Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Hire To Bus Eireann (Clapped Out Coaches)

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Drivers using mobiles while driving, Windows on coaches broken, Coaches not up to standards set down by the company, Timetables being ignored by drivers etc etc are any of these complaints not valid? Why would any company chose to ignore such complaints?

I didn't say they are not valid reasons to complain about but if what you say here is correct, you always seem to travel substandard buses to justify complaints on an almost weekly basis. Either you are the Frank Spencer of bus gricing or very very unlucky but you should read Aesop's story of the boy who cried wolf ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Satisfied..ish Strawberry Jizz,but there`s always an i to be dotted or a t to be crossed....:)

This fellow was "driving extremely slowly/breaking down"....I`m taking it here that it was the vehicle which was breaking-down,rather than some form of emotional event being suffered by the Driver ?

(Mind you,I`m mindful here that the breakdown as described could well be some *farcical cynical imaginary whims expressed only between the right and left ear of the coach driver*... :) )

As somebody who has operated the very best and worst of Public Service Vehicle engineering,I can perhaps identify with a Driver who is attempting to get to grips with a Bus/Coach on it`s last legs.

Quite often,the problem will be of an electronic or engine-protection nature which will keep reoccuring until maintenance attend to it....but in the meantime it will demand constant attention from the driver to keep it mobile.

As for Satisfaction...?...nah I`m afraid I`m with MP Jagger on this one...I can`t get none.... :eek:

The problem with most of the on-hire services is that private operators are putting in lower and lower bids to obtain the contracts and they then scrimp on running costs and because of this the quality and reliability of their busses is appalling(there may also be safety implications with drivers possibly doing more hours than allowed!).

They often use coaches which have been retired from long distance work because they are no longer suitable, the seats in these clapped out coaches are not usually too shabby but they offer no support at all as the foam is too old and well past its useful lifetime, often there are electrical issues as well as lights not working and air conditioning not working, but they are deemed suitable by the clowns in Bus Eireann for expressway work. This is nothing unusual for the clowns in bus eireann who allow these busses to be used as they seem to think that as long as an auld bus runs and stays on the road for most of the journey it's grand and il'll do!

I didn't say they are not valid reasons to complain about but if what you say here is correct, you always seem to travel substandard buses to justify complaints on an almost weekly basis. Either you are the Frank Spencer of bus gricing or very very unlucky but you should read Aesop's story of the boy who cried wolf ;)
    If I see something which does not meet the companies own conditions of carriage and customer charter I will complain about it as otherwise nothing willl be done! Also if I see any bus driver using their mobile I will complain about it as this is illegal and downright dangerous! If any company choses to ignore such complaints that is up to them but I will continue sending the complaints and keeping a record of them.

I do travel on a number of journeys each week and do not(contrary to what you may think) go out in search of problems, I would not waste time complaining about chewing gum on seats etc but if a bus looks like it has not been cleaned out in a week I will complain.

I do not go out of my way to "travel substandard buses to justify complaints on an almost weekly basis" but on some routes the Company seems to allow the worst old piles of junk on the roads to service their expressway routes, namely Dublin-Waterford.
    When you travel on our services

* It is our policy to update our fleet on a planned basis.
    * We will ensure that the heating, ventilation and lighting on board our vehicles are working and set to a comfortable level.
    * We will clean the inside and outside of all in-service buses and coaches at least once a day where facilities are available.
    * Our drivers will be well presented, friendly, helpful and courteous to you at all times.
    * Smoking and the consumption of alcohol are prohibited by law on our services; we will continue to enforce these laws with the assistance of the relevant authorities.
    * Buses and coaches will display correct destination information and/or route number at all times.
    http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=93#letter

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

foggy_lad wrote: »
    If I see something which does not meet the companies own conditions of carriage and customer charter I will complain about it as otherwise nothing willl be done! Also if I see any bus driver using their mobile I will complain about it as this is illegal and downright dangerous! If any company choses to ignore such complaints that is up to them but I will continue sending the complaints and keeping a record of them.

I do travel on a number of journeys each week and do not(contrary to what you may think) go out in search of problems, I would not waste time complaining about chewing gum on seats etc but if a bus looks like it has not been cleaned out in a week I will complain.

I do not go out of my way to "travel substandard buses to justify complaints on an almost weekly basis" but on some routes the Company seems to allow the worst old piles of junk on the roads to service their expressway routes, namely Dublin-Waterford.

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=93#letter

It's not the fact that you complain, just the fact that you seem to have cause to complain almost weekly; it's a bit odd to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭dowlingm

from now on: video or it didn't happen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

e.

As for Satisfaction...?...nah I`m afraid I`m with MP Jagger on this one...I can`t get none.... :eek:

Well good luck with that and all your trolling endeavors:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

StrawberryJazz:Well good luck with that and all your trolling endeavors

Heavens to betsy,whatever can I have said to merit such praise..?

This response is a tad curmudgeonly surely..?

I was merely seeking clarification of intent after these little outbursts....
    In short he was just being a prick. Im not saying all bus drivers are or that blah blah blah...
    Just this ONE PARTICULAR UNIQUE special driver was a freak, and as a paying customer I feel I have a right to say as much.

