Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

have you ever killed an animal?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

theg81der wrote: »
    I`m veggie

A life style choice your perfectly entitled to make and should not be judged for it. However, how come you get the right to judge those who hunt their own food, or those who protect their crops, the ones you need to live; by killing vermin. Or are you quite happy to allow vermin to live in your house because it would be "wrong" to kill them.

So aminals shouldn't suffer, I concur, I do my best to ensure I get a clean kill, but you can wish suffering on our post's which of course has to be a metaphor, but for what? The posters themselves? If that is the case your cup of human kindness is hardly overflowing.

Here are a few of my recent dinners, all fell where they where hit. The infliction of cruelty did not enter the picture. One of those lads make an excellent xmas dinner. I do not judge you based upon your lifestyle, please don't judge me based upon mine

http://img208.imageshack.us/i/img0002cz.jpg/
    http://img682.imageshack.us/i/002cq.jpg/
    http://img249.imageshack.us/i/0012b.jpg/
    http://img176.imageshack.us/i/001cr.jpg/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

A badger, 2 foxes, 2 cats and a crow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭theg81der

My "lifestyle choice" doesn`t hurt any living think and your is no longer a neccessity, it is now a lifestyle choice. Not many people are killing for basic need - their doing it for sport, money, greed or becuase they`re twisted f&*ks, clearly its the twisted f&*ks that I wish harm to at least the others aren`t enjoying it they are just selfish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

A snail once when I was younger.... I heard something about putting salt on it so I tried it out, needless to say it didn't end well for the snail

edit: just looking at the thread title, I suppose a snail isn't an animal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

My "lifestyle choice" doesn`t hurt any living think and your is no longer a neccessity, it is now a lifestyle choice. Not many people are killing for basic need - their doing it for sport, money, greed or becuase they`re twisted f&*ks, clearly its the twisted f&*ks that I wish harm to at least the others aren`t enjoying it they are just selfish.

why did you even bother reading this thread if you're so set against it?

• Advertisement

Wishing harm on an other person because they engage in a sport, that's not twisted at all is it, a tad pathological but certainly not twisted. I need food to live, I'm an endurance a sportsperson as well, I need a good diet which for me includes meat; hence its more that a sport. If I eat my game, and I need to eat; how is that not a necessity? How I acquire my food involves a choice, but mine appears to me to cause less suffering to the quarry in question. If you think that when a person goes out hunting they are wondering how much suffering the can cause to the quarry you are quite frankly ill informed. In such cases you are talking about people with psych conditions not hunters.

I supply my own when I can, when I do my meat is fresh, has not being factory farmed. I repay farmers who allow me to use their land, by helping them protect their crops, which you use as your main food group. A farmer protecting his croprs is selfish then yes?

Do you know many hunters, are you psychotherapeutically trained to conclude they are psychologically twisted, how have you come to this conclusion?

corglass wrote: »
    why did you even bother reading this thread if you're so set against it?

Clearly because he is morally and ethically superior to others and needs to educate us. He or she just has a weak stomach, but is superior in all other areas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭nice1franko

If you wouldn't have the balls to kill it then you've no business eating it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

I took a kitten out in my car. It was him or me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭InkSlinger67

Did once unfortnately. Nasty incident when I was younger involving some spilled slug pellets and a hungry dog. I was only 12...how was I supposed to know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

It doesn't? Might be worth considering the massive destruction of habitat and the endangerment of several native species your lifestyle, heavily dependent on intensive arable farming, causes. We all leave a footprint; best try not to leave four from that high horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭SeanKev

I repeatedly kicked a stray Staffy to death after it attacked my niece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

SeanKev wrote: »
    I repeatedly kicked a stray Staffy to death after it attacked my niece.

So how many times in total did you kick him to death?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Cycling to work, out of Dublin, along the Lower Drumcondra Road, saw a pigeon get hit by a car and it looked like something major was broken, thrashing about a lot, I got off the bike and 'finished' it with my hands. (wrung the neck..)

