Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Breast Feeding Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Does anyone else get days when 1 side just doesn't seem to be producing much milk? With no sign of blocked duct/mastitis? It happens me occasionally, always on the same side and usually only lasts for 1 day before going back to normal. However, this is the second day of it now and I'm wondering if it's normal? Baby will become fussy on the bad side after a few minutes and will want to go back to the other side. Doesn't really bother me too much as she seems to get all she needs from the good side but I'm worried that the milk might dry up on the unused side altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

Does anyone else get days when 1 side just doesn't seem to be producing much milk? With no sign of blocked duct/mastitis? It happens me occasionally, always on the same side and usually only lasts for 1 day before going back to normal. However, this is the second day of it now and I'm wondering if it's normal? Baby will become fussy on the bad side after a few minutes and will want to go back to the other side. Doesn't really bother me too much as she seems to get all she needs from the good side but I'm worried that the milk might dry up on the unused side altogether.

My daughter used to go through phases of having a favourite side. She would get fussy and want to start on the same side at every feed. This would leave me with one boob bigger than the other, which felt odd, but I never had a supply problem, not that I noticed anyway:-).

I kept offering both boobs and it passed after a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

How many of you breastfeed at night while lying down? My 12 day old daughter is still taking 3 hrs to feed and settle at night which is a killer and a lot of tips I read suggest lying down while breastfeeding, to get some sleep.
    But I am afraid she will come to harm - that I could roll on her or that she might not be able to breathe for my boob etc.

Can someone put my mind at ease? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

I fed both of mine lying down at night, the second from the first night. It was the only way to get sleep

I followed the safe Co sleeping guidelines when doing this, duvet only to my waist, baby slept at breast and fed. I did often fall asleep when feeding but I felt baby was safe as I had made the bed safe.

It really is a saving grace, I was able to lift my sleeping toddler at 16 months, latch her, feed her for 45 mins and then get up to go to work, all while she slept!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I fed both of mine lying down at night, the second from the first night. It was the only way to get sleep

I followed the safe Co sleeping guidelines when doing this, duvet only to my waist, baby slept at breast and fed. I did often fall asleep when feeding but I felt baby was safe as I had made the bed safe.

It really is a saving grace, I was able to lift my sleeping toddler at 16 months, latch her, feed her for 45 mins and then get up to go to work, all while she slept!

+1. I did not do this with my first baby for the fear. And ended up switching to formula at night and breast during the day after only a few weeks.
    I fed and slept with my second during the night feeding sessions and ended up exclusively breastfeeding her for many more months than my first. I would put her back In her cot after feeding but would often fall asleep with her in the same bed. No husband or blankets etc on bed. I wouldn't have been able to keep it up if we hadn't fed lying down and dozing (safely).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

How many of you breastfeed at night while lying down? My 12 day old daughter is still taking 3 hrs to feed and settle at night which is a killer and a lot of tips I read suggest lying down while breastfeeding, to get some sleep. But I am afraid she will come to harm - that I could roll on her or that she might not be able to breathe for my boob etc.

Can someone put my mind at ease?

I fed this way every night from about 2 weeks in, I had a co-sleeper cot which meant she couldn't roll out and we had no problems when she was in between us either. She's 11 months now and only weaned fully about 2 weeks.
    I have 4 other children and needed to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Fagashlil

Another co-sleeper here, saved my sanity! I never used a crib, always felt safe with him in the bed, but know a lot of people that use a co-sleeper crib. I used to wear a cardigan, and only have the duvet to my waist, and only have him in a vest and babygro.

those of you with duvet to the waist - did you not just pull it higher in your sleep?
    I have a toddler who is fond of arriving into our bed. I would be betweenhim and the baby - would this be an issue for co-sleeping/feeding?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Happydippy

How many of you breastfeed at night while lying down? My 12 day old daughter is still taking 3 hrs to feed and settle at night which is a killer and a lot of tips I read suggest lying down while breastfeeding, to get some sleep.
    But I am afraid she will come to harm - that I could roll on her or that she might not be able to breathe for my boob etc.

Can someone put my mind at ease? :(

I co-slept with my daughter part of the night from a few weeks old. I just couldn't stay awake during the night. She started the night in Moses basket, when she woke for a feed I lifted her into bed and we both fell asleep.
    I followed the safe co-sleeping guidelines. it's extremely rare for a mum to roll on her baby.
    Co-sleeping while breastfeeding is the best way to get more sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

those of you with duvet to the waist - did you not just pull it higher in your sleep?
    I have a toddler who is fond of arriving into our bed. I would be betweenhim and the baby - would this be an issue for co-sleeping/feeding?

I just wore sleeves so wasn't an issue...

Re the toddler I would feed her from the side I put the toddler on when she came in before I went to sleep then move her over between me and the cot and let her feed from that side so her and the toddler weren't side by side when I was sleepy in case I fell asleep, and so I didn't have wonky boobs! First feed in the morn from the toddler side then again... Never had an issue.

