Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

**"Nine months off" starts from the day you FINISH breastfeeding :D

I love you.
    :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Just for anyone thinking about weening their baby to a few bottles and b/feediing at night etc. I'm 3 weeks in and its all going fine. I still can't wear my usual bras as I'm a different size in the morning compared to the evening, but def not uncomfortable.

So little guy is getting:
    8am boob feed
    11am 5oz bottle
    2pm 5 oz bottle
    5pm 5 oz bottle
    8pm boob feed
    9 - 8am sleep.

I have had to feed him a few times when I forgot the bottles / didnt have them sterlised etc, but this didnt mean I was swimming in milk the following day.

Still havent had an alcohol drink since May as I'm co-sleeping.

But I feel returning to work in 2 weeks time will be easy and weening onto solid food at the end of July will be a breeze too.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

Lads, seriously, "NINE MONTHS ON, NINE MONTHS OFF"!!!!**

**"Nine months off" starts from the day you FINISH breastfeeding :D

i love this!!!:D

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Just for anyone thinking about weening their baby to a few bottles and b/feediing at night etc. I'm 3 weeks in and its all going fine. I still can't wear my usual bras as I'm a different size in the morning compared to the evening, but def not uncomfortable.

So little guy is getting:
    8am boob feed
    11am 5oz bottle
    2pm 5 oz bottle
    5pm 5 oz bottle
    8pm boob feed
    9 - 8am sleep.

I have had to feed him a few times when I forgot the bottles / didnt have them sterlised etc, but this didnt mean I was swimming in milk the following day.

Still havent had an alcohol drink since May as I'm co-sleeping.

But I feel returning to work in 2 weeks time will be easy and weening onto solid food at the end of July will be a breeze too.

thats great its going so well!! nice to know the timeline too!!

ive introduced an afternoon bottle for the last week and its going great.

my routine is

6ish boob feed if she wakes ( i try not to feed her if she wakes before then as she can go all night)

8ish boob feed
    10ish breakfast
    11.45ish small boob feed
    1.30ish dinner
    3ish formula
    5.30ish small boob feed
    6ish supper
    7.30 boob feed and bed

i could prob drop one of the boob feeds as its more of me feeding her rather than her looking for it but i think ill keep them for another while as she is not 6 calendar months yet. but she is 24 weeks 2moro:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

Just over 9 months down now! At 9 weeks I never thought I'd get this far! So happy :D Such a cure all as well. I kinda wonder how I'd ever get him to sleep/ calm down/ stop crying etc without boobs!
    Still a little boob monster during the night, waking pretty much every 2 hours! Gotta love a bed big enough for the 2 of us!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

just stopped breastfeeding yesterday, after 7 months. Like you liliq, I never thought I'd make it this far what with all the problems in the beginning!

E seems not to miss it at all (started cutting down on feeds a few weeks ago, while we started solids, and he always got a bottle at night anyway - so there wasnt a massive transition in the end - and my body seems to take it ok (my emotions are different story - a part of me is finding it tough to let go, but another part is glad to be able to get my body back (which promptly meant a lovely little visit from mother nature. coulda done without that one for a little while longer...:D)

Well, need a bit of help, my sister is not breastfeeding, but her milk came in today and she's really engorged, she's trying cabbage leaves but is there any other way to reduce her supply?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

Well, need a bit of help, my sister is not breastfeeding, but her milk came in today and she's really engorged, she's trying cabbage leaves but is there any other way to reduce her supply?

Express by hand a really small amt - just enough to relieve pain but no more.
    Peppermint tea meant to reduce supply also!

Thank you so much DL, we,re trying this and cold packs and nurophen, never seen anything like it. It may have to be syringed :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ck83

Thank you so much DL, we,re trying this and cold packs and nurophen, never seen anything like it. It may have to be syringed :0

A cousin of mine had this problem a few years ago, and eventually was prescribed something from her gp to help dry it up... I suppose that's an avenue to explore if it comes to that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

That's awful. Tell her to go straight back to the hospital if she has lumps, red patches or has flu like symptoms because it could be the start of mastitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Anniebell

Hi,

Sorry to hear about your sister's engorgement. Sage tea is meant to be good for reducing supply. I've no personal experience of it as I'm still feeding but I know others mentioned it to me before.

