Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Pocos

Thanks all! Yes I have been hand expressing just to give myself some relief! But I was afraid I was making the problem worse! Making the body think I need that milk when I hand express so it will make the same amount tomorrow! It’s just weird how it’s filling up so quick, And so uncomfortable! Hopefully after a few days it will calm down!

She’s 6.5 months old so I assumed all this would be behind me at this point :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Pocos wrote: »
    Thanks all! Yes I have been hand expressing just to give myself some relief! But I was afraid I was making the problem worse! Making the body think I need that milk when I hand express so it will make the same amount tomorrow! It’s just weird how it’s filling up so quick, And so uncomfortable! Hopefully after a few days it will calm down!

She’s 6.5 months old so I assumed all this would be behind me at this point :(

This happens to me when I have a clogged duct :(

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭waterfaerie

Pocos, are you offering the breast first before giving solids? I wouldn't push the solids too much at this early stage if she's not interested. She should gradually start eating more over the next few months. You'd be surprised how little solids she needs at just 6 and a half months so if you're feeding her that first it might decrease her appetite at the breast. If solids are introduced gradually enough there shouldn't be any engorgement.

I'd say it's too long after the vaccinations for that to be the problem if she had them on Monday. If she's genuinely having a decrease in appetite for any type of feeding it could be just a normal phase. They go through phases where they feed more or feed less. Is she acting normal otherwise? If you're worried about it or if it's a very drastic drop in appetite over a long period, you could double check with your GP.

Millem wrote: »
    This happens to me when I have a clogged duct :(

Oh don’t say that millem that’s what I was dreading!!!

Pocos, are you offering the breast first before giving solids? I wouldn't push the solids too much at this early stage if she's not interested. She should gradually start eating more over the next few months. You'd be surprised how little solids she needs at just 6 and a half months so if you're feeding her that first it might decrease her appetite at the breast. If solids are introduced gradually enough there shouldn't be any engorgement.

I'd say it's too long after the vaccinations for that to be the problem if she had them on Monday. If she's genuinely having a decrease in appetite for any type of feeding it could be just a normal phase. They go through phases where they feed more or feed less. Is she acting normal otherwise? If you're worried about it or if it's a very drastic drop in appetite over a long period, you could double check with your GP.

Thanks waterfaerie for the advice! Yes I am offering milk feed first thing in the morning then I alternate between solids and boob rest of the day! So she should fill up on milk first thing and I kinda see the solids as a “snack” and the milk feeds as the mains! It’s just weird how quickly the left bob keeps filling up!!! It’s quite sore! But maybe I am giving too much solids, I read offer between 2-4 tablespoons and I’ve limited it to 2 tablespoon and often doesn’t finish it! I don’t push it! But maybe 2 is too much?

We’ve had 3 very bad nights of waking up every 2 hours in pain and then this morning she had a rash all over her face and body! So I rang doctors surgery went in and it’s seemingly a reaction to the 6 month injections! She will have “flu like” symptoms the doctor said! So pretty much lots of milk and alternate calpol and neurofen for the weekend! Fun times ahead :(

• Advertisement

Oh don’t say that millem that’s what I was dreading!!!

You would know though because it’s painful if anyone or anything brushed up against you.

:(

Thanks waterfaerie for the advice! Yes I am offering milk feed first thing in the morning then I alternate between solids and boob rest of the day! So she should fill up on milk first thing and I kinda see the solids as a “snack” and the milk feeds as the mains! It’s just weird how quickly the left bob keeps filling up!!! It’s quite sore! But maybe I am giving too much solids, I read offer between 2-4 tablespoons and I’ve limited it to 2 tablespoon and often doesn’t finish it! I don’t push it! But maybe 2 is too much?

We’ve had 3 very bad nights of waking up every 2 hours in pain and then this morning she had a rash all over her face and body! So I rang doctors surgery went in and it’s seemingly a reaction to the 6 month injections! She will have “flu like” symptoms the doctor said! So pretty much lots of milk and alternate calpol and neurofen for the weekend! Fun times ahead :(

I did baby led weaning so I'm afraid I don't know about how many spoonfuls but I'd offer the breast before every solid feed. They don't actually need solids at that age, it's just to get them used to eating.

That sounds like a strong reaction. The vaccinations can be so hard on the poor things. It's good that you've had reassurance from your GP. Hopefully she'll be feeling better soon. Yes, plenty of milk will sort her out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Not BF related but Pocos, my little guy (11 weeks) has a temperature at the moment.Had him in the doctor yesterday and there doesn't appear to be anything else wrong.We have had a few doses of sickness through the house in the last few weeks so likelihood is he just picked something up.He's not in awful form but I have to keep an eye.Maybe there's something going around.Also just to note Neurofen can be hard on their little tummies, so see how that goes.

