Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I found that too with my local bf group.Was so geat to talk to others and find tht I wasn't alone.

The hardest part of the first few weeks for me was doing it all my own at night.OH slept in the spare room, because one of us needs the energy to deal with no.1. It was very lonely at 4am in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

ja1986 wrote:
    Thanks! Because it's really making me stressed I felt like running into a wall this morning. Iv realised that the last few times she's latched on perfect was when I was sitting up straight on like a kitchen chair. I don't know if I'm just looking for any answer but today I'm gonna fix my posture and hope that's it .

Stick a stack of books or a child's step under your feet while in the kitchen chair and you won't feel as much of a drag on your arms while holding baba :-) Not as hard on your back either.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

I attended breastfeeding group in the first few weeks and it was great to speak to other mothers who had been through growth spurts and sore boobs.

I'm pretty sure my boy is teething, he's only 10 weeks but he has all the symptoms and I examined his lower gum this morning and you can definitely see and feel a white spot in the gum. Nursing him doesn't seem to comfort him now, anytime I hold him he's fine until I lower him sideways to feed and he screams his head off :(

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭ja1986

My daughter is two weeks since yesterday,is it possible for her to be cluster feeding at this time ? I can't keep up with her. Last night I feed her from 10 until half 12 and she wouldn't settle. I caved and gave her an ounce of formula and she slept til five. I'm wondering do I have enough milk? Doctor advise me yesterday to give her a dummy,that she might be comfort feeding. I really don't want to give one,although iv nothing against them my older daughter had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

ja1986 wrote: »
    My daughter is two weeks since yesterday,is it possible for her to be cluster feeding at this time ? I can't keep up with her. Last night I feed her from 10 until half 12 and she wouldn't settle. I caved and gave her an ounce of formula and she slept til five. I'm wondering do I have enough milk? Doctor advise me yesterday to give her a dummy,that she might be comfort feeding. I really don't want to give one,although iv nothing against them my older daughter had one.

She's establishing your supply. Giving formula or a soother can interfere with that. Is she having plenty of wet and dirty nappies? If so, there's no problems with your supply. The reason she slept for so long could be because formula is harder to digest so makes them sleep for longer, nothing to do with hunger.
    DD used to cluster feed from 8pm til 3am in the early days. Stick with it, the first few weeks are tough but it is so worth it. By about week 10 ye'll be flying it. You're doing really well.

• Advertisement

I would be reluctant to use a soother when she's still so young, I've only just introduced one to my boy and he's ten weeks. I know it's tough going but as Glenn Coco said above your baby is establishing your supply. There were days and evenings that I was feeding him for 3-4 hours straight, and during growth spurts all I was doing was feeding, but it does improve. Sometimes I would think that he wasn't feeding at all and he was just sucking for comfort but then he would eventually finish his mouth would have milk in it. The first 6 weeks are the toughest and it is tempting to use formula or a soother but I would advise, if you can, to stick with nursing until your supply is established in another month or so.

Glenn Coco wrote: »
    She's establishing your supply. Giving formula or a soother can interfere with that. Is she having plenty of wet and dirty nappies? If so, there's no problems with your supply. The reason she slept for so long could be because formula is harder to digest so makes them sleep for longer, nothing to do with hunger.
    DD used to cluster feed from 8pm til 3am in the early days. Stick with it, the first few weeks are tough but it is so worth it. By about week 10 ye'll be flying it. You're doing really well.

She hasn't had a dirty nappy in two days. I mentioned that to the doctor and she said bf babies could go a week without. Her stomach is rock hard so that's why I'm trying to faze out the formula ,doctor thinks its wind. I think it's poo. I pumped 2 ounces earlier and I'm gonna keep pumpin today so I can give her that bottle instead of formula. Guys thanks so much for talking to me !!!

I would be reluctant to use a soother when she's still so young, I've only just introduced one to my boy and he's ten weeks. I know it's tough going but as Glenn Coco said above your baby is establishing your supply. There were days and evenings that I was feeding him for 3-4 hours straight, and during growth spurts all I was doing was feeding, but it does improve. Sometimes I would think that he wasn't feeding at all and he was just sucking for comfort but then he would eventually finish his mouth would have milk in it. The first 6 weeks are the toughest and it is tempting to use formula or a soother but I would advise, if you can, to stick with nursing until your supply is established in another month or so.

