Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

yellow hen wrote: »

Sorry girls, another question. I have expressed milk from Monday and Tuesday this week. Can they be mixed into the same bottle for feeding today?

Yep, they can be mixed :)

Kellymom.com is a great resource for answers on storage and things like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

I have a question, my lo has been EBF since birth and she's 11 wks today, problem is I had difficulty getting her to take an expressed milk bottle and gave her one a day for the 3 day weekend just to get her used to it when himself was home. Now her latch is a little off and she seems to be sucking on my nipple but I don't know if that's for comfort or what.

I know she's getting enough because she's loads of wet nappies and got a whole lotta sick last night (had to change the sheets and the duvet cover!). Any insights would be appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Piper101 wrote: »
    I have a question, my lo has been EBF since birth and she's 11 wks today, problem is I had difficulty getting her to take an expressed milk bottle and gave her one a day for the 3 day weekend just to get her used to it when himself was home. Now her latch is a little off and she seems to be sucking on my nipple but I don't know if that's for comfort or what.

I know she's getting enough because she's loads of wet nappies and got a whole lotta sick last night (had to change the sheets and the duvet cover!). Any insights would be appreciated

There could be a little bit of nipple confusion. The bottle lets liquid flow so freely compared to having to work at the breast.
    If her latch is a bit off its worth correcting her until you're happy she has a good deep latch, to make sure you both stay comfortable :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Hi girls, baby O is three weeks old tomorrow and up to now has been exclusively breastfed and has had about 5 very pooey nappies per day.

On Friday night he was just starving and my boobs were aching do we have him some aptimil first milk (from carton, not powder). He only took about 1.5oz and fell asleep. Starving again yesterday and he took about 3oz of the aptimil last night . However he's been a bit off... Bit cranky and irritable and hasn't had a poo since 12pm yesterday lunchtime. This is really odd for him and I'm concerned that this is what's causing the irritability. Should I be concerned yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭littlemissfixit

I wouldnt worry yet, its quite normal when introducing formula that the little guts need a bit of time to adjust (crankiness could be a side effect too), if you're still concern after a few days, talk to your phn or gp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

When I started BF I said to myself I'd give it a go until it didn't suit anymore and then I wouldn't beat myself up about it knowing I'd done my best. Now I really don't want to give up and because of that I'm dreading going back to work, she's thriving and loves being BF and im scared ill emotionally scar the two of us!

Went out last night for 4 hours and left my partner with an expressed bottle and when I got home she wouldn't even look at me (the little wench fed alright) and kept smiling at her dad!!! :( anyone had this experience? Should I start leaving her more to get her used to it? She's nearly 12 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

yellow hen, that was probably a growth spurt. They're tough going because the feeding can be frenzied, youre exhausted, your breasts feel completely empty and you just naturally assume you haven't enough milk.

This is where a great leap of faith is necessary. He is feeding do much because he's sending a signal to your body to create more milk for him as he's growing and needs more. Your body will respond and will make more milk as long as you give him unrestricted access to your breasts and let him latch on when he wants.

I think the first couple of growth spurts are the big stumbling blocks for mums. I remember the 6 week one as being horrific but at least I knew to expect it. Although nothing quite prepared me for the intensity of it.

I think after the 6 week one it gets easier.

If you supplement with formula you're interrupting the process of increasing your milk supply. I know it's hard to have faith in something like breastfeeding when you can't measure the intake etc but that's what's needed.

It's your personal decision whether or not to supplement with fornula but doing so can have an adverse effect on your supply.

Thanks lilmissfixit and how strange. I'm going to try give the formula a miss tonight and hope his little bowels return to normal.he seems to be in so much pain :(

How strange, you're right in describing the last few days. I felt like my boobs were completely empty...they were so deflated :( he was ravenous and I got upset that I couldn't give him enough hence the formula.

I've massaged his belly this morn and it seems so hard. Poor little pet. Breaks your heart watching them in pain :(

Thanks lilmissfixit and how strange. I'm going to try give the formula a miss tonight and hope his little bowels return to normal.he seems to be in so much pain :(

How strange, you're right in describing the last few days. I felt like my boobs were completely empty...they were so deflated :( he was ravenous and I got upset that I couldn't give him enough hence the formula.

