Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

iseegirls wrote: »
    It was such a great place 7/8 years ago. Place would be packed at the weekends, and during the student nights.

Recession happened, and then odd decisions made - like charging people in on the door (something like 3 or 5 euro). Found that it went completely downhill after that.

Now, the place is too big - and unsure if it would ever reach full capacity to make it profitable and not just rely on a Saturday night.

When did the uluru in Ardkeen open? Would that have had impact on the city centre crowd in terms of taking people from the neighbouring towns to Waterford?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The Uluru is open since the late 90's iirc

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 38,050 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

16113988_1204240389631953_7285149546241690389_n.jpg?oh=fb076b4826a3a6434d33bdfb27c4a8f8&oe=59204DCE

very cheap price but i imagine the crowd that it may attract will dampen the promotion a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

PTH2009 wrote: »
    16113988_1204240389631953_7285149546241690389_n.jpg?oh=fb076b4826a3a6434d33bdfb27c4a8f8&oe=59204DCE

very cheap price but i imagine the crowd that it may attract will dampen the promotion a bit
    Dicey's in Dublin do similar for 7 nights a week. If they're pretty strict on the door then it'll be fine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Iv drank in lot of happy hour/ cheap places in the world and Waterford seems to be only place where if something cheap is happening people go "Jesus that will attract a dodgy crowd" and its normally people that never try out the places are the ones saying it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

I'm surprised the Wetherspoons crowd are not taking over the former Harvey's building.
    I was in London last weekend, went to a few of them, really impressed. Food and a drink for around £8.
    I'll be interested to see the one planned for near City Square when it opens.

STIG83 wrote: »
    I'm surprised the Wetherspoons crowd are not taking over the former Harvey's building.
    I was in London last weekend, went to a few of them, really impressed. Food and a drink for around £8.

I went to one in Glasgow last year and it was really impressive and had a huge selection of drinks and food. I didn't knw that weatherspoons varys from area to area

Yeah would have been ideal for Wetherspoons. They must go for a more centric area though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dzilla

The one in Cork is impressive and hopping. I mentioned on another thread that Waterford City Centre is poor for PUB grub and that Wetherspoons would be a game changer for it which didn't go down too well but I am excited for its openning. The building plans are very impressive also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

dzilla wrote: »
    The one in Cork is impressive and hopping. I mentioned on another thread that Waterford City Centre is poor for PUB grub and that Wetherspoons would be a game changer for it which didn't go down too well but I am excited for its openning. The building plans are very impressive also

Link to plans? I've eaten in a few Weatherspoons and have found the food average at best. Grand for filling a gap but nothing special.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭dzilla

tonc76 wrote: »
    dzilla wrote: »

Link to plans? I've eaten in a few Weatherspoons and have found the food average at best. Grand for filling a gap but nothing special.
    Yeah they are the Waterford City Council Planning application - http://www.eplanning.ie/WaterfordCCC/AppFileRefDetails/15710/0 go to the scanned files buttin
    Yes thats what it is, fill a gap nothing special, aka pub grub. You want something special go to a restaurant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,095 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I don't think the owner of the building is in much of a rush to sell anyway (who previously opened it as Eden)

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

debok wrote: »
    Iv drank in lot of happy hour/ cheap places in the world and Waterford seems to be only place where if something cheap is happening people go "Jesus that will attract a dodgy crowd" and its normally people that never try out the places are the ones saying it

TbF.....back when the unmentionable ran masons before the fire dept shut it down......and they used do the promotions nights

I used go there.....never got in any bother....but used see its fair share of fights....but got the feeling these rows would've occurred with or with out drink involved

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Well I have been to Masons and it does attract a dodgy crowd. Last week some cretins were smoking weed in the smoking area and I was nearly fired out because the bouncer thought it was me.

Lower prices = Lowest common denominators coming in.

Well I have been to Masons and it does attract a dodgy crowd. Last week some cretins were smoking weed in the smoking area and I was nearly fired out because the bouncer thought it was me.

Lower prices = Lowest common denominators coming in.