I had a good wretch and heave almost instantly after doing it, not the nicest thing to be doing at a quarter to eight in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Some pretty horrible posts on this thread. I love my meat so it would be hypocrital of me to oppose animals being killed- Indeed I'm not opposed to it at all- I just feel really horrible when I hear of animals suffering unneccessarily. My college provides only Halal meat (there's an awful lot of Muslims) which I was ok with before I knew Halal meant the animals throats were slit and they were left to bleed instead of being taken out quickly and relatively painlessly. It's horribly barbaric.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Piste wrote: »
    Some pretty horrible posts on this thread. I love my meat so it would be hypocrital of me to oppose animals being killed- Indeed I'm not opposed to it at all- I just feel really horrible when I hear of animals suffering unneccessarily. My college provides only Halal meat (there's an awful lot of Muslims) which I was ok with before I knew Halal meant the animals throats were slit and they were left to bleed instead of being taken out quickly and relatively painlessly. It's horribly barbaric.

Halal slaughter is very quick provided the cut is performed correctly. The meat is still good quality, so it hasn't been tainted with the lactic acid produced by fear and adrenaline when the animal is stressed immediately before death. No need for reservations. It isn't pretty, but done right, it's not inhumane.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Killed a bird with the car not so long ago, in the middle of a 4 lane motorway, made some bloody noise - it wasn't getting up, put it that way. I may have made misery for a few worms as a kid and any spider that comes near my house is guarenteed dead but other than that my conscience is clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Some pretty horrible posts on this thread.

Yes, there was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 ZiX ZiX ZiX

Halal slaughter is very quick provided the cut is performed correctly. The meat is still good quality, so it hasn't been tainted with the lactic acid produced by fear and adrenaline when the animal is stressed immediately before death. No need for reservations. It isn't pretty, but done right, it's not inhumane.

I don't believe cutting any animals throat can be classified as 'humane'. They have a central nervous system and feel pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

Some pretty horrible posts on this thread. I love my meat so it would be hypocrital of me to oppose animals being killed

Very true in fairness. I live on a farm but, most of us eat meat and its pretty hyprocritical not to eat one thing over another. If you're gonna eat one living thing you may as well eat them all.
    Just gotta try to be humane about it.
    I dont condone shooting foxes for sh1ts and giggles but the aul boy has hens now and if there is a fox trying to get at them then BOOM. Thats one surviving over the other.

But we have had a dog wondering around our land for the last few weeks, at this time of year it would be standard to shoot him. Because there are lambs and calfs been born and moreoften than not they go all 'instinctual'.
    But this lil fella doesn't. He is so whites the sheep think he is another sheep and he wanders about them. I've tried to catch him but he's too scared of me.
    One of the neighbours or wanker fox hunters are ginna shoot him over the weekend if i dont get him
    This will piss me off, must try to get him tomorrow cos i gotta go up to the filth for a few days (dublin)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

BongoJuice wrote: »
    I mowed down a badger the other night on a country road near my house. I didn't feel all that bad about it. I couldn't help thinking if it was a dog I'd be a lot more upset.

Don't feel bad badgers spread tb in cattle, you are doing a rural service.

I killed two badgers in my car one night.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

MJ23 wrote: »
    I've drowned dozens of new born kittens, in a big bucket out the back of the house. The 3 cats we have must be very fertile, and every Tom from around the town comes in for his bit. The cats are wild, so cant catch them to have them neutred.

Hmm?.....so you feel obliged to go to the effort of actually killing the kittens but don't seem to be too enthusiastic about preventing the adult females from reproducing?
    If you own these 3 cats & your able to get close enough to snatch the kittens then why is it so difficult to lure the mother-cats into a cage for transportation to the vet?
    At least get some advise from the local ISPCA about the situation before you revel in dispatching the next batch of the little critters.

Thats animal cruelty in my book. And a bit creepy as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭MrMiyagi

A badger, 2 foxes, 2 cats and a crow.

Do kittens count as cats? Or is that a grey area?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

Thread closed, OP Sitebanned.

/Karma.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement