Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wicklow Restaurant Reviews - Your Say.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

I meant to mention this the other day when I posted. The Golf Club in Wicklow Town is pretty great at the moment. They got a new chef about 3/4 months ago and he's cooking up a storm. We've been up there on several Sundays and cannot fault the food. It had gone down hill dramatically for a while until they replaced the old chef.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Kormeera X

roma is good too admiral :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tonyon

Yes Shinny, the hint is indeed in the title, Restaurant Review, not a People Review. Got the idea?. Anyway, just back from France where they really have great restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

Well out of the choice of Casa Pepe, The Steakhouse and Penang Garden for my 41st birthday dinner with the wife on the weekend, I chose Penang Garden. It had (what I though) was the most interesting menu - Casa Pepe had nothing I couldn't cook at home and The Steakhouse's main that I would have ordered was about €28 (meaning 2 entrees, 2 mains and a bottle of wine would be way too much).
    Service at PG was good and the entree's were great. The wife wanted me to order Ice Cream King Prawns for a main and I won't be doing that again (way too sweet for me)... Our other main (fried pieces of fish of some sort) was way overcooked - tiny little hard nuggets. I mentioned it to the waitress and the manager(?) came over later and apologised and removed it from our bill.
    The wife also didn't like the fact that they cleaned the tables around us when people left by spraying a few good squirts of a disinfectant spray - I thought it was a bit unprofessional as well as the smell was pretty overpowering.
    We'll be going back though as it's been the best dining experience in Wicklow Town so far (that's not saying much, hey?) - and next time I'll be more alert to what comes out of the kitchen.

tonyon wrote: »
    Yes Shinny, the hint is indeed in the title, Restaurant Review, not a People Review. Got the idea?. Anyway, just back from France where they really have great restaurants.

Which is part and parcel of it. If you don't have good staff and therefore good service, that's just as important as reviewing the food. Why are you taking it so personally?.....I'm guessing because your review is less than impartial ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

The indian in blessington village is really good and reasonable.It was called the Bohdi Tree but it was taken over a couple of weeks ago ,but I believe the food is still delicious:)

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭westwicklow

...blessington village....:)

"village" you are having a laugh!!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Auscast

We went back to Penang Garden on Saturday night and the food was lovely.
    The manager remembered me from when we were there last (in August) and my complaint about the fish. He mentioned he told the kitchen to make sure that everything that came out to me was at it's best.
    Luckily, we were sitting in direct view of the kitchen, and I didn't see anyone hock a loogie ;)
    I still think they overcook the seafood a little, but otherwise it's a very good and inexpensive place to eat. It's now my wife's favourite restaurant in Wicklow.

I see there's a new restaurant called The Black and Blue Grill opening soon in Wicklow town. I had a brief glance into it during renovation and it looks lovely so far. I'll be there when it opens.

Auscast wrote: »
    I see there's a new restaurant called The Black and Blue Grill opening soon in Wicklow town. I had a brief glance into it during renovation and it looks lovely so far. I'll be there when it opens.

We've booked it for a few weeks time, so will report back. We're expecting good things as it's owned by the same people who own Bates in Rathdrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭shaviebeby

Hungry Monk in Greystones....quality everytime!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Parichards

Here we are the first review of the Black and Blue Grill.

There is one bad thing about the internet, that's the immediacy that it gives to people to express an opinion. So here is my opinion of the Black and Blue Grill 10 minutes after leaving the place.

First ambiance, there is none. What used to be one of Ireland finest and most unique restaurants is now a shadow of itself with tacky paintings scattered around the walls containing luminous orange for sale stickers. Not only is most of the artwork crap but its ridiculously overpriced also.
    Second service, the staff were pleasant enough, inadequately trained but this is normal in rural Irish restaurants. The service was abysmal, 1 hour to serve our starters. This in a restaurant with only 25 - 30 customers.
    Third the food. All I can say is ordinary, the menu is uninspiring and they certainly won't be competing for any Michelin Stars in the near future. The food was very average and hit and miss, I asked for rare medallions of Fillet steak, one was overdone and completely over seasoned, the other was nearly OK. The quality of the meat was very mediocre, this is not good as there are a number of quality butchers in Wicklow town who can supply good and well conditioned beef. My starter was not too bad but was sadly lacking in the advertised truffle oil and so a bit bland.
    Last the wine list, one word for this, crap.

To sum up, in the immortal words of most of my school teachers, "could do better".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Parichards wrote: »
    but its ridiculously overpriced also

Could say that about 99.9% of Irish restaurants unfortunately.

"village" you are having a laugh!!

Ha ha you're absolutely right ,slip of the tongue there;)

6 of us went to the Black n Blue grill on Saturday night and overall we really enjoyed it. No problems with service, they were bang on time. Nice friendly atmosphere and pleasent staff.

The only criticism I would have is that we had too much food for our main course. I had ordered the Lamb Cutlets and there were just too many. With the addition of the fries and veg it was filling. However, they were really nice. Very nicely cooked.
    My starter was just ok. I had ordered the prawns and scallops. I just thought the scallops were a litte overdone and the prawns were cooked in a funny way (split with shell still on it which made getting the flesh out difficult)

My companions had the Warm Chicken Salad, Pate, Antipasta plate and Soup for starters. They all said they were very nice. For mains they had a chicken dish (forget the name, but it was in a wrap) that wasn't that great. A seafood mix which was lovely, but again too much fish, Lamb Shank which was very nice, The Burger which was nice and Mixed Grill plate which was also nice.

For dessert we had the tiramisu which was lovely.

I've attached a few pictures (The Lamb Cutlets, The Burger and a shot of the restaurant)

shinny wrote: »
    6 of us went to the Black n Blue grill on Saturday night and overall we really enjoyed it. No problems with service, they were bang on time. Nice friendly atmosphere and pleasent staff.

The only criticism I would have is that we had too much food for our main course. I had ordered the Lamb Cutlets and there were just too many. With the addition of the fries and veg it was filling. However, they were really nice. Very nicely cooked.
    My starter was just ok. I had ordered the prawns and scallops. I just thought the scallops were a litte overdone and the prawns were cooked in a funny way (split with shell still on it which made getting the flesh out difficult)

My companions had the Warm Chicken Salad, Pate, Antipasta plate and Soup for starters. They all said they were very nice. For mains they had a chicken dish (forget the name, but it was in a wrap) that wasn't that great. A seafood mix which was lovely, but again too much fish, Lamb Shank which was very nice, The Burger which was nice and Mixed Grill plate which was also nice.

For dessert we had the tiramisu which was lovely.

I've attached a few pictures (The Lamb Cutlets, The Burger and a shot of the restaurant)

That's a huge dish ,I don't think I could have finished all that.Nice pics though thanks for sharing:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

shinny wrote: »
    6 of us went to the Black n Blue grill on Saturday night and overall we really enjoyed it.

I checked out this place today walking down the town.
    Seems ok, that burger might just draw me in.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Nancenet70

Loved the Hungry Monk
    Chakra in Greystones has been our favourite (but most expensive) Indian for takeaway (we havent eaten in yet)
    Campo di Fiori - in Bray - is the best Italian we've had in Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mysadlife

I just popped in to Black N Blue with my 13 yr old son for a bite. Have to say, I wasn't overly impressed. I had a 12oz sirloin, which was full of fat.....the mushroom sauce was very watery....limp/greasy fries. Son had a pizza which was average.

The menu is quite limiting, despite its enormous size - they don't even have a till there, and made the menu up by hand - I hope this improves in the new year...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 tommo22

Parichards wrote: »
    Here we are the first review of the Black and Blue Grill.

There is one bad thing about the internet, that's the immediacy that it gives to people to express an opinion. So here is my opinion of the Black and Blue Grill 10 minutes after leaving the place.

First ambiance, there is none. What used to be one of Ireland finest and most unique restaurants is now a shadow of itself with tacky paintings scattered around the walls containing luminous orange for sale stickers. Not only is most of the artwork crap but its ridiculously overpriced also.
    Second service, the staff were pleasant enough, inadequately trained but this is normal in rural Irish restaurants. The service was abysmal, 1 hour to serve our starters. This in a restaurant with only 25 - 30 customers.
    Third the food. All I can say is ordinary, the menu is uninspiring and they certainly won't be competing for any Michelin Stars in the near future. The food was very average and hit and miss, I asked for rare medallions of Fillet steak, one was overdone and completely over seasoned, the other was nearly OK. The quality of the meat was very mediocre, this is not good as there are a number of quality butchers in Wicklow town who can supply good and well conditioned beef. My starter was not too bad but was sadly lacking in the advertised truffle oil and so a bit bland.
    Last the wine list, one word for this, crap.

To sum up, in the immortal words of most of my school teachers, "could do better".

Sounds to me like sour grapes. You create a new user name just to slate the place. It is your only post and you only joined Dec2010. I bet u are a competitor...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mysadlife

I meant to say that they "made the bill up by hand"

• Advertisement

mysadlife wrote: »
    I meant to say that they "made the bill up by hand"

Yeh, they did this with us to which I wasn't pleased about at the time but after a quick calculation we could see that it was correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 griff110

Just read through this thread. Is there now worthwhile resturants in West Wicklow except Avon Ri in Blessington :eek:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 brayseagull

In bray it has to be the Martello, great food, atmosphere and value for money, The Fernhouse at Avoca is amazing just a little expensive.

Best Italian was Diva's but then the head chef and manager left and opened their own in Wicklow Town, called Al mondo at the grand, Food is great, early bird good.

In Greystones, Hungery Monk (very expensive) and Jaipur cant be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Eibhin

Does anyone know is the piano player still playing on a Sat night in Diva's in Greystones?

Also I love Emilia's in Enniskerry. Fab food and a favourite with us!

Jaipur in Greystones an amazing night out too especially in a group.

griff110 wrote: »
    Just read through this thread. Is there now worthwhile resturants in West Wicklow except Avon Ri in Blessington :eek:.

There are other resturants in Blessington ,it's not just the Avon Ri.There is the Lemon Tree chinese resturant and there is a very good indian called mussorie.And some of the nicest pub grub can be found in the west Wicklow house.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Eibhin wrote: »
    Does anyone know is the piano player still playing on a Sat night in Diva's in Greystones?

They are not in Greystones anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

im heading out tomorrow for dinner in the evening, can anyone recommend somewhere nice in arklow?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭2.8trooper

black and blue this used to be the bakery did it always liked it there lovely building..
    jaipur in gstones is a lovely if expensive indian and indian spice is a very authentic take away,amazing use of space in there to it used to be a narrow gap between extra vision and bells i know i put the slate floor in!!!
    wicklow heather is nice for trad food to i never found it exorbatently expensive big helpings make up for the price..
    i tried mizzoni pizza and didnt like i found apache pizza the tastiest for take away.
    the new chinese in newtownmt kennedy is very good food to the one beside the hotel and indeed the hotel is quite reasonable with nice main courses although have only had bar food there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Excuse me?!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 anne synnott

Hi I was in Black and Blue last ngt with 10 members of my family, what a disaster of a night we were there at 8pm still had not been servied our main course at 10
    the meal was cold and steaks over cooked to a crispy black char.
    4 meals returned got the bill for 400 euro and no apology and no compensation of at least a drink or a btl of wine never again !!!! when we were on our way out we met another customer who was complaining about the same problem waiting hours to be fed.
    not on in todays market, cop on to your selves what a shame as it is a nice place and could do well if they had a proper manager

Advertisement