Sorry just seen your post now. Ya I really don't want to give one. I'm just wondering is it normal for her to want to have my boob nearly every 20 mins! Last night when she woke at 5 I gave her boob and when I woke at 8 she was still on it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Sorry just seen your post now. Ya I really don't want to give one. I'm just wondering is it normal for her to want to have my boob nearly every 20 mins! Last night when she woke at 5 I gave her boob and when I woke at 8 she was still on it!

It's all normal! Clever little thing is establishing your supply! I know it's hard when you have an older one, but after the first few weeks, it does settle down!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Glenn Coco

She hasn't had a dirty nappy in two days. I mentioned that to the doctor and she said bf babies could go a week without. Her stomach is rock hard so that's why I'm trying to faze out the formula ,doctor thinks its wind. I think it's poo. I pumped 2 ounces earlier and I'm gonna keep pumpin today so I can give her that bottle instead of formula. Guys thanks so much for talking to me !!!

She may only have a dirty nappy once a week, perfectly normal, as long as they're wet ones - no worries. And it's also perfectly normal to to be feeding constantly! If you think her stomach is hard, try doing bicycle movements with her legs, or gently massage clockwise. Believe it or not feeding will also help with wind, because breastmilk is so easy to digest. I promise it gets easier.

• Advertisement

My boy can go all week without a dirty nappy and then he may have a few over a 48 hour period but he'd still have wet nappies. In the early weeks I mentioned it to my PHN and she said it was fine, that it was just the way he was absorbing the milk.

In the early weeks it can seem like all you're doing is feeding, there were days I can honestly say I had 30 minutes in total without my baby clinging to me wanting the boob. Friends who had breastfed all told me that the baby would be attached to me all the time but I never really appreciated how literal that was. It's great your baby has a good appetite and is happy to feed away, if you can try to avoid the dummy for a few more weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

I think it's too difficult to rely on the experience of others to know that this is normal ja. It can be and almost certainly is but A friend of mine had this from early on and it turns out her baby was trying to establish supply but wasn't successful and wasn't getting full feeds. Given your earlier problems with latching it might be an issue related to that.

I don't mean to be negative by offering this view. I think the best advice is to seek help from a nurse/cuidiu/laleche rep or lactation consultant. I know that my friend persisted for longer than she needed to as she thought the feeding pattern was normal.

as others have said, it will get better really soon. Hang in there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Yes, I would definitely recommend speaking to LC, Ciudiu or LLL. Formula is hard on their tummies and it takes much longer to digest so that may explain the hard tummy.

There's a growth spurt at 2 weeks, it is totally normal to be feeding non stop at this stage.

Your body can produce enough milk - if you give formula, your body will produce less milk. Think of it this way - your body was able to grow your baby, it is also able to produce milk for your baby. Trust your body :) You know baby is getting enough of you monitor the nappies and also weight gain is as it should be.

kandr10 wrote: »
    I think it's too difficult to rely on the experience of others to know that this is normal ja. It can be and almost certainly is but A friend of mine had this from early on and it turns out her baby was trying to establish supply but wasn't successful and wasn't getting full feeds. Given your earlier problems with latching it might be an issue related to that.

I don't mean to be negative by offering this view. I think the best advice is to seek help from a nurse/cuidiu/laleche rep or lactation consultant. I know that my friend persisted for longer than she needed to as she thought the feeding pattern was normal.

as others have said, it will get better really soon. Hang in there!

Ya thanks for that. That's what iv been thinking too. I know she is getting a good feed from my good boob but I'm not so sure about the other one. And her latch is gone again on that one so she may not be getting much at all.

Does anyone know if those support groups would help at the weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Ya thanks for that. That's what iv been thinking too. I know she is getting a good feed from my good boob but I'm not so sure about the other one. And her latch is gone again on that one so she may not be getting much at all.

Does anyone know if those support groups would help at the weekends?