Thanks shesty it’s more the rash that’s the worry! They are never a good sign are they? Form still up and down so alternating between calpol and neurofen! She’s getting tired much easier than normal as well!! Poor thing is just knocked from it! Hopefully be better soon! Hard to see them sick :( she has my heart broken!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

Any suggestions for particular bottles or teats to use if I'm going to start introducing one bottle a day. I've only been breast feeding up until now & am clueless when it comes to bottles etc. Baby is 13 weeks old. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Sausage dog

Any suggestions for particular bottles or teats to use if I'm going to start introducing one bottle a day. I've only been breast feeding up until now & am clueless when it comes to bottles etc. Baby is 13 weeks old. Thanks.

Hi sausage dog,

I don’t have too much suggestions in this one as our LO refused all attempts at a bottle! (Nearly 7 months now!) but the two most recommended to me were the Avent ones (easy to clean and straight forward to use!) and the nuk ones but esp the teat that are kinda yellow looking! They feel more like skin then the other teat! Best of luck with it

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Whatever works for your baby! My kids have had different preferences - my 2 year old did best with Tommee Tippee but my 6 month old is more of a Nuk or MAM kind of guy. You may need to try a few, and experiment with temperature. My older son was really picky about warm milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

Just ordered some lovely Breast milk jewellery (I've been wanting to for ages but we have been too skint!), and I'm so excited to receive it when it's ready. It's a charm bracelet with three charms, so I can't wait to add to it along my journey with my second little nurseling!

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Any tips for dealing with mastitis? Baby chomped down on my breast last week then yesterday it was v sore, this morning I have redness on one side of my breast. Do I just keep feeding on this side and it will rectify itself? I don't have a temperature or discharge

Any tips for dealing with mastitis? Baby chomped down on my breast last week then yesterday it was v sore, this morning I have redness on one side of my breast. Do I just keep feeding on this side and it will rectify itself? I don't have a temperature or discharge

rest and fed. change feeding positions. If you start getting chills go to doctor

Millem wrote: »
    rest and fed. change feeding positions. If you start getting chills go to doctor

Rest? What's that? :) Thanks Millen, hopefully it'll clear up in a few days

Rest? What's that? :) Thanks Millen, hopefully it'll clear up in a few days

I know I know! In an ideal world stay in bed!!
    In the early days I went to baby with the baby and just fed fed fed when we came home from hospital.
    I had mastitis at 6 weeks and I swear the sweats/chills and the shakes are no joke. Go to doc straight away if you feel them coming on.

Are you in pain? If so I found if duct was clogged warm face cloth on it.
    Some people put nappy on it instead.
    I

She's almost 4 months, plus she has had a stomach bug for the last week so she's very unsettled, she's only been able to nap in my arms the last few days and is up every 2 hours at night feeding so I'm not resting at all really. My breast is sore to touch but actually feeding her is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

• Advertisement

Digs wrote: »

Thanks! That's very cool. Dr Jack Newman is amazing.

Just to let people know, you don't need a kindle. I just ordered it now and can read it in a browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

In anticipation of a new arrival I've just bought a silicon Hakka type breast pump. Never really got to grips with pumping at all with my first two, the older one was getting one bottle of formula and number two refused all attempts at a bottle so just fed direct from source! Anyone have any experience with these types of pumps?

lazygal wrote: »
    In anticipation of a new arrival I've just bought a silicon Hakka type breast pump. Never really got to grips with pumping at all with my first two, the older one was getting one bottle of formula and number two refused all attempts at a bottle so just fed direct from source! Anyone have any experience with these types of pumps?

I have one. I use it in the morning when I'm quite full but I've also started expressing in the evening using the medela pump on one side with the hakaa on the other. I usually express more on the hakaa side!

It can a bit of practice to balance it while feeding so I tend to prop it with a cushion.

lazygal wrote: »

Congratulations Lazygal, that's great news!

I had great success with the Haakaa. It works while the baby is feeding on the other side. You squeeze it once to create suction and then just place it on and leave it. I found I needed to get it in place before the let down started and then it just filled easily while she fed.

Like yours, she only ever fed from source (still now at 17 months 99% of her liquid intake is straight from the breast!). I collected it for 6 months and filled a whole freezer but never used the milk.

It's so easy to use so you should have no problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Hi ladies. I'm looking for advice from anyone who successfully increased their milk supply.

I have a four week old baby. I have PCOS and had insulin dependent gestational diabetes. Baby was induced a week early.

I worked very very hard to produce colostrum in advance of the birth and produced only about 2ml, despite workshops and consultations and constant work at home.

When baby was born he latched for the first feed and got some colostrum. Then his blood sugars were measuring very low and it was recommended that he receive both a glucose feed and a formula feed. This raised his sugars thank goodness.

He never latched again.

I tried really hard with latching, working for 45 minutes at each feed for the first week before relenting and giving formula to a screaming starving child. He lost 10% of his birth weight in that week.

I decided then we needed to introduce the breast at relaxed times when baby was not ravenous. This has worked and he has gone from screaming at the sight of the breast to bring relaxed by it.