I've massaged his belly this morn and it seems so hard. Poor little pet. Breaks your heart watching them in pain :(

I had read it wrongly, didn't get that you were giving formula because you thought he wasnt getting enough! In this case, I would second what How strange has said, and they often do have less bowel mov when in growth spurt because they use pretty much everything they get from the milk.

It does break your heart to see them in pain, but we have to remember that their little bodies are constantly adapting and that it will normally not last very long, do the bicycle with his legs, or lay him on his tummy on your lap, always worked at relieving mines.

When I started BF I said to myself I'd give it a go until it didn't suit anymore and then I wouldn't beat myself up about it knowing I'd done my best. Now I really don't want to give up and because of that I'm dreading going back to work, she's thriving and loves being BF and im scared ill emotionally scar the two of us!

Went out last night for 4 hours and left my partner with an expressed bottle and when I got home she wouldn't even look at me (the little wench fed alright) and kept smiling at her dad!!! :( anyone had this experience? Should I start leaving her more to get her used to it? She's nearly 12 weeks

First of all, she'll have no emotional scar from you starting work, I do believe though that for both of you, it is better to do it gradually if you can get someone else to look after her regularly. You dont have to stop breastfeeding either if you dont want to, I know a lot of people who continue, the child feeds morning and evening and sometimes at night (not sure what age they can easily go through the day though, maybe someone with that experience can comment!), for over 2 months I breastfed my boy just 7am, 7pm and 10pm when he was 7-8 months and he was having formula (if you dont want express) during the day.
    It is also good for her emotinal and social development that she has more contacts with other people, including the dad and others, so by taking a little step back you are actually doing her great service so dont feel guilty about it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

Hi everyone, I wrote a few weeks ago wondering why people give up breastfeeding but since I've had my little girl I know why. The first couple days were hard cos she seemed to be always on the boob, but I ate cheese one day and she was in so much pain and we were wrecked, yesterday I had vegetable soup I don't think that agreed with her.. again in alot of pain I literally ran down to the shop to buy formula, I can't let her be in pain from me, I gave her 3 bottles so far since last night but I don't want to give up bf. I don't know what to do. Can I give her the breast today? Or do I keep going with the bottles now? If I can keep going what foods should I stay away from? I got infacol as well. Can I give her formula at night and breast throughout the day? Thank u so so much. Also when I went to shop mum gave her cool boiled water when I got back dirty nappy was made and lots of wind..
    The nurses told me bf babies don't need to be winded.. obviously a lie ha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

Yes you can go back to boob today. In fact do if you want to keep feeding. Giving formula is a vicious circle when you want to keep feeding(learned the very hard way)! If you know there's something triggering avoid it but in general you don't need to avoid anything.

Had she been constipated yesterday maybe as opposed to the vegetable soup? My little girl used scream for hours at night and during the day with constipation: breastfed babies do of course need winding and sometimes a lot if their latch is anyway sloppy. Breastfed babies get colic and do everything bottle fed babies do! It can be more unusual but seriously it happens.

If you want to combo feed I think it's normally bottles you would give during day because the milk at night is supposed to be richer or something (could be completely wrong but I've been told that so many times it seems to have stuck).

Have you any breastfeeding groups near you? They really are fantastic :)

annettea, congrats on your little daughter. Sometimes we have to tweak our diets if we notice the baby reacting baby after eating something. However from a digestive point if view breastmilk is infinitely kinder to their tummies than formula.

If you want to continue with breastfeeding the best thing you can do is let her feed as much as she wants to for the next few days. She may (or may not) fuss at the breast now because she's gotten a little used to the faster flow of bottles. So you may need a little patience with her for a few days while she gets used to having to work harder to get the breastmilk. If she's particularly fussy just get into bed a d do lots of skin to skin and snuggle together. I can't think of more perfect weather for snuggling up in bed!

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭annettea

Thank you so much. Ill try back to just breastfeeding and see how it goes. Its just its hard to see them in so much pain. Is there anything I can do for her constipation? ? I gave infacol and it seems to help with the wind a little .. also when she was born I was literally starving her so I had to be kept in for a few extra days with her feeding.. how do I know she's getting enough is feeding her an hour every 3 hours enough?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

annettea wrote: »

They are supposed to be less prone to it, but my two (breastfed) babies were very windy!! As others have said, however, formula is much harder for their little tummies to digest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

annettea wrote: »
    Oh God!