You can contact a Cuidiu counsellor any day. I would really recommend doing that soon, as they can give you specific trained advice. We're all here for support but we can't see baby's latch or give you face to face support. Most support groups are on weekdays but join your local bf group and there may be weekend meet ups too.

You can contact a Cuidiu counsellor any day. I would really recommend doing that soon, as they can give you specific trained advice. We're all here for support but we can't see baby's latch or give you face to face support. Most support groups are on weekdays but join your local bf group and there may be weekend meet ups too.

Ya I already rang thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Actually I did give a dummy on day two.I said it to the midwife in the hosiptal because the baby was lying her bed asleep and still sucking and she said go for it, because she had no problem latching and was feeding fine.But if she hadn't been, I would have held off.
    I also topped her up with formula from around four weeks a few times.Generally on one feed here and there when it was just getting too sore or irritated for me to let her stay on for any longer.My supply is fine now- plentiful.But I would do it sparingly.Having said all that, mine hasnt really cluster fed badly, but my first did, and she was like that, on for ages at a time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,356 ✭✭✭Lucuma

Ja I'm finding that having bottle fed from 3 wks on w/ my last one it's a bit of an adjustment to what is 'normal' with breastfeeding. I'll be at 5 weeks now on Tues. I do miss the 'magic sleeping potion' properties of formula where it knocks them out for hours- even though I knew it was coz they find it hard to digest: it was still great! ;-)
    Some days can be 1 continuous feed here, it's so completely different from scheduled feeds. I also have times when I question whether she's getting enough from me, I think it's normal to feel insecure about it and it takes a leap of faith to believe we're actually capable of sustaining a human life 100% with what our own bodies produce!

Lucuma wrote: »
    Ja I'm finding that having bottle fed from 3 wks on w/ my last one it's a bit of an adjustment to what is 'normal' with breastfeeding. I'll be at 5 weeks now on Tues. I do miss the 'magic sleeping potion' properties of formula where it knocks them out for hours- even though I knew it was coz they find it hard to digest: it was still great! ;-)
    Some days can be 1 continuous feed here, it's so completely different from scheduled feeds. I also have times when I question whether she's getting enough from me, I think it's normal to feel insecure about it and it takes a leap of faith to believe we're actually capable of sustaining a human life 100% with what our own bodies produce!

Well today was a good day. From my phone call last night,the lady said try diff positions for the bad latch. And since she's always latched on with me sitting up straight I have her sitting up on my laps instead of across my body and iv had no problems today thank God. I also pumped yesterday and got enough for one bottle for her to get her off me for two mins! Thought I had formula fazed out until I came out of the shower and caught my partner giving her a bottle of it. Fecker.

Anyway I'm pumping here and will do for the night,I'm hoping to have enough for one bottle tomorrow for when my mam calls so I can have an hour's sleep. I'm sure il be back here with my problems but today was a good day.

The poor baby has awful wind and I know its from the formula. I'd actually suffer the bleeding nipples again then try and break her wind it's taking up to an hour on diff positions. And trying to get a toddler and new born out the door. Oh my God !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

Thought I had formula fazed out until I came out of the shower and caught my partner giving her a bottle of it. Fecker.

Wtaf? I'd have to be dug out of him. You need support, not your partner doing the absolute opposite of support?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Well today was a good day. From my phone call last night,the lady said try diff positions for the bad latch. And since she's always latched on with me sitting up straight I have her sitting up on my laps instead of across my body and iv had no problems today thank God. I also pumped yesterday and got enough for one bottle for her to get her off me for two mins! Thought I had formula fazed out until I came out of the shower and caught my partner giving her a bottle of it. Fecker.

Anyway I'm pumping here and will do for the night,I'm hoping to have enough for one bottle tomorrow for when my mam calls so I can have an hour's sleep. I'm sure il be back here with my problems but today was a good day.

The poor baby has awful wind and I know its from the formula. I'd actually suffer the bleeding nipples again then try and break her wind it's taking up to an hour on diff positions. And trying to get a toddler and new born out the door. Oh my God !

Great that you had a better day today. Those good days will slowly become the norm and you'll forget about how hard this was. Honestly! Keep in touch with your consultant in case anything else crops up. Best of luck!

Wtaf? I'd have to be dug out of him. You need support, not your partner doing the absolute opposite of support?