However. He still cannot latch without the help of nipple shields (which are a godsend) and despite pumping non stop my milk has dried up, going from 50ml total at each expressing session to 10ml total. I'm absolutely gutted.

Further I had an infection and was given an antibiotic that apparently will have reduced my milk even more.

I have an appointment booked with a lactation consultant this week. I've been waiting 3 weeks for it.

I realise I'm not hydrated enough and not eating enough. The breastfeeding problems are only one of a range - I had a post dural headache necessitating spinal surgery and the baby also has colic, crying round the clock, despite gaining weight well and having good digestion (apart from the gassy pain, poor thing).

What I want to know is if anyone has successfully increased their milk supply significantly and if so how they did it. Google throws up lots of trite rubbish on this subject like "You're probably producing enough! Don't worry!" Yeah well 40ml a day for a baby that needs a litre is not enough. I'd be happy at this stage with 100ml a day so he would get the nutrition from it.

Tomorrow I'm going to try to eat porridge, drink milk and fennel tea and stay hyper hydrated. Rest is not really an option right now and relaxing is a challenge.

Can anyone help?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

I should add - at present I put baby on the breast for ten minutes (or until my milk runs out) at the start of each feed. I then top up with formula and pump afterwards. An hour of pumping will produce no more than 10ml.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Food, water and rest (I know!) Will help massively. If you've no other children at home, set yourself up with plenty of snacks and water and set up camp on an armchair with the TV on (best way I could rest in those early stages) and forget all the other things you could be doing. Try as best you can to relax as this will also affect your supply.

I didn't necessarily have very low supply, but it was slow coming in and I certainly didn't have an oversupply when it did come in and did have to try increase it on a number of occasions. I was recommended fenugreek in the hospital and combined with porridge I did notice a difference. Even after supply was well established, if I went a few days without taking the fenugreek tablets I would notice a difference. I only stopped taking it around 1 year when I was reducing number of nursings/day. ***Only take these types of remedies under supervision/medical recommendations.

Other physical ways I found helpful was Feeding baby as often as you can (offer breast before bottle) and if possible try nurse baby directly (or pump) between the hours of 1-5am as this is roughly the best time of day for milk production. If you pump you can Powerpump (Google it as I can't remember exactly what you need to do) as it will increase demand and tell your body it needs to produce more at those times of the day. A double pump is better than a single btw. I also found that generally the best time of the day for me to pump was in the morning, after that, even with an established supply I'd get feck all, often less than 1oz. I know you probably already know this, but just incase, don't use pumping amount as a guide to what your baby can nurse, babies are far more efficient than pumps. Some women can pump bucket loads, others just a drop and some none at all and none of it reflects on baby nursing. Both sides for me have always pumped differently, and the leaky one was the hardest!

You will get people (even lactation consultants) that will tell you not to use shields. Yes you do need to be careful when using them that they don't make the supply situation worse, or baby isn't transferring milk properly, but don't get talked out of using them if a) your very sore or b) baby will not latch without them. If it's because of b) you will need to wean them off slowly. I'm almost finished my nursing journey with my little girl and we have been using shields since day 1 or 2 and they are the only reason I was able to last 2 years.

So to answer your main question, yes I did manage to increase supply, but I also had none of your additional medical complications. Have you contacted your local breastfeding group? They will have lactation consultants, and women with experience of nursing, and possibly even some with similar medical issues as yourself. I'd also rely on your GP for advice (If they are breastfeeding friendly) and (reluctantly) your PHN, although my experience with them, I would err on the side of caution.

Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Yoghurt87

Congrats on your new arrival Mystery Egg. What pump are you using currently? It would be a good idea to get the lactation consultant to check the fit to ensure it's the right size for you (same goes for nipple shields also), as well as checking baby's latch.

Baby and I had a lot of problems starting out also. I was initially using a Tommee Tippee hand pump but my supply was dwindling rapidly. I bit the bullet and rented the Medela Symphony from Medicare (I was about 3.5 weeks pp at this stage and getting similar to you, about 10-15mls per side) and within a week I was able to express 60-100ml per side, by 6 weeks pp I could express up to 150ml. Do you have support or somebody at home who can keep an eye on baby while you pump?

Mystery egg I had a terrible breastfeeding experience first time similar to yours in the sense of pumping not latching...wrecked not producing much even with the medela symphony which I rented for a month. Ended up with exhaustion and literally no milk came out :(
    I used to pump during the night...torture I know but that’s when you should get most milk ;)

You need to get a lactation consultant end of story. They will be able to figure out this latch business for you.

There is a great gadget by medela which you stick on to your boob and it tube attached you can put formula or breastmilk in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Lainey_b01

Ladies looking for your experiences of heading back to work and management of milk and if should consider formula feed.

Going back in 8weeks baby will be 9months and in upper end for weight. Plan in my head at mo is to feed morning and night with mix of express and water while at childminder. Expressing at work but only for comfort. At moment he mostly going to bed on boob.

Just wonder is der any argument for introducing a bottle of formula?

Advertisement