• Advertisement

Thx for all the input. Just tried it out tonight and dozed for 1.5 hours with her feeding. Was very nice but am a bit concerned she didnt get enough as i was asleep so didnt change boobs in that 1.5 hrs...and shes still awake now.

Couldnt get the hang of feeding from the 'top' boob lying down so am now sitting up again - but it was a good first attempt !

Thx for all the input. Just tried it out tonight and dozed for 1.5 hours with her feeding. Was very nice but am a bit concerned she didnt get enough as i was asleep so didnt change boobs in that 1.5 hrs...and shes still awake now.

Couldnt get the hang of feeding from the 'top' boob lying down so am now sitting up again - but it was a good first attempt !

It takes a bit of practice for both of you. But at least it's heading in the right direction

• Registered Users Posts: 1,832 ✭✭✭spottybananas

I found it too difficult to feed from "top" boob until he was much bigger and able to turn a bit towards me and me not be nearly on my stomach awkwardly. I really think success of that position depends on boob size and baby size!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I never even thought of feeding from the "top boob"! I must try that! You'd think after all this time I would've known about that! Feeding lying down is the nicest way to feed, I've found anyway. It's so relaxing :)

Yes it was lovely to get the 1.5 hours sleeping instead of sitting up in the bed and I will definitely try it again for the first feed tonight - but as I said, last night I had to sit up to feed from the top boob and I thought it would be a quick enough feed, because she'd been feeding on me while sleeping, - but she carried on with her usual 3 hr routine, feeding on and off from 1:30 to 5am :S It meant I couldn't even get up to see my little boy off to daycare this morning, I was too wrecked, so daddy looked after him :(

Is it too early to consider giving her a bottle of expressed milk when it's time for that 3 hour feed, just to see if it will help her get to sleep faster?

Double post

Is it too early to consider giving her a bottle of expressed milk when it's time for that 3 hour feed, just to see if it will help her get to sleep faster?

I know it's not recommended to express so early, but I did and it didn't affect my supply. I know it's no comfort but your milk supply is most plentiful at night and by feeding so much she's working at building that supply. It will even out, she's only 2 weeks, those first 6 are the hardest, again I know it's no help right now, sorry.

If you do think about expressing, make sure you take full advantage of the break, when I expressed my husband found it difficult to get the bottle into her so rather than getting to sleep I got to listen to her cry before I had to give in and do it myself

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

Well done on getting the lying-position feed, cunning stunt. When I eventually figured out how to do it, I found it a god send!

One thing to remember if you do decide to express and daddy gives a bottle during those night hours, your boobs will continue to fill. I just found it very uncomfortable and couldn't sleep with the leaky hard boobs.

Could you try surrounding yourself with pillows to prop you up while you feed during those 3 hrs at night? I had a load of pillows close by that I used to prop myself up in bed and I put some underneath my arms where I was holding the baby up to the boob. I found it a lot less exhausting as you can just relax and let the pillows support you. Position the pillows under your arms it is no effort to hold the baby and he is safe even if you do doze for a minute, he can't roll off as your arms are contained by the pillows.

Those first weeks feeding is 'fun' but it sounds like you are getting on great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

I fed both of mine to 1 year and I went back to work at 6 months. It was actually very easy. They were only starting solids at 6 months but they just ate loads of food in creche, I would give a feed before work, straight away when we got home and before bedtime. Then I fed on demand at night which on my son was 2 feeds dropping to 1 around 8 months and on my daaughter it was like an all night buffet but that was more to do with her terrible sleeping habits.

They can do without milk during the day and water is enough but you have to be prepared to feed on demand at all other times. Once they know the milk is there they're happy enough.

Just coming back here to say thanks for the advice ladies. It's nice to know it's achievable and I can decide closer to the time what I want to do instead of feeling like I simply have to stop unless I can pump in work. I love feeding him myself. It's been a revelation. Also it never occurred to me I could store the milk in a thermal yoke. I was cringing at the idea of it being in the shared fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 gracielooks

cbyrd wrote: »
    I fed this way every night from about 2 weeks in, I had a co-sleeper cot which meant she couldn't roll out and we had no problems when she was in between us either. She's 11 months now and only weaned fully about 2 weeks.
    I have 4 other children and needed to sleep.

I am definitely getting a co sleeper cot for next time. I had an emergency c section and was shocked at the pain of getting in and out of bed till my abdomen got stronger again. I didn't even know about them before.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭madeinamerica

I am definitely getting a co sleeper cot for next time. I had an emergency c section and was shocked at the pain of getting in and out of bed till my abdomen got stronger again. I didn't even know about them before.

+1 on the cosleeper cot. easily the most useful baby-thing we own!