My little fella did not need to be winded after breastfeeding but actually in the middle (at first I thought this was the end of a feed, he would feel full and fall asleep but actually it was trapped wind and so he was feeding often and only from fore milk I think. He didn't put on much weight til I figured it out with the help of the midwife. Once I started burping him in the middle of the feed, he was not falling asleep until he really had had enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Anneata - I would feed when she wants rather than every 3 hrs when breast feeding, my little one would go anywhere between 1 to 3 hrs between feeds and sometimes I used to think it was something ele that was bothering her as she would be crying and then I'd feed her early and it would fix the problem straight away! I think they go thru hungry spells and growth spurts without alway rhyme nor reason! My little girl also reacted to a lot of foods - I used to have to keep a food diary of what I ate so I kinda disagree with eating whatever u like! I had to avoid cabbage, peppers, onions, chocolate, citrus fruits...until I figured out these we're the things she was sensitive to it was really hard! I totally agree you can just go straight bak to the breast today! And as the others said the sooner the better for your supply! I love the thought of spending all day in bed just hugging and feeding the baby too - do u both the world of good!
    I breastfed only for 14 weeks an I thought it would be easier to switch to bottles - I was wrong - I hated the thought of being a prisoner to it... But it's actually so much easier than messing with bottles! I do think after a few weeks its a good idea to introduce a bottle of expressed milk so that u can get a break once a day and the baby is then more flexible to go between the two. This made it much easier for us when swapping over to bottles!
    As for winding - I used to have to do a good 10-20 mins after every feed when she was breastfed! Totally windy baby!!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I'm another one who's breastfed baby needed winding. He needed lots of burping and leg cycling.

Annetta, the baby will get enough as long as you continue to offer the breast and let them feed for as long as they like. As long as you have lots of wet and and one dirty nappy per day, they are getting plenty. You just have to trust your body. :)

The other thing is not to be so certain that it is certain foods that cause the pain. My lad had colicky symptoms nearly up to 12 weeks, and at first I thought it was what I ate, but it happened no matter what, so it was his little tummy getting used to processing milk, but he was better with breast milk than formula.

You can buy stuff in the chemist for constipation, but remember it is normal for babies to go a few days between poos as breastmilk is fully digested leaving little or no waste. But, if you feel the baby is constipated, a little brown sugar (about a teaspoon or so) in an ounce of boiled water and let cool is a natural alternative that should get things moving.

Have a read of Kellymom.com, its a wealth of information for breastfeeding.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Of course breastfed babies need winding, the nonsense that some health professionals come out with is staggering sometimes. I think it really should be remembered that breastfeeding is not magic, it's just normal and doesn't grant special powers to the babies. Babies need help burping and farting because they have immature digestive systems, breastfeeding isn't going to change that at all. Feeding a baby in a way that is their biological norm isn't going to make them stop needing biologically normal assistance. I guess a lot of people, including the midwives and paeds nurses and doctors, haven't breastfed themselves so breastfed babies take on some sort of mythical stature as opposed to just being seen as the norm.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭KGLady

I don't suppose there is anyone with experience of migraines when they are lactating?

I'm combined feeding my 6mth old atm, and I've started getting them fairly regularly of late, always starting with the visual aura but not a full blown mega thumping headache each time. I've managed to isolate the trigger for them, and I'm sure its the result of a prolactin hormone surge as the recent ones are happening after (I've been lucky enough to get time to score one!) having orgasms, which create a surge in that hormone and it can cause issues with blood flow to the brain - hence the headaches. Its so frustrating to get a migraine or a grumpy hangover feeling after good sex and its not easy to find info about it online and there is just no way in hell I can see myself getting any sort of help from my GP or the PHN!

I know BFing means an overall increased prolactin level as its needed to produce milk, but in excess it also causes irritability and PMS like aggression which I'm so full of lately, himself is on eggshells half the time and its very out of character for me.

