Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 13: Thai Beanburgers & Sweet Potato Wedges

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

So, Fri night I left work thinking I'm gonna cook Irishbirds thai yokes..
    Memorised the recipe..
    Bought what I needed and got home to make them.
    The only thing I got right was the mother fucking beans:rolleyes:
    Eh, cumin seeds, mustards seeds....wtf?
    So wrote a list on sat and got what I needed...
    Result..
    They were fab... Everyone loved them..
    So we nibbled on this...
    007.jpg
    then demolished this
    009.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

Tried to make these during the week and I broke a little tip from the top of my good ceramic knife into the mix when I was getting it out of the mixing jug. Sifted through it looking for the little fecker for a half an hour. Eventually gave up and had to bin the lot and get 3-1's from the Chinese instead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

Tried to make these during the week and I broke a little tip from the top of my good ceramic knife into the mix when I was getting it out of the mixing jug. Sifted through it looking for the little fecker for a half an hour. Eventually gave up and had to bin the lot and get 3-1's from the Chinese instead :(

Ah, thats a shame. I had a calamity of errors when trying to make the flapjacks. I never had one success.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I went to make these last night and discovered it was a can of mushy peas, not a second can of butterbeans lurking at the back of the cupboard! So...quick improvisation with some mushrooms and breadcrumbs added to the mix and a success :)

My boyfriend was convinced he was eating fish until the big reveal at the end of dinner that it was a fully vegetarian meal :eek::p

Very tasty, quick to make and with stock ingredients, pretty much. Would definitely do these again. Would be good to eat the next day for lunch too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

Made this last night and it was seriously good.... Thanks a mill Irishbird.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64,793 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Made these just now and they're very tasty :)

Now we know why the sweet potato is called sweet. Pity you don't like coriander and lemongrass, irishbird, they were quite prominent in the burger and nicely so

Handy recipe to know as I'd usually have all the ingredients in the house, so I could slap up a meal without notice / having to do shopping

beanburger.jpg

Like Mr M, I had two plates of this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Fiiiiiiiiinally got round to making these tonight. Absolutely delish! Was even surprised that I liked the sweet potato as I'd had sweet potato mash before and didn't like it at all.

If, sorry...when I make these again I'll either use a smaller mixer to make the paste or cut all the ingredients up finely before adding them to the large mixer. I'll also use less lemongrass. I think half would be plenty, and I'll definitely make sure I chop it up really fine as it was a tad stringy, but that's the nature of the ingredient. Could've probably used a little bit more coriander than I did but used it sparingly as I thought it might be too overpowering.

Also thought that they were a bit tough to keep together in the pan, so next time I'll chill them in the fridge for a while. (give me a bit of time to clean up too!)

But all that aside they were really yummy.

dsc0847n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We had these again this evening.

This time I put the burgers in the freezer for a little while for them to firm up. They seemed to be easier to handle after doing so. I served them with some sriracha sauce instead of sweet chilli.

Empty plates afterawards! :)

picture.php?albumid=1409&pictureid=8046

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Bumping this after an awfully long time, but I made these burgers last week when my boyfriend's vegetarian sister came for dinner. They were great, we'll have them again at some stage definitely, whether or not we have any vegetarian present! Loads of flavour in them, although I think I might up the amount of garlic and lime juice next time. Made the wedges too and served with side salad, no photos though unfortunately, we were too hungry!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Ted Plain

I made this myself on Saturday.

Burgers were lovely and didn't need any egg to hold them together or anything like that. I made them the night before and left them in the fridge. I made three small ones instead of one big one.

I did sweet potato fries because oven sweet potatoes never quite work for me. They always end up scorched and not crunchy.

I also did a coleslaw-type thing with red and white cabbage, brightly-coloured veggies and sort of an Asian dressing with lime juice, Tabasco Sweet & Spicy and some oil. The red cabbage stained everything purple, though. :eek::)

And Chang and Singha beer to go with it. They have them in LIDL at the moment for about €1.50 a bottle.

I took a photo and will post it up later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement