Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Restaurant Reviews - Your Say.

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

bisset wrote: »
    We are hoping to organise a family lunch out some Saturday. We are thinking of somewhere outside Arklow,maybe Redcross or Aughrim.Any suggestions?
    If the food in the restaurant is half as good as the takeaway - I couldn't recommend Ms. Hung's in Aughrim highly enough.
    It's quite simply the best Chinese/Thai food I have eaten in years.
    Sadly, I can't tell you anything about the restaurant. Last time I was there it looked quiet, but I've no doubt that won't stay that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 krisbecs

Was on the N11 the other day and as Jack Whites looked packed I stopped at The Beehive instead not expecting much as the car park was empty. There were only 2 other sets of people in the spacious lounge area and I was surprised as this is on the busiest stretch of road in the county! They had 2 menus available a set 3 course for €14.95 or an a la carte which had all dishes featured on the 3 course menu. I opted for Garlic mushrooms, Chicken Supreme with mushrooms & creamy sauce followed by the Belgian waffle and I must say every bit was delicious I almost licked the mushroom creamy sauce off the plate. My daughter had kids goujons and they were pure breast not the processed crap you can get in other places. The staff were attentive but not rushing us out sometimes in Jack Whites they are so busy it feels like they are firing the food at you to get the table back. All in all I have to say it was great tasting food nothing fancy though and extremely good value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

The Bistro, Enniskerry

Ate there for the first time recently and was blown away. The food was astonishingly good and Paul, the Maitre D was a pleasure. We had a Groupon voucher but I would not hesitate to go there again, even at full price the value is good. A real gem on our doorstep, just annoyed I never found about them sooner!

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭NobodyImportant

+ 1 Chakra by Jaipur - Meridan Centre Greystones. They do a great early bird, think its €19 two course. One of my favourite restaurants.

+1 Martello - Bray Seafront always great food in there. The Surf n Turf upstairs is beautiful.

- 1 Beach House above Sealife in Bray. Love the decor, service ok, starts ok, but mains have dissapointed. Could be a brilliant place

+1 Campo Di Fiori - Bray Seafront. Great food. End of.

For a Chinese/Thai/Malaysian take away, try Sing Yeang on Albert Walk in Bray. Lovely people, menu is a little more varied than others and have had some gorgeous take outs there.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,447 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

+ 1 Chakra by Jaipur - Meridan Centre Greystones. They do a great early bird, think its €19 two course. One of my favourite restaurants.

+1 Martello - Bray Seafront always great food in there. The Surf n Turf upstairs is beautiful.

- 1 Beach House above Sealife in Bray. Love the decor, service ok, starts ok, but mains have dissapointed. Could be a brilliant place

+1 Campo Di Fiori - Bray Seafront. Great food. End of.

For a Chinese/Thai/Malaysian take away, try Sing Yeang on Albert Walk in Bray. Lovely people, menu is a little more varied than others and have had some gorgeous take outs there.

Just to mention that the Beach Hoiuse no longer exists.

Has new owners and is back to being called 'Barracuda'.

Ate there last week, a Saturday lunch and it was OK. Seemed more like a pub menu to me than a restaurant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Dr Strange

murpho999 wrote: »
    Just to mention that the Beach Hoiuse no longer exists.

Has new owners and is back to being called 'Barracuda'.

Ate there last week, a Saturday lunch and it was OK. Seemed more like a pub menu to me than a restaurant.

Ah, pity. I liked the menu for the Beach House. Have they changed it completely? I hope it doesn't bite them in the rear having done that.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,441 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I agree it does seem a bit odd, seeing as the Beach House seemed to have finally hit the right spot menu-wise for that location to be moderately successful. They have only just done some building work too, seems an odd moment to sell up.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭gillapino

Anyone tried the new tapas restaurant in Bray where Shelby's used to be? Any use?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 padimus2

Anyone tried the new tapas restaurant in Bray where Shelby's used to be? Any use?

Yeah, tried it a few weeks back. It's excellent. My wife is from Spain and thought that the food was of very good quality, the couple who own it are from Spain so they know their stuff. Prices are reasonable as well, both of us ate well for €30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Bid08

for a treat the Strawberry Tree in Macredding Village (Brooklodge Hotel) is fantastic, only certified organic restaurant in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭Bubblefett

Are people here sure the beach house is gone? They're still updating their facebook page :confused:
    http://www.facebook.com/OceanBray
    I was hoping to go there with the boyfriend this weekend. Maybe the orginal baracuda management is back?

Also does anyone know- their website says they close at 10. Is that no more orders/drinks from 10 on or is it get out at 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 41,044 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

bubblefett wrote: »
    Are people here sure the beach house is gone? They're still updating their facebook page :confused:
    http://www.facebook.com/OceanBray
    I was hoping to go there with the boyfriend this weekend. Maybe the orginal baracuda management is back?

Also does anyone know- their website says they close at 10. Is that no more orders/drinks from 10 on or is it get out at 10?

Ocean is a completely different restaurant. That is at the front of Katie Gallaghers.

Barracuda is here

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=420638651308554&ref=stream&slog=1649394360&seq=735544092&rk=0&fbtype=65&refid=46

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

padimus2 wrote: »

Yeah, tried it a few weeks back. It's excellent. My wife is from Spain and thought that the food was of very good quality, the couple who own it are from Spain so they know their stuff. Prices are reasonable as well, both of us ate well for €30.

Hey all
    Will second this, three of us went the other night and was positively surprised at the quality of the dishes, the pork belly probably being the highlight for me but all of it was good. Very very reasonable too. I hope that it gets its fair share of visitors as it would be good to see a restaurant that is not on the beach survive in our town - not taking away from the resturants I frequent down there but after shelbys closing and the annual "restaurant at the town hall closure" it would be a positive note for a decent restaurant on the main street to plug away! So go and visit it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 oakslevo

Myself and the wife were in Penang Garden last night. It is easily the best of the Asian restaurants in the town. Food was top notch and nice decor. Plenty of space and nice atmosphere. Very reasonable prices too. Will definitely be back soon. :)

Did anyone try the new Greek restaurant on Bray Main Street yet? I think it's located where the former Tapas Bar was. Would love to hear if they have gyros with tzaziki.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Preusse wrote: »
    Did anyone try the new Greek restaurant on Bray Main Street yet? I think it's located where the former Tapas Bar was. Would love to hear if they have gyros with tzaziki.

Was passing and took a few pics of the menu (haven't eaten there myself though :) )

Went there last week (Thursday) and thought it was pretty good. The two of us had the mezze for two as starter, and Gyros and Souvlaki as mains, both came with chips, salad and a good sized portion of tzatziki.

Must try it, hard to get a good gyros in Ireland!

I can't find anything online on El Greco, not even a phone number. Are they open on Sundays?

Preusse wrote: »
    I can't find anything online on El Greco, not even a phone number. Are they open on Sundays?
    No, they don't seem to have a web presence at all, not even a Facebook page, which is odd in this day and age. Having said that, I don't really see why they shouldn't be open on a Sunday.

• Advertisement

Just back from El Greco, they also have two Facebook pages and said that a website will follow in a couple of weeks.

It was really good food, nicely presented and the taste was great! Can only recommend it, hope it will stay as it gives a nice balance to the Chinese and Indian Takeaways and the Chippers.

FB pages:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/El-Greco-Restaurant/602288856524383?ref=stream

https://www.facebook.com/elgreco.elgreco.7?fref=ts

Ah, couldn't find those pages via Google, and I don't 'do' Facebook either so can't search there. Pity I can't understand half the comments though as they're in Greek :)

They put up their website today:

http://www.elgrecorestaurant.ie/#

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭sallymomo

I went here last night with my wife, earlyish.
    Very few bodies around, but it was a Tuesday evening and as mentioned it was early.
    The food itself was delicious. We had the Pikilia for starters which is more than enough for 2 to share - it also gives you an idea of some of the mains.
    I had the Gyros for mains which was tasty (came with their lovely Pitta but also with chips, I am not completely au fait with Greek cuisine so not sure if the chips are for the Irish market or if they go with the Gyros anyway.)

I would recommend people try it out, it is something different and rather than have another Indian/Chinese (not opposed to either cuisine, just overkill in Bray) it would be good to have a viable alternative. Obviously its always good to support business in the town!

sallymomo wrote: »
    ...I am not completely au fait with Greek cuisine so not sure if the chips are for the Irish market or if they go with the Gyros anyway.)

Yes, not too sure if it's oriognal but I know that all the Greek restaurants in Germany offer Gyros with Tzaziki and pita/fries as well. Mind you, they have to be thin fries rather than thick cut chips but when I had the Gyros at El Greco's they were fries rather than chips. Will definitely go again next weekend to try the Pikilia! What's also nice is that they are open from lunchtime on every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭insomniac86

Anyone know what happened to Crown of India? I'm pretty sure that was in the same place and it didn't even last a year?

Edit: After looking at the reviews on tripadvisor I think I have an idea of what happened. I ate there twice, the first time the food was amazing but when I got a chicken tikka masala off them the second time it had no flavour in it at all. I can't believe how fast the place opened and closed down though. I've never seen a shop in Bray go that fast.

Advertisement