I just don't know if its time to drop the BFing in the hopes of the levels of that hormone dropping off, as I don't want curtail the already limited 'grown up time', for my husbands sake or for my own sanity either! I can't afford the time it takes to recover from migraines - or to continue being PMS like grumpy either, and I'm sure that aspect is down to a hormonal cocktail, not general stress nor is it a feature of my cycle usually. Himself is fairly baffled by the severity of it, but half afraid to say so, hehe!

So! Anyone at all got anything to throw in, before I thrown in the towel on the BFing completely? I know its a hell of a topic :o

• Advertisement

On Saturday I stopped breastfeeding cold turkey and for a good reason have not been able to gradually wean my child.

I pumped small amounts twice yesterday and put cabbage leaves in bra. However I am now quite engorged and can feel small lumps on each boob. What should I do to ensure this doesn't get worse?

I Should mention that I tried to hand express last night but it would only
    Work on one boob. The second one seems blocked 😩

Use a hot water bottle on your breast before expressing or even before latching the baby on. I know you said you've stopped but you may want to latch him on once or twice a day for the next few days to reduce engorgement as he'll be much more effective than a pump but that's your choice.

After feeding/pumping use a cold compress. Take nurofen for the inflammation.

Also getting into a moderately hot bath with your breasts submerged and then hand massage your breasts thoroughly until you see the milk flowing freely. You may need to have a few baths over the course of the day but a hot bath is great for unblocking ducts. the hand massaging can be quite uncomfortable but stick with it.

Then rest, rest, rest (either in bed or lying on the sofa watching tv and nothing else) as your body is fighting a sort of infection so you'll be very tired.

Hopefully it'll unblock the ducts and then reduce the expressing gradually over the next few days.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

KGLady wrote: »
    I don't suppose there is anyone with experience of migraines when they are lactating?

I'm combined feeding my 6mth old atm, and I've started getting them fairly regularly of late, always starting with the visual aura but not a full blown mega thumping headache each time. I've managed to isolate the trigger for them, and I'm sure its the result of a prolactin hormone surge as the recent ones are happening after (I've been lucky enough to get time to score one!) having orgasms, which create a surge in that hormone and it can cause issues with blood flow to the brain - hence the headaches. Its so frustrating to get a migraine or a grumpy hangover feeling after good sex and its not easy to find info about it online and there is just no way in hell I can see myself getting any sort of help from my GP or the PHN!

I know BFing means an overall increased prolactin level as its needed to produce milk, but in excess it also causes irritability and PMS like aggression which I'm so full of lately, himself is on eggshells half the time and its very out of character for me.

I just don't know if its time to drop the BFing in the hopes of the levels of that hormone dropping off, as I don't want curtail the already limited 'grown up time', for my husbands sake or for my own sanity either! I can't afford the time it takes to recover from migraines - or to continue being PMS like grumpy either, and I'm sure that aspect is down to a hormonal cocktail, not general stress nor is it a feature of my cycle usually. Himself is fairly baffled by the severity of it, but half afraid to say so, hehe!

So! Anyone at all got anything to throw in, before I thrown in the towel on the BFing completely? I know its a hell of a topic :o

I had raised levels of prolactin pre-pregnancy which I was on meds for. I have to say that while I did have headaches, they rarely evolved into migrane, and I never read about agression or pms-like symptoms being side effects of hyperprolactinemia. In fact, I feel it actually reduced the PMS symptoms that I had, so it may be a combination of other hormones that are causing that, but a blood test should identify what. I havent came across any information that mentioned that orgasms increased prolactin, and my endocrinologist professor nor my fertility specialist who were treating me for hyperprolactinemia never mentioned it to me, can you link where you found this information?

My hyperprolactinemia is caused by a benign microadenoma on the pituitary gland, and these can sometimes grow or change during pregnancy and breastfeeding, so its worth it to get an MRI. The adenomas have been known to sometimes cause visual disturbances so my vision was always checked during my antenatal visits. Again, an endocrinologist referral will look at all of this.

If you do have hyperprolactinemia, a simple tablet a day fixes it, however it does put an end to breastfeeding, but your specialist and yourself can weigh up the best way forward. I didnt have any problems when I came off the meds while pregnant, and was happy to keep breastfeeding, and because my adenoma hadnt changed, my endo was satisfied it was low risk for me.