Hope she gets some relief soon!

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

At his six week check up, my son had gained 3lbs 4oz since his birth weight. Very good weight gain for a baby who is exclusively breastfed according to the doctor. :)

Kinda stops the "are ya shure yer feeding him enough, would ya not give him a bottle" brigade in their tracks :D

*happy dance*

Congrats Neyite :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Feels weird posting on this side after the last seven or eight months on the July thread!
    After just a week of bfeeding one of my nipples is cracked and a very sore when she first latches on, but grand after that.
    I had to express during the wk when she was lethargic from jaundice and we needed to get fluids into her. It's been sore since then but only noticed the crack yesterday.

Any tips to heal it so it won't get worse? I'm hand expressing a little and rubbing it in. I had been using the lanolin cream all week and compresses that they gave me in the hospital.
    Any hints or tips appreciated? I really don't want it to get infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Hobbitfeet

Hi Kildareash congrats on your baby :) I'm no expect but breastfeeding my 1st whos now 5 months and of course had cracked nipples at the start. The same as you it did hurt when he latched for a few seconds but was fine for the rest of feed so I reassured the latch was fine and not causing the cracks. I also used the lansinoh cream and the just would not heal so I stopped using it, instead I gave nipples a quick gentle wipe with a clean cloth and then rubbed some Bmilk in also tried to leave them exposed without bra or top as much as possible. The healed really well and quick with that.
    To be honest I don't think I needed to wipe with a cloth don't know why I did it when I think back now :) I know people swear by the lansinoh but it just didn't work for me. Hope that helps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

Hobbitfeet wrote: »
    Hi Kildareash congrats on your baby :) I'm no expect but breastfeeding my 1st whos now 5 months and of course had cracked nipples at the start. The same as you it did hurt when he latched for a few seconds but was fine for the rest of feed so I reassured the latch was fine and not causing the cracks. I also used the lansinoh cream and the just would not heal so I stopped using it, instead I gave nipples a quick gentle wipe with a clean cloth and then rubbed some Bmilk in also tried to leave them exposed without bra or top as much as possible. The healed really well and quick with that.
    To be honest I don't think I needed to wipe with a cloth don't know why I did it when I think back now :) I know people swear by the lansinoh but it just didn't work for me. Hope that helps

That's great reassurance, thanks a mill. The WTE book said to just rub breast milk over it so that's what I've been doing today.
    Thanks again!

Neyite wrote: »
    At his six week check up, my son had gained 3lbs 4oz since his birth weight. Very good weight gain for a baby who is exclusively breastfed according to the doctor. :)

Kinda stops the "are ya shure yer feeding him enough, would ya not give him a bottle" brigade in their tracks :D

*happy dance*

Yay! That's great, well done mama!
    The "would ya not give him a bottle brigade" are a pain, great to be able to show them the numbers that back up what you already know- breastmilk is exactly what he needs to thrive!
    kildareash wrote: »
    Feels weird posting on this side after the last seven or eight months on the July thread!
    After just a week of bfeeding one of my nipples is cracked and a very sore when she first latches on, but grand after that.
    I had to express during the wk when she was lethargic from jaundice and we needed to get fluids into her. It's been sore since then but only noticed the crack yesterday.

Any tips to heal it so it won't get worse? I'm hand expressing a little and rubbing it in. I had been using the lanolin cream all week and compresses that they gave me in the hospital.
    Any hints or tips appreciated? I really don't want it to get infected.

Congrats on your baba getting here!
    The crack could possibly have been caused by expressing... Is she more awake now?
    If she is still a little jaundice (which is normal in babies), instead of expressing you could try keeping her skin to skin as much as possible (all day if you could) and let her latch on and off at will, instead of expressing.
    It sounds like you're doing everything right to help heal the crack. Changing position to nurse can help as well- like from cradle position to rugby hold, feeding lying down (life saver btw!), and practising laid back nursing, because it will be moving the position of her mouth and tongue and giving the cracked area a break.
    If you're persistenly getting cracks and are sore, it could be worth taking advantage of the lactation consultant that is available to see for free up until 6 weeks postpartum in most hospitals.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Hey all looking for some advice/help. I have a 12 day old baby girl who I've been doing my very best to breast feed since day one! She lost a good bit of weight in hospital and got dehydrated so I was expressing and she was getting extra milk after nursing - however in hospital her latch was never very good so was never too sure if she was getting anything. When we came home (5days) she seemed to settle a lot easier and was latching really well from day 6. I was still expressing but she didn't look for more once she'd nursed so I didn't offer it to her and she was doing fantastic till yesterday morning when for some reason she just refused to latch, she just kept fusing - we eventually gave up and gave her a bottle of expressed milk and this seemed to satisfy her. I then fell asleep for a couple hours and woke up with very sore and full breasts so expressed when I woke up as I was very tender. However since then my milk supply seems to have almost stopped - anytime I try to feed she gets frustrated as there doesn't seem to be milk there. My breasts don't feel full at all like they did up until yesterday - I'm worried that for some reason my milk has stopped coming in. We'd frozen breast milk that I'd expressed so she is still only getting breast milk but now when I express I only get about 100ml compared to nearly 200ml last week (as well as nursing).
    Not too sure what to do but watching my beautiful girl get so frustrated when she's trying to nurse is pushing me towards bottle feeding just so I know she's definitely getting enough - really don't want her getting dehydrated again.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

lmullen congrats on your baby daughter. The first few weeks of breastfeeding can be tough going. Once you get up and running (so to speak) breastfeeding is so easy and convenient.

Your little one could have tongue tie or wind or reflux but whatever is wrong can be sorted very quickly if you get the right help as soon as possible.

I think you need to see a lactation consultant. You can contact a professional lactation consultant who charges around €80 for a visit (best €80 you'll spend if it sorts out the problem) or you can contact a local Cuidiu or la Leche league counsellor who are equally trained and give their services for free

You should find support groups, counsellors and lactation consultants in your area on this site

http://www.friendsofbreastfeeding.ie/wp/

• Advertisement

lmullen wrote: »
    Hey all looking for some advice/help. I have a 12 day old baby girl who I've been doing my very best to breast feed since day one! She lost a good bit of weight in hospital and got dehydrated so I was expressing and she was getting extra milk after nursing - however in hospital her latch was never very good so was never too sure if she was getting anything. When we came home (5days) she seemed to settle a lot easier and was latching really well from day 6. I was still expressing but she didn't look for more once she'd nursed so I didn't offer it to her and she was doing fantastic till yesterday morning when for some reason she just refused to latch, she just kept fusing - we eventually gave up and gave her a bottle of expressed milk and this seemed to satisfy her. I then fell asleep for a couple hours and woke up with very sore and full breasts so expressed when I woke up as I was very tender. However since then my milk supply seems to have almost stopped - anytime I try to feed she gets frustrated as there doesn't seem to be milk there. My breasts don't feel full at all like they did up until yesterday - I'm worried that for some reason my milk has stopped coming in. We'd frozen breast milk that I'd expressed so she is still only getting breast milk but now when I express I only get about 100ml compared to nearly 200ml last week (as well as nursing).
    Not too sure what to do but watching my beautiful girl get so frustrated when she's trying to nurse is pushing me towards bottle feeding just so I know she's definitely getting enough - really don't want her getting dehydrated again.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

congrats on your baby girl and trying to breastfeed. i know how hard it is. i was ready to give up completely when my little one was 2 weeks old but i went to my local clinic for info and help and posted on here and im happy to say im still breastfeeding and she is 6 months old!!

al i can say is do try get help/info from someone who knows as how strange said. it does get easier and you milk supply is still establishing so dont woory about the amount you express being low. at the beginning i could barely express an ounce!!

i really hope you can get sorted as breastfeeding is comforting and convenient for both mammy and baby. if you end up giving formula dont stress or feel bad. you can also combine both or go back to full breastfeeding when you get sorted. goodluck with it and welcome to the thread!!! :D

I have no idea why you little one wont latch on but the only way I can think of maintaining / increasing your supply is keep her as close to you as possible.

