Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2010 Cooking Club Week 13: Thai Beanburgers & Sweet Potato Wedges

Options
  • 28-03-2010 12:43pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭

Thai Beanburgers & Sweet Potato Wedges

Ingredients

2 x 400g Tins Butterbeans
    6-8 Spring Onions
    1 Clove Garlic
    2.5cm Piece of Ginger
    1 Red Chili
    1 Lime
    Soy Sauce
    Pepper
    Olive Oil
    Sweet Potatoes - enough to make wedges to feed everyone
    Rosemary
    Flour
    Optional Ingredients
    A handful of Fresh chopped coriander leaves
    1 Lemongrass stalk, topped and tailed and smashed and chopped

DSCN2734.jpg?t=1269713169

Method

Firstly pre-heat the oven to 180C/Gas Mark 4

Peel the Sweet Potato

DSCN2745.jpg?t=1269713406

Then chop into Wedges

DSCN2746.jpg?t=1269713435

Place wedges on a baking tray, cover with olive oil, sprinkle with Rosemary and black pepper.

DSCN2747.jpg?t=1269713458

Place into the oven for 20-25mins.

While the wedges are cooking, make the beanburgers.

Chop up the ginger, garlic and chili, and stick into a blender with a tablespoon of Soy Sauce and the juice of a lime. This is the point where you add the coriander and/or lemongrass, I didn't use these ingredients because I don't like them :)

DSCN2737.jpg?t=1269714062

Blend into a paste.

DSCN2738.jpg?t=1269714756

Drain and rinse the butterbeans.

DSCN2735.jpg?t=1269714802

Roughly chop the Spring Onions

DSCN2739.jpg?t=1269714826

Put the butterbeans into the blender, and pulse for a second or two to break them up (or use a potato masher to do this)

DSCN2740.jpg?t=1269714903

Splitting into two posts because of the amount of photos.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

Add the chopped Spring Onions and the paste to the beans

DSCN2741.jpg?t=1269776056

blend to a good consistency and turn out on to a flat surface

DSCN2742.jpg?t=1269776079

shape the mix into four patties

DSCN2743.jpg?t=1269776099

coat the patties in seasoned flour

DSCN2744.jpg?t=1269776121

heat some oil in a pan and fry the patties until golden on both sides

DSCN2749.jpg?t=1269776007

Take the wedges out of the oven

DSCN2748.jpg?t=1269776033

Put the wedges and beanburgers on a plate and enjoy!
    DSCN2751.jpg?t=1269776141

I didnt have time but I would usually make a fresh salsa or a rocket salad to go with this, the red sauce on the plate is a sweet chilli sauce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I surprised myself by actually liking these, the burgers are very tasty and the wedges are very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

They look great.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭boodlesdoodles

They look amazing I'll definitely be trying these during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

irishbird wrote: »
    Place wedges on a baking tray, cover with olive oil, sprinkle with Rosemary and black pepper.Place into the oven for 20-25mins...

...This is the point where you add the coriander and/or lemongrass, I didn't use these ingredients because I don't like them :).

In that case I'll include the coriander and lemongrass and coriander, but leave out the rosemary. :D
    Drain and rinse the butterbeans.

I have the same colander!

I actually have most of these ingredients already and will be making it tomorrow evening. Look great. Thanks for all the pics - love posts with nice pics!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Impressive! Will definitely be giving these a go..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

those burgers look good, i make something similiar myself the odd time with prawns instead of butter beans. must try the butter bean version.
    and the sweet potatoe wedges are an old favourite, add a bit of cayenne or chili flakes for more bite.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

They look yum :) great for if you're having veggies over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

These look fantastic! Might make them during the week :)

picture.php?albumid=1068&pictureid=5642

Whatever way the light caught them, they look kind of like pork medallions... sorry about that. :pac:

Thet were yummy, though!

Merci!

• Advertisement

glad you enjoyed them

see veggie food doesnt havent to be boring and tasteless:D

edit - they look better then mine, can i come around to your house for tea?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh they look great!

xzanti wrote: »
    They look yum :) great for if you're having veggies over :D

really easy to make, while you have your "real burgers" on the bbq:D

glad you enjoyed them

see veggie food doesnt havent to be boring and tasteless:D

edit - they look better then mine, can i come around to your house for tea?

But of course! However, only if Des brings a batch of Cornish pasties too! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭DonnieScribbles

I made these with black beans (didn't have any butter beans) and they were really lovely! A nice combination of flavours I wouldn't normally use in veggie burgers, cheers for the recipe :)
    I did find them quite hard to flip in the frying pan without breaking them though. Not enough flour perhaps...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,429 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

Cooked this dish tonight. We were impressed, loved the texture - totally new to us, lovely, light and full of flavour. Another recipe I'll be cooking again and adjusting a few ingredients to suit personal taste. I reckon my 2yr old will love these too. Thanks irishbird, thumbs-up here :)

DSC_1866.jpg

Oh, I went back and ate the second one too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭F.A.

They were really, really good. We loved them so much that I'm making them again this week. I have to work on the texture, though. I think I blended it a bit too long, and I also had difficulty turning them in the pan. But they just taste sooo great! :)

I am trying to get my boyfriend to eat less meat, so I was delighted that this one went down well. Could you recommend a good vegan/vegetarian cookbook or other such source?

F.A. wrote: »
    Could you recommend a good vegan/vegetarian cookbook or other such source?

to be honest i dont really have a good veg cookbook, if you google vegetarian recipes there are loads of really good sites.

glad everyone enjoyed them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭runrabbit

These went down very well in my house. I made quite a few smaller patties, and we ate them in pitta breads with some salad. Delicious!

Thanks for the recipe!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭Loopy

They look the same as my fish cakes, but I'm gonna give these a go for sure.. They look Scrum. Bloody starving now, why do I always end up in this forum just before lunch.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,208 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Going to try these today. :)

These were fairly simple to do, although they fell apart a bit on the pan. They were also quite sharp so I may have overdone the lime...Will definitely make them again, thanks for the recipe. :)

thaibeanburger1.jpg

sweetpotato.jpg

thaibeanburger.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

can't wait to try these!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Bookmarked, cannot wait for an evening i can make these. <can't believe i'm looking forward to a meal without meat:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

I'm making these tomorrow night, really looking forward to trying them. Tesco have the butter beans on special offer, 2 tins for 1.50

03291aab.jpg

they weren't quite as burned as they look in that picture! They were very tasty but the consistency wasn't great, I don't know what I did wrong. It was like wet and gloopy mash just with crispy edges

i am trying to think about why they would be wet. did you drain liquid off the butterbeans?

to everyone who had problems turning them - they always kinda fall apart a bit on me too:)

thanks everyone for trying them :):)

I did drain them - really not sure what the problem was. I still thought they were really tasty, and will try them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭kikililly

I'm a big meat eater and I've never had butterbeans before but i love thai flovouring. These were gorgeous I could very easily see these being added to my small list of usuals!!

Thanks for the recipe i really enjoyed the burgers and its showed me the need for me to invest in a proper food processor!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭lubie76

Made these this evening and really enjoyed them. Flavours really good together in burgers. First time I tried sweet potato wedges too and they are delicious, so much more flavour than potato chips. Will make again. Thanks.

Advertisement