Hi all

am still soldiering on with the breastfeeding but it is getting very difficult. Did I see someone mention a 3 week growth spurt? Our little one is 3 weeks today and recently it just feels like she is on me constantly. I get little sleep because she feeds and then fusses, then feeds again, then fusses again repeatedly for hours - she's very hard to put down to sleep - even when she falls asleep feeding, she will just wake again when put down, and want boob. Even lying in the bed with me she will let go of the boob and then fuss and then go on the boob again etc. This is continuing in the daytime aswell. I have just come down with a cold aswell and am feeling rotten so it doesnt help.

I don't know if I have enough milk for her constant feeding - my boobs go from hard-ish before she feeds, to soft after she has fed - does that mean they're empty - because she just continues wanting them anyway......am I doing something wrong?

Someone mentioned above the comfort of having a co-sleeper. I bought one too after it was recommended, but she is rarely in it now - she's more often in the bed with me...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I don't know if I have enough milk for her constant feeding - my boobs go from hard-ish before she feeds, to soft after she has fed - does that mean they're empty - because she just continues wanting them anyway......am I doing something wrong?

You are doing exactly the right thing. Even if she's not feeding by her latching on she is instructing your body to produce more milk over the next few days. It sounds like a growth spurt to me. Hang on in there. For me out all started to get easier by 6 weeks. I think it actually improved a little by week 4. I'm feeding a year today actually. Never would have believed I'd by typing that in a million years.

Cunning, you are doing everything right, it is the hardest thing to hear as there is no solution other than to continue on. If it helps, in the first 6 weeks with number 2, as well as trying to get used to a new baby and feeding again I also had a 19 month old who had 2 x ear infection, vomiting bug and 6 weeks of conjunctivitis (which we all caught). Not meant in a "aren't I great way", but more a "it could be worse" 😉

Did you try pumping? Especially if she's on the breast more, once this passes you will have more milk so would be a good time to express and get some sleep x

Thanks for the response. I will try to hang in there - it's just mad that all I did today was be stuck to the couch, either feeding her or sleeping myself. Only had a chance to change out of pj's at 2 o colock and didn't even make it for a shower yet :o This breastfeeding had better be worth it! I have a 23 month old aswell, and he is in daycare (thank god) but he didnt get much fun out of his mammy this evening - I was too shattered. Thank god for the hubby.

I have a breast pump from medela - the manual type - but it only works on one boob ?? The other one is impossible to pump from, but the baby seems to get it working fine. I give it to her in a bottle, if she is still looking for boob after being on me a gazillion times. She always drinks it all so I know she's still hungry.

When is the ideal time to pump - while she is sleeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I used to pump once a day in the morning about 9am. I didn't enjoy pumping so once a day was enough for me. It must be very hard with a toddler in the mix too. I only had the baby I was feeding to look after.

I pumped in the morning too as that was when I had more milk, just a quick pump as she slept, enough to build up a store so I always had some in the freezer.

As to the 23 month old, you are having the mammy guilts, I can, and I'm sure everyone with more than 1 can totally relate! I felt awful for my little one sitting in front of the tv in those first few weeks until we all got into a routine, but now with hindsight I can say, needs must and she doesn't remember and hasn't suffered from it!

With breastfeeding if you can get dressed at all in those first 6 weeks then that's an accomplishment in itself. It will all fall into place so soon and you'll look back thinking that wasn't so bad :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

Cunning - skip the pumping. There's no need to pump at this stage unless you actually plan to be away from your baby and need to miss a feed. Pumping is just far too much effort in the early days of breastfeeding, it's just not worth the effort unless absolutely necessary! A shower is far higher up the pecking order than pumping! :D

This is totally normal at this stage - just let your baby feed, feed, feed. Baby's going through a growth spurt. Your body knows what it is doing - you are producing enough milk for your baby so long as your baby is having sufficient number of nappies per day (check the Kellymom website for info).

Oh and totally normal to still be in pyjamas and no shower! I had many days like that! Oh and regarding guzzling a bottle of expressed milk - of course your baby will guzzle it, it's coming from a bottle. Your baby doesn't have to work for it, whereas with breastfeeding they have to work to get the milk out (when you compare to bottle feeding).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Well done Cunning! Pajamas and no shower are pretty much the foundation of breastfeeding for the first few weeks. I found the first 6 weeks tough going and was constantly worrying if she was getting enough etc but then something just clicked and since then I honestly have found bfing so much handier than formula feeding. No sterilising, counting scoops, boiling/cooling water/ worrying about making up bottles while out and about :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭fall

Just wanted to say well done cunning. Pyjamas were my mammy uniform for the first six weeks, get someone to get you a couple of new pairs that are easy for feeding. I know the mammy guilt can be hard when you have more than 1 and I took it day by day so I didn't feel under pressure. But honestly you are doing the absolute best job. My little one is now ten months, flying around the place and I am so glad I stuck with it. That time in our lives is now just a memory. Great advice here on comfy pillows and feet up during the day. Box sets and food that is handy to eat are the order of the day. In those tough moments remind yourself you are a great Mam and say the little mantra "this too shall pass". Good luck on your journey

Advertisement