so gotta respect that
    He also worked extensivly with JMR, he realy is a fascinating person to listen to as he breaks down the QB position
    Tom Martinez is a nationally renowned quarterbacks coach, and has been the personal tutor for Tom Brady since Brady's teen years. He worked closely with eventual No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell prior to the 2007 NFL Draft, and believes Russell's career is salvageable.

Martinez says Russell didn't ruin himself. The Raiders did it.

"He was never wanted there by any of the coaches," Martinez told Kristian R. Dyer of the New York Times. "The only one who wanted him there was Al Davis. ... Al Davis told them to draft him. He was the epitome of an Al Davis quarterback."

Martinez also noted that, during contract negotiations, the Raiders spoiled Russell by paying him $4 million more than Russell was asking for rather than meeting in the middle.

As for Russell's sssslow development, Martinez blames the supporting cast Davis assembled. Martinez pointed to weak offensive linemen, "receivers who don't know how to get open, who don't know how to separate," and misuse of running backs in the passing game.

I can see the point.
    However, coming to end of last season they brought in Gradowski and the team immediately improved, the players seemed to respond. Bruuuuuce!
    I'm not saying JMR is getting overly harsh treatment here. He needed a wake up call.
    I do believe he has a future in the NFL. He may have to feck off to CFL for a few seasons first but he is young and I reckon he'll be a starter in the NFL yet

@ReacherCreature- Yes Peyton Manning did have a bad first year, but after that he was able to turn it around. If he was not able to turn it around then he would be a bust as well. Russel had 3 seasons to work and be able to turn it around, but never did. I understand the Raiders are not the most ideal team to go to, but they are still an NFL team. Russel is a talented player, not going to deny that as he showed in college, but he has never lived up to that talent in the NFL. I just believe that if you are the number 1 pick in the NFL draft and are getting paid a ridiculous amount of money you should show some motivation to work hard and get better, none of which Russel did. So, yes, in my mind he has been a bust since he has gotten out of college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I listen to the ESPN Football Today podcasts and they bring in Coach Martinez every few weeks.
    QB coach and Tom Brady brings him in for personal tutoring so gotta respect that
    He also worked extensivly with JMR, he realy is a fascinating person to listen to as he breaks down the QB position

I can see the point.
    However, coming to end of last season they brought in Gradowski and the team immediately improved, the players seemed to respond. Bruuuuuce!
    I'm not saying JMR is getting overly harsh treatment here. He needed a wake up call.
    I do believe he has a future in the NFL. He may have to feck off to CFL for a few seasons first but he is young and I reckon he'll be a starter in the NFL yet

Hardly surprising to see someone who coached him push all the blame away from his skills(or lack of) onto the team.

@ReacherCreature- Yes Peyton Manning did have a bad first year, but after that he was able to turn it around. If he was not able to turn it around then he would be a bust as well. Russel had 3 seasons to work and be able to turn it around, but never did. I understand the Raiders are not the most ideal team to go to, but they are still an NFL team. Russel is a talented player, not going to deny that as he showed in college, but he has never lived up to that talent in the NFL. I just believe that if you are the number 1 pick in the NFL draft and are getting paid a ridiculous amount of money you should show some motivation to work hard and get better, none of which Russel did. So, yes, in my mind he has been a bust since he has gotten out of college.

I agree but your posts are being taken out of context to what I'm arguing. Even if he had a good/bad campaign in college calling him a bust the minute he leaves college is harsh. With the benefit of hindsight you can say he was rubbish but at this stage he hadn't played a down in the NFL and you're labelling him a bust.

OK honestly I think this is a really stupid argument. Since he has been in the league for over three years I have the ability of hindsight, which allows me to call him a bust since he left college. It is not like he just got out of college this year and I am calling him a bust. He has been given a chance and he has not produced since he has gotten out of college... making him a bust since he left college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Really pushing Ryan Leaf for "Biggest bust of all time" tag <insert Lola Ferrari joke here> . Leaf had some kind of run in with the law over drugs too iirc. Possibly not the Purple Drank though.

• Advertisement

Juan Pablo wrote: »
    Really pushing Ryan Leaf for "Biggest bust of all time" tag <insert Lola Ferrari joke here> . Leaf had some kind of run in with the law over drugs too iirc. Possibly not the Purple Drank though.

Prescribed Drugs i.e Vicodin.

Juan Pablo wrote: »

Leaf vs. Russell, now that'd be spectacular!

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭bobby wade

I agree but your posts are being taken out of context to what I'm arguing. Even if he had a good/bad campaign in college calling him a bust the minute he leaves college is harsh. With the benefit of hindsight you can say he was rubbish but at this stage he hadn't played a down in the NFL and you're labelling him a bust.

No hindsight required , I told ya before the draft he'd be a bust ;)

Advertisement