She was starving and I think he was trying to give me a break. Hes been amazing the last two weeks with help I couldn't have kept the breastfeeding up without him. Hes away this week with work so hopefully will be completely gone by then.

kandr10 wrote: »
    Great that you had a better day today. Those good days will slowly become the norm and you'll forget about how hard this was. Honestly! Keep in touch with your consultant in case anything else crops up. Best of luck!

Thanks so much x

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Well done for sticking with it! You're doing great.

I have her sitting up on my laps instead of across my body and iv had no problems today thank God. I also pumped yesterday and got enough for one bottle

The poor baby has awful wind and I know its from the formula. I'd actually suffer the bleeding nipples again then try and break her wind it's taking up to an hour on diff positions!

Glad you had a good day!
    Yeah I'm feeding like this too 100% of daytime feeds- with baby sitting up. I'm doing it for wind reasons, it really helps with that.

jeez you're flying on the pump! Baby is 5 wks tomoz & I pump every day and between both boobs I only get a total amount of 30-50ml tops. It's enough to make a few servings of Gaviscon infant anyway which is all I need it for.

My baby hasn't had any formula and is killed with wind! I looked up exercises for winding online & am using them all plus baby massage a few times a day. Plus Infacol before feeds plus feeding with her sitting up plus I'm drinking fennel tea before bed plus I'm staggering out dairy in my diet.

I have to feed lying down at night though otherwise I'd get no sleep. So by the morning she's full of wind!

Glad you had a good day!
    Yeah I'm feeding like this too 100% of daytime feeds- with baby sitting up. I'm doing it for wind reasons, it really helps with that.

jeez you're flying on the pump! Baby is 5 wks tomoz & I pump every day and between both boobs I only get a total amount of 30-50ml tops. It's enough to make a few servings of Gaviscon infant anyway which is all I need it for.

My baby hasn't had any formula and is killed with wind! I looked up exercises for winding online & am using them all plus baby massage a few times a day. Plus Infacol before feeds plus feeding with her sitting up plus I'm drinking fennel tea before bed plus I'm staggering out dairy in my diet.

I have to feed lying down at night though otherwise I'd get no sleep. So by the morning she's full of wind!

Oh my God you win ! It's tough isn't it. I thought I wasn't pumping enough milk to be honest. I'm going to relax on the pumping now because I don't want to confuse the nipples! Is reducing dairy for the wind problem?

Yep.
    GP said it can often be the cause. Today was my first day since I got pregnant nearly that I didn't have chocolate! Resisting the urges all day.
    Oat milk and soy milk are actually ok in the tea. It's drinkable like.
    I'm a divil for having cereal every morning when I should be having porridge (oats for bf'ing and fibre for bowels) so at least this avoiding dairy will make me make porridge- a bowl of cereal with soy milk is no fun!

Yep.
    GP said it can often be the cause. Today was my first day since I got pregnant nearly that I didn't have chocolate! Resisting the urges all day.
    Oat milk and soy milk are actually ok in the tea. It's drinkable like.
    I'm a divil for having cereal every morning when I should be having porridge (oats for bf'ing and fibre for bowels) so at least this avoiding dairy will make me make porridge- a bowl of cereal with soy milk is no fun!

I think your amazing for resisting the chocolate !!! When you said avoid dairy I was thinking cheese etc but didn't even think of chocolate ,what a nightmare! To be honest I have been really healthy since having her. I'm having my 2lt water a day,my oats in the morning and an oat bar throughout the day and fennel tea since yesterday. Doing all this for milk supply.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭holding

Lucuma - dark chocolate! Or a cup of hot chocolate made with cocoa, sugar, and plant milk. Or I make this homemade chocolate all the time, especially late at night when there's nothing in the house and I need a fix (starting to sound like an addict now) - http://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/2012/01/15/three-ingredient-chocolate-bars-1/.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I found any chocolate gave my first awful colic. Personally I'd avoid any chocolate - when I removed chocolate from my diet, the colic stopped (and I was having the same amount of dairy either way).
    Some people say that chocolate causing breastfed babies pain is an old wives tale, but it worked for me!

Advertisement