Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bespoke/Retro Arcade

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,928 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Can't believe the greatest arcade game of all time hasn't been mentioned yet tripe like Mortal Kombat has. Theis arcade would need robotron 2084!

A street Fighter 3 3rd Strike cabinet would also be sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,589 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Only problem with 3rd Strike is it's on CPS3 hardware. Which I have heard can crap out on you even if you just look at it funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭sengoku

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    scum LOVE shopping centres

Existing proof :

Atari EXPO
    Level 3
    The Square Shopping Center
    Tallaght
    Dublin 24

Every time you play a game, you will be accosted for cigarettes or spare change.

"Mistor! Hav' ye got a smoke?"
    "Any odds bud?"
    "Will ye get me me cans?" «-- There are no errors in this sentence. Its an actual quote.

This can be upsetting, especially when your are concentrating really hard on hitting that last boss in Silent Scope For those of you who are not familiar with said last boss, you need to bring down the enemy with one shot while he hides behind a hostage on a boat that is gently swaying on the waves.

The Expo in recent years has slowly implemented a policy that has got rid of almost all the scum, unintentionally. That policy was to fill the place with more profitable poker machines, roulette, slots etc The only arcade machine that is left is a Sega Rally 3 cab.

The Present
    It seems inevitable to me that this is the cold reality of our collective interest. Slots will always be more profitable. All arcades are slowly evolving into gambling dens. Scum will always be looking for beer, money and cigarettes.

I would like to apologise about the negative spin I have put on things. I just feel that the arcades as we know them are dead. Manufacturers have, for a long time, given up on the joystick and buttons in favour of the simulator, even now there are not that many been made. The gaming market has changed from arcade to console entertainment, that is how the manufacturers make their money now.

The Future
    Its seems to me that the Internet cafes are the new arcades, with MMORPGs and xbox 360s. One way I can see an arcade surviving is that it also evolves or merges with an existing business. Maybe into a Bar or a Pub with a side room that houses the machines, "Also available for functions". Most people that are interested in the classics would be of the beer drinking age, so this would be a possibility.

Has anyone got any other ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

I don't know about a pay by the hour system
    I think coins would be better, easier to look after, less initial setup costs, easy repair/maintenance. Maybe a token system but then you would have to get tokens that are not easily available online to avoid scammers:D
    There's a couple of reasonably prices shops on capel street and bolten street on property.ie, might be worth checking out
    Anyway good luck with the business venture
    oh just remembered there is a guy on BYOAC who recently setup an arcade in the UK somewhere, will try dig out the thread at lunchtime(obviously out of Ireland ATM)
    now found one of the threads but still searching on other
    http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=98086.0
    Those multi game boards mentioned before are often used commercially through out the world, in fact there is one in a cocktail cabinet in Wrights(malahide a couple of doors down from gibneys) and I've seen quit a few of them in Australia

o1s1n wrote: »
    Got a list of games you can throw up here? I wouldn't mind seeing what you've got.

Also I'd be interested in seeing some of the artwork. Do you mean mini marquees? Or the sticker showing the different controls/moves?
    Will get some pics tonight and start up a new thread, they are mostly fighting games

Advertisement