My little one would scratch and hit the boob with his little hand,when it was empty, but not until he was about 6 weeks I think.

When he had wind, he would latch on, suck for a few times then with the nipple still in his mouth, twist his neck to the side. Hurt like hell!

Can you call the hospital you delivered in and ask if they have a lactation consultant you can see? Someone one on here said it was free for the first 6 weeks. My hospital in Waterford didnt have one. I got a lactation consultant out to my house for an hour and she really solved all my problems!

wmpdd3 yes you're right; the mother and baby are both covered in the hospital for 6 weeks. I'd be reluctant to send a breastfeeding mum back to the hospital lactation consultant as they're overworked so may not have the time to sit down with the mum and find the source of the problem and that's what a new mum needs most. A private lactation consultant or a la Leche/Cuidiu one will be available for follow up support afterwards.

Definitely do skin to skin contact though. I'd verb say get into bed and spend the day feeding, cuddling and sleeping.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I would agree with as much skin to skin as possible and latching frequently. The problem could be with the bottles - the baby doesn't have to work as hard to get the milk out and can get it faster, compared to breast feeding so could be getting a little frustrated that the milk isn't coming as fast as they would like.

If you are worried about supply issues porridge oats and fenugreek tea among other things are supposed to help boost milk production, Keep it up though, I hope your hard work will pay off! x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I'm sure I have been on this thread giving advice to others on this topic, but I just want to whinge and maybe someone has an idea I haven't thought of.

Baba #1 took the first bottle of ebm ever given to him by his nana at 5 weeks and gulped it down, no problems.

Baba#2 is now 9 weeks and I've been trying to get her to take a bottle for the last 2 weeks. Her nana has tried her when she was hungry and when she was settled and with three different bottles - no joy, roaring crying instead. Now, I've discovered the only bottle she doesn't spit out is the Nuk one, but she doesn't suck on it. She knows it ebm as I've dropped it into her mouth. I hold the bottle steady, her nana wiggles it, nothing. I've a fairly fast letdown, so bought the large Nuk teats and gonna give that a try.

I'm annoyed that I didn't realise how lucky I was with the wee man:rolleyes: I'm looking for any hints on how I can get her to suck on the bottle?

(If no hints, sympathy will do!)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Implausible, I give my 7wk old an ounce of Ebm in a bottle because I've to add the Colief drops to it. Its usually before the breast feed, but sometimes if he is too hungry or cranky its as if he does not remember milk comes out of the bottle and does not suck it, just tries to get this strange thing out of his mouth, so I put him on the breast for about 5-10 mins then if he lobs off the breast, I jump in with the bottle when he is a bit more relaxed or a bit sleepier but still in sucking mode.

Maybe a full feed in the bottle is a lot to get used to at first, try an ounce or two in the bottle, then onto the breast or vice versa, and gradually increase when you think she can take more from the bottle?

After 22 weeks of no pain what so ever, ive managed to get a cracked nipple.

Its not too sore and my sister in law is bringing down cream for me but how did i manage to do that? She never got cracked nipples.

The only thing I can think of is, I dont latch him on anymore, he just grabs boob and finds nipple himself, could that be it?

After 22 weeks of no pain what so ever, ive managed to get a cracked nipple.

Its not too sore and my sister in law is bringing down cream for me but how did i manage to do that? She never got cracked nipples.

The only thing I can think of is, I dont latch him on anymore, he just grabs boob and finds nipple himself, could that be it?

It could be him jumping on himself... have a look and make sure his mouth is nice and wide open when he does that!
    Is he teething by any chance? I always get a bit sore and blistery when my little man is teething :rolleyes:

I found at the stage when they could latch on themselves that I'd get a cracked nipple the odd time. Watch the latch and correct it of he's pulling on your nipple etc. Dab little bit of breastmilk on to the nipple and don't wear a bra around the house and you should be grand in a day or so.

• Advertisement

Liliq, he still doesnt open his mouth wide! Just like in the first few weeks, he never changed! I need to pay more attention to how he is latched alright, he has gummed me a few time recently, that might be it.

Advertisement