Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track of the Day

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

I was listening to the James Zabiela Balance mix in the car today, cracking selection to include this acid belter...

One more, ages since I've listened to this belter - it was the opening track to some long forgotten mixtape I had way back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

^^ Sasha played that in his & digweeds set in Dublin a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,989 ✭✭✭waynescales1

Everyone remembers the pop song by Grace (aka Paul Oakenfold). This remix has a bit more edge...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

One of the most incredible remixes of a non-electronic piece of music I've ever heard.

Tom Petty - I Won't Back Down (Hybrid Remix)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,935 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I haven't checked into this thread in ages (except to post the above) but TheAsYLuMkeY, every one of those tracks I absolutely adore. Alchemy, Land of Creation and Hell's Party in particular - all absolute classics :D

This may be in your top 20 and i don't want to turn this into another classics thread, so will limit it to just one.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭TheAsYLuMkeY

Poltergeist - Vicious circles

I know some people will be looking at the tracks I have posted, and probably think….Yaawwwn, been trotted out so many times already.

But I am selecting the absolutely defining tracks for me of that time, this one was played week in week out, even more than once in a night and it never failed to annihilate the place.

The bass melody in this is what makes it way before that unreal siren at 02:19, listen to it again and break it down, its has a pulsing bassline that consists of about ten pulses that is complimented at the end of every bar by a different type of single bass note that vibrates higher and louder, but that rhythm between those two bassline creates so much tension in the track building.

The bassline pulsing is carrying you and giving a ‘slam’ of sorts at the end of each one, this allows you to anticipate its arrival every bar and it use to create that energy between the Ravers facing each other or dancing beside each other that would encourage you to shout out………’Come on’……….’Oh yeh’……….all building to that break down and those unbelievable sirens coming in at 02:19, and holy crap did the place ignite on those sirens, the emotion it generated was incredible, they have such a serious sound and edge to them it was one of those that would define the reason why you came back here every week without fail.

Then it drops out back to those alternating basslines again, but you know full well it is going to let rip again, that second time is at 04:32, but in between there is now another wobbly kind of added sound that gives another dimension to the track, it creates a kind of subtle lowering of the energy of the track to bring you down further than you were at the start only to release that energy again with a greater feeling of lift at the second incarnation of it at 04:32.

Truly, an incredible piece of music in the context of being in a Rave*

*(Rave being different to a club, or even superclubs, those places were when the music was sanitised to be chart appropriate, dress codes and rules were in place, drinks promotions returned a level of the everyday outside into an area that should be completely devoid of it, scantily clad female only dancers on stage brought an element of trying to sexualise something that at its core transcended that)

SuprSi wrote: »
    I haven't checked into this thread in ages (except to post the above) but TheAsYLuMkeY, every one of those tracks I absolutely adore. Alchemy, Land of Creation and Hell's Party in particular - all absolute classics :D

This may be in your top 20 and i don't want to turn this into another classics thread, so will limit it to just one.

To be honest, i am not sure if it would have arrived into my top twenty, but my god it is one amazing track, fits perfectly into that time.

Such sad news to hear that Andy Weatherall passed away, absolute legend, huge loss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Really sad news, the dude was a funky monkey for sure.

Nice obituary in the Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2020/feb/17/andrew-weatherall-lone-swordsman-who-cut-new-shapes-for-british-music

• Registered Users Posts: 3,185 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

One from his Sabrettes label

Such sad news to hear that Andy Weatherall passed away, absolute legend, huge loss.

This was definitely going into my top 20

#13,

House Pimps - Get the hook

Another amazing track,

This one is not one that is bursting with energy, it has a deeper quality to it, one that was what defined the Asylum atmosphere.

If I can take a stab at trying to describe that atmosphere/feeling,

When you were there on that basement floor the entire outside world was stripped away from your mind, all of the social conditioning and programming seemed to be paused, I know this sounds like a tired out cliché about the Rave but its true, you never had any notions of confrontation, ego like I am better than you, or somehow someone else is lesser than you etc., You all seemed to have a common connection that didn’t have to be established or considered, it just happened, without any other distractions, even so far to override the sexual desire between male and female that is so commonly associated with and the purpose nightclubs, when the Rave was in its fullest, you had no interest in performing any mating rituals, only the Music, the Drugs and the connection to other ravers mattered.

Now throw into the mix a track like this at say 4am when the place is heaving, everyone knows they are in the comfort zone not having to look over their shoulder or concerned about closing times etc.

Lets break it down why it elevates that feeling and atmosphere to an almost spiritual like feeling.

The sweeping sound at the start is icy, almost cold like, designed to send shivers through your body from the drugs you are under the influence of, and it does send rushes down your body, thats just to prepare you for the impending rock solid bass with an alternating beat, one for one, that arrives in at 01:01, that bass and beat pounds the place and releases the Ravers from its grip just before, then it drops out the sweeping sound at 01:24 and many other background noises to give a ‘cleaner’ more focussed rhythm that has a high pitched synth, this is where I can imagine the full on white strobes lighting the place up with those rapid claps complimenting the strobe flashes, and you are full on into the track pulling you along with it. A few more breaks in the track with female vocal give pause for a build of energy only to return back to that rock solid bass and beat. But there is another quality to this track, that is used in so many of the best tracks, it has a very emotive choir like sound over arching the track that is present while it is doing it magic that comes in at 02:42, this is not immediately apparent but it creates a real kind of other worldly feeling in your mind, this is where that Asylum atmosphere that has endured in peoples minds for so long partly comes from, something I suppose unexplainable happens, like a feeling but not quite, there have been many terms used over many years by humans to try to describe that ‘feeling’, the best I can repeat and that identify with is, ‘Touching the void’. How I interpret what that means is we believe in general that there is something else beyond this existence, whether that is an afterlife as theologies speak of is unknown, but there is a deep rooted almost intuition that there is something beyond this realm, ‘Touching the void’ to me means having been transported mentally to a place that feels like you were ever so briefly not of this realm, but something that was not 100% identifiable, ‘The Void’, this type of track created that for me, but I guess many others also in the Asylum and that is why stories of it and tracks like these keep on being repeated and their importance held so high by the commentators.

This one simply blows me away, i can specifically recall the first time i heard this, it was about 6am on the top floor of the Asylum, the power it had to bring the place back to life, oh my fu*king holy christ..........

Still have this treasure on Vinyl.:)

Unbelievable track, this one really took you to another place.......

Fckin love this track, featured on a Billy Nasty mix around 1994, a track I never managed to get my hands on. Belter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

Not something I'd normally post here

But was on a Andy Weatherhall mix I was listening to so hopefully forgiven :)

• Advertisement

I am posting one ) well 2 actually) last adieu to Andy Weatherall. Lots of new stuff getting posted on you tube the last week. Two DJ sets from the mid 90's.

Recording from Sabresonic, fairly experimental and downbeat, but really good.

Also a cool BBC essential mix, from 1996. Party vibe.

I was just listening to that '93 Essential Mix last night, quality stuff. I used to play the Innersphere track so much back then... proper peak time techno!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,149 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Really enjoying this. Just gets better and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

You can now download all 900 hours of Andrew Weatherall DJ mixes (link)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

MadYaker wrote: »
    Really enjoying this. Just gets better and better.

Sublime set to be fair

Has he ever played a bad track in any set.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

• Advertisement

This is simply what the Rave is about, relentless power and energy.......

Advertisement