Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

On Hire To Bus Eireann (Clapped Out Coaches)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Hmm.
    I must have been mistaken previously on the number of the bus as the driver yesterday evening confirmed the heater was stuck turned on full and also there was no cool air at all on the bus. I think the Driver remembered me from last year when the bus was not used for the Carlow run after several passengers complained of feeling sick from the heat even before leaving Busáras.

I have just popped off a complaint to Bus Eireann, Maybe they will fix the auld banger now as i also copied the complaint to the RSA and dept of Transport and NTA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Click to Confirm

foggy_lad wrote: »

I have just popped off a complaint to Bus Eireann, Maybe they will fix the auld banger now as i also copied the complaint to the RSA and dept of Transport and NTA.

hi, just wondering did you get a reply from anybody ?
    ctc

hi, just wondering did you get a reply from anybody ?
    ctc

Nothing yet and won't be holding my breath for response from bus Eireann as they have had almost a year to fix this clapped out old expressway bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ArcadeFred

The heating issue is a fairly common one for us Bus Eireann commuters and not only confined to the old banger/contractor buses. There's a fairly new model single decker (or possibly more than one, I'm just presuming it's the same one every time it happens) used on the 10.30 service from Edenderry that has the heating stuck on full, I've been on it a few times when it's been roasting and the driver has said it's broken but I honest to god thought I was going to faint on it yesterday. The bus was full and the sun was beating in the window as well, it was excrutiating :eek: A few people said it to the driver when we got to Celbridge and he apologised and said he didn't realise it was that bad. Some lads asked could he open the roof window thing and he said no, that was only for emergencies, to which they responded "this is an emergency!", which would have been funny if it wasn't actually true.

It's like having a nightmare about being trapped in an overheated, airless tin box with no windows but then you realise it's not a nightmare, it's actually happening... If I thought about this fact too much on the journey, most likely, my final exit from the bus would be on a stretcher.

Call me defeatist but I won't bother writing to complain about it because anything I've complained about in the past has always stayed the same regardless of whatever legal/health & safety reasons there are to change or fix something. These days I just close my eyes for the rest of the journey and dream about the day I'll move to town and never have to rely on that bus again!

This evening the 6pm service to Waterford was covered by 2 coaches. One went non-stop to Waterford while the normal service was going to do its normal run out the Naas road onto the motorway to bypass Naas and Kilcullen but this did not happen. Instead it went into Naas in very heavy friday evening traffic than on into Kilcullen again into heavy traffic. There were no passengers for either town and none to be picked up either.

On eventually reaching Carlow about 30 minutes late the drivers explanation for putting a bus full of weary passengers through such a rough tedious journey was that there was apparently a person in Kilcullen who needed to be picked up because of some error earlier where they were left behind by a bus, the thing though is they were nowhere to be found when our bus got to Kilcullen. also does this mean that the 4.30pm service went on the motorway instead of going through Naas and Kilcullen?

maybe it is time some Bus Eireann managers controllers and some drivers went for a refresher course on timetable reading.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Well to be fair, there could have been a passenger in Kilkullen at the time your bus departed but they got fed up waiting. And it doesn't necessarily mean the previous bus by-passed Kilkullen. It's only speculation but perhaps they were on the bus but got off for a breath of air / queeziness while others got on it slipped the driver's mind, or the previous bus was full and the next one was sent to pick up the surplus.

If you're seeing routine serious problems with the service perhaps a tip off to a newspaper like the Irish Daily Mail might stir things up a bit and embarrass a few faces, especially if their own reporter get to experience the same.

the issue is that the bus i was on had 30+ passengers who had an awful journey by dragging us into Naas and Kilcullen rfor someone who was not there. this "person(s)" should have been told the next bus available to them was the 8pm service from Dublin as it is not the drivers or company's fault if passengers are unwell or stupid enough to miss the bus leaving!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

On eventually reaching Carlow about 30 minutes late the drivers explanation for putting a bus full of weary passengers through such a rough tedious journey.

Surely the driver didn't bring ye on such a rough tedious journey (was it a stage coach ?) just for the good of his health ?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Well to be fair, there could have been a passenger in Kilkullen at the time your bus departed but they got fed up waiting.

I would say thats most likely what happened.

Maybe the earlier bus was full and had to leave the passenger behind (Ive seen it happen).

Im sure the driver wouldnt have gone through the supposed hassle of going through Naas if he didnt have to.

I would say thats most likely what happened.