I agree but my point was that in Waterford in particular we seem to have an attitude where if someone tries a promotion or starts a new adventure that provides a cheap alternative the first reaction is negative or it will draw a bad crowd. Everywhere in the world has a bad element but people from here would go on holidays to a place because it has cheap drink or cheap fags. I agree some cheaper things do attract the wrong crowd but in Waterford that's used as an excuse to not do something. Like the park on new street people were against that because would cause wrong people to hang around or covering the apple market . Im just trying to say that because something might atract a bad crowd its no reason not to do a project

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

I agree but my point was that in Waterford in particular we seem to have an attitude where if someone tries a promotion or starts a new adventure that provides a cheap alternative the first reaction is negative or it will draw a bad crowd. Everywhere in the world has a bad element but people from here would go on holidays to a place because it has cheap drink or cheap fags. I agree some cheaper things do attract the wrong crowd but in Waterford that's used as an excuse to not do something. Like the park on new street people were against that because would cause wrong people to hang around or covering the apple market . Im just trying to say that because something might atract a bad crowd its no reason not to do a project

Don't get me wrong, I still love the cheap drinks, but would rather not stay in a place that has scumbags, or children for that matter.

17309631_1882398698710240_5752466740588137763_n.jpg?oh=fe9b7bf204a083004c5f182f1ddd314a&oe=595BFB74

so the Thirsty Scholar has now adapted Masons drink promotion (they have the same owners)

Could be better as its over 23s and theres normally a well behaved crowd that drink there , hopefully it wont attract much scum (obv it will as its cheap)

17309631_1882398698710240_5752466740588137763_n.jpg?oh=fe9b7bf204a083004c5f182f1ddd314a&oe=595BFB74

so the Thirsty Scholar has now adapted Masons drink promotion (they have the same owners)

Could be better as its over 23s and theres normally a well behaved crowd that drink there , hopefully it wont attract much scum (obv it will as its cheap)

Going for students perhaps? Disappointed at how much Waterford has fallen compared to circa 2008 when it was full of vibrancy. Granted we have come through a massive recession and the jobs losses and property crash had huge effect down there. Muldoons was a far better layout then Sinnotts is now though and likewise i preferred Rubys to the Foundry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

To celebrate the re-opening of Rubys/Foundry under new ownership, and because I just feel like it, I thought it worth re-opening the thread
    There’s definitely been a growth in the underground dance music scene here. Central Arts are putting on some great nights as usual, and to a lesser extent Shortts/Project. As well as the Get Down Edits nights at The Reg, Republik Music will be moving to the old Foundry (now Factory) so us underground/alternative heads are spoiled for choice. What about for the chart/commercial people? Is Masons still the main student club? What sort of crowds do the nights in Project get?
    Creation and Waves still operating away here in Dungarvan, chart all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Gardner

To celebrate the re-opening of Rubys/Foundry under new ownership, and because I just feel like it, I thought it worth re-opening the thread
    There’s definitely been a growth in the underground dance music scene here. Central Arts are putting on some great nights as usual, and to a lesser extent Shortts/Project. As well as the Get Down Edits nights at The Reg, Republik Music will be moving to the old Foundry (now Factory) so us underground/alternative heads are spoiled for choice. What about for the chart/commercial people? Is Masons still the main student club? What sort of crowds do the nights in Project get?

the scumbag who now owns Rubys for an american hedge fund put a lot of people and Subcontractors out of business not so long ago and for one shouldn't be supported in anyway. used to love going to the woodman for a late pint but haven't been in there since he took over.

• Advertisement

Gardner wrote: »
    the scumbag who now owns Rubys for an american hedge fund put a lot of people and Subcontractors out of business not so long ago and for one shouldn't be supported in anyway. used to love going to the woodman for a late pint but haven't been in there since he took over.

Who owns it now?

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Is he the fella had the pub on the lower yellow road a few years ago, the toddle i think it was called.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Gardner

Is he the fella had the pub on the lower yellow road a few years ago, the toddle i think it was called.

Spot on

914 wrote: »
    Is this the fella who brought 50 cent to town?

Can his name not be said

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Johnson?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭GowlBagJohnson

Johnson?

Yes it is I the biggest gowler in the Deise

Masons is closed

Really not much for people like me who are not into dance music or are to old for the students places but I suppose the money is in dance/underground/chart acts. I suppose Kazbar upstairs, The Reg and shortts are the places for live music.

Remember we once had a night in the thirsty scholar for a boards beers a few years ago. It's was a grand nignt, not sure how many of the guys there are still active here today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,066 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

What happened the previous owners (the Ts), I used to work in about years ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭radioguru02

Finnbar01 wrote: »
    What happened the previous owners (the Ts), I used to work in about years ago?

Tweedy’s? Think they have a place in Cork now

• Advertisement

I think the new yellowbelly brewery are opening a pub in the old dignity in Johnstown

Advertisement