Its sounds simple, but are you drinking plenty of water? Breastfeeding requires lots of fluids to be drank by the mother, and I always knew it if I didnt drink much water - a headache was guaranteed. You should be drinking a couple of glasses of water for each feed. I used to fill up a litre bottle a couple of times a day and keep sipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

Hi Piper101, I said the same - initially I planned on feeding til 6 months, then 12 & now we're still going strong at 17 months. Hoping she'll wean herself gradually, nights are still tough as she doesn't sleep through. I went back to work when she was 9 months. Initially I pumped & left expressed milk, but she never had much interest in bottles to start with & a lot of the time she wouldn't drink it, so a month into pumping I stopped doing it.

Once she hit 1, I started leaving some cows milk for her, but to be honest, it's not necessary. Once they're over 6 months and on solids, they can have water during the day, feed before work, after work, going to bed & overnight.

A lot of babies reverse cycle, which means they get all their milk while mammy is there & don't need it while you're gone. That's why my little one wakes so much. When I went back 1st she was only waking once a night, but as soon as I went back, she reverted to waking 3 times a night for food. I know at her age it's not required through the night anymore, but it's a hard cycle to break & I'm not great for following through on any of the techniques - eg No Cry Sleep Solution. Ah well, she'll wean when she's ready & at least I'll know that I've given her as much as I could.

Use a hot water bottle on your breast before expressing or even before latching the baby on. I know you said you've stopped but you may want to latch him on once or twice a day for the next few days to reduce engorgement as he'll be much more effective than a pump but that's your choice.

After feeding/pumping use a cold compress. Take nurofen for the inflammation.

Also getting into a moderately hot bath with your breasts submerged and then hand massage your breasts thoroughly until you see the milk flowing freely. You may need to have a few baths over the course of the day but a hot bath is great for unblocking ducts. the hand massaging can be quite uncomfortable but stick with it.

Then rest, rest, rest (either in bed or lying on the sofa watching tv and nothing else) as your body is fighting a sort of infection so you'll be very tired.

Hopefully it'll unblock the ducts and then reduce the expressing gradually over the next few days.

How strange, I've done all the above and thankfully all is good, thanks. In the end I did latch him on and it actually had a laxative effect on him which was badly needed. I'd love to be able to latch him on once a day just to have that closeness. Is it possible to only feed him that much and then use formula the rest if the time?

Yes it might be for you as y
    The engorgement and green frothy poos would indicate that you have an oversupply. Your supply might decrease over the next few weeks but you should be able to keep in up in the short term at least.

I'm glad you got the blocked ducts sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭scrgirl

How strange, I've done all the above and thankfully all is good, thanks. In the end I did latch him on and it actually had a laxative effect on him which was badly needed. I'd love to be able to latch him on once a day just to have that closeness. Is it possible to only feed him that much and then use formula the rest if the time?

yellow hen hope you can continue to feed a bit if thats what you want, must be so hard to have to stop cold turkey. After reading your post I went over to facebook and this article was in my newsfeed! It answers your questions perfectly! I love serendipity like that!

http://www.analyticalarmadillo.co.uk/2013/04/starting-formula-doesnt-have-to-mean.html

I gave my son 2 small feeds/day for a couple of months, I found that as soon as he dropped his dreamfeed himself, I was only able to continue the morning one for about a week. It may turn out different for you. If you can keep two, you will definitely be able to continue for a while anyway.

I was hoping to get to the 1 year milestone, but it appears baby has self-weaned, he had no interest in a feed this morning, nor the last few mornings.

For the past few months he lost interest in a feed during the day and he prefers to drink water from his sippy instead, and gets an aptimel bottle at bedtime since 3 months, so it appears my work is done at 11 months. :(

Time for another baby methinks! :P

• Advertisement

We limped our way to 12 months but our son had pretty much weaned himself at 11 months. I was sad on one hand but felt it was probably time for us on the other. I was having recurring eye infections which I think he was passing on to me to create antibodies (thanks very much!) but they stopped as soon as he weaned.

Congrats for getting to 11 months though. It's an immense achievement.

Advertisement