Maybe the earlier bus was full and had to leave the passenger behind (Ive seen it happen).

Im sure the driver wouldnt have gone through the supposed hassle of going through Naas if he didnt have to.

I can't really see the earlier bus being full but even if it was full leaving Busaras there should have been arrangements made for anyone waiting in Naas or Kilcullen for that service as the next bus is a full 90 minutes later and not timetabled to serve Naas or Kilcullen. There really is no excuse for this level of poor service especially seeing how bus Eireann have not responded to any of my most recent complaints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭StrawberryJazz

I was on the worst journey last Thursday from Dublin to limerick which in short, due to incompetency, took two extra hours.

The coach driver, from a private hired bus, told everyone they were not allowed to eat or drink on his bus...

...are they allowed do this? Let alone when they're messing up?

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

I was on the worst journey last Thursday from Dublin to limerick which in short, due to incompetency, took two extra hours.

The coach driver, from a private hired bus, told everyone they were not allowed to eat or drink on his bus...

Some buses do have a notice stating that food/drink is not to be consumed - I have never seen it enforced though. The exeption would be hot drinks which I understand is a safety aspect (usually no tables on a bus so you could scald someone if you dropped it). Maybe its up to the individual operator, I am not clear what Bus Éireann's stance on this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

I think you`ll find,StrawberryJazz,that the private sector coach operators are far less accomodating to persons who wish to snack en-route than big-bad ol`Bus Eireann.

This may well have something to do with the average Irish commuters widespread inability to clean up their own garbage,and the fact that the Owner/Driver of the Coach might have to do it for them....:)

But for the nitty-gritty.......

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=208

.....and particularly.....Customers are not allowed to take onto a Bus Éireann bus, or any bus operated for or on behalf of Bus Éireann, any hot food or hot drinks.

That appears unusually clear and unambiguous does it not..? ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Hot food and drinks are not allowed on Bus Eireann coaches and afaik the on-hire coaches are supposed to have the same regulations because they are representing bus Eireann so cold snacks drinks and crisp etc should be allowed. Maybe someone from bus Eireann could clarify this?

I just used the contact us on the website to ask for clarification from Bus Eireann but like recent complaints I am not expecting any reply:)

the reply from Bus Eireann!
    Good afternoon,
    In our conditions of carriage : Customers are not allowed to take onto a
    Bus Eireann bus, or any bus operated for or on behalf of Bus Eireann,
    any hot food or hot drinks.

Best regards,
    so it seems the private on-hire busses are subject to Bus Eireanns own conditionsd of carriage, also thanks to ****** for the speedy response:)

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I think you`ll find,StrawberryJazz,that the private sector coach operators are far less accomodating to persons who wish to snack en-route than big-bad ol`Bus Eireann.

This may well have something to do with the average Irish commuters widespread inability to clean up their own garbage,and the fact that the Owner/Driver of the Coach might have to do it for them....:)

But for the nitty-gritty.......

http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=208

.....and particularly.....Customers are not allowed to take onto a Bus Éireann bus, or any bus operated for or on behalf of Bus Éireann, any hot food or hot drinks.

That appears unusually clear and unambiguous does it not..? ;)

Thanks, yeah there were no signs or anything. I totally understand the dangers of tea and coffee, but he was objecting to the perils of fruit, crisps and any other temperate food good.

And he was an asshole about it :P

Thanks, yeah there were no signs or anything. I totally understand the dangers of tea and coffee, but he was objecting to the perils of fruit, crisps and any other temperate food good.

Bus Eireann have fairly swiftly confirmed that any private operator acting on their behalf in on-hire coaches must follow Bus Eireann conditions of carriage which allow for snacks and drinks as long as they are not hot food or drinks. but this does not mean that passengers have free reign to be pigs as they still have to behave as per the conditions of carriage imposed by Bus Eireann.

Bus Eireann have fairly swiftly confirmed that any private operator acting on their behalf in on-hire coaches must follow Bus Eireann conditions of carriage which allow for snacks and drinks as long as they are not hot food or drinks. but this does not mean that passengers have free reign to be pigs as they still have to behave as per the conditions of carriage imposed by Bus Eireann.

Well obviously...I wasnt proposing to paste the windows in cream eggs or anything...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Click to Confirm

on hire drivers have to clean and wash the bus as part of their days work, this is probably why he had an attitude, bus eireann employ cleaners so this is probably why their drivers are more relaxed about this

• Registered Users Posts: 36 busbrokers

Go to the toilet..have your breakfast..dinner..tea..supper..after all the driver who has to clean up after you is not your Momma!

busbrokers wrote: »
    after all the driver who has to clean up after you is not your Momma!

Precisely why he shouldn't be trying to tell me what to do. I don't pay money to be harassed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 busbrokers

If a driver asking you to not drop/throw/spill stuff on the floor is regarded as harrassment then I must admit I'm a little lost.

busbrokers wrote: »
    If a driver asking you to not drop/throw/spill stuff on the floor is regarded as harrassment then I must admit I'm a little lost.

You are.

He did not ask me personally to stop dropping/throwing/spilling "stuff" on the bus. He announced we were not allowed drink or eat anything through the duration of the journey despite delaying us two hours.

In short he was just being a prick. Im not saying all bus drivers are or that blah blah blah...
    Just this ONE PARTICULAR UNIQUE special driver was a freak, and as a paying customer I feel I have a right to say as much.

Strawberry Jazz:He did not ask me personally to stop dropping/throwing/spilling "stuff" on the bus. He announced we were not allowed drink or eat anything through the duration of the journey despite delaying us two hours.

In short he was just being a prick. Im not saying all bus drivers are or that blah blah blah...
    Just this ONE PARTICULAR UNIQUE special driver was a freak, and as a paying customer I feel I have a right to say as much.

Strawberry jazz,my man,this sounds like it was a REALLY interesting journey..how bout a few more details ?

Y`see,thus far we`ve only got your side of the event.....;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

He did not ask me personally to stop dropping/throwing/spilling "stuff" on the bus. He announced we were not allowed drink or eat anything through the duration of the journey despite delaying us two hours.

Why didn't you eat or drink while you waiting around over 2 hours for your bus?;)

Why didn't you eat or drink while you waiting around over 2 hours for your bus?;)

I was on the bus. He was driving extremely slowly/breaking down

@ALEXSMART

What kind of details could possibly entertain your pretty little head at this hour? Would you like me to supply his side of the event?

Hmmmm *insert farcical cynical imaginary whims expressed only between the right and left ear of the coach driver*

Satisfied?

@ALEXSMART

What kind of details could possibly entertain your pretty little head at this hour? Would you like me to supply his side of the event?

Hmmmm *insert farcical cynical imaginary whims expressed only between the right and left ear of the coach driver*

Satisfied?
    Have you sent in your complaint to Bus Eireann? it is after all their service which you were delayrd on and you may even get a refund of the ticket cost. you will need the details of the journey to make the complaint but dont expect Bus Eireann to even acknowledge any complaint you make as they are not very good at communicating with disgruntled passengers who make complaints.

Have you sent in your complaint to Bus Eireann? it is after all their service which you were delayrd on and you may even get a refund of the ticket cost. you will need the details of the journey to make the complaint but dont expect Bus Eireann to even acknowledge any complaint you make as they are not very good at communicating with disgruntled passengers who make complaints.

Actually yes I did! :)
    They were very helpful and offered me another ticket. It took about a week for them to investigate and come back to me but I was very satisfied with their response and the PR rep is doing a very good job!

@ALEXSMART

Satisfied?

Satisfied..ish Strawberry Jizz,but there`s always an i to be dotted or a t to be crossed....:)

This fellow was "driving extremely slowly/breaking down"....I`m taking it here that it was the vehicle which was breaking-down,rather than some form of emotional event being suffered by the Driver ?

(Mind you,I`m mindful here that the breakdown as described could well be some *farcical cynical imaginary whims expressed only between the right and left ear of the coach driver*... :) )

As somebody who has operated the very best and worst of Public Service Vehicle engineering,I can perhaps identify with a Driver who is attempting to get to grips with a Bus/Coach on it`s last legs.

Quite often,the problem will be of an electronic or engine-protection nature which will keep reoccuring until maintenance attend to it....but in the meantime it will demand constant attention from the driver to keep it mobile.

As for Satisfaction...?...nah I`m afraid I`m with MP Jagger on this one...I can`t get none.... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

To be honest, if you complain to them as much and on many of the topics that you say you so on here, I'm not shocked that many of your complaints end up ignored.

• Advertisement

To be honest, if you complain to them as much and on many of the topics that you say you so on here, I'm not shocked that many of your complaints end up ignored.
    Drivers using mobiles while driving, Windows on coaches broken, Coaches not up to standards set down by the company, Timetables being ignored by drivers etc etc are any of these complaints not valid? Why would any company chose to ignore such complaints?

Advertisement