Followed later by.....
    @ALEXSMART

What kind of details could possibly entertain your pretty little head at this hour? Would you like me to supply his side of the event?

Hmmmm *insert farcical cynical imaginary whims expressed only between the right and left ear of the coach driver*

Satisfied?

Using this definition of my alledged infraction i`m pleading not guilty....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=trolling

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

It's not the fact that you complain, just the fact that you seem to have cause to complain almost weekly; it's a bit odd to say the least.

Dont waste your time on it.

Heres something to remember:
    Most of these rules, promises etc. etc. are published simply because They Have To Be!. Its now the done thing.
    Goes for all big companies nowadays "Our Promise To You"/"Our Service Promise"/"You Are Important To Us"/"The Level Of Service You Can Expect From Us" do I need to go on!!- They like to look good, to be seen to be doing the Right Thing!, putting YOU first blah blah blah.

There all expected to promise YOU and I the sun, moon and stars, because if they dont offer it to us, ie the general public, someone else will!

Do they care about you? No, not particularly. Are they going to really investigate themselves? Hardly likely.

Not until it gets all legal.

The only time its likely to get "all legal" is after an accident when the issue of money, costs etc are introduced when claims against their insurance company are received; at this point it may be clearer as to whether they do actually care about you or I.

Its all strictly business, money will never be gifted unless the law says it must. You or I will not be given a pot of the stuff at any stage just because we are "important to them".

You may be given an occasional free ticket to get you off their back if you complain regularly and successfully .

I do not know if dirty, uncomfortable, older vehicles, be they buses, cars or jeeps are any more likely to be in an accident, (seems a lot of flashy cars with alloy wheels are though) nor do I know of how many accidents are caused purely by vehicle defects- (does anyone?) and thats not to say that maintenance should be ignored.

Bottom line, if your not happy with anyones service or product why would you continue to give them your patronage?

If any company offers a certain level of service then why should you not expect that which is advertised? I use bus Eireann as most of the time there is no alternative or it suits my needs but if their service is not operating as advertised I will let them know especially if it involves drivers risking lives through illegal practices like answering a phone or reading the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hoarder

A couple of things relating to this. Firstly I have no personal or professional relationship with Bus Eireann or any of the staff

1) The SP that was burned out in 2010 was SP50, which was allocated to route 7 to Clonmel. This would have no impact on the allocation or availability of buses for Waterford / Carlow services

2) Comeragh operate lots of reliefs for Bus Eireann, and their fleet is of a very high standard, mainly Volvo Jonckheere's that are under five years old. I have never seen an older bus than this from Comeragh on Busaras, so can only assume that the James Oliver 1996 model that appeared as per "Foggy_lad" is the exception to the rule.

3) Sunday and Friday are probably the biggest travelling days for Bus Eireann. As such there will be more extra buses on those days, and more reliefs to cover for defective, late buses or absent drivers. VC93 is a school bus based around the Carlow area. It works into Dublin on Sunday only, returning at 18:30 to Carlow if I am not mistaken. The bus is driven by a school bus driver to the best of my knowledge who does service work once a week. This is why the school bus is used. I have been on VC93 and while it is no tour coach it is not in bad condition and in my opinion is certainly serviceable. Many school buses do service work on an ad hoc basis around the country, it is impractical to have a coach for one trip a week when you can use one not being used on schools at that time. VC93 is the oldest bus working into Dublin today on a regular basis, the next oldest is a 199 vintage MH type Mercedes coach which will sometimes come in from Navan / Cavan. Personally I would swap the VC with a newer school bus as it works into Dublin every weekend, there are 2000 vintage VP type ex-service coaches coming onto school services at the moment which would be perfect, as they are in fantastic condition for the most part and are a seriously good quality and durable machine. But I don't see it as a massive big deal

4) Bus Eireann have many relief operators at their disposal and in general the buses are of a similar standard to their own fleet, but in many cases they are cleaner. Bernard Kavanagh is one who springs to mind. He operates numerous Bus Eireann services, with coaches from one to twelve years old. Bus Eireann's own service fleet is primarily under eight years old, one of the best in Europe. Currently the Dublin to Rosslare / Waterford / New Ross routes are allocated mainly LC type coaches dating from 2008, a few Scania SP type's dating from 2005 and 2006, and a few Scania SC types dating from 2004.

Finally, Callinan's have been awarded a five year contract to operate on sub-licence all of the "Citylink" Comfortdelgro services from 2010 onwards. They have taken control of the Citylink fleet of Scania's, and have added their own Volvo's to this along with some others. Comfortdelgro apparently didnt want to be "hands on" anymore in Ireland, they are an international company operating in a good number of other countries.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

hoarder wrote: »
    "Foggy_lad" is the exception to the rule.

Comfortdelgro apparently didnt want to be "hands on" anymore in Ireland, they are an international company operating in a good number of other countries.

Now there is the really interesting aspect to consider.....:confused:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭hoarder

Now there is the really interesting aspect to consider.....:confused:

Their accounts show a loss for the most recent trading year also

Advertisement