Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I put a border collie on a long chain or is it cruel???

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Bobbins

Collies are in high numbers in rehoming shelters largely due to their original owners under-estimating the amount of care and mental & physical stimulation that they require. Leaving a very intelligent, energetic breed tied up to become bored & lonely should be reason enough not to get one in the first place. Getting two dogs to try and combat this isn't really the answer in my opinion. I hope you make the right decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭ste2006

I picked up Tayto today and he is a lovely dog, Very calm and i was told he is not used to working so is happy playing with toys, excercise etc,

Thanks for all the advice,

S

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Louisecon

On the new dog. Give yourselves time and patience, and never be afraid to ask for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Congrats on the new pooch, pics!!

Can never have too many toys, we ended up getting a toy box for our lot.
    Mind you there's more strewn around the garden than in the box, it's so cute though to watch them go to it and pick out their favourite toy of the day.

Our collie loooved the Kong tennis balls with the squeek, at the mo her fave. is a squeeky pig. She sticks to one toy at a time though so if she throws the pig at you and you throw the cow she won't go for it, she'll only go for the pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Best of luck, OP.

I hope that you can erect a secure run for the dog - it is much more humane and safe than a tie-out. If you are coming home at lunchtime to him and he has plenty of exercise and activity in the evenings and at weekends it should work out ok. The electric fence systems are not reliable and collies are very sensitive to any form of punishment and your lad might not cope well with the "training-in" period these products require.

I know you're keen to get active with him, but bear in mind he is still young and growing - and he may not be very fit, depending on how much exercise he got in his previous home. So build up the distance of your walks gradually with him.

Please keep a close eye on him and don't let him out the front door into your unsecured garden without supervision - a bored collie with the freedom to roam or chase cars/bicycles/passers-by/livestock is an accident waiting to happen. You don't have to learn that the hard way - keep him safe. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭perri winkles

Oh Im delighted for you! Im so glad you went down the rescue route. Well done :)

You have years of fun and friendship ahead of you. Best of luck and enjoy him!

Hi All,

Just a small update, He is very happy and well behaved,

I have a long 8M Stretchy lead for him to walk with me but he is very well behaved,

He only looks at cows and sheep through a gate in interest as if he has never seen one before,

I have a fenced off section about 15M long for him and am looking at fencing of the front also to let him roam further,

I bought a small Barna shed for him as a kennel yesterday so he is sitting in there now out of the rain,

Thanks again for all the advice and ill be back with more questions no doubt

S

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

ste2006 wrote: »
    I was looking at my garden so i can fence it off at about 5 foot high all around, The garden space would be about 15M x 3M and i would build a kennel for it in this also,

I am now looking at perhaps a Collie / Lab cross from a shelter, Anyone any thoughts on dogs from a shelter or will they be fairly wild etc???

We got a lab/foxhound cross from dogs in distress. She is the sweetest, calmest and best behaved dog I've ever met! Everyone loves her, and she loves being with people. As it has been said - most of the dogs are fostered out to families, so they can tell you what kind of temperment the dogs have.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Noz

I picked up Tayto today and he is a lovely dog

Congratulations! I have a one year old Lab/Collie cross girl and she is the best dog ever, they have the best of both breeds I think so good choice! Tayto is gorgeous, you will give him a lovely life if you are so concerned about him and looking for all that advice before you even got him, he is a lucky dog.

My dog loves her dinner in Kong balls, we put the dry food into them, run them under the tap for a minute, then pop in the freezer until the morning, it takes her a good half an hour and a lot of effort for her to get the food out and it's good mental stimulation for the collie bit of her. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

I picked up Tayto today and he is a lovely dog, Very calm and i was told he is not used to working so is happy playing with toys, excercise etc,

Thanks for all the advice,

S

dats superb - feel so happy for you and Tayto! can't believe i posted him and you took him :D that's what my face looks like at the mo

• Advertisement

Ah yes thanks for posting him,

I never even knew that dog shelters existed like that,

He is great though, I am now trying to work out bedding and toys for him to keep him busy so if anyone has any suggestions it would be great :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

I HATE to see dogs tied up :(

Fair play for giving a rescue dog another chance ;)

Just wanted to point out something though - you say you are in rented accomodation? Have you thought about what would happen if you had to move and couldnt find a suitable house that allows pets? Dont mean to rain on your parade but I tried renting a few years ago with my dog (was living at home and needed to get out!) and it was impossible :mad: I even offered to pay triple the deposit incase anything was damaged (my dog was way past the chewing stage and is very well behaved) but no they didnt want to know.

Its just I have seen countless ads for people having to give away their dog coz they are moving to a new house and arent allowed keep pets.

Hope it doesnt come to that but its something you might need to think about :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Ikea is pretty good for all things dog related.
    And there is this huge place out in Tallaght - Maxi Zoo
    I think Ikea was actually cheaper. We bought a bed, and then loads of fleeces so we can keep swapping them and washing them. Also bought a load of cheapo towels that I can just boil wash. I think they were less than €1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 257 ✭✭PaulB91

you can get plastic large beds from argos for €22 - i got four of them, one i have had for about 4 years! as for toys, i'd go for the kong with food stuffed inside and frozen so he'll have fun trying to get it out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 dermolara

Border collies are a fab Dog, but are working Dogs, they need to run around a lot, Very intelient dogs as well. If he gets plenty of exercise in the evenings etc, i mean an hour or so of him running mental around he should be fine. Wet collars are not good for the dogs neck area, and leather/nylon smell horrible when they get wet. Good luck with the border, there fab.

On the renting house thing do not worry,

I will stay where i am for a few years and then build a nice house in the country, Failing that i have relatives with a huge farm and another few dogs so he could spend some time there,

Im going to put some insulation down over his floor later this week and then put some marine ply over it so hell have an insulated floor :D

Im also going to pick up one of those red lamps for the shed so i can turn it on if the weather gets too cold,

I do bring him for a walk in the morning and a quick play, A play at lunch and let him walk around the house, A walk in the evening and then let him wander around the house with me again and put him to bed about half ten every night,

Soon he will have the best house there is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭terenc

Collies or any breed can be turned from a well behaved dog into attack and bite mode using chains.
    Why not train it to stay inside when you are away. It will take time and patience but well worth the effort.

Dont worry he is not on a chain :-)

He roams around my fenced